• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Our desire is to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation - Phil Spencer

MonarchJT

Banned
What does that have to do with removing a user base of over 100 million at a time when none of your console exclusives breaking the 10 - 15 million mark ? They would be fools to let Call Of Duty drop from being the best selling game to selling half of what it used to sell .
startfield like the others are exclusives they don't give a fuck about those 100m... if they have other interest because they are absolutely not scared of losing that money..for a log term plan.
they just gave 70b ...more than the entire value of playstation division for 4 or 5 games ...did you get it ? this is to build their strong platform ...I repeat .....their strong platform (which includes Xcloud consoles and their Windows operating system) . and unluckily they know that playstation is in part a impediment in this.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Lol that's not a reason it won't happen.

That's like saying: this deal between hungry dude and McDonald's will never happen!

Hungry dude will want 10 cheeseburgers for $0. McDonald's will want $100 for 0 cheeseburgers.

It's an intractable situation!

There's such a thing as negotiation.
Not really a good analogy.

Ultimately I don't think either side would cave.

John Wick

We've been through this 100 times now. His comment isn't what your title infers.

It means existing Call of Duty games won't be taken off PlayStation. We already figured that.
Exactly!
Otherwise he would of clearly stated that all future Cod's would be on PS platforms. Usual Mr Nice guy bullshit from double speak Phil.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
And what concessions does Sony have to make to remain "desirable"?
Bobby Moynihan Body Roll GIF by Saturday Night Live

Would PlayStation users need to use Xbox accounts and earn achievements or use PSN account and earn trophies?

Either. And privilege extended to Xbox GP players.

Would PlayStation users be able to subscribe through PSN and would Sony get a cut of said fee?

It'd work the same way PS and Xbox people can subscribe to things like Netflix on their console, with Sony getting a cut from GP sub sign-ups done through PlayStation.

Would Microsoft publish all of their 1st party games onto the PlayStation Store for individual purchases like EA does? (And give Sony a 30% cut.)

No, at least not at launch. Probably a year or so later if not longer (or in some cases, ever).

Would it just be a streaming app or will the games run natively?

Just streaming; physical releases would come a year or so later, depends on the game (also means some may not get a native release on PS ever).

Will it include Xbox 360 and Xbox games or just modern Xbox One/Series games?

Just modern 1P releases.

Will the games be playable with Xbox controllers?

I mean you're using a PlayStation, ask Sony.

Etc.

Its quite complicated and I doubt Sony & Microsoft would agree.

Also GP on PlayStation would naturally be cheaper as a result of this; $4.99/MO to $6.99/MO would be my guess. But this would first all require Microsoft to make xCloud its own app instead of being exclusively tied to GamePass Ultimate.

Kerotan

What about Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2? Probably the only game blizzard will release this gen.

Call of Duty remains until when? End of gen?

Really vague trying to be nice.
The next 3 cods when it's up to MS to decide if they're the biggest cunts in gaming or not.

So warzone support forever like Minecraft. Modern Warfare 2, black ops cold war 2 and sledgehanmers next game.

Dr Bass

startfield like the others are exclusives they don't give a fuck about those 100m...
they just gave 70b ...more than the entire value of playstation division for 4 or 5 games ...did you get it ? this is to build their strong platform ...I repeat .....their strong platform (which includes Xcloud consoles and their Windows operating system) . and unluckily they know that playstation is in part a impediment in this.
Why would 70b be more than the value of the playstation division when PS makes waaaay more revenue and profit than Activision?

I really don't think you know what you are talking about dude.

P.S. Zenimax/Bethesda doesn't make that much money, less than 500 million annually. They are a drop in the bucket for either Sony and MS and won't swing console divisions one way or the other. Starfield won't change that. I mean, I hope the game is bad ass, but I know it's not gonna change that.

MonarchJT

Banned
He didn't say that. We don't know that deals they have and until then. And he said CoD, not Warzone.
yeah you are the one who was saying the same about Bethesda ....about gamepass numbers ..about ma couldn't leave money on the table. basically you have a distorted vision of reality based on your infinite love for sony

MonarchJT

Banned
Why would 70b be more than the value of the playstation division when PS makes waaaay more revenue and profit than Activision?

I really don't think you know what you are talking about dude.

P.S. Zenimax/Bethesda doesn't make that much money, less than 500 million annually. They are a drop in the bucket for either Sony and MS and won't swing console divisions one way or the other. Starfield won't change that. I mean, I hope the game is bad ass, but I know it's not gonna change that.
Sony entire company is valued around 135/145b ... playstation give the company around the 30% of the total income. do your math

Last edited:
Call of Duty would fall off without PlayStation. Even Halo & Gears of War have fallen from what they used to be so imagine what would happen to Call Of Duty as a Xbox exclusive. It would just open the door for some other FPS to take over.
Oh ya. Look how great the Halo killing Killzone 2 is doing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Meanwhile Halo 4 “fell off” to record breaking sales and Halo 5 is set to do the same.

Microsoft knows the future of GamePass (content) is all streaming and no consoles. Every move their making right now is to sell GamePass subscriptions. Not consoles. Every PlayStation sold is possibly one less GamePass subscription sold.

They’ll take the hit now knowing that hardware will be a thing of the past soon.

That’s the game right now.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah you are the one who was saying the same about Bethesda ....about gamepass numbers ..about ma couldn't leave money on the table. basically you have a distorted vision of reality based on your infinite love for sony

You need to hope they don't make a COD game for 2023 then.

Keep in mind, even if MS did for some reason allow all CoD titles to release on PS (not gonna happen though lol) it is still basically over for Sony when it comes to that Activision cash flow. They will lose a lot of their primary revenue sources and won't be able to dedicate as much financially to their first party. If they agreed to allow Game Pass it would turn out even worse for them. No matter what - MS bought AB for 70 BILLION DOLLARS. They own it, it is theirs. It's done.

Last edited:

onQ123

startfield like the others are exclusives they don't give a fuck about those 100m... if they have other interest because they are absolutely not scared of losing that money..for a log term plan.
Starfield is a new game with nothing to lose

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I think GP on PS has been a conversation between MS and Sony since the Azure deal.
They might even have talked about hardware, so MS studios won't have a hard time developing games for PlayStation.

Both consoles are almost identical - we haven't seen that since the 68000 days.
Build like PC's to make it easier for developers.

All existing agreements to me mean whatever agreements Activision had for marketing, and any exclusive deals in the pipeline, and "Our desire to keep Call of duty on Playstation" is pretty cut and dry. It's staying, as long as the deal is favorable to Microsoft, so probably cross-play stuff as it relates to fees. Personally, I am fine either way, as I have an XSX too, but I imagine some green warriors, are PISSED at uncle Phil for this ultimate betrayal.

yurinka

Yes, I said the same about Bethesda and Minecraft: MS said for both and AB (and now with this tweet specifically about CoD) that they would keep supporting these communities on the other platforms, that the acquisition wasn't going about removing games from the other platforms.

And as of now, they also released on PS all the games (Minecraft Dungeons and Quake Remastered), dlc and updates of the IPs they had on PS before the acquisition.

Starfield or Redfall aren't announced for PS, so maybe what they plan to do is to keep the pre-acquisition IPs multi and the post-acquisitions new IPs exclusive. They also mentioned that the exclusivity would be a case by case scenario, so maybe this is their plan.

If MS doesn't release a game on PS, means Sony won't get 30% of that money and MS won't get 70% of that money. Both leave money on the table, but MS more. Specially when in Xbox or PC pretty likely instead of paying that money the player would get it on GP, generating less revenue for them than with buying it.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Sony entire company is valued around 135/145b ... playstation give the company around the 30% of the total income. do your math
You think someone could buy the Playstation Brand for 68 billion dollars?

Look at Activision annual revenue ... Look at their historical quarterly growth:

Now look at Sony's annual revenue ... On top of that look at Sony's quarterly growth, and consider the difference in revenue to begin with:

You're probably looking at the market cap and going "30% of 140 billion is less than 68 billion!" ... but you're not considering the multiples put on software business valuations vs, things like TVs and Camcorders, which typically has less.

There is no way in hell Activision is a bigger and more important player in the game industry than Sony. They make far less revenue and profit. They are not a platform. There is no way the Playstation Brand sells for less than Activision.

This whole thing is hilarious. A week ago Activision were considered a black sheep embarrassment on this board. Now today some people think they are the biggest force in the industry. What in the ever loving heck is going on in some people's minds. I mean, I know what it is, but how can so much cognitive dissonance be happening?

MScarpa

I think people are underestimating the importance of Microsoft and Sony's potential deal with Azure. That is certainly in play here. Folks like to reference the $3 trillion company Microsoft is, but Azure is the reason why they are a $3 trillion company. Not gaming.

Think of it this way. Microsoft gets paid on the sale of every PlayStation Call of Duty game and also gets paid by hosting those Call of Duty games in Azure......for PlayStation. This is just good business.

Imagine this phone call after MS yanks Call of Duty from PS:

Jim Ryan: Hey Phil, I just told Nadella that we are not going to need nearly as much Azure resources as we thought we would.

Phil Spencer: Really? Why is that?

Jim Ryan: Why the fuck do you think, asshole?
This hurts Sony more than MS. And MS can take losses. Sony cannot.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Either. And privilege extended to Xbox GP players.
Thats not an answer.

It'd work the same way PS and Xbox people can subscribe to things like Netflix on their console, with Sony getting a cut from GP sub sign-ups done through PlayStation.
Microsoft wouldn't want to give Sony a cut.

No, at least not at launch. Probably a year or so later if not longer (or in some cases, ever).
Sony wouldn't agree to "no." Microsoft would insist on "no."

Just streaming; physical releases would come a year or so later, depends on the game (also means some may not get a native release on PS ever).
Sony and Microsoft would both have issues with this.

Just modern 1P releases.
Sony might want old games too. Another friction point.

I mean you're using a PlayStation, ask Sony.
Sony would say no. Microsoft would disagree. Could also cause issues with controls.

Also GP on PlayStation would naturally be cheaper as a result of this; $4.99/MO to $6.99/MO would be my guess. But this would first all require Microsoft to make xCloud its own app instead of being exclusively tied to GamePass Ultimate.
Microsoft wouldn't want to offer such a low price.

DJ12

Yea and that desire is probably through a Game Pass app that Sony will probably never agree to.
They will, Microsoft are no longer in competition with Sony, they want PlayStation fans money as much if not more than pc and xbox console owners.

MS should really just publish all there stuff on PlayStation, charge full price and just make it known they want gamepass on PlayStation to be a thing. The fanbase will soon tell Sony they want it.

If EA can do it, why cannot Microsoft have there sub service there too.

Having a gamepass sub everytime there's something on it I want to play (rarely if gamepass for pc is any indicator) would not stop me paying for what Sony offer.

My only issue will be if its more cost effective to pay for a year as I'm a suckered for a deal but would rarely play on it. (Assuming they won't port forza horizon to PlayStation)

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You think someone could buy the Playstation Brand for 68 billion dollars?

Look at Activision annual revenue ... Look at their historical quarterly growth:

Now look at Sony's annual revenue ... On top of that look at Sony's quarterly growth, and consider the difference in revenue to begin with:

You're probably looking at the market cap and going "30% of 140 billion is less than 68 billion!" ... but you're not considering the multiples put on software business valuations vs, things like TVs and Camcorders, which typically has less.

There is no way in hell Activision is a bigger and more important player in the game industry than Sony. They make far less revenue and profit. They are not a platform. There is no way the Playstation Brand sells for less than Activision.

