• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedhros

That's a good analysis. Overall I enjoy how OPM subverts classic shonen tropes, but at some point it becomes a bit frustrating. And hell, maybe the heckler is half-right, and I do want to see a drawn out fight, or somebody that at least makes Saitama break a singular drop of sweat. :p

I think you're watching the wrong show.

But some enemies maybe will give him just a bit more of work. But it's mainly a show with running with the Onepunch gag.

Just makes it sadder that his family apparently doesn't want him to become a mangaka so he sticks to doing webcomics as a hobby.

If the reasoning isn't because "you'll be a loser" but because they might have heard of the industry and what it can do to the health of big name authors then hey I can't blame them.

kaioshade

I have only read the Murata version of OPM, but can someone who is up to date on ONE's version tell me if Saitama finally stops getting shit on?

At first it was funny, but after a while its just stupid. Like how freakin dumb can the populace be?

Heroman

Banned
I have only read the Murata version of OPM, but can someone who is up to date on ONE's version tell me if Saitama finally stops getting shit on?

At first it was funny, but after a while its just stupid. Like how freakin dumb can the populace be?
Spoiler alert
no he still hasn't gotten his due yet.

He has moved up to A class and a decent chunk of S class is aware of his strength. He's also in the middle of a fight with Tatsumaki, so that'll probably be good for his reputation.

General population though? Nope.

I haven't read the One version but I assume he'll never stop being shit on except by other high ranking superheroes who eventually discover he's actually strong AF.

Yonafunu

better in what?

Action, comedy, writing, both, something else?

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

Well, first of all, I think the setting and characters are more relatable, since it's more of a traditional coming of age story.
I also prefer the comedy in Mob Psycho. In terms of action it's not as flashy most of the time, which is to be expected. In terms of writing, I couldn't say which is better, it's been too long since I reread either of them. All I can say is I enjoyed reading Mob Psycho more.

He's done enough to move up to A Rank, and he's developed a "harem" of people, including S Rank, who recognize his power, but the major incidents he's involved in after Sea King happen far away from the public in devastated areas where S Rankers are involved and most people haven't seen his true level of involvement and assume he just helped.

Heroman

Banned
Mob is going to a werid show since it doesn't have the redraw that one punch man does, I wonder I they will change the art or will keep ones art.

Maedhros

So am I correct in assuming that Mob is more traditiional with its writing/characters while OPM was his side project gag manga?

It's full of gags.

In fact, One's best character is in it.

Everyone knows who I'm talking about.

And yeah, it's different from OPM in tone and storytelling. I don't consider any of them better than the other.

So am I correct in assuming that Mob is more traditiional with its writing/characters while OPM was his side project gag manga?

ONE: One-Punch Man is something I originally started just to entertain myself. So, I just do whatever the heck I want with the characters. With Makai no Ossan, I create it while thinking about how the daily readers are reacting to the story. I put in tons of characters so that fans would have more to look forward to. In contrast to One-Punch Man, the main guy in Mob Psycho 100 is emotionally weak and delicate. So the side characters act as a support for him. The series are kind of opposite, but they are both extremes, making them easier to create. Regarding my schedule, I've been given some amount of flexibility, so it isn't that difficult.

I'll have to read it then, but "emotionally weak and delicate" for a protagonist might not have as much of an appeal for some people that I was able to recommend OPM for. Some people are tired of those protagonists.

Somewhat, though they share quite a few similarities (overpowered protagonist that never gets credit being the main one). There's also speculation that they take place in the same world and that the number 1 hero Blast is actually Mob.

Puruzi

Banned
Somewhat, though they share quite a few similarities (overpowered protagonist that never gets credit being the main one). There's also speculation that they take place in the same world and that the number 1 hero Blast is actually Mob.

man that would be so fucking legit

Krixeus

Thanks for that now I have a face to read some of these GAF posts with
Wxxxbrq.png

I assume those were some actual posts on here? Hilarious either way XD

Adnor

Banned
Also people shouldn't sell ONE short. His art may not be good, but his storytelling is fantastic. Remember that most pages of Murata's version are redraws of ONE's, using the same panel layout and perspective.

I'll have to read it then, but "emotionally weak and delicate" for a protagonist might not have as much of an appeal for some people that I was able to recommend OPM for. Some people are tired of those protagonists.

Having read the majority of Mob Psycho available, I wouldn't call Mob "emotionally weak," particularly in light all of the baggage that descriptor brings. He certainly doesn't have the immediate appeal of a character like Saitama -- he's quiet, plain, doesn't have a lot of presence or charisma, and is physically weak. But all of these qualities -- as well as the mundane and existential angsts that arise for his character -- all come to make a good deal of sense when you learn about his life and the hardships he faces. He begins the story with a fairly measured worldview for a boy his age and a surprising lightheartedness in spite of his troubles, and One takes a great deal of time developing him among a supporting cast that is also fairly well-developed.

This is rather trite, but Mob is kind of like his series -- bland and dull on the surface, especially in comparison with OPM, but with a great deal of depth and drama and excitement that reveals itself as the story goes on. ONE has a surprising sense for emotional detail, and it does rear its head in OPM every once in a while. Mob Psycho still has a lot of gags and comedy, but it doesn't feel nearly as constrained by the comedic engine. In the long term -- at least in my opinion -- Mob Psycho becomes the better of the two for it.

Yonafunu

great post

This puts my thoughts into words much better than I ever could. It's also because of Mob as a character that Mob Psycho tends to be a sweeter, less cynical series than OPM. It's a really great series, and while I'm glad that ONE's getting some recognition through OPM, it's getting conflated with Murata and his art (which definitely deserve praise, I must addb). Mob Psycho is all ONE, and it's fucking awesome.

Edit: but let's not turns this into a Mob Psycho thread,

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It might be just a difference between the official translation and the fan-translation of the manga I first read, but I did miss Mumen Rider's "if I won't fight, then who will?" part to his speech.

The new music definitely helped. Licenseless is awesome and perhaps the first Hero Saitama has ever praised. Realy wish we'd gotten this little bit, though:

rsz_1rsz_565b46f1eea3d.png
Yeah, it was a difference in translation. It was translated like that in Portuguese:

lxQvQYK.png

"If I don't face you here, who will?"

Character names are all either in English or Portuguese too (Licenseless Rider instead of Mumen Rider, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom