• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Congrats! Which card did you order?
I also retired my 1080ti, it was such a great card. But the jump to the 3080 is just mind blowing.

I believe it's an EVGA XC3 Ultra, if memory is serving me correctly. Not my first pick, but beggars can't be choosers (I generally DO like EVGA, tho, to be fair). Will be interested to see how the capacitors look and whether there are any issues with stability. Fingers crossed. :)

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Man im getting discouraged, still havnt found a single 3090 in stock anywhere
:(

EVGA's global product manager, Jacob Freeman, has said on Twitter that more RTX 3090s will be shipped to retailers next week. I'm hoping to snag one and then return my 3080 or sell it.

Damn, that's a bummer. What CPU do you have?

I7-4790k that boosts to 4.5ghz. Once the ti comes out or if I end up getting a 3090 later on down the road, I'll upgrade cpu/mobo/ram. Probably sooner, tho. Just waiting on AMD, but we'll see. Lol

Edit: upgrade gonna happen one way or another on or around CP2077 release.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I7-4790k that boosts to 4.5ghz. Once the ti comes out or if I end up getting a 3090 later on down the road, I'll upgrade cpu/mobo/ram. Probably sooner, tho. Just waiting on AMD, but we'll see. Lol

Wow, your CPU is about the same age as mine (i7-5820k); both were released in the summer of 2014.

I'm waiting until DDR5 and compatible CPUs are released before I upgrade, since DDR5 will be released next year; I think upgrading now would be foolish since DDR5 is right around the corner.

Thabass

Gold Member
I found a retailer saying they were getting msi 3080s near end of November so I was like ya sure why not. Just got an email saying nope, now no estimate of time 😑

Yeah, I'm pretty much done trying to get a card this year. Not worth all the hassle. Thank god new consoles are coming this year.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I cannot enable ray tracing in Control, which is maddening; the ray tracing option is grayed-out and accompanied by a lock-symbol and text that says that I need DX12 and the DXR API. I've reinstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience, the Nvidia video drivers, and the game itself; however, the problem remains. I even select the DX12 executable in the game's file directory when launching the game, but I still can't enable ray tracing. I've browsed the internet for advice and have come across a post somewhere in which someone said that they had to reinstall Windows to get it to work; there's no way in hell that I'm doing that.

EDIT:

I've fixed the problem; I specified DX12 in the game's launch options via Steam.

Last edited:

Nydus

Wow, your CPU is about the same age as mine (i7-5820k); both were released in the summer of 2014.

I'm waiting until DDR5 and compatible CPUs are released before I upgrade, since DDR5 will be released next year; I think upgrading now would be foolish since DDR5 is right around the corner.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy into DDR 5 in the first generation. It will be expensive, buggy and barely faster. Build a good and cheap DDR4 system now and upgrade in 2 to 3 years when ddr5 matured a bit.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Do yourself a favour and don't buy into DDR 5 in the first generation. It will be expensive, buggy and barely faster. Build a good and cheap DDR4 system now and upgrade in 2 to 3 years when ddr5 matured a bit.

Eh, I've thought about that too, but it doesn't hurt to wait and see the first reviews.

Yea, I know. =_=

Edit: It's here!! Surprisingly enough, it's smaller than my 1080ti! There goes any concerns about whether it would fit. LOL

Last edited:
Pics or it didn't happen.

Pretty shitty pic, I know. I didn't think to do a comparison shot prior to installing the new card and I'm too lazy to pull it back out. :p

Anyways, the card in my hand is a Gigabyte Aorus branded 1080ti. It's a big ol' girl. Installed is an EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080.

YJVO8OL.jpg

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Gold Member
Probably 3rd or 4th time I've had a 3080 in my cart, and went out of stock.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Thought today was a sure thing, as I got a 3080 in my cart and failed, then saw a 3090 in stock and got it in my cart and failed as well. Was midway through check out.

Maybe next week. Can't keep doing watching Twitch/Discord though as it's having a huge negative affect on my productivity at work... So somethings gotta give.

Probably 3rd or 4th time I've had a 3080 in my cart, and went out of stock.:messenger_loudly_crying:

Thought today was a sure thing, as I got a 3080 in my cart and failed, then saw a 3090 in stock and got it in my cart and failed as well. Was midway through check out.

Maybe next week. Can't keep doing watching Twitch/Discord though as it's having a huge negative affect on my productivity at work... So somethings gotta give.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

scraz

Thought i would share some tips to help people still on the hunt.

1. Go here https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/

2.The website itself is 100% useless for the most part but sign up for notifications if you feel like it. What you are here for are the like minded psychos in the disgus at the bottom and wait. The only way i found to get my 3080 was a kind soul alerting others to a best buy restock of 3080FEs today and i got very lucky.

Fuck the scalpers F5 GANG forever.

So, the shop where i ordered the EVGA XC3 Gaming contacted me today. Their supplier had sent the XC3 Ultra by mistake and they asked me if i'd accept it instead. No extra expenses.
Of course i said yes.
The ultra has factory OC and it costs 20 extra dollars. Wich in Braziland would turn into 100.

Still waiting for it to be shipped though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
OP finally got (ordered) a 3080!!! Snagged an FE from today’s Best Buy drop. Wow. I kept hitting add to cart for a solid ten minutes before I finally hit. Please get here safely, 3080!!

popebb.png

So, I was noticing some coil whine, nothing too bad but it was there, and the fans were a little loud. Did a google and found out there was a firmware update for EVGA cards. Ran the update, took all of 15 seconds, and now the fans are quieter with no noticeable drop in cooling, and the coil whine is almost non-existent. So yea, if you have an EVGA 3080 (or any 30xx card, I guess), check to see if it needs a firmware update!

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
'm waiting until DDR5 and compatible CPUs are released before I upgrade, since DDR5 will be released next year; I think upgrading now would be foolish since DDR5 is right around the corner.
Cost/benefit of being an early adopter of DDR5 probably isn't going to be that great. DDR4 memory is damn cheap right now.

J3nga

People will always say you need to wait for this and that and only then it'll be worth the upgrade. If you need more powerful rig today then get it today.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sweet, glorious 4k60. Oh how I've yearned for thee. :messenger_loudly_crying:

So far I've tested Witcher 3 (with config file changes to go beyond max, w/o hairworks) and the Baldur's Gate 3 EA, max settings. GOD, does it feel GOOD. I'll probably spend all evening just trying different games. Lol
Why everyone turns off hairworks? It costs shit. It's not 2011 anymore

Rbk_3

YouTube is currently processing a video of the GTAV benchmark running on my RTX 3080; the settings are the same as in the other videos but anti-aliasing is set to 4X MSAA instead of 8X. Also, the data has been labeled this time.

That is your issue. 8x MSAA at 4K is such a hog. When ever anyone runs max settings in benchmarks for reviews at 4k they don’t have MSAA on.

I have surrendered and I have cancelled my ASUS TUF preorder. Being 1,500 in the queue without my money and receiving next to no info was too much for me to handle.

I guess it was not meant to be, maybe when the new AMD SKUs release I'll manage to snag a 3080 somewhere. If not, well, it's PS5 time until the stock issues are solved.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have surrendered and I have cancelled my ASUS TUF preorder. Being 1,500 in the queue without my money and receiving next to no info was too much for me to handle.

I guess it was not meant to be, maybe when the new AMD SKUs release I'll manage to snag a 3080 somewhere. If not, well, it's PS5 time until the stock issues are solved.
BH Photo? How did you know your place in the queue?

Nydus

Seems that a good 650W PSU is fine. (corsair RM650x)

I OCed the 3080 TUF non oc to +170 core and +700 mem with maxed powerlimit. card draws around 350W.

im still getting a bigger psu since i want to upgrade my cpu in the future and may get a card with higher power limit.

but the tuf is a beast. max temp 72C and whisper quiet. quiet mode > performance mode.

Will test the OC version next. After that a Ventus and if i was not scammed a ftw3 ultra (that one most likely with a new psu).

VFXVeteran

Banned
Man im getting discouraged, still havnt found a single 3090 in stock anywhere
:(

Yep. I wasn't going to play this game so I went with a scalper price on ebay. I'm happy to have the card and get to work on my development as well as play CrysisRE at 4k/30 "can it run crysis" mode. :messenger_sunglasses:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Good on you for not being a fucking twat 👍

VFXVeteran

Banned
I cannot enable ray tracing in Control, which is maddening; the ray tracing option is grayed-out and accompanied by a lock-symbol and text that says that I need DX12 and the DXR API. I've reinstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience, the Nvidia video drivers, and the game itself; however, the problem remains. I even select the DX12 executable in the game's file directory when launching the game, but I still can't enable ray tracing. I've browsed the internet for advice and have come across a post somewhere in which someone said that they had to reinstall Windows to get it to work; there's no way in hell that I'm doing that.

Does RT work in other games?

Peter303

You might need to upgrade windows. I think DXR was introduced around version 1809 or maybe 1903.

Top Bottom