• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 50 “Blackwell” GPU Configs Revealed

What I don't understand is the downgrade to the GB205. I'm guessing the architectural improvements and having faster memory bandwidth helps, but still. Looks to be another mid generation for everyone else.

N4P isn't much of a shrink plus they need room for more AI.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So it might be the same thing as the 4xxx series where the top end GPU is the only one that represents good value for the consumer.
Typography Code GIF

Yeah I'll wait to see how the 5090 performs. I just want something that can max out GTA VI @ 4k/60. It's that game of if I wait until the 6090, the 4090 loses a ton of resale value as well. We'll see!
4k 60 for a game that was built to run on a 4 year old console? I have good news for you, you don't need a 5090 for that :messenger_tears_of_joy: Is the PC version even announced btw?
Maybe a new CPU, depending what you're holding on to right now, but your current GPU should be fine to run those resolutions at 120hz

I have a 3080 and reading this and thinking of the price increases and shortages and all that I might just buy a 4080 Super now and wait it out.
Shortages for an xx80? What shortages? Only shortage is the FOMO some people have, just relax and wait for benchmarks. Most likely all the games you want to play will run really well on your current gpu, unless you're stuck on an 8gb Vram card or so.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
4k 60 for a game that was built to run on a 4 year old console? I have good news for you, you don't need a 5090 for that :messenger_tears_of_joy: Is the PC version even announced btw?
Maybe a new CPU, depending what you're holding on to right now, but your current GPU should be fine to run those resolutions at 120hz

Eh, there's already several games that the 4090 can't run at 4k/60hz native maxed out. Alan Wake II, Hellblade II, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.. etc.. Not to mention upcoming games like Fable, Marvel 1943, etc..

DLSS + Frame Gen gets you there, but there's always room for improvement.

Is a 5090 needed? Of course not lol. But for enthusiasts such as myself, it can be justified.

Last edited:
Eh, there's already several games that the 4090 can't run at 4k/60hz native maxed out. Alan Wake II, Hellblade II, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.. etc.. Not to mention upcoming games like Fable, Marvel 1943, etc..

DLSS + Frame Gen gets you there, but there's always room for improvement.

Is a 5090 needed? Of course not lol. But for enthusiasts such as myself, it can be justified.
Do you mean pathtracing? That's not a realistic expectation to have, not even with the new gpus coming up. If you remove path tracing everything should be quite fine at 4k

SoloCamo

if the 5090 is above 2k and above i am out. my 4090 is just fine.

if it was 2k for most of the board partners its fine. but if the FE is 2k, that means other cards will be 2.2 or 2.3k. for that they can fuck off.

it's not like there are games that will take advantages of its resta power. everything I have seen on the xbox show for the next year will be played just fine with a 4090 at max settings.

I love to see this. Suddenly it's too expensive? As if the 4090 wasn't overpriced as is? But hey, I warned people about this back when the OG Titan hit and people bought it up anyways. Nvidia will continue to raise prices because people keep saying ok to it.

And no this isn't an anti-Nvidia thing, if AMD was the market lead they;'d do it too. That said, I refuse to support it regardless even though I can afford it. I used to have a hard $500 cap on gpu's but with inflation these days it's bumped up. Spending $1,000 or more on a card is insane to me though.

YCoCg

Gold Member
What the fuck is this shit? It better be false! So the 5090 will be a nice big jump, but the 5080 will just be slightly better than a 4080 and a 5070 will somehow have less cores than a 4070?????? Why even bother with a 5070/5060, etc at that point, Nvidia might as well just say "get a 4000 series".

Shodai

I'm betting on a massive increase in TOPS, less so for raster. I also expect path tracing push to be a bigger part of their demos this time, seems inevitable path tracing with succeed ray. Perhaps some DLSS4 stuff will augment it.

SoloCamo

I just want an extremely efficient 5060 for my living room pc. Already have a 6900XT for my main desktop that will probably hold me over till next gen anyways.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If nvidia charged $2500 for the 5090 do you think that will price out the scalpers or do you think they'll be just as bad as normal?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Nvidia's next business expansion will be a finance arm to extract even more money from us with payment plans 😂😂😂😬.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Based on this 5080 should be weaker than 4090.

Massive fucking scam again, 5090 will be fucking big and powerful and then we have mid tier 5080, massive gap in between.

This is Ada part 2 - we will scam you again!

nvidia-jensen-huang.gif

catholic-meryl-streep.gif

No way this pans out.
These are for the full chip.....the 4090 never even used the full chip.
I actually think NVidia is going to go full fuck you to xx90 buyers.

xx90 will use a lot less of the chip and be lower memory bus, then they can sell a Ti and Titan using more of the chip and the full bandwidth. For real fuck you money.

A 5090 using a 512bit bus vs even the full GB203 is well in excess of double the performance.
Im sure they saw how badly the 4080 did, so they are either making GB203 realty cheap compared to 02, or the xx80 will also be using 02.
But the xx90 is like 100% not using anywhere near the full chip or the full badnwidth.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
If nvidia charged $2500 for the 5090 do you think that will price out the scalpers or do you think they'll be just as bad as normal?
It won't be that bad. "everyone" is broke now. lol. The worst was when the 3000 series dropped, everyone had COVID money, so everyone was buying all the shit. PS5/3000 series GPUS. Everything sold out, constantly. Keep in mind some scalpers were true assholes and scammed the Government out of thousands and used that to fund some of these scalping gigs.

What the fuck is this shit? It better be false! So the 5090 will be a nice big jump, but the 5080 will just be slightly better than a 4080 and a 5070 will somehow have less cores than a 4070?????? Why even bother with a 5070/5060, etc at that point, Nvidia might as well just say "get a 4000 series".

Because it will be a lot faster in AI.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I know that's the problem. But man they're ripping us off again. 5090 will be the only true card that's not wearing a higher tier frock. I hate playing into their cuntish games
I know it sucks…but at least old card retained some value to offset the price by selling them.

Recent CES showed new cards with built in Water Cooling in a small form factor. I want to know more about that. I might be able to squish a 5090 into my current case under my TV.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I know it sucks…but at least old card retained some value to offset the price by selling them.
I think Black_Stride Black_Stride has something, there. I think the highest end will more than likely be a 5090Ti. My budget is roughly 2500-2700. (Fuck, I cannot believe I am even saying/posting that shit) After this, I'm done for some many years, though. Who knows? Maybe WWIII will have come and went and the fabs will be blown out or some crazy shit, lol.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I know that's the problem. But man they're ripping us off again. 5090 will be the only true card that's not wearing a higher tier frock. I hate playing into their cuntish games

The 4080S actually wasnt priced badly.
It was 1000 outright with sales constantly, and it was almost half price of the 4090 which was/is going for 1800 - 2000 dollars.
If the 5080 is priced at or around 900 dollars its golden.

Hell id argue the 4070TiS was actually pretty good value.

And as all cards are using GDDR7 theres no reason for them to skimp on VRAM for any of the cards.
Havent seen any PCB leaks but id think every card will be 10-12GB minimum with the higher tier cards easily being 20GB now.

I never look at the xx90s because of buyers remorse but tif the xx80 has ~20GB of VRAM and isnt prcied at frikken 12000 dollars its not a terrible deal, but certainly wont be 30 series level of deal, we are never getting that again.

Reallink

It won't be that bad. "everyone" is broke now. lol. The worst was when the 3000 series dropped, everyone had COVID money, so everyone was buying all the shit. PS5/3000 series GPUS. Everything sold out, constantly. Keep in mind some scalpers were true assholes and scammed the Government out of thousands and used that to fund some of these scalping gigs.
The 4090 has outsold the 3090 2x with zero crypto demand and no covid bucks, and the 4070's (same price bracket as 3080) have nearly 2x'd the 3080. No one is actually broke, that's just theater they post online. Dumbass half retarded early 20's kids with a GED making $30/hr out here now. A $2500 5090 will enjoy sub-1 minute sellouts for 6+ months just like the 4090 did.

Last edited:

Shodai

I'm betting $1999 and that scalpers are gonna eat it up for a while, then stop once the initial interest wanes.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
I remember a time, it wasn't that long ago, where you could get XX80s for far less than a grand...

"B-b-but inflation"

At this point pretty much everything has increased by at LEAST 50% since 2019-2020.

But would ya look at that, pay has remained the same 💀

GymWolf

Gold Member
I bet the 4090 and the 3090 will cripple when real next games enter the market, the thing that hasn't changed about gpus is that they're always reacting not proacting.
The baseline is still a filthy, cheap 500 dollars console, a 4090 is gonna be fine until the end of the gen.

And not everyone is cdproject actually developing tech to use these gpu to their full potential.

Xdrive05

Waiting for 6060ti 12GB I guess to replace my 3060. You can bank on 8gb 5060(ti), yet again, with an impractical 16gb offering for way too much money, yet again. GDDR7 isn’t going to make up the buffer size.

Bojji

3080 still has the power but you have to manage VRAM more carefully.

12GB on my 3080ti is slightly better but still not enough for some settings in games.

I bet they will use 12gb (5070), 16gb (5080) and 24gb (maybe 32? 5090) configurations again.

And as all cards are using GDDR7 theres no reason for them to skimp on VRAM for any of the cards.
Havent seen any PCB leaks but id think every card will be 10-12GB minimum with the higher tier cards easily being 20GB now.

It's still 2 GB chips so I wouldn't expect any vram increases except for the 5090, which might be 28 GB.

Dr.D00p

Again with the stupid 128 bit bus.

Expect another XX60 tier failure that isn't worth it's cost.

Nvidia are going to have to be a bit smarter with the 5060, as that is the segment AMD are going after with their new cards. New (ish) RDNA4 cards with 7900XT/XTX raster performance and significantly better RT performance for $500 to $600, will give Nvidia something to think about.

dcx4610

I like how the entire 4000 generation came and went without them being in stock consistently. 5000 will probably be the same.

I still have a 2070 so I'll probably finally upgrade to a 5000 but man, the price is tough to swallow. You used to could build an entire PC TWICE for the price of just the GPU now.

Top Bottom