• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occultic;Nine anime/tv |OT| From the author of Steins; Gate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

WDI692G.jpg

Episodes: Unknown
Airing: Oct 8, 2016 to ?
Broadcast: Sundays at 00:00 (JST)
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Production: Aniplex
Series Composition: Mages
Director: Kyōhei Ishiguro (Lance N' Masques)
Source: Light novel/Manga
Genres: Mystery, Sci-Fi

Musical Performances:
Opening Theme:
"Seisū 3 no Nijō" by Kanako Itō

Ending Theme:
"Open your eyes" by Asaka

Source Material
Occultic;Nine is a Japanese light novel series written by Chiyomaru Shikura, the creator of Steins;Gate. Overlap Bunko published the first volume in August 2014. Also, a manga, illustrated by Ganjii, began serialization in October 2015.

While Shikura created Occultic;Nine, he emphasized in 2012 that it is not the fourth science-adventure title from 5pb. He did note that the novel can be considered the fourth Chiyomaru Shikura title after Chaos;HEAd, Steins;Gate, and Robotics;Notes. (Shikura eventually announced the fourth science-adventure title, CHAOS;CHILD, in 2013.)

The novel series already inspired a game adaptation and a manga series that Ganjii (Code Geass: Tales of an Alternate Shogunate) is serializing in Kodansha's good! Afternoon magazine.

Cast:
VDtJIm6.jpg
zOE0d33.jpg

Yūta Gamon
Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
- A high school boy who runs an occult blog and considers himself a 'savior'.

Ryoka Narusawa
Voiced by: Ayane Sakura
- A spirit guide

Sarai Hashigami
Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa
- A ultra-realist first-year university student.

Miyū Aikawa
Voiced by: Hitomi Yoshida
- A moe fortune teller and first-year high school student.

Tōko Sumikaze
Voiced by: Shizuka Itō
- A reporter for the occult magazine Mumū

Aria Kurenaino
Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro
- A black magic proxy

Kiryū Kusakabe
Voiced by: Kishō Taniyama
- A mysterious individual

Ririka Nishizono
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- A dōjin manga creator with the ability to predict the future

Shun Moritsuka
Voiced by: Tetsuya Kakihara
- A cosplayer and otaku detective

Synopsis:
The "paranormal science" story follows nine idiosyncratic individuals, linked by the "Chōjō Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Yūta Gamon. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.

Media:

Screenshots:
PBXMACi.png

6V5hyvx.jpg

dlFLdLe.jpg

PV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Ie5wXlELo

Cfxd84J.jpg

"Paranormal science"?
What a paradox.

Not my cup of tea, but I'll stick around. Stein's Gate is one of my favorite VN/anine of all time.

_Ryo_

Looks a lot more moe than steins;gate...

Eh, I'll give it a chance I guess.

Edit: Just watched the PV. Has a bit too much pervy fan service. lol

What's with those 2 humongous "plot" devices? Seriously...
Anyway, sans what I said, the show could be good. I'll Give it a try.

I closed it when big boobs appeared. I don't get why people support these shows with demeaning characters.

I don't get why an entire character is condensed down to her appearance and nothing else

Edit: Although watching the PV now (had just looked at OPs pics)...I can understand instantly closing it. I still think the attitude is a bit dismissive. It's not like she's wearing some ridiculous outfit or anything

Cornbread78

I closed it when big boobs appeared. I don't get why people support these shows with demeaning characters.

If I took that stance I'd never watch any movies or play any games with female characters either.. she's clothed and it's not extreme ecchi or loli shit, so..

If I took that stance I'd never watch any movies or play any games with female characters either.. she's clothed and it's not extreme ecchi or loli shit, so..
Did you see how those boobs moved? It's utterly stupid. And, given she's a main character, those situations will be constant.

I don't get why an entire character is condensed down to her appearance and nothing else

Edit: Although watching the PV now (had just looked at OPs pics)...I can understand instantly closing it. I still think the attitude is a bit dismissive. It's not like she's wearing some ridiculous outfit or anything

I didn't condense her character to this, the creators did.

TraBuch

Banned
Is this more Chaos;Head or more Steins;Gate? Because Chaos;Head was trash and Steins;Gate is my second favorite anime ever. And how was Robotics;Note?

pbayne

Will watch to confirm did 5pb just fluke with Steins;Gate?

Cant say i liked anything else they were attached to, anime-wise.

kewlmyc

Is this more Chaos;Head or more Steins;Gate? Because Chaos;Head was trash and Steins;Gate is my second favorite anime ever. And how was Robotics;Note?

It was in between. Not as amazing as Steins;Gate, but not as utter shit as the Chaos;Head anime was. At the end of the day Robotic;Notes was just so so. Not really all that rememberable.

As for this, it's worrisome that it's based off an ongoing light novel. Makes me think it won't have an actual ending. Will give it a watch anyway.

