• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oliver Stone's Nuclear Now - Let's talk about it [please avoid politics]

By "politics" I'm suggesting please do not refer to specific political parties or specific politicians, and please avoid "us vs them" mentality in general. Please also don't make this into a standard internet debate about climate change. Keep the focus on nuclear and the pros, the cons, if the benefits outweigh the risks, your opinions, etc.

And of course for anyone who has seen the documentary, please talk about the film itself and if you feel it made a convincing argument.

Has your opinion of nuclear energy changed over the years? Mine changed a fair amount years ago when I read a full description of just how many safety measures had to be ignored before Three Mile Island nearly went into a full meltdown.

Spaceman292

Banned
Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were a long time ago. And Fukushima only happened because the tsunami was way bigger than anyone predicted. Aside from that nuclear energy is great.

Oliver Stone is a twat though. Said he likes Putin.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

The first being how saddened I am to see Oliver Stone give into this propaganda. He's such a great, and at this point, legendary artist. But that's all this is, in my eyes -- propaganda.

First, nuclear energy is NOT the only solution. As a matter of fact, we don't require more energy. We require less. And we can easily achieve that by recognizing and admitting the actual problems. And ultimately, working through them once we can reasonably agree as we go.

What's the problem? Clear as ******* day... Overpopulation. Limit the number of children allowed per family, worldwide -- and it needs to be done now! Start working on how to negotiate allowing elderly, terminally ill, and other folks who have been fully (and I mean fully -- no more fucking cutting corners to achieve numbers -- and keep the fucking money hand in fucking jail where they fucking belong) counseled individuals who have reasonable considerations for euthanasia.

It's not easy. We all fucking know this. But using these energies -- it's not wrong. It's just too! fucking! soon! We need to learn before we fucking leap with this shit. They'll be no turning back. We have already made changes that cannot be taken back with previous meltdowns. If we, as a species, want to continue (and it will be a mutating species at a much faster rate now because of the aforementioned reasons), we have to slow down in this department, and I believe the first step is probably slowing down population growth and bringing it down slowly.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

The first being how saddened I am to see Oliver Stone give into this propaganda. He's such a great, and at this point, legendary artist. But that's all this is, in my eyes -- propaganda.
he definitely turned into a right twat with his love of Putin and because of that i wont bother with anything that cunt has to say
First, nuclear energy is NOT the only solution. As a matter of fact, we don't require more energy. We require less. And we can easily achieve that by recognizing and admitting the actual problems. And ultimately, working through them once we can reasonably agree as we go.
yeah that's not how the world works, we need more cheaper clean energy and until we get Fusion sorted, Nuclear is our best bet..
What's the problem? Clear as ******* day... Overpopulation. Limit the number of children allowed per family, worldwide -- and it needs to be done now! Start working on how to negotiate allowing elderly, terminally ill, and other folks who have been fully (and I mean fully -- no more fucking cutting corners to achieve numbers -- and keep the fucking money hand in fucking jail where they fucking belong) counseled individuals who have reasonable considerations for euthanasia.
Ask the Chinese how that 1 child solution is working out for them these days not to mention good luck going into countries where the majority of the population has an iq similar to my cat run either by religious fuckwits or authoritarian cunts and telling them to stop bucking, i fully agree on the kill the elderly bit
It's not easy. We all fucking know this. But using these energies -- it's not wrong. It's just too! fucking! soon! We need to learn before we fucking leap with this shit. They'll be no turning back. We have already made changes that cannot be taken back with previous meltdowns. If we, as a species, want to continue (and it will be a mutating species at a much faster rate now because of the aforementioned reasons), we have to slow down in this department, and I believe the first step is probably slowing down population growth and bringing it down slowly.
dude people like riding, riding produces kids, kids produce misery, riding reduces misery.. cycle repeats

Saiyan-Rox

I'm all for nuclear energy it really works

But that being said I do not trust organisations to not "cut corners" because of "what if" scenarios.

This shit is waaay too destructive to cut corners.

