• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occultic;Nine anime/tv |OT| From the author of Steins; Gate.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

I understand and for the most part share the complaints about the MC's fast talk (he has kind of an annoying personality too) and Boobzilla. However, the rest of the cast was pretty interesting and the ending of Episode 1 piqued my interest, so i will give it a few more episodes at least.

Seriously though. Boodzilla's design is SO BAD. Ugh.

Zaru

Seriously though. Boodzilla's design is SO BAD. Ugh.

I could maybe, MAYBE accept that rack which not even Trump would have enough superlatives for, if it wasn't for her personality being that of an overly energetic 4 year old.

At least episode 2 shoved them into the background. For some reason I'm a sucker for that artstyle otherwise so I'm kind of, somewhat, willing to give it a few episodes to convince me. Probably because this season is so barren.

I have to apologize to Subpar Spatula. There's nothing redeeming about boob girl. She even has to typical super ditzy personality of a preschooler. Ugh

But I also remember almost dropping Stein Gate after the first ep and Mayuri's constant stupid tuturu thing. I think this author needs to stop inserting these idiot characters. They do nothing, but drag things down.

Ventus182

Neo Member
Watched the first episode yesterday and I didn't like it very much. Nothing made much sense, the MC was just rambling stuff and so on and on.

I remember having a similar opinion on the first episode of Steins;Gate but I it ended up being one of my favorite anime ever.

I going to stick with this for two more episodes. Hopefully it wiil have the same effect as Steins;Gate.

captainpat

Literally all the fanart for this series is of Ryoko so I'm guessing the hate for her must be a vocal minority thing.

Mokujin

I like a lot of things in this series, but the overly-humongous-boob girl hurts my eyes so much, I don't mind a tiny bit of fan service, but that design, sigh...

Zaru

Literally all the fanart for this series is of Ryoko so I'm guessing the hate for her must be a vocal minority thing.

Both is happening. She's offending the eyes of a lot of people while at the same time inspiring fanart in japanese artists.

episode 2

Another great episode! Still ok fast, but it never really bothered me. Liking detective boy design a lot and that doujin part made smile a bunch.

Big boobies are funny to watch bounce they don't bother me at all. They are so big I don't even count them as fan service anymore to tell the truth but more as comedy relief.

Also I started reading the LN since it's now in similpub on j-novel and just from chapter 2 they skipped a LOT of stuff from the TV interview and since it's important stuff for one of the character I'm sure they will come back on it later.

So so far they did not adapt all of volume 1. From the chapters I red anyway.

Razmos

Second episode was much better. Im officially intrigued.

I'm worried that they are already going into time travel territory though with the voice on the radio knowing exactly what's going to happen and guiding the guy out of the murder scene. Could possibly be another Psychic though. But the talk about changing the future and being able to speed up, slow down and reverse time. Hmm

I'm getting Durarara/Steins;Gate vibes which is pretty awesome. And the music is so damn good. That OP and ED are total hype. The art style in general is pretty good too (other than the noses and boobzilla)

Looking forward to the next episode

Cornbread78

Much better than the first episode, but still a little confusing as they jump from character to character and introduced different stories. The material itself is interesting, the art is good, the ED & OP are excellent, but the story is very scattered still.

I tried the first episode but I had to turn it off after fifteen minutes. Ryoko and the MC were way too annoying, and the whole thing was so scattershot and unfocused. I also gave up on Steins;gate after one ep because I couldn't deal with the girl who kept moaning "Aaaaah ~metal uupppaa~". Is tech savvy, otaku-esque main character with child-like, borderline brain-damaged female sidekick a recurrent thing for this author? I know people really like Steins;gate so I might give it another chance at some point, but yeah.

Cornbread78

I tried the first episode but I had to turn it off after fifteen minutes. Ryoko and the MC were way too annoying, and the whole thing was so scattershot and unfocused. I also gave up on Steins;gate after one ep because I couldn't deal with the girl who kept moaning "Aaaaah ~metal uupppaa~". Is tech savvy, otaku-esque main character with child-like, borderline brain-damaged female sidekick a recurrent thing for this author? I know people really like Steins;gate so I might give it another chance at some point, but yeah.

2nd episode slows down a LOT more than the first but it isn't very focused still.

On Steins;Gate, yeah, you should go back and watch this on ASAP. The whole tone of the shows transforms over time and is a great experience!

Hopefully they redraft ep1 into a double episode so it makes sense to viewers.

I probably think it's more a legal issue, since while, yes fast paced, I don't think they would redo a episode so early and it's really not that bad. Japanese people have the bonus of not having to read, which makes it much easier for them to follow. I don't the confusion for the viewers is a problem to fix here.

How to Kill My Interest in an Anime with one GIF

sBoTscK.gif

who the fuck thinks garbage like that is a good idea

Hopefully they redraft ep1 into a double episode so it makes sense to viewers.

It's probably a legal/licensing sort of thing. I don't think they would recut an episode while it was airing. At least I can't think of any examples where any studio has done that until the BD/DVD release.

They definitely should've broken up that episode, as it really needed it.

I definitely want to read the LN now that it's getting released over at J-Novel.... I'd be interested to see what they cut out for that first episode.

Occultic;Nine 3

This episode was fantastic! the way the dialogue flow between characters, continuously refering to old details and giving us hint for the future really give this dark mystery some hotness. Clearly every detail is important and nothing is said for no reason. The girl who lived with her dead mummified brother for a year is a good example. We can see that slowly we are connecting the dots toward a main problem/occult mystery.
Demons are clearly involved at this point

d7d0df9bfc1fd145865059fd28a12fef.jpg
b84a9030f97571bffe0303034789b1d2.jpg
b41ef336bd44e299fcd2a644b81ad819.jpg
c651ad5f351f0ac534e8c38b10706810.jpg
b9cdc634a021f7604249dace85590021.jpg
c9ae84f4585c100f3546cd755d37104f.jpg

The visuals here are amazing and the colors really bring life to everything. Also each character is so unique and special, which makes them all so interesting. And each and everyone of them is suspicious as fuck. My favorite so far is Moritsuka, the young detective. Everything about him is so great and I'm glad this episode gave more of a focus on him.

Man this episode passed way to fast! It was sooooo good. This week will be long :/

I'll also had yet again that Occultic;Nice has the best Opening and Ending this season!

These past two episodes have been a drastic improvement on the first. The mysteries involved are all pretty intriguing, and I'm definitely looking forward to this more week to week.

After watching everything, and seeing how things have developed since first being introduced, I would actually like to go back and rewatch the first episode... I'd like to go back and reference Shun, Ririka and Ria's introductions specifically.

I still think the original material must be way better and this adaptation is not making it justice.
You could read it and tell how different they are for yourself.

Right now I'm doing both and I think just from the first episode both are good in their own way. Sure some elements get switched and others are missing.

Btw j-novel club owners say that the supposition that the 3rd LN was cancelled were never confirmed anywhere.

Occultic;Nine 01-03

Decided to pick this up due to Steins;Gate but was still wary of it due to Chaos;Head and Robotics;Note and episode 1 which I struggled through; really disliked the MC and Ryouka whose design (and so far character) screams fanservice for the sake of fanservice. Luckily episode 2 and 3 kicked it up and brought the mystery elements in and focus was shifted off the MC unto other characters which I liked.

Now with the focus seeming to shift back to MC in the next episode I do hope he's more bearable to watch now.

Plot Speculation:
So it seems the mass suicide in the lake is going to be a central plot point here due to it being foreshadowed at the beginning of the series.

Cornbread78

Much better than the last 2 episodes! It's good that the show is getting better and better as we go along primarily because the little tid bits of story they (shittily) introduced in ep.1 are finally coming into play! Hopefully, they keep building up the mirder mystery part of the show, which some really good potential.

No idea why they would have pulled them if they were not going to fix the first one at least, lol.

But there was nothing to fix. I think episode 1 is great the way it is. It quickly sets up the characters and reach a critical moment.

Having red what is available on J-novel, I can tell you that unless they had maybe double the episode count(24). The way they adapted those chapters was pretty great.

Guess it depends on each person, but compared to many I went in without prior impressions of others and I still stand by my episode 1 statement. Best first episode of the season.

As for what they fix, it was probably some legal thing. Like the word they use for social medias were too close to the real thing or whatever. NiccoNico maybe.

No idea why they would have pulled them if they were not going to fix the first one at least, lol.

Looking around online, some people were speculating that it might've been a licensing issue with some logo or something. Nobody I saw really cared enough to check frame per frame, but I dunno what else it could've been.

If they recut the first episode, it'll be for the BD... But not sure they'll do that. They should, but I'm not sure it'll be worth the effort.

Occultic;Nine 4

And we are back with he best duo, Yuta Gamon and Ryu-tas. While still troubling this episode gave me a few laughs, I really like the interactions of the group at the café. The intrigue this episode gets deeper and we can see Gamotan trying is hardest to deny all facts of occult possibilities since what happened to him. Ryu-tas may seem dumb and happy, but she knows! She knows!
50a5abd5135a6390c93b2561e563ec14.jpg
f4d7d363a51038a65b812c3c4a38c26e.jpg
487b10ac7de43f2416f7bc90e7f70b9c.jpg

We are also introduced to another member of the main cast. It's interesting to see what his relationship is with Aria(which is one fucked up girl dammn) and how the occult is actually present in this world.
c0025dca8b8a6039271086fff237ebdf.jpg

We finally also get to see that Sarai finally gets in contact with Yuta and the rope tightens around the kiri-kiri basara owners neck!
69dbdf4ae1aa4f870c85259b4e880266.jpg

A great episode, next week the best boy makes his return and comes visit the cafe! Go Moritsuka!

Also, it fun to see how each characters slowly come together.

Occultic;Nine 4

Well, this is continuing to get more intriguing, but it was back to being centered around Yuta so a lot of the dialogue was pretty fast paced again. I understand that it's in character for him to talk that fast, but I do wish he would slow down a bit. I get the feeling this reads better as a LN (and potentially VN) than it feels as an anime right now.

I noticed that Touko had no reflection, and looking around it seems like there's a theory that those without reflections may be dead. Seems fitting considering people's (lack of) reactions to her, and kind of also considering that ghost guy and his relationship with the girl. Looks like they may only able to talk with people with high spiritual energy like Myu and the curse girl. The OP seems to make a big deal of the characters reflections, so I definitely think people are onto something here.

They're making moves to group up the characters more, which is good.

Occultic;Nine 5

OMG the best show of the season keeps getting better every week. The mystery went forward a lot this time and we now know where the key might go.
dcbe242ae285685891a6d5b57cfbdf70.jpg

I really loved the characters interaction this episode, mainly the 1 conversation between Moritsuka and Gamon, it went so fast and yet bam! cornered. Really great. Moritsuka stays my favourite character too! I love his smirk and is mischievous yet innocent face.
9ba10a8cce8a8556c9d3aa06964860b9.jpg
555e74fbda619f4044480e3765feea25.jpg

I have some ideas as to what some things might be, but it's all speculation at this point. it's crazy what a BL doujin can hide in term of secrets.

Also I got to say this again, but damn this show has some amazing visuals.

MAN these episode go by too fast, BRING me next week now!

Cornbread78

Not bad at all once they removed titan tits from dancing around the friggen screen like an idiot. The othr teo mysteries in the show were developing nicely and I look forward to more.

Episode 5
Well now, the manga artist or that freaky little boy hiding in the woods? I'm struggling to find the connection here, but something is uo with those two and it's pretty ominous.

