• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG! Grand Theft Auto SA Should have gotten AO Rating

Kon Tiki

Banned
Rabid Wolverine said:
I cant believe the word
Cunt
made it into the game.
Pussy6.jpg

:lol

Zeo

Banned
I half think that GTA: SA should be rated AO.

I thought the ratings system was always good as far as telling people what kind of game it is. I just think lately it's been kind of dumb, with shit like E10+ which no one will care about. I always saw it as

(whatever it is, I forgot) = G
E = PG
T = PG-14
M = R
AO = X

Pretty simple I think.

But yeah, I wonder how much sales would be hurt from an AO rating. Or maybe even better.

Ninja Scooter said:
as far as parents/government complaints go, those will never be gone. They were bitching before the rating system was implemented during the Mortal Kombat days. The ESRB finally gave them a rating system and they still bitch. They got a "Parental Advisory" sticker on music albums, and they STILL bitch. They got a stricter rating system for movies and even a rating system on television shows, and they STILL bitch. The most vocal douchebags won't stop until these kinds of games/music/movies that they see as obscene are gone so they can live in their ideal little Jesusland where everyone watches reruns of The Waltons and listens to Conway Twitty.

Pretty much. It's a political leverage point. It somehow got into peoples heads that videogames cause people to be terrible people, and politicians are playing off that to win favor. No rating system will get these people to stop.

mosaic

go eat paint
I'm still flabbergasted that The Guy Game wasn't rated Ao -- I mean, the ENTIRE point of the game is to answer trivia questions so that you can see bare breasts (and the rare very fast bush shot--oh yeah, they're in there).

Bluecondor

I just don't see the AO rating serving much of a purpose, other than being a standard that the ESRB can use to get developers to remove highly controversial content.

It has been said before that no reasonable developer would ever release a game that is AO, because retailers would not want to sell it. And - correct me if I'm wrong - but I think Sony is on record saying that they don't want developers making AO games, and would not approve one in a licensing agreement.

This is probably what happened with GTA:SA - R* removed a few things that allowed the ESRB to give it an M rating. This is probably why the "hot coffee" mode isn't in the XBox/PS2 versions and can only be hacked into in the PC version.

yeah

thats prolly true and altho the code is there its not accessable for little jimmy the moment he puts in the game (same way in wrestling games alot of unused themes and wrestlers are in the game data but removed from the final product)

Hell you can call DOA: volleyball AO because you can hack nude skins into it.
\

edit: and after watching the video of "Hot Coffee" im glad they took it out as I would be more embarrased to have to play that scene, and woulda caused WAAAY more harm than "coolness" imo, Hell I thought the threesomes in God of War were a bit much.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeo said:
E/Preschool = G
E10+ = PG
T = PG-13
M = R
AO = X

This is what it SHOULD be. There is not even a single thing in any E rated game that would not make it into a G rated movie. Similarly for E10+, nothing that wouldn't make it into a PG movie.

Nevermind that, let's go by your original rating which still had M at R.

Mature IS a rated R game. And if you watch many movies, then you know there is literally nothing in San Andreas that is out of place in ANY rated R movies. Shit, I've seen rated R movies with full frontal nudity and fairly graphic sex. I've seen rated R movies with simulated blowjobs and stores filled with dildos. Rated R movies with overflowing gore and profanity.

San Andreas is no different because it's a game. If we don't keep a decent standard, the requirements will become ridiciulous across the board.

San Andreas is a Mature game. Simple as that. it's not "half a AO" or, "almost AO" or 'should be AO", it's M. If you're shocked by the contents therein, get out a little more. Watch a few more movies. Lower your standards a bit. San Andreas is nothing but a mature title that simply took it a bit further than other mature titles. Which is not surprising, since games have been remarkably tame for a medium that's 2 1/2 decades old.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't understand the US cinema or games ratings.

NC-17 means nobody under 17 can go. Same as 18 rating in UK/Europe, and there are lots of those - doesn't seem to affect attendcance, yet its a death rating for movies in America?

Yet R means pretty much the same thing, but under 17s can go - just advisory? i.e parents just ignore it.

Jewbacca

Banned
Im sure Walmart makes up a small fraction of sales for GTA:SA so it wouldnt be devistating. I dont have exact numbers but I'm sure its less then 10% of total sales.

Wal-Mart discount stores: 1494. -Supercenters: 1386. -Sam's Clubs: 532 (as of April 05)

3412 Stores

Copies of GTA Sold Approx 5.8 milion?

Lets say over a 7 month span each Walmart Sold 250 Copies of GTA:SA (Thats 63 or so Boxes [4 to a package] )

850,000 copies sold threw Walmart.

I am over estimating because no way in hell Wally World sells that much GTA and just incase someone says what about Walmart.com, Walmart distributes to their online store first and then the rest leak out the local stores and Sam's.

Sams Club doesnt have nearly the video game stock Walmarts have (more on the value games side).

But if Walmart didnt carry GTA:SA then people would have bought it at Target, Gamestop ect ect... I really dont think it would have mattered.

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:
I don't understand the US cinema or games ratings.

NC-17 means nobody under 17 can go. Same as 18 rating in UK/Europe, and there are lots of those - doesn't seem to affect attendcance, yet its a death rating for movies in America?

Yet R means pretty much the same thing, but under 17s can go - just advisory? i.e parents just ignore it.

Well, an R movie you have to go with someone over 17. An NC-17 movie you can't do that in the US. It's the death rating because this country has a lot of conservatives who will create a noteable backlash at any attempt to widely distribute such a movie. And thus, most of the NC-17 movies either cut back content for US release or simply don't release at all.

Meier

Definitely should have been AO. It clearly is not a game for kids in any form or fashion and with a rating like that, maybe parents would wake up and realize it.

Ranger X

With this oral sex scene in unhacked version of the console game i could see AO rating.
But as it is now, M is ok.

Even further, i think that teens should be exposed to sex before/earlier than violence.
It's primarily violence that would make me rate a movie R or a game M.
Most T games would become M i guess. GTASA would definetely be M. Manhunt, Punisher and other very gratuitious and violent games would get an AO from me.

Gek54

I am pretty sure I was threatening to beat my friends with their mother's dildo back in junior high durring the snes days. SA doesnt need to be AO.

Top Bottom