This whole thing is hilarious. A week ago Activision were considered a black sheep embarrassment on this board. Now today some people think they are the biggest force in the industry. What in the ever loving heck is going on in some people's minds. I mean, I know what it is, but how can so much cognitive dissonance be happening?
I'm talking about what made the industry what it is.games and cod is the most important (lucrative) game in the world. Hardware and platforms without those important games fail no matter who you are . ...look at what was happening at the start of the Xbox one gen.
About the value of the division sure that on a selling the division would take more but also you will understand alone that the division of a 140b company can't be valued higher than the entire company right ? ahahah

Last edited:

ManaByte

They will, Microsoft are no longer in competition with Sony, they want PlayStation fans money as much if not more than pc and xbox console owners.

MS should really just publish all there stuff on PlayStation, charge full price and just make it known they want gamepass on PlayStation to be a thing. The fanbase will soon tell Sony they want it.

By this logic why doesn't Sony publish God of War, Horizon, and GT7 on the Xbox? I'm sure they want Xbox fans' money as much if not more than PC and PS5 owners. They don't because you don't publish your biggest games on your competitor's consoles. That's why Bethesda and Activision games are going to be exclusive.

yurinka

Zv0DWQn.jpg

You know its the same franchise, right?
Yes, I also know he never said that they will only keep Warzone there or that future CoD won't be released on PS. I know he said he wants to keep on PS CoD, which is a franchise and includes more games.

They also said on each acquisition that would continue supporting the communities of the franchises from Mojang, Zenimax and AB on the other consoles. And also said for each acquisition that it wasn't about removing games from the other platforms. And until now all the Mojang, Zenimax and AB IPs that were on PS before acquisition got all their games, dlc and updates on PS too.

And also said they would focus on 'first on' or 'best on' Xbox. And that for Zenimax they would decide exclusivities on a case by case scenario. And didn't announce Starfield or Redfall, which maybe means they'll focus their post acquisition new ips on being (timed or total) console exclusive and their pre-acquisition IPs on being multi. In a way that they get Xbox console exclusives so Xbox fans get happy while IPs that already were on PS continue on PS so PS fans get happy.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People who say they will come to PlayStation if they allow game pass, I really doubt it.

Theres so many things that hinders it.

First, Sony are in the talks of making their own game pass equlivant. If that's true, they won't allow game pass. Sony has EA Play, but hasn't allowed game pass. Why's that?

My guess is money. You can buy games within game pass which gives you a discount. Who should get those money? Would Microsoft eat up additional money for that?

What if you buy a game through game pass, then you need the game pass client to download the game you purchased?

What about DLC? Would DLC from ps store work with a game from game pass?

Game pass is not just a subscription, it's also a store. Of course it could be released without the store part.

I know Spencer has teased Sony about game pass before, but that was before the Bethesda deal and now this.

The scenario has changed since back then. Microsoft came from being the "company that only makes Halo, Gears and Forza" to they own Call of Duty, Overwatch, Diablo, WoW and so on.

At this point, why would they care about future games on playstation?

Everyone's acting like Microsoft don't want exclusives, they will still come to PlayStation because they need their money back.

Why are Halo Infinite, Forza etc not on playstation? True, it has never been on playstation before, but why not add it now? Halo Master Chief collection was a great way to introduce PlayStation players to Halo.

So why aren't we seeing those games on playstation now?

Spencer wants them to be exclusives and he doesn't want to fuel fire into the communities just yet.

It's been what, 2 years since they bought Bethesda, and yet I still see people in denial in here thinking future Bethesda games will come to PlayStation.

"if you want to play call of duty, play on pc or buy an Xbox" sounds like a more logical point of view than saying "Hey, we release call of duty, you can play it on our platform, but hey if you want to play it anywhere else that's fine. Our platform is just a third party box" to their investors.

It would plummet Xbox shares.

All these threads because of Call of Duty, a game that is commonly considered ass on this very forum

An ass game that's the second most sold game on playstation in 2021, whereas the closest PlayStation exclusive spider man is ranked 5.

We are an echo chamber of dedicated gamers, where as Jacob gets fifa and Call of Duty from his soccer mom annualy are the most common gamer.

Top Bottom