Cornbread78

Don't look in the box, DON'T LOOK INTO THE BOX!!!!!

Some crazy stuff is going on in this, but it went from mystery to crazy, wtf just happened mystery. Seriously, just when I tjought I was figuring things out, all of this happens, lol.

Occultic;Nine 7
f279d29150e151f1f3b370615527e26c.png

This episode got me all stressed out and feeling all gloomy inside! The atmosphere in each scene, mainly in those memories theatre was so grim...man I loved it. Each character facing so kind of denial about their
death
makes some scenes so strong. Visually this was outstanding like usual, the choice of colors and the quality of the animation makes each scenes even more effective. That moment at the morgue at the end, seeing all those dead bodies....PERFECT!

The mystery is going forward!

Bravo to whoever at A-1 for this, you created one of my all time favorite mystery anime so far. Hoping it stays fantastic!

I do wonder if Aniplex will dub this, it would be very nice!

Razmos

OK this show went from "can barely keep up with this, not really enjoying it" to "Holy shit what, I need to keep watching" after the reveal that
everyone is dead

I was a believer, and this show is paying off!
Ep 6 finale was glorious, and turned a lot of assumptions about the show's directions all around ..
Definitely pleased

Cornbread78

Daaaaammnn. I wasn't expecting that kind of twist right there. I can't believe they are all dead. When did it all happen and how were they selected for brainwashing and forced suicide? Lots of questions, but this got pretty good over the past few episodes!

StayDead

Occultic:Nine 7

I wonder if there's more to it than the obvious.

There's definately some external force at play here. Could they all be trapped in some weird alternate reality? The obvious is the most likely outcome at the end of it all, but I don't believe in something full of twists there won't be some weird insane twist at the end of everything that will blow everything out of the water.

Occultic;Nine 8 Happiness is a warm gun

This was a slower episode(event wise), with nothing big happening aside from that last second plot bomb
CHI-CHAN!
! BUT we got lots of info on the secret society working behind the scene and how the dead people,got to stay in a pseudo-spirit form. We can sort of guess that next week is going to be pretty big from the preview at the end, I'm hyped!

One thing I really liked about this episode was the attention to detail to things like Gamon's radio and people's facial expression, it really raise the show feelings.

Big shout-out to the fact that kid Gamotan is the cutest thing ever.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Starting episode 6 now, alright, this is p good.

edit finished episode 6

well fuck

Edit after episode 7: this is great

ywU1OTB.jpg

So I just finished reading the first Occultic;Nine light novel on J-Novel Club.

The novel has much better pacing and development. I had a better feel for the characters and the overall setting, as they actually spent time with just about everyone. The 9 characters don't all get equal attention (Kiryu is mostly ignored, and Yuta still takes up a majority of the attention), but it's still more manageable than what the first episode presented. I actually care a lot more about the characters now that they've all had some development and actual introductions. The timeline of events is actually coherent, rather than a mess of scenes strung together. There's actually a lot more intrigue and other mysterious things going on that make you care about the story and what happens next. They explain or at least hint at why characters gravitate toward each other, and what motivates them.

After episode 4, I fell behind with the anime, so I decided to start from the beginning again. Rewatching the first episode after reading LN1, it's more bearable, as I actually have a feel for the characters from the novel, but it's still a mess. The first episode is basically the rushed cliffs notes version of the first novel. Some of the first novel spills into episode 2 and even a bit of 3, but they basically rushed through everything to get to new content. They should've just split the episode up to make it more coherent and take the time to introduce and make the characters more interesting from the start.

For the anime, I do still like the characters and elements of the plot, and I hope this turns out well. Even more so now after reading the novel. But I think it has a very weak intro. I heard things get really good around episode 6, so hopefully they can finish strong.

Kinda sad that the novels are stuck in limbo (likely cancelled) as I currently prefer reading the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom