• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED or LED for gaming?

Ulysses 31

Where are you pulling that figure from? Utter nonsense.

From watching CNN 20h a day for 6 weeks(840h)
real-burn-in-week-6-tv-2-magenta-small.jpg

Ascend

It's hard to recommend something when you don't give a lot of details...

First thing's first. If you are concerned about burn-in, I suggest you check this link below, and make up your own mind. One general advise I can give you is, never ever listen to fanatics. The truth can never

If you're going to watch TV in a very bright room, don't forget that IPS exists. It doesn't have deep blacks at all, but is viable for outside or very bright rooms. If you're ever going to use it in a semi-dark room, skip it. Yes, the blacks are that bad.

As for the whole OLED vs LED thing... Let's not forget QLED... Basically it's like this;
OLED: Best blacks
QLED: Best color volume & luminosity
LED: Best price
Use this as reference;

Also a good guide, from the same page, on which TV to pick;

Also note that OLED offers no variable refresh rate at this point as far as I'm aware. If you're going to game and want FreeSync support, QLED/LED is your only option.

Last edited:

Skyr

Also note that OLED offers no variable refresh rate at this point as far as I'm aware. If you're going to game and want FreeSync support, QLED/LED is your only option.

If you are unaware, you prolly shouldn't post false information then. The LG B9/C9//CX have support for VRR and are G-Sync compatible. VRR is most likely the standard that next gen consoles will support through HDMI 2.1. VRR does not equal support to FreeSync which is a different standard required for AMD cards.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you are not unaware, you prolly shouldn't post false information then. The LG B9/C9//CX have support for VRR and are G-Sync compatible. VRR does not equal support to FreeSync which is a different standard required for AMD cards.

Yup, good thing that AMD and nVIDIA seem to both converge on VRR on top of whatever proprietary standard they want to push as it helps raise the overall bar.

Ascend

If you are not unaware, you prolly shouldn't post false information then. The LG B9/C9//CX have support VRR and are G-Sync compatible. VRR does not equal support to FreeSync which is a different standard required for AMD cards.
I stand corrected then.

Last edited:

TheBoss1

Like I first said, you dont know anything about TVs. The more you talk the more obvious it becomes.

To sit here and say that QLED Tvs are mediocre quality and have shit contrast is just silly. You are hating on QLED instead of actually giving constructive pros / cons. Sorry but communicating on this level is beneath me so I guess we will have to just disagree to agree. :messenger_peace:
I do actually hate the term QLED because it is misleading on so many fronts. Yes I exaggerated the shit part but my point still stands.

If you really want to go there about who knows more about TVs then we can because it's laughable that you of all people are trying to insult my intelligence. If the shit your spewing is not just hate then you are really the one that doesn't know anything about TVs. The more you talk the more obvious it becomes.

Last edited:

Ascend

To be fair it's a mess with all the different standards currently. There should be VRR and nothing else in the future.
That's most likely what's going to happen anyway. Gsync is practically dead, considering nVidia started supporting "FreeSync" (although technically it's not FreeSync but VESA Adaptive Sync). AMD is now starting to give tiered specs for FreeSync, but that has more to do with the displays than with the tech itself. Ultimately they can silently switch to HDMI 2.1 VRR with software.

I didn't keep up with TV tech that much for the last year after the announcement of microLED, which is why I wasn't aware that LG started implementing variable refresh rate tech.

Last edited:

kingbean

I use one of dem der' TCL QLED whatcha whos'its and it's okay. It's kinda smeary even on game mode but the black frame insertion works really well with some games.

Last edited:

Kawika

It's not that is bad, but I think I had too much expectations for it. I was expecting to be blown away by HDR, but I wasnt.
I think QLEDs are better for it, they have better contrast (the smaller ones without angle improving tech) and better color gamut, but worst color accuracy.

Fuck, you really cant have it all T_T

I actually bought 4 tvs last year (returned 2). 1 OLED (B Series), 1 65" 950G and a 55" QLED 75R (Costco variant). I ended up buying the 2018 Q8 and returned it for the 950g. I am not a fan of Samsung TVs at all for movies. The QLED ended up being my game room TV as I don't watch a lot of TV there and I ended up returning the 2018 OLED due to just not being blown away by the HDR and felt the lag was a little more then I was used to. I think the B series isn't the one to get if you are buying an OLED.

The 950G is amazing but it has problems. I don't mind the haloing as much and it can be mitigated by turning down the local dimming. It also tends to have that dirty screen effect when nothing is displaying. But once video signal is being pumped in, its fine. I really wish that I got two of them if I am completely honest. The main reason I got the QLED is because of the OSSC which lost compatibility with my previous Sony after a firmware update.

My Samsung has never been updated and I intend to keep it that way. Also, some may ask why I didn't buy a higher end OLED instead of the Sony and my answer is people in my house tend to watch the same things and I don't really want a Disney logo burned into the corner of the tv.

Sony 950G
Downsides: Dirty screen effect, Haloing, and doesn't support VRR, out the box settings aren't great. Poor viewing angles.
Upside: It has great HDR. Everyone who watches movies at my house is usually blown away. I really spent a lot of time calibrating the TV and it certainly does not ship from the factory that way. Low Lag and supports dolby vision

Samsung Q75R
Downsides: Motion handling isn't as smooth,menus are slow, the gaming options really make the screen look like a mess; kind of like overclocking a PC monitor. Lots of Ghosting. Can't turn off some automatic black adjusting it does. Xbox HDR looks not as good as the on the 950g. Also has poor viewing angles.
Upsides: Low Lag, Works with all my retro and modern stuff. Freesync for XBOX and future consoles.

I really see myself replacing the Samsung QLED when HDMI 2.1 TVs are in the market. I am very happy with the 950G and I see myself using that for at least 4-5 years.

Ironbunny

For anything but gaming I would recommend OLED. The huds will have a propability of causing burn-ins on an OLED TV. Panasonic added some extra cooling for their oled TV this year to reduce burn-in but I havent read anything like that from the other brands. That said the safe bet is to go for LED as it will not have burn-in.

I have burn-in on my oled and I have been really careful. It has been caused by the youtube app. I do adore the damn thing though and next TV will be OLED too but I dont game on it.

Last edited:

Dural

Just ordered a 65" Sony 900F, 75" wouldn't fit, to replace a broken 2018 TCL 6 series. Was gonna go with a B9 OLED but was too worried my kids would leave something on and damage it, plus the Sony is half the price.

JLB

Banned
LCD.

Oled have too much problem for intensive gaming. Risk of burn-in, black crush(loss of details in dark zones and shadows), banding, and defective pixels are way more present on Oled than LCD...

I have an LG Oled since 2017, using it every day and had absolutely no issues. I have a couple of friends with C7s and no problem at all as well.

Whitecrow

Banned
OLED has drastically better pixel response time than even TN panels. If they could get it small enough it would be the defacto monitors for competitive gamers.
So great pixel response time that 30fps content stut
I actually bought 4 tvs last year (returned 2). 1 OLED (B Series), 1 65" 950G and a 55" QLED 75R (Costco variant). I ended up buying the 2018 Q8 and returned it for the 950g. I am not a fan of Samsung TVs at all for movies. The QLED ended up being my game room TV as I don't watch a lot of TV there and I ended up returning the 2018 OLED due to just not being blown away by the HDR and felt the lag was a little more then I was used to. I think the B series isn't the one to get if you are buying an OLED.

The 950G is amazing but it has problems. I don't mind the haloing as much and it can be mitigated by turning down the local dimming. It also tends to have that dirty screen effect when nothing is displaying. But once video signal is being pumped in, its fine. I really wish that I got two of them if I am completely honest. The main reason I got the QLED is because of the OSSC which lost compatibility with my previous Sony after a firmware update.

My Samsung has never been updated and I intend to keep it that way. Also, some may ask why I didn't buy a higher end OLED instead of the Sony and my answer is people in my house tend to watch the same things and I don't really want a Disney logo burned into the corner of the tv.

Sony 950G
Downsides: Dirty screen effect, Haloing, and doesn't support VRR, out the box settings aren't great. Poor viewing angles.
Upside: It has great HDR. Everyone who watches movies at my house is usually blown away. I really spent a lot of time calibrating the TV and it certainly does not ship from the factory that way. Low Lag and supports dolby vision

Samsung Q75R
Downsides: Motion handling isn't as smooth,menus are slow, the gaming options really make the screen look like a mess; kind of like overclocking a PC monitor. Lots of Ghosting. Can't turn off some automatic black adjusting it does. Xbox HDR looks not as good as the on the 950g. Also has poor viewing angles.
Upsides: Low Lag, Works with all my retro and modern stuff. Freesync for XBOX and future consoles.

I really see myself replacing the Samsung QLED when HDMI 2.1 TVs are in the market. I am very happy with the 950G and I see myself using that for at least 4-5 years.
Can I ask which settings do you use for HDR please?
I read the RTINGS guide, but I'm not sure they are the best : /

sol_bad

I was going to buy a new TV next month when I returned to Australia but then I read about the HDMI 2.1 features. And yeah if you are a gamer I'd wait for an HDMI 2.1 based set.

VRR, Quick Media Switching and ALLM are the features that interest me.

Variable Refresh Rate
As we mentioned in the section on resolution, HDMI 2.1 can support higher framerates for smoother video. But just as importantly from a gaming perspective, it allows for variable framerates. Modern PC and console games do not use a single framerate throughout the game. It varies, sometimes by quite a lot depending on the complexity of the scene. When framerates drop or speed up, there is a mismatch between what the game is providing and what the TV is set to display. To compensate, the TV has to do some guesswork and the result isn’t pretty. Lag, judder and frame tearing are all symptoms of trying to play VRR games on an HDMI 2.0b non-VRR-capable display. HDMI 2.1 gives TVs the ability to be perfect big-screen gaming companions.

Quick Media Switching
You know that blank, black screen you get sometimes when you switch sources or from games to streaming apps? That’s going away forever.

Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
Yet another improvement for gamers, ALLM lets a TV or other display know when the signal is coming from a game console or PC. When that happens, the display can automatically turn off any picture processing that could introduce latency or lag. You’ll never have to select Game Mode on your TV again.

*EDIT*
The C9 has HDMI 2.1?
IS 65 inches the biggest size for th model?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

OLED's are to dim(under 800 nits yikes) for HDR/movies.
Lose to much details in dark scenes/black crush.
Burn in and degrading parts are a real concern due to it's organic nature.
Not colorful enough compared to Qled.

A high zone FALD with 1500+ nits,4k120/VRR, Quantum Dots,Low input lag and Dolby Vision.... Is a much more appealing display and they should be available this year.

base

Banned
The witcher 3 in hdr looks amazing on my new c9! Had ks8000 previously which had washed oit colors in hdr. Now it's totally difderent!

holygeesus

Banned
I understand that movies HDR is getting brighter and brighter and that OLED simply can't keep up.

lol HDR isn't all about brightness. Ask yourself why OLED TVs score so highly on review sites for HDR viewing. The darker a TV goes is as important for impact, especially in a dark room.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
OLED's are to dim(under 800 nits yikes) for HDR/movies.
Lose to much details in dark scenes/black crush.
Burn in and degrading parts are a real concern due to it's organic nature.
Not colorful enough compared to Qled.

A high zone FALD with 1500+ nits,4k120/VRR, Quantum Dots,Low input lag and Dolby Vision.... Is a much more appealing display and they should be available this year.
800 nits? man oled is barely 10 nits. my friends had one and it exploded

you need at least 2000 nits

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

lol HDR isn't all about brightness. Ask yourself why OLED TVs score so highly on review sites for HDR viewing. The darker a TV goes is as important for impact, especially in a dark room.

LOL you need to lean on reviews sites to make a argument about the weakness of OLED.
OLED's lose details in dark scenes..I get dark black and keep my details in dark scenes with my FALD LED's.

dotnotbot

LOL you need to lean on reviews sites to make a argument about the weakness of OLED.
OLED's lose details in dark scenes..I get dark black and keep my details in dark scenes with my FALD LED's.

OLED doesn't have a problem with black crush anymore. Check Panasonic OLEDs, they're calibrated out of box, have great near-blacks handling (better than LG) and all near-blacks details are faithully preserved. Also if you calibrate LG C9 or E9 they will be very good as well.

dotnotbot

HDR is more about contrast than blinding peak brightness due to how human eyes work. You should watch HDR content only in a pitch dark room (it's designed this way) and then you will see that 700-800 is more than enough to reproduce amazing looking highlights. In the same conditions, LCD with FALD will show blooming, greatly reducing perceived contrast ratio.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

OLED doesn't have a problem with black crush anymore. Check Panasonic OLEDs, they're calibrated out of box, have great near-blacks handling (better than LG) and all near-blacks details are faithully preserved. Also if you calibrate LG C9 or E9 they will be very good as well.
Panasonic also makes brighter OLED's.
They aren't available everywhere,still have burn in/longevity issues and still not bright enough to keep up with the evolving HDR tech.

Top Bottom