Oliver Stone saw action in Nam' back in 68. What have you done for this glorious country you shit-eating grin bastard? USA! USA!! USAAA!!!
30656634-0-image-a-46_1594498914491.jpg
giphy.gif

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nuclear power really is the only feasible alternative to fossil fuels, when you're talking about powering the entire world. Yes, a lot more effort needs to be made into how we deal with nuclear waste product, and the safety of the plants themselves, but no other form of clean energy can compete in terms of how much power can be produced.

Also, Oliver Stone is a massive cunt.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

There's the "perfect is the enemy of good" problem, and then there's "completely impossible, immoral, and coming with all kinds of drawbacks is the enemy of the good," the latter of which is your solution.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What's the problem? Clear as ******* day... Overpopulation.

Yeah, nah. Let me guess, you live in a city, or a major suburban area?

There's a shit load of space left on this planet for billions more human beings. But population growth needs to come with improvements to social cohesion, welfare, consumption and beneficial technologies. The amount of people isn't the problem. It's how they are managed, cared for and treated that is. You can fit a lot more human beings on earth, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't destroy more habitats, and doesn't increase emissions.

Last edited:
Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were a long time ago. And Fukushima only happened because the tsunami was way bigger than anyone predicted. Aside from that nuclear energy is great.

I love the guy. He doesn't give a single fuck what people think and is a master at spinning controversial theories and opinions into intriguing narratives. JFK is a masterpiece.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Limit the number of children allowed per family, worldwide -- and it needs to be done now! Start working on how to negotiate allowing elderly, terminally ill, and other folks who have been fully (and I mean fully -- no more fucking cutting corners to achieve numbers -- and keep the fucking money hand in fucking jail where they fucking belong) counseled individuals who have reasonable considerations for euthanasia.
FUhUxV2.jpg

Trunx81

Nuclear energy is the safest and cleanest energy we have today. I pity Germany for giving up some of the safest powerplants in the world for the "green" agenda, instead relying on coal.

But this trailer .. is propaganda ;)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
While i fully believe renewables are the future, I am of the opinion we will need nuclear to tide us over.

Personally I’d feel safer living next to an atom splitter than a coal burner.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Oh boy... Well, I have opinions. The first being how saddened I am to see Oliver Stone give into this propaganda. He's such a great, and at this point, legendary artist. But that's all this is, in my eyes -- propaganda.

All I'll say is I've always felt the Environmental movement was less Pro-Environment and more Anti-Human.
Nuclear is a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Yeah, no. This doesn't work.

The problem you fail to address is that people don't last forever. i.e. they aren't equally productive as members of society depending on what point in their lives they are at.

With a shortage of prime age labour how do you sustain pillars of society like construction and agriculture?

Sure you can use people outside that demographic group but then productivity suffers and you need more people to do the same jobs, or become totally reliant on machines to do it for you. The latter opening up a whole other can of worms as you need people to develop and maintain that infrastructure drawn from a smaller subset of the population...

SMR reactors that can be mass-produced, hauled on the back of a standard flatbed, and fueled on-site are the future of nuclear power. You can even convert existing hydrocarbon-fired infrastructure over to nuclear by plumbing these SMR reactors right into them.

Modern designs generally rely on electromagnets holding the control rods out of the reactor. No power, and gravity pulls the rods into the reactor, killing the chain reaction. They're safer than any other type of power generation that's ready to take over our needs today.

Mossybrew

Nuclear energy is the future, I don't doubt that at all. At some point we'll get over the fears and fully commit, no idea if that will be in 50 years or 200 but it's bound to happen unless we suffer planetwide armageddon.

badblue

Nuclear energy is a solution to the GHG being pumped out by power plants running on fossil fuels. Decreasing the amount of energy we have would just cause a lot of problems. I can't think of a single way decreasing someone's quality of life make things better for anyone.

What's the problem? Clear as ******* day... Overpopulation. Limit the number of children allowed per family, worldwide -- and it needs to be done now!

Poorer nations are where most of the "overpopulation" comes from. To lower population growth, those peoples need to be lifted out of the situations that lead to it.

Also, I do believe that many western nations are having less kids already to the point where some are having negative population growth. (more deaths then births)

Start working on how to negotiate allowing elderly, terminally ill, and other folks who have been fully (and I mean fully -- no more fucking cutting corners to achieve numbers -- and keep the fucking money hand in fucking jail where they fucking belong) counseled individuals who have reasonable considerations for euthanasia.

You'll be glad to know that Canada is fully on board with setting that up. Heck we may even get to the point psyche examines are not even needed before you get the needle. Just walk in, take a number and go to the back room when called.

It's just too! fucking! soon! We need to learn before we fucking leap with this shit. They'll be no turning back. We have already made changes that cannot be taken back with previous meltdowns.
Technology keeps getting better.

Perhaps you should look into where the current tech is sitting before jumping to that conclusion.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The waste is bad but manageable. The power for the expense is worth the effort. Nuclear is our best option until we have more efficient personal Solar options.

Teletraan1

Banned
The US Navy runs on Nuclear power in active warzones and nobody bats an eye. The tech in your phone is more powerful than what was running 3 mile island or Chernobyl. Instead we have anti human scum crying propaganda while unironically telling people they should die because of overpopulation. Most western nations are at a negative population growth already without immigration.

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

This is a very anti-human stance.

Given how certain you sound -- I imagine you're just going to ignore everything that I say.

But in the tiny chance you're even a little open-minded to new information, hear me out for a second.

Population Growth​

Firstly, on the population front -- virtually every developed country is in population decline or will be in the next few decades.

Fertility rates are abysmally low in the Western world, and this will have massive repercussions on the world. More and more old people relying on the labor of less and less young people to sustain the whole system. Limiting population further is not just ill-advised, it's civilization suicide.

Here is what a healthy population pyramid looks like that can sustain a growing society (this is Uganda):

capture

Here's the US -- well on its way to terminal:

capture

And here are Germany, South Korea, and Japan -- completely terminal populations, and a sneak peak into where all developed countries will be by mid-century:

capture

capture

capture

So, virtually 100% of the population growth is happening in developing countries while the developed world is facing population crisis.

Energy Sources for Developing Countries​

Secondly, on the climate front... Developing countries are countries that are currently burning wood, shit, coal for their energy.

For example, the continent of Africa relies on biomass (shit and wood) for almost 50% of their energy: Africa: primary energy demand by source | Statista

Despite some political ideologues touting biomass as some sort of mother-nature-friendly energy source, objectively speaking, burning wood for energy is absolutely terrible for climate change, especially over the next century (the "critical point"): Does replacing coal with wood lower CO2 emissions? Dynamic lifecycle analysis of wood bioenergy - IOPscience

For another example, South Asia gets almost 50% of its energy from burning coal: Market Report Series: Coal 2019

I don't think I need to make the argument on why coal is bad.

Energy Poverty and Human Suffering​

Thirdly, the countries that are fuelling all of the global population growth AND burning the dirtiest sources of energy are the same countries that are in the worst states of energy poverty.

sustainability-05-02060-g001.png

These regions require MUCH MORE energy, not less. Many of these regions don't have dependable access to electricity, heat, cooking fuel.

It's hard to imagine what it's like to live an incredibly poor country where you don't have a dependable way to boil your dirty water, cook your scraps of food, and light your home at night -- let alone transportation, communication, etc.

So to summarize...​

• Developed world is in population free-fall
  • All population growth is happening in poor countries
  • These countries have the absolute worst energy mix in terms of impact on climate
  • They need substantially more access to energy, not less, in order to ease human suffering and give people basic amenities you and I take for granted
If these are all correct (and I've provided sources for all of them, so feel free to dispute with your own sources), then I think your argument boils down to a very anti-human one.

Instead of investing in energy sources that we know are (a) relatively safe, (b) carbon neutral, (c) able to satisfy growing energy demands, and (d) able to alleviate human suffering and afford opportunities for people who had the bad luck of being born in the wrong part of the world...

Your answer is:

Fuck those poor people, make them stop reproducing, let them suffer, and hopefully enough of them die to reduce demand.

Did I get that right?

Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

I believe you're looking for the "Bill Burr cruise ships" approach, or the "Thantos snap" approach. Might I suggest instead solving energy problems rather than killing people or forcing them not to breed?

Funny, but no. Let's not do that.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

Nonsense, you need more energy and more education. You need to use the energy to lift the poor economies out of poverty as fast as possible and then the birth rate will drop. There is literally zero need for draconian laws that will only lead to tyranny.

There are loads of models showing that we will probably max around 11 billion which the earth can easily support.

no long ago I saw some videos about it:

I don't have thoughts...is like having strong opinions about "Big Farma", A.I., electric cars, the financial system (or any topic that is so big that the powers behind them makes you feel like an ant).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nuclear power is awesome. Ok the one worry is the plant blows up and everything in a 10 mile radius is fucked. Fair enough. I'll take my chances on a plant blowing up, just as I'll take my chances getting on a plane and crashing into the Atlantic.

But overall reliable and my utility bills are stable as hell. Only time it budges up is in winter when I got the heat on. I got AC on in the summer and my bills are fine. All that crazy shit you hear about places with energy sources reliant on the commodity market whipsawing people's monthly utility bills is insane and IMO totally irresponsible by government.

Everyone should have access to safe affordable energy. It's no different than roads. Unless you live in a shit place with a broke government, the roads and sidewalks are probably pretty decent, your income and property taxes are pretty stable, the goods and service tax you pay when you buy shit is likely stable too.

So to hear those stories of energy bills doubling or tripling is odd as hell.

Last edited:
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

Edgy takes like this are all well and good on a vidyagame forum, but anyone with an ounce of real power that talks like this needs to be shot in the head before they become the next Insert-Genocidal-Maniac-Here.

Edit - Also my grandfather died of cancer less than a year ago, and I'm currently taking care of my grandmother. If I actually said how I really feel about all the edgelord shit in your post it would be a quite-warrented permanent ban for me, so I'll just leave it at that. Good day, and I hope your family never has to deal with this sentiment from you.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

What's the problem? Clear as ******* day... Overpopulation. Limit the number of children allowed per family, worldwide [ .... ] I believe the first step is probably slowing down population growth and bringing it down slowly.

Energy is directly correlated with standard of living and GDP. The more energy you use, the richer you are, when you say we need less energy what you are actually saying is let's make all of us poorer.
If you want less people on the planet, the most cost effective way and the fastest way is to lift these people out of poverty, and so, give them access to cheap energy.

Nuclear energy is not the only solution but it is A solution, and because we need to build a lot more energy ASAP, nuclear is a good way to achieve that.
It is very energy dense and once its get going it can build a lof of capacity fast, like France did, Like Korea did, like the US did when they were actively building nuclear.

Nydius

All I can say is environmentalists getting nuclear plants shut down and replaced by carbon emitting plants has to be the biggest self own in history

Completely agree. I remember all the anti-nuclear sentiment of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not just anti-weapons but anti-power plants. Three Mile Island and Chernobyl gave NIMBY, anti-nuclear activists all the ammunition they needed to sway the general public to their side. Movies like "The China Syndrome" were designed solely to scare the fuck out of people regarding nuclear power plants. I vividly remember seeing footage of protests against uranium strip mining.

Now many of these same NIMBY activists are pushing for wind and solar which is far less efficient and far more wasteful than nuclear. Even the best industrial solar panels only have a lifespan of ~15 years and then end up sitting in landfills where they never biodegrade. One can easily find pictures of broken/damaged windmill turbines being buried in the desert. There is nothing green about wind and solar power -- the amount of petrochemicals and carbon needed to create, install, and maintain them outweigh the benefits of using them for energy production. It ends up being a wash.

Trying to get a new nuclear plant approved by the NRC is almost as hard as getting anything done through our gridlocked Congress. Even if they were to pass a new plant today it, on average, takes 6-8 years to build a new plant. Probably longer in the US due to regulatory involvement and environmental lawsuits. Nuclear needs to be part of our energy strategy but I just don't see it happening -- activists from 30 to 50 years ago have absolutely ruined it.

The Biden administration is investing in small modular reactors. An American company is building prototypes in Romania. They're supposed to be small and don't require external intervention in case of emergency - they can cool themselves. Russia and China have operational prototypes.

dem

Canada is also building Small Modular Reactors.. but it's going to take a while. I believe the first in Ontario is scheduled for 2028... but who knows how long it will really take.

BWRX-300 SMR

LordOfChaos

I'm pro nuclear power. He makes a good analogy, most people aren't afraid of driving or being driven around, but it's significantly more likely to be fatal than flying, which more people are scared of. Nuclear power kills almost no people, the disasters are just very notable, and all involve a combination of old gen reactors and a 1 in 100 year disaster. Oil, gas, and coal are responsible for the deaths of millions.

Renewables are great but the buildout isn't fast enough, nuclear is a good way forward and new gen reactors are extremely safe.

Last edited:

Lasha

Completely agree. I remember all the anti-nuclear sentiment of the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not just anti-weapons but anti-power plants. Three Mile Island and Chernobyl gave NIMBY, anti-nuclear activists all the ammunition they needed to sway the general public to their side. Movies like "The China Syndrome" were designed solely to scare the fuck out of people regarding nuclear power plants. I vividly remember seeing footage of protests against uranium strip mining.

Now many of these same NIMBY activists are pushing for wind and solar which is far less efficient and far more wasteful than nuclear. Even the best industrial solar panels only have a lifespan of ~15 years and then end up sitting in landfills where they never biodegrade. One can easily find pictures of broken/damaged windmill turbines being buried in the desert. There is nothing green about wind and solar power -- the amount of petrochemicals and carbon needed to create, install, and maintain them outweigh the benefits of using them for energy production. It ends up being a wash.

Trying to get a new nuclear plant approved by the NRC is almost as hard as getting anything done through our gridlocked Congress. Even if they were to pass a new plant today it, on average, takes 6-8 years to build a new plant. Probably longer in the US due to regulatory involvement and environmental lawsuits. Nuclear needs to be part of our energy strategy but I just don't see it happening -- activists from 30 to 50 years ago have absolutely ruined it.

Anti nuclear activists are weird. South Carolina had an overlap of people protesting nuclear power plants in the 90s while also campaigning to keep the Charleston Naval Base open. The naval base housed the entire nuclear submarine fleet. Protest the reactor safely protected in containment while begging to keep the nuclear powered warships next to your house.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm pro-nuclear but anti-Stone.

My brother in law is a reactor boss btw. He's a pure bred pro. If what I've learned from him is true, nuclear is pretty damn safe.

Last edited:

Nydius

Anti nuclear activists are weird. South Carolina had an overlap of people protesting nuclear power plants in the 90s while also campaigning to keep the Charleston Naval Base open. The naval base housed the entire nuclear submarine fleet. Protest the reactor safely protected in containment while begging to keep the nuclear powered warships next to your house.
It was the same where I grew up in SE Virginia. People protested Surry Nuclear Power Plant but didn’t bat an eye at the sheer number of nuclear powered ships at NAVSTA Norfolk. Or the fact that nuclear reactors were quite literally being built and maintained at Newport News Shipyard and NORSHIPCO in Norfolk.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oh boy...

Well, I have opinions.

Overpopulation is a myth btw.

Sophist

Nuclear is dangerous, only dangerous people would want it. It's time to stop and move on. For the planet, for humanity.

Lasha

It was the same where I grew up in SE Virginia. People protested Surry Nuclear Power Plant but didn’t bat an eye at the sheer number of nuclear powered ships at NAVSTA Norfolk. Or the fact that nuclear reactors were quite literally being built and maintained at Newport News Shipyard and NORSHIPCO in Norfolk.

Nutters. I grew up next to a nuclear plant. The buffer space ends up being a nature conservation zone. People used to hike and hunt (deer overpopulation) on the grounds before 9/11.

Last edited:
Top Bottom