• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart: 120fps Update. What’s Going On? PS5

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Isn’t YouTube rendered at 30/60 FPS? I don’t think you will notice any difference in smoothness until you try it yourself.

You serious, mate? You can easily notice it and notice the frame drops. The matter of 30-60fps is that you can't lock it for 40-50fps if not designed for, so you either make it 30-60Hz or make it flow with no framerates cap. So on a 60Hz panel you can't see beyond 60Hz, or beyond 120Hz for those HDMI 2.1 TV's, but you can easily spot drops and things in between.

It looks much smoother than 30fps but still doesn't gives you that 60fps feel, but the consistent 40fps really makes it a great option to me now if I had a 120Hz TV.

Thief1987

What about a 1440p 120hz TV? Or will the lack of native 1440p support on the PS5 make this not work (yet).
It should work, but image quality will suffer. If it works similar to PS4 Pro then image will be downscaled by system to 1080p, and after that upscaled to 1440p by your TV.

Last edited:

Rudius

40fps could be a good option for next gen games that become CPU limited for 60, like a new GTA for exemple. If it runs smoothly at 30 it can manage 40 with only occasional drops and dinamic resolution.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
40fps could be a good option for next gen games that become CPU limited for 60, like a new GTA for exemple. If it runs smoothly at 30 it can manage 40 with only occasional drops and dinamic resolution.
It does not worsen the color that much, but i wonder if this mode will then force the TV into YUV 4:2:2 instead of RGB to support this 4K mode (40 FPS using the 120 Hz settings). Not big, but you are trading between input latency and color compression (slight reduction).

Synless

What they need to fix is the hard crashes and freezes my brother and a buddy of mine get constantly. They can’t even play the game.

Imtjnotu

more devs should do that... LOOKING AT YOU REMEDY!!!...

I hope this and Flight Sim start a trend of in-between framerates, 120hz + VRR in combination basically gives developers endless framerate possibilities, and all of them are better than staying at a locked 30fps!

true, but they don't have much competition either lol
Willy Wonka Reaction GIF

The panel in my laptop has a native 40hz mode I use regularly as a trade off. It doesn't sound much going from 30-40fps, but the improvement is there and it is more preferable to me than locking to 30fps at 60hz/120hz

martinzxr

Neo Member
It should work, but image quality will suffer. If it works similar to PS4 Pro then image will be downscaled by system to 1080p, and after that upscaled to 1440p by your TV.
I have tv 4k hdmi 2.0 but soport 1440p/120Hz, if ps5 dont soport yet 1440p, i can uses this mode?
I dont have ps5 to probe my self, its impossible to get one, fuc... stock.

ZywyPL

Banned
This gen is going to be interesting because INSOMNIAC rised the bar a lot, thus the internal competition between the Sony studios is going to bring us great looking games.

Just imagine the "arms race" between ND, Guerrilla and Insomniac

I don't know, just because a single developer out of hundreds (thousands?) provides a ton of performance options doesn't necessarily mean anyone else will follow. For example, CoD became the undisputed FPS king back in the PS360 era largely thanks to its focus on 60FPS, and how many devs have fallowed it? Almost none, everyone went for pretty graphics at 30FPS, if even that... So I'd say that nothing will really change this time as well, everyone will just stick to their own successful formulas, those who prioritized performance will continue to do so, those who used to raise the technical bar will continue to raise it even higher.

So speaking strictly about Sony's devs, 30FPS will remain the priority in order to achieve the absolute best possible visuals, probably we won't see 4K either later on in favor of 1440p+CBR, to squeeze even better effects. And if we're on Insomniac, they are actually the ones who officially resigned from making 60FPS games back in the days, so that they could compete with other devs on the visual field, so who knows, maybe history will repeat itself and few years from now once other studios start making next-gen only titles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lets just hope its PS5 only...if its too big (could be...) it'd be a big disappointment
Let's make an account suicide pact if Spiderman 2 is cross gen lol

What about a 1440p 120hz TV? Or will the lack of native 1440p support on the PS5 make this not work (yet).

It will be 1080p 120 fps. PS5 doesnt support 1440p like you said.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I wonder when vrr becomes common place will we get devs targeting odd ball framerates being a more common thing.
It's nice not being tied down to a hand full of evenly divided framerate targets

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Absolutely amazing. It's actually what has kept me from running the game other than at 60 frames the input lag was just a little bit better I would totally go for Fidelity so I will be trying this out as soon as I get a chance to patch.

I just tried it and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Personally not for me and I would stick to 60fps but a very sensible way of meeting half way and not wasting performance for those with a 120hz tv.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It is a welcome boost with the newer TV options.

And, no, I do not do voice overs, maybe I should look into that.

Would love to. I'm looking for a British/Londoner accent (hope I don't go for those AI voice-over apps) for a potential short documentary I'm making for an English version, or probably for some ads. Your voice is pretty good.

Anyway, if you ever think you might make some side buck let me know. In any case, I really appreciate your work as you bring so much to the table due to your true knowledge in tech.

Warm regards, mate.

YCoCg

so apart from 90 fps the rest of the fps i mentioned will be fine
With 120Hz the following locks will display fine...

120fps (duh)
60fps (x2)
40fps (x3)
30fps (x4)
24fps (X5)
20fps (x6)

So as you can see, it covers things like gaming, TV Broadcasting outside of Europe, Blu-ray's/movies, etc. Which is why it was decided upon for TV's instead of the 144Hz that Nvidia wanted to push.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
With 120Hz the following locks will display fine...

120fps (duh)
60fps (x2)
40fps (x3)
30fps (x4)
24fps (X5)
20fps (x6)

So as you can see, it covers things like gaming, TV Broadcasting outside of Europe, Blu-ray's/movies, etc. Which is why it was decided upon for TV's instead of the 144Hz that Nvidia wanted to push.
24 fps would cause judder .................. no?

edit: ok 24 x 5 is 120

Last edited:
Top Bottom