Copper

Just finished watching episode one. I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I was. Like this was really good. The visual style is done so well, they do a good job at keeping the vibrant colors while still having dark tones. That soundtrack was suburb and I'm not just talking about the OP and ED.

The dialogue moves fast though, comparable to monogatari. Aparently they covered the first LN in one episode. But honestly it didn't feel rushed at all.

I'm really interested in this series.

I'll cross-post from the other thread. I really really really liked this! subbed

Occult Nine 1

Wow I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did!

First, the opening and ending are great and I'm not just talking about the music but the video too. The flashy transitions made them really cool looking.

Then we have the episode itself. With this single episode we get what the whole show is about. It has this Durarara-ish multi characters plot lines combine with a very colorful cast. It is super fast paced and it handle this pace really well.

The atmosphere itself felt really nice. While it handles dark themes, it's otherwise colorful/ extravagant artstyle makes for a really good mix.

The characters themselves were super fun to watch and I'm really looking forward to what will happen to each of them.

That ending was really good too! I think I liked this first episode almost as much as the first Haikyu episode.

Really fun watch! I was greatly entertained! Also dem titties LOL.

Nightbird

Almost done with Episode 1, but damn, Ultra C cup really is annoying

edit: that ending though, this is interesting!

Fishious

Guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. I watched this with a friend yesterday and it wasn't an enjoyable experience for either of us. We'll be giving it another episode before dropping it because some of the setup was interesting, but it needs to chill out. I'm going to get pretty nit-picky, but that's because I think there's something potentially interesting in here and I want to attempt to understand why I felt it was such a mess.

I'm not sure exactly how I felt while I was watching this. Tense? Anxious, but not in a good way? In contrast to Copper and GoldCrusader's opinions my friend and I thought the first episode absolutely went too fast. It felt manic. Like they recorded the dialogue and put it on fast forward. At first I thought maybe it was just the main character and that was one of his traits, but everyone feels like they've been sped up. It's just especially bad with Yuta. There's a natural cadence to speech and conversations, but that's not present at all here. In most TV shows and anime there's usually going to be an element of artificiality, they aren't actually going to pause or speak in a totally natural way, but it's especially apparent here.

There's no real flow in the dialogue. The banter between Yuta and Ryoka didn't feel so much like they were talking to each other as they were just belting out completely unrelated lines at one another. Compare this to the Monogatari series where the dialogue is equally fast, but it serves to make the banter between Araragi and the girls jovial or biting based on the mood of the scene. It's like a fast paced game of ping pong which keeps the viewer at rapt attention. And furthermore Monogatari isn't always going 100 miles an hour. There's plenty of scenes with more naturally paced or no dialogue which allows the viewer to decompress. Occultic;Nine just goes. It doesn't give any time to unpack what it's saying.

Then there's the actual content of the episode. Typically a first episode will be used to introduce the setting, characters, and primary conflict. I guess Occultic;Nine did that. Kinda. Not really. It introduces the characters in that we get to see them and we know their names (in some cases only it you catch the split second name title card). Despite that I don't feel like I know them at all. Like with the dialogue, they just kind of jumped between people and places with no particular direction or thought given to flow. I don't have a feel for where this takes place. I don't know how all the locations connect to one another. I don't have a bead on the character personalities other than Yuta and Ryoka being weird and quirky. I could make assumptions based on character designs and the way they speak, but that assumes they're playing the characters strictly according to expected personality tropes. There are other series, notably Baccano (a personal favorite) and Durarara, which have large casts that are adequately introduced in a single episode. I think difference in those cases is each character or group of characters has an interesting hook which makes you want to learn more about them. Either in terms of their personality or the situation you first see them in. I didn't feel hooked or intrigued by any of the characters here. That said, the cold open and the ending of the episode present intriguing mysteries and I'd like to see where they're going with this.

Another issue is the quick animation cuts. Again, these aren't a thing that are inherently bad, but here they're used to no particular end. It's often used for mundane things like a person entering a room, typing on a keyboard, or going down a slide. When combined with the quick dialogue and seemingly random character/location transitions it makes the proceedings harder to follow than they need to be for no particular reason. I don't think anything was gained from using these fast paced cuts. I'd say the whole experience was like trying to study using a guide that was hastily scribbled, doesn't have heading or titles saying what's what, and the whole thing is out of order. It's possible to study with such a thing, but any success you have understanding it was in spite of that.

To be a tad less negative the OP was pretty good, I especially like the style. Generally I liked the style used in the episode proper too and most of the character designs ranged from decent to good. Ryoka being the obvious exception. There were several scenes where all I could think about was how those breasts must hurt. It's one thing to see a static image, it's another to see it in motion.

Ultimately the story it presented isn't so far out there that it's difficult to understand, rather it seems to seems to lean pretty heavily on certain tropes. It's only somewhat hard to grasp because Occultic;Nine is presented in an especially manic and nonsensical way. If Copper is correct and this really is an entire LN condensed into one episode that would explain some of the issues. It might have benefited from being 2 episodes, but that also hinges on the staff making better decisions in general. But as I said, there were enough bits of potential for me to hang on until the next episode. If it doesn't slow the hell down though it's getting dropped.

Cornbread78

Wow, my mind is still trying to catch up what I just watched.... please hold....

Ok. Melon boobs is annoying and her design is ridiculous; I get it. The text was way too fast and not deep; I get it.

However, I don't think this is nearly the "worst anime ever" or even close to it. The art and coloring were really nice and I'm interested in where they go with the story and that ending.... I'll give this a few to see how I feel about it then.

Phu

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one who thought things were moving way too quickly. It was a bit annoying how everyone was loud and nobody could stop talking for one freakin' second. I actually started to tune out in spots because so much was just a blur. They were speaking a ton but I didn't feel like they were saying a ton. It's like they added fluff to something that was already full.

I'll give it another chance but holy hell does it need to chill out. My attention span isn't that short.

dan2026

Holy shit.

15 minutes in and this is offensive to everyone.
Gay people, women, they don't seem to give a fuck.

It's this a parody? It can't be serious.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Holy shit.

Unfortunately stereotypes of gay people are par for the course when it comes to anime. Characters like the bartender in this show, or Ron from Gurren Lagann are like Japan's idea of what a gay person is like. It's a misconstrued archetype that's worked its way into a character trope. I don't think these depictions are purposefully malicious as they are just ignorant from a lack of diversity.

There's a lot of stuff like this in anime... not saying it isn't offensive. But it's there.

Kthulhu

Jesus Christ this first episode is such a clusterfuck. Why the Hell didn't they space this shit out? I already hate the MC, which I think is a record for me.

Holy shit.

I take it that you don't watch a lot of anime?

Anko

Nope. Dropping this after episode 1, 3 ep rule be damned.

I can't stand the MC or the boobie lady who is dumb as hell and I doubt more episodes will make me like them in any way. I loathe the very basis of their characters.

Kthulhu

I was really hoping for the best but that first episode man, just did not like it one bit.

Same.

The OP and ED were alright, but I hated the MC from the first sentence out of his mouth.

If they had bothered to pace this shit better I could see myself actually liking these characters

If the rest of the show is like this, I'm betting this is gonna be another hack adaptation to be put out by A-1, resulting in yet further saturation of an already over saturated medium.

Why can't A-1 produce something original for once that isn't pure otaku bait?

Breads

Banned
Love the key art and visuals.

Animation gets rough at times but it's definitely above average.

The story/ dialogue is ranges from uninteresting to insufferable. Feels like it has the pacing of broken glass.

There are no likable characters and too much time is spent looking at screens of bullshit and various electronics.

This isn't for me. The characters are aggressive in how obnoxious they are to my sensibilities.

srst

I did a re-watch to fully understand what's going on. I'm ashamed to say I paused the show a lot too. I'll give it another chance.

Cornbread78

I did a re-watch to fully understand what's going on. I'm ashamed to say I paused the show a lot too. I'll give it another chance.

LOL, I paused it a couple of times as well. Yeah, I had high expectations for this one, but.... That was a pretty bad intro. I mean, it's got potential, but the issues were glaring!

This was my most anticipated anime of the season, but I came out of this pretty disappointed. Everything was way too fast paced, and I had to pause and rewind a few times to catch everything. The MC and his sidekick are also pretty insufferable right now.

People were saying that they adapted one LN into one episode, and that doesn't surprise me in the least after watching the premiere. They should've spaced this episode out over two episodes at least.

This episode was much better than the last one. Thank god they pumped the breaks and explored things more. Interestingly, they explored all of the more interesting characters (the son, the curse girl
who lives with her dead brother's ghost
, the detective, the author and the fortune teller), and shoved Yuta (the website owner) and the boob monster into the background this episode. Not sure if that's a coincidence, but admittedly those two were doing more interesting things when they were on screen.

They actually did a much better job introducing characters, mysteries and plot points in this episode than the last one. I'm more interested and much more willing to keep watching at this point.

It also helps that it didn't feel like everyone was rushing through their lines as quickly as possible. I only needed to pause twice to catch newspaper headlines and comments from Myu's Nico Nico stream.

cj_iwakura

Nope. Dropping this after episode 1, 3 ep rule be damned.

I can't stand the MC or the boobie lady who is dumb as hell and I doubt more episodes will make me like them in any way. I loathe the very basis of their characters.

I usually try 4, since that was how many episodes used to be on a volume.

Then again, nowadays, that's like a quarter of most shows, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom