• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart: 120fps Update. What’s Going On? PS5

Kholinar

Banned
I wonder if they will do this for Spider-Man now.
Probably not. I imagine Spider-Man is a lot more technically intensive than Ratchet by virtue of the art style. Ratchet looks amazing, but it’s probably rather lightweight to render seeing as they aren’t constrained to trying to appeal to photo realism.

ManaByte

Gold Member
dj-khaled-funko-pop-02

Numenorean

Insomniac really hit the ground running this generation

insomniac are sony's best current devs.

This gen is going to be interesting because INSOMNIAC rised the bar a lot, thus the internal competition between the Sony studios is going to bring us great looking games.

Just imagine the "arms race" between ND, Guerrilla and Insomniac

I have a feeling a lot of fidelity modes in games probably average in the 40s, so once VRR becomes common (and actually enabled....) I'd imagine games would start having those modes unlocked. Or at least locked at something higher than 30, like 40fps or something.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This gen is going to be interesting because INSOMNIAC rised the bar a lot, thus the internal competition between the Sony studios is going to bring us great looking games.

🔥🔥🔥 That 2nd wave of PS5 exclusives will be somethin else. Spider-man 2 along with new IPs from ND and GG good God

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Probably not. I imagine Spider-Man is a lot more technically intensive than Ratchet by virtue of the art style. Ratchet looks amazing, but it’s probably rather lightweight to render seeing as they aren’t constrained to trying to appeal to photo realism.
Hmm I’m not sure about that. For one, it renders its Ray traced reflections at a higher resolution than Spider-Man.

Banned
more devs should do that... LOOKING AT YOU REMEDY!!!...

I hope this and Flight Sim start a trend of in-between framerates, 120hz + VRR in combination basically gives developers endless framerate possibilities, and all of them are better than staying at a locked 30fps!

insomniac are sony's best current devs.

true, but they don't have much competition either lol

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Don’t have time to watch the video currently but can someone summarize?

I’m guessing a 1080p/120FPS mode as well as an option to “unlock” the framerate in fidelity mode, which is around 40-50FPS?

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
The fact that it's able to achieve over 40 fps on average in fidelity mode means they are leaving a lot of performance on the table, which is amazing to think about
Everything Sony does is amazing to think about, isn't it? Sometimes, when I'm falling asleep, I stare at the neon Sony logo I had mounted to the ceiling of my bedroom, and I just cry with unadulterated pleasure.

Banned

I’m guessing a 1080p/120FPS mode as well as an option to “unlock” the framerate in fidelity mode, which is around 40-50FPS?

if you run the PS5 at 120hz the game will run at 40fps instead of 30fps in fidelity mode. because 40 is perfectly devisable through 120, which means no stutter. if you'd do that on a 60hz screen you would have awful stutters due to the uneven division of the frame to the refresh of the screen

so it isn't a 1080p 120fps mode. it is a 4K 40fps @120hz mode, very different.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

That's a good compromise.

Hey, ND will probably finish the TLOU2 multiplayer mode soonish.

Banned
Man, that 40fps feels so good that makes it the best mode to me now! I never touched it and went to Performance RT, and I don't have a 120Hz TV anyway now.

you can't run the game at 40fps if you don't have a 120hz TV... that's the whole point of this 120hz mode, is to make it possible to run at 40fps without stutter. at 60hz you still run at 30fps

Fidelity mode + 60hz = 30fps
Fidelity mode + 120hz = 40fps

Last edited:

elliot5

Very cool of Insomniac to do this. I hope this kinda becomes more normal moving forward. 40 fps looks weird on paper, but as long as its stable on a 120hz screen it's an overall improvement. Helps with TUAA, too.

It's kinda like how Flight Simulator will allow for an uncapped framerate when connected to a VRR display. Give the players these options if they have the hardware to support it, rather than limiting the framerate at 30.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
you can't run the game at 40fps if you don't have a 120hz TV... that's the whole point of this 120hz mode, is to make it possible to run at 40fps without stutter. at 60hz you still run at 30fps

Fidelity mode + 60hz = 30fps
Fidelity mode + 120hz = 40fps

I know that, didn't say I can run it. I watched the whole video. Just from the video it feels a lot smoother than 30fps to me which is a great welcome, and there is the input lag improvement as well which is already good anyway. Should get the Sony X90J later this year.

Last edited:

Banned
I know that, didn't say I can run it. I watched the whole video. Just from the video it feels a lot smoother than 30fps to me which is a great welcome, and there is the input lag improvement as well which is already good anyway. Should get the Sony X90J later this year.

ok, it sounded like you played it and liked it due to testing it.

for me personally 50fps is the lower bounds of what i would deem good enough, I would still use the 60fps mode... but it's way better than 30fps for sure

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

No. no 120 fps mode. they basically took the 30 fps native 4k fidelity mode and increased the cap to 40 fps for 120 fps tvs only.

Now you will ask why, and basically 40 is exactly 1/3rd the refresh rate of 120 fps so 120 hz tvs can show 40 fps a lot more smoother than 60 fps tvs. Thats why you see fps locked to 30 fps on 60 fps displays because its exactly half the refresh rate.

So say you have a 120 fps tv that can do native 4k 120 fps (HDMI 2.1), you will get native 4k resolution at 40 fps and it will feel a lot more smoother than 30 fps. I tried it out and while the 60 fps mode is definitely smoother, 40 fps is way smoother than the 30 fps mode.

However, if you have an older 120 fps tv that can only do 1080p at 120 fps then this update is probably not for you. no point playing the game at 1080p 40 fps even at fidelity settings.

HAL-01

The art style is not that cartoony. They’re pulling a pixar, in that the environments are made to look as realistic as can be but it’s the characters that are the most stylized. The style for the environments looks more like if doom eternal was bright and colorful

SlimySnake

The fact that it's able to achieve over 40 fps on average in fidelity mode means they are leaving a lot of performance on the table, which is amazing to think about
Not to mention how they are running the game at native 4k most of the time. Now thats leaving a lot of performance on the table. If they aim for 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 engine, we are in for a very impressive looking spiderman game that probably looks a gen ahead of Ratchet.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Isn’t YouTube rendered at 30/60 FPS? I don’t think you will notice any difference in smoothness until you try it yourself.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not to mention how they are running the game at native 4k most of the time. Now thats leaving a lot of performance on the table. If they aim for 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 engine, we are in for a very impressive looking spiderman game that probably looks a gen ahead of Ratchet.

I'm curious how much they are going to re-tool the assets for Spiderman. I wonder if there's just more open world constraints and there wont be a big visual leap

the leap for Spidey 2 will be tons of interiors for buildings and maybe destruction and stuff instead....assuming it's PS5 exclusive

SlimySnake

I'm curious how much they are going to re-tool the assets for Spiderman. I wonder if there's just more open world constraints and there wont be a big visual leap

the leap for Spidey 2 will be tons of interiors for buildings and maybe destruction and stuff instead....assuming it's PS5 exclusive
well, the good thing about the ps5 ssd and i/o is that they should be able to stream in higher quality assets even in an open world.

I dont think they are using primitive shaders either. That should also help with LOD management.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
well, the good thing about the ps5 ssd and i/o is that they should be able to stream in higher quality assets even in an open world.

I dont think they are using primitive shaders either. That should also help with LOD management.

Lets just hope its PS5 only...if its too big (could be...) it'd be a big disappointment

rofif

Banned
That's great except ps5 will run in chroma 422 which looks a bit worse.
That is just 1 click on pc too. Can enable 40fps limit in RTSS and set hz to fixed 120. This way can be even better than VRR because vrr on oled screens can cause flicker or gamma change.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I think from their recent statements, they're just scratching the surface and are getting really good at managing memory and making what's on screen look the best

Atheon

Neo Member
Plays substantially smoother on my LG CX. I really like this mode. Started the game on fidelity mode but could notice the slight 'judder' (not sure if that is the correct word). Now with the 40fps/120hz option, this is eliminated. So much smoother.

user1337

No. no 120 fps mode. they basically took the 30 fps native 4k fidelity mode and increased the cap to 40 fps for 120 fps tvs only.

Now you will ask why, and basically 40 is exactly 1/3rd the refresh rate of 120 fps so 120 hz tvs can show 40 fps a lot more smoother than 60 fps tvs. Thats why you see fps locked to 30 fps on 60 fps displays because its exactly half the refresh rate.

So say you have a 120 fps tv that can do native 4k 120 fps (HDMI 2.1), you will get native 4k resolution at 40 fps and it will feel a lot more smoother than 30 fps. I tried it out and while the 60 fps mode is definitely smoother, 40 fps is way smoother than the 30 fps mode.

However, if you have an older 120 fps tv that can only do 1080p at 120 fps then this update is probably not for you. no point playing the game at 1080p 40 fps even at fidelity settings.
What about a 1440p 120hz TV? Or will the lack of native 1440p support on the PS5 make this not work (yet).

Top Bottom