• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obi-Wan Kenobi |OT| Hello there…

DKehoe

I'm from Austria and grew up with Arnold speaking perfect boring German because of dubbing. Fun fact: In German dubs, Arnold, Stallone, John Travolta, Dan Akroyd and John Cleese all have the same voice actor.
I get that X hours of Arnold in his prime must have cost way more than that same amount of time for a German voice actor but it's a pity they didn't just get him to record the German parts.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I question the direction of this show… just the Vader vs Kenobi fight…. That whole wall of fire and how Vader couldn’t get around it to get Kenobi and how that whole bit was filmed was idiotic…

Vader hasn’t seen Kenobi in 10 years and he can’t be bothered to go around the fire to make sure he doesn’t get away… it just makes the show seem like a fan made production
Well yeah, what about Kenobi being slower than a 5 year old or the fact that he had to destroy the 3 tier laser barrier rather than just going around it? Some very strange stuff.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You cannot go by social media comments as you never what is real or manufactured hate. The problem here is the same problem we have had in the past 5 years. A FEW PEOPLE ON SOCIAL MEDIA DO NOT REPRESENT EVERYONE.

In my view I don’t blame Moses for a badly written character. I mean one thing that’s kind of messed up is that all her piers in the inquisition are physically altered in someway to represent the dark side… she’s just black.. that’s some racist shit there. 😂

Obi Wan is like...
Run Away The Princess Bride GIF by Disney+

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wonder if Kenobi is going to Dagobah to train with Yoda. Would sure up the plot armor of “too old, too old to begin the training…” … “so was I if you remember.”

He’ll have to re-begin it to face Vader and overcome him again for “I was but the learner, now I am the master…”

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Wonder if Kenobi is going to Dagobah to train with Yoda. Would sure up the plot armor of “too old, too old to begin the training…” … “so was I if you remember.”

He’ll have to re-begin it to face Vader and overcome him again for “I was but the learner, now I am the master…”
Qui-Gon Jinn has been teased too much to be left out in your scenario. :lollipop_confounded:

Tieno

Obi-Wan needs a training montage with Yoda. There's no way he can face Vader another time, without a montage.

Ulysses 31

Obi-Wan needs a training montage with Yoda. There's no way he can face Vader another time, without a montage.

There's the issue of when their next fight will be, can Obi-Wan become like OT Obi-Wan in a few days in a believable way? Maybe there will be a time jump... 👀

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
The episode was...so so? Not to updated on my canon, but I thought Vader and Obi Wan had no interaction until the Death Star in a new hope.

Ulysses 31

The episode was...so so? Not to updated on my canon, but I thought Vader and Obi Wan had no interaction until the Death Star in a new hope.
You'd think that based on what Vader says to Obi-Wan but Disney as the IP owner knows better.

Leia now has had whole adventures with Kenobi but still only describes him as someone who worked with her father in the OT. :lollipop_grinning:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You'd think that based on what Vader says to Obi-Wan but Disney as the IP owner knows better.

Leia now has had whole adventures with Kenobi but still only describes him as someone who worked with her father in the OT. :lollipop_grinning:
They’re good at keeping secrets, probably.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
As someone who loved the Mandalorian, I have to say I'm not really feeling this.

First two chapters were fun to watch, even if some scenes where poorly executed or just outright cringe, and that goes for any "Leia is running away from someone" scene. Not the kids fault, in fact she seems to act really well.

Yesterdays episode was a big meh for me tho, and at the end all I could feel was disappointment. Vader is cool as fuck, and having Obi-Wan running away from him in a place full of dirt and rocks was really sad. The saber duel was shit, too.

All I'm hoping for is Qui Gon finally picking up the phone and putting Obi-Wan in it's place.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Pretty much. It was also implied that Leia had never met Obi-Wan but well here we are.
That's what I thought as well. Her message to him in R2 implied she just knew of him.

Don't worry everyone! Once Disney is done with this, they'll have plenty of time to reboot the original trilogy!

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus

This line means less now since yesterdays episode. Clearly Obi Wan is inferior to Vader at this point. I don't know how they can walk this back to put Obi Wan back on top, unless he gets his mojo back via Qui-gon or some other such happenings.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

"I sense something...a presence I have not felt since last Tuesday..."

NickFire

This line means less now since yesterdays episode. Clearly Obi Wan is inferior to Vader at this point. I don't know how they can walk this back to put Obi Wan back on top, unless he gets his mojo back via Qui-gon or some other such happenings.
Vader may have been referring to himself in the context of a Sith. We are only about 1/2 way between his turn to the darkside and the final confrontation in Episode 4.

I also doubt that Obi-Wan comes out on top in the sense of a duel. Vader will need to believe Obi-Wan is dead at the end of this show or else Leia would never survive the next 10 years. Unless somehow Vader never learns who the bait was that lured him out of hiding somehow. Maybe he kills the inquisitor before she tells him I suppose, but my guess is Vader ends up thinking Obi-Wan died and the chase is over.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Darth Jason

She went through there as a kid.. Redemption is coming soon.
Spoiler regarding speculation about Revas possible motives and why she acts the way she does

Yeah, you are probably correct. She clearly recognized one of the scratch symbols, either she put it there herself or recognized it as being made by someone she has a connection to (family, friend, one of her kills, etc).

If the intent of the sequence was:

Reva finds safe house, knows where the tunnel leads, heads off directly to that place WHILE Tala backtracks, comes out through the safe house or a previously unrevealed alternative exit (that Reva is unaware of, didn't consider, or she just got lucky about where Leia is going) then the editor really dropped the ball. Or they are trying too hard to conceal Reva's knowledge base and the sequence just came out confusing.

So if Reva is actually good, why kill/disable the rebel underground railroad guy, unless she intends to use Leia as bait to get physically close to Vader. But Vader is RIGHT THERE, she could have just walked up to him while he was watching Obi wan burn, obviously Tala was able to get there quickly and with that slow ass loader droid to boot.

So Reva must want Leia as a way to get Obi wan, though again, HE IS RIGHT THERE, so why not strike while he is hurt and escaping? Even after being ordered to "look around the village" she is clearly just doing her own thing and I don't see why hitting Ben or Vader, if either is her actual goal, was put on hold to go after Leia.

If her plan is to get Leia away safely, then why interrupt the railroad process in the first place? Leia would have gotten to the guy and flown away(?)

These are narrative problems that become an issue when the emotional engagement to the show is low, IMHO.

I did like the stromtropper falling on the laser gate part. Was a bit disappointed that they had a mole-man who didn't end up being an actual mole though, and its a lazy alien race design. The back of the truck conversation with the stormtroopers was well done I thought, every now and then some competence comes through.

Lucasarts does need to figure out droids though. Are they fully sentient and are thus essentially slaves, are they semi-sentient like a pet, or are they purely programmed and can be treated like tools? The more recent films/shows bounce all around about how to depict them and the more droids with strong personalities we see, the more it feels like slavery to me. We are like one signal boosted article, decrying that "treatment of droids in Star Wars is problematic" with enough buzz-words to be indefensible to the left, away from seeing some sort of massive over-compensation by disney to all the older star wars stuff.

Dr Bass

This is ten years before ANH.

Episode 3 of 6.
It still "breaks" a lot of what we see in Star Wars, for a lot of reasons. It's just badly done and is a disappointment. This idea that Vader is raging over Obi Wan isn't present in Star Wars at all, and the idea that Obi Wan doesn't hear the name "Darth Vader" for ten years when he is the Emperor's right hand man, and thinks he is dead as a result, is also absurd. And of course they did Obi Wan dirty by turning him into another version of Luke in TLJ, while at the same time he wants to train Luke when "he's old enough." But he's already past the age they trained kids in the prequels? So does he have hope or doesn't he? Is Hayden in the suit? Why? His voice isn't used and the "lightsaber fight" in the third episode was maybe the worst I've ever seen. It looked like a guy that couldn't move in the suit flailing a stick. It was honestly worse than the fight between the two in Star Wars. Didn't think that would ever happen!

I'm just shocked at how badly Disney has screwed Star Wars. I never thought they would do more harm than the prequels did, but they've done it by an order of magnitude. I just don't see how anyone can enjoy this stuff anymore. Even the OT. There is no continuity, the character work is awful, and there is just no reason to care anymore. It's totally, totally, dead.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does Obi wan need to be superior to Vader at this point? I think the point of the show might be to get Ben to the point where he knows he will force ghost if killed (I forget if Quigon has done this for Ben already) as that seems to be the most critical bit of knowledge he needs for ANH. At this point I'm going with Reva somehow faking Bens death to Vader or at least implying she killed him so the hunt stops and Vader moves on.

ManaByte

Gold Member
the idea that Obi Wan doesn't hear the name "Darth Vader" for ten years when he is the Emperor's right hand man, and thinks he is dead as a result, is also absurd

Obi-Wan has been hiding in a cave and carving up space fish on the most remote planet in the galaxy.

Does Obi wan need to be superior to Vader at this point? I think the point of the show might be to get Ben to the point where he knows he will force ghost if killed (I forget if Quigon has done this for Ben already) as that seems to be the most critical bit of knowledge he needs for ANH. At this point I'm going with Reva somehow faking Bens death to Vader or at least implying she killed him so the hunt stops and Vader moves on.

A lot of people didn't pay attention in the first episode where Obi-Wan hasn't been able to hear from Qui-Gon yet and it's been 10 years.

Last edited:

NickFire

It still "breaks" a lot of what we see in Star Wars, for a lot of reasons. It's just badly done and is a disappointment. This idea that Vader is raging over Obi Wan isn't present in Star Wars at all, and the idea that Obi Wan doesn't hear the name "Darth Vader" for ten years when he is the Emperor's right hand man, and thinks he is dead as a result, is also absurd. And of course they did Obi Wan dirty by turning him into another version of Luke in TLJ, while at the same time he wants to train Luke when "he's old enough." But he's already past the age they trained kids in the prequels? So does he have hope or doesn't he? Is Hayden in the suit? Why? His voice isn't used and the "lightsaber fight" in the third episode was maybe the worst I've ever seen. It looked like a guy that couldn't move in the suit flailing a stick. It was honestly worse than the fight between the two in Star Wars. Didn't think that would ever happen!

I'm just shocked at how badly Disney has screwed Star Wars. I never thought they would do more harm than the prequels did, but they've done it by an order of magnitude. I just don't see how anyone can enjoy this stuff anymore. Even the OT. There is no continuity, the character work is awful, and there is just no reason to care anymore. It's totally, totally, dead.
Umm, I suggest re-watching the end of Episode 3. Vader's hatred towards Obi-wan is shown on screen while Vader's skin burns off, and after that the Sith literally have the Jedi hunted down and exterminated. His hatred of Ob-Wan is well documented and common sense considering the missing limbs.

As for not hearing Vader's name for 10 years, that caught me off guard. But they did establish he was living like a hermit. So it's not beyond plausibility even though I feel they should have done a flashback showing that Obi-Wan learned Vader lived much sooner.

I also completely disagree on the Luke comparison. Obi-Wan is on a direct assignment from Yoda to stay down and watch over Luke. His refusal to help the other Jedi was primarily to protect Luke. With respect to running from Vader his choice was run or die. Obi-Wan had zero chance of winning a direct fight. Vader is that strong. Rogue One is the best example of how devastating he is out of the movies. Non-movie cannon are the best examples.

Vader also has a slower style post Episode 3 to account for physical limitations. The days of lighting quick lightsabers are past him, but the end result is his hatred and fury has made him far stronger than he was before the suit.

Sorry you aren't enjoying it, but finally seeing Vader in his Sith prime for extended scenes was the best thing I have seen Disney produce from this IP outside of the Luke / Grogu episode of the Book of Bobba. Can't wait for more.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A lot of people didn't pay attention in the first episode where Obi-Wan hasn't been able to hear from Qui-Gon yet and it's been 10 years.
A quick search brings this up, which I had forgotten: Qui-Gon Jinn, as a Force ghost, is also seen to appear to both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars animated series episode, "Ghosts of Mortis."[21]

So if TCW is canon and the writers of OBW give a shit, then yes, Ben should know that force ghosts are a thing and that Quigon is one. I'm unclear if he knows how/why this happens and if he can exploit it himself, but old Ben certainly seems to think so in ANH with the "You Can't Win, Darth. If You Strike Me Down I Shall Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine." line.

Ulysses 31

A quick search brings this up, which I had forgotten: Qui-Gon Jinn, as a Force ghost, is also seen to appear to both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in the Clone Wars animated series episode, "Ghosts of Mortis."[21]

So if TCW is canon and the writers of OBW give a shit, then yes, Ben should know that force ghosts are a thing and that Quigon is one. I'm unclear if he knows how/why this happens and if he can exploit it himself, but old Ben certainly seems to think so in ANH with the "You Can't Win, Darth. If You Strike Me Down I Shall Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine." line.
Shouldn't Ep3 be enough? It's there where Yoga tells Obi-Wan that he we will train him to get in contact with his old master.

ManaByte

Gold Member

He knows Qui-Gon is one because Yoda told him at the end of ROTS. But he hasn't been able to talk to Qui-Gon because he's given up and disconnected from the Force for 10 years. It's not until hope returns to him that he'll be able to.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Shouldn't Ep3 be enough? It's there where Yoga tells Obi-Wan that he we will train him to get in contact with his old master.
He knows Qui-Gon is one because Yoda told him at the end of ROTS. But he hasn't been able to talk to Qui-Gon because he's given up and disconnected from the Force for 10 years. It's not until hope returns to him that he'll be able to.
Well, I don't get the impression that Ben from the start of Obi-wan could commune with the force much. But he is a hermit watching over luke. If, at the beginning pf ANH, he is a hermit that watches over Luke BUT he now CAN commune with the Force, I'm not sure that is a narrative arc worth a show, TBH. I feel like Ben should have either started off in a lower place or a much higher place than he will end up. Or they should have had him deal with totally non-Skywalker stuff. Having Leia in this and we KNOW that nothing much is gonna come of it given ANH seems like an exercise in futility. He isn't inspiring Leia to work for the rebellion, she seems already far down that path and her adoptive father certainly has far more influence on her there than Ben ever could.

That this script was a tight film about Ben getting shaken out of his mopey existence following his last orders in a despondent robotic way through a terrifying clash with Vader and some Inquisitors that leaves him invigorated, in touch with the force, and aggressively shielding Luke for the next decade or so was a good idea, but it's just too thin and boxed in by RTS and ANH to last for even 6 eps. Shoehorning in Leia instead of just cameoing Luke is really stretching canon. I get that they probably wanted to get off Tatooine and sand people because of Book of Fett, but I feel like more of those elements would have fit in better with OBW.

Ulysses 31

Well, I don't get the impression that Ben from the start of Obi-wan could commune with the force much. But he is a hermit watching over luke. If, at the beginning pf ANH, he is a hermit that watches over Luke BUT he now CAN commune with the Force, I'm not sure that is a narrative arc worth a show, TBH.
The way the Tusken Raiders fear him seems to indicate that Obi-Wan did have some escapades to earn him that rep.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Obi-Wan movie has been in the works since early 2017. LONG before Book of Boba Fett was a thing.
So? All these projects feel like they are just slapping pieces around with little concern for internal continuity. OBW does NOT feel like a well polished script that has been set in stone for 5 years. Book of Fett felt like something they wrote in a weekend.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What was that episode. 3 is super dumb. Continuity issues. Reva looking in the building where they hid initially somehow gets to the other side faster than leia. This dumb kid who is evidently 10 but looks 6 is running in every episode and it looks awful.
kenobi being weak and he and Vader fighting just invalidated “the last time we met I was but the learner. Now I am the master” (could be a little different as I’m working from memory). Someone from DISNEY will go into a new hope and add ”remember when I tried to burn you on that mining planet?”

kenobi having lost a step I think is a bad direction. yoda maintained his force powers and hid. Maybe don’t wear a Jedi robe everywhere if you don’t want to be caught.

Disney needs to ask me next time. I can write a better story.

RAÏSanÏa

"He's more machine now than man."
Was what came to mind from their encounter in the third episode.
Obi-Wan even looks like he's reliving that moment.

RAÏSanÏa

I very much liked the supernatural way Vader was portrayed in the duel. It's like when he was stalking Luke on Bespin. Spooky.
That scene where Vader almost takes Luke head off from out of nowhere in ESB remains one of my favourite moments in lightsaber duels. Felt like it was referred to there.

sol_bad

I'm really amazed that this show has so much positivity in general. After how much hate Last Jedi got in regards to Luke I was positive this would also get just as much hate. IMO I'm fine with what they did to Luke in Last Jedi, yeah he turned his back on the galaxy and lost faith in the force but he was still powerful in the force and could use many abilities. Obi-Wan on the other hand is so severely gimped it's not funny, he is so weak and him mentioning Leia's name on the truck just didn't feel like an Obi-Wan thing to do. Especially with the fact that he has been training himself to hide from the Empire over the last 10 years.

Ionian

he has more power as a jedi. They don't use it sw 101. Lightside is silent.

Top Bottom