• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 44, 2015

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
To be honest, I wouldn't exclude we get an update about One's hardware sales later this week; IIRC, that's what happened when PS4 hit two millions.

Kyonashi

As a relatively dude bro gamer, Halo seems like a franchise from another time. There is obviously a dedicated base that they have, but it's time as a mainline FPS seems way over. I can't say I expected it to do this badly, but I'm not surprised either. I haven't had the desire to play a Halo game in an age. No matter how badly Call of Duty craps itself, I'm still tempted by every entry and I know a lot of people socially that are too.

Worth quoting this from last week's thread, on the discussion of the FPS genre.

If we consider CoD to be holding on to the crown, but fatigue to set in eventually (look at Assassin's Creed), and Halo to be slipping, where do you guys see the positions of other FPS franchises?

I'm talking Battlefield/Battlefront, Fallout (not multiplayer but a big release), Destiny, Titanfall and the DOOM reboot (DOOM particularly interests me because I've been thinking a lot about where a game like that fits in with the current state of consumers, is it a fresh breath or have we moved past that type of game?).

Alo0oy

Banned
Worth quoting this from last week's thread, on the discussion of the FPS genre.

If we consider CoD to be holding on to the crown, but fatigue to set in eventually (look at Assassin's Creed), and Halo to be slipping, where do you guys see the positions of other FPS franchises?

I'm talking Battlefield/Battlefront, Fallout (not multiplayer but a big release), Destiny, Titanfall and the DOOM reboot (DOOM particularly interests me because I've been thinking a lot about where a game like that fits in with the current state of consumers, is it a fresh breath or have we moved past that type of game?).

CoD will sell better than the last two entries IMO. Battlefront will probably do better than Hardline but slightly worse than BF4.

I don't consider DOOM a dudebro shooter, whether that helps it or not is up for debate though.

Kyonashi

I don't consider DOOM a dudebro shooter, whether that helps it or not is up for debate though.

Do you not think that's what Bethesda want for it though? It's not exactly being positioned as a niche title, I imagine they want people playing it in say, university dorms and to capture that young male audience. I think it has the possibility of being a dudebro with the whole focus on violence, gameplay and fun rather than any kind of story or whatever.

Another point is Halo 5 retail is only ~£35. I would say it's been consistently offered lower than any other big game at launch. While the next gen tax has mostly gone, Halo 5 is very cheap as a new game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
CoD will sell better than the last two entries IMO. Battlefront will probably do better than Hardline but slightly worse than BF4.

Now that I think about it, do we have any idea how Call of Duty: Black Ops III preorders are doing compared to the last entries?

DOOM is a weird one to be sure. It's been so long since the last DOOM, and even longer since the series was at its peak. I don't think it can just be DOOM, but it also can't be a modern shooter in a DOOM wrapper.

Hasney

Huh, so how did Halo 5 impact the hardware sales ?

We don't know. MS doesn't talk consoles anymore.

Assuming bundles that went out a week early were included, not very much. Think the PS4 price cut may have overshadowed it seeing how well Watch Dogs is doing.

Chobel

Hey Kyonashi. If it's possible, can you tell us whether Halo 5 sales include the sales from Halo 5 LE bundle which was released the week before?

Bloody hell. I was expecting Halo 5 to be slightly lower sales wise than 3 due to 4 and MCC's problems, but not less than half.

I was honestly expecting it to blow the barn doors off and carry the XO through the entire Christmas period into next year. I mean it's Halo! Halo is the Xbox brand, the flagship title that sets it apart from Playstation and the number one reason to own MS's consoles.

Selling this (relatively) badly is just madness to me.

darkwing

Bloody hell. I was expecting Halo 5 to be slightly lower sales wise than 3 due to 4 and MCC's problems, but not less than half.

I was honestly expecting it to blow the barn doors off and carry the XO through the entire Christmas period into next year. I mean it's Halo! Halo is the Xbox brand, the flagship title that sets it apart from Playstation and the number one reason to own MS's consoles.

Selling this (relatively) badly is just madness to me.

unlike Mario for example on Nintendo, Halo has plenty of competition like Destiny and COD

kpaadet

Maybe its time to start releasing Halo games in the off season, CoD (and now also Battlefront) have been eating its sales for a long time now. And Titanfall showed that there is a market for a well advertised FPS.

EGM1966

Maybe its time to start releasing Halo games in the off season, CoD (and now also Battlefront) have been eating its sales for a long time now. And Titanfall showed that there is a market for a well advertised FPS.
That would make sense I think. Not to go off topic but I think for similar reasons Tomb Raider is really going to regret launching next to Fallout and very close to CoD and Battlefront.

That would make sense I think. Not to go off topic but I think for similar reasons Tomb Raider is really going to regret launching next to Fallout and very close to CoD and Battlefront.

Oh boy. Having seen the numbers for Halo 5... it seems almost certain that TR will get slaughtered.

Wolfenstein: TNO did pretty well, right?

That's actually a great reference point. Wolfenstein TNO had a stellar single player campaign which is rare for FPS games and helped sell the game well enough.

In the case of Doom I think it's got to nail it's single player out the park to have a wider appeal. The MP looks a little bit too old school gameplay wise but that might click in a major way with the more mainstream audience perhaps..

Kyonashi

That's actually a great reference point. Wolfenstein TNO had a stellar single player campaign which is rare for FPS games and helped sell the game well enough.

In the case of Doom I think it's got to nail it's single player out the park to have a wider appeal. The MP looks a little bit too old school gameplay wise but that might click in a major way with the more mainstream audience perhaps..

I dunno, I mean they're both relaunches of legacy titles, but whereas TNO focused on single-player, I get the feeling with DOOM the focus is on the arena-style multiplayer and SnapMap particularly. I really can't see DOOM having some well written campaign?

Bruno MB

Other new releases that didn't chart in the individual formats top 40:

Code:
TOP 20 SONY PLAYSTATION 4, WEEK ENDING 31 October 2015

20 (NE) DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN: ENHANCED EDITION (KOCH MEDIA)
XX (NE) SHOVEL KNIGHT (YACHT CLUB GAMES)
XX (NE) DARKSIDERS 2: DEATHINITIVE EDITION (NORDIC GAMES)

Code:
TOP 20 XBOX ONE, WEEK ENDING 31 October 2015

XX (NE) DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN: ENHANCED EDITION (KOCH MEDIA)
XX (NE) DARKSIDERS 2: DEATHINITIVE EDITION (NORDIC GAMES)

Code:
TOP 20 NINTENDO Wii U, WEEK ENDING 31 October 2015

07 (NE) SHOVEL KNIGHT (YACHT CLUB GAMES)
XX (NE) PROJECT ZERO: MAIDEN OF BLACK WATER (NINTENDO)

Code:
TOP 50 NINTENDO 3DS (FULL PRICE), WEEK ENDING 31 October 2015

15 (NE) DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 RECORD BREAKER (NIS AMERICA)
17 (NE) SHOVEL KNIGHT (YACHT CLUB GAMES)

MINECRAFT: STORY MODE (TELLTALE GAMES)

Xbox 360 - 46%
Xbox One - 22%
PlayStation 4 - 17%
PlayStation 3 - 15%

Kyonashi

I mean these low sales for Halo and Assassin's Creed beg the question: What are people saving their money for?

The three possibilities seem to be Blops 3, Fallout 4, and Battlefront. I'm really not sure how to estimate ranking for these three on sales basis. What do you guys think?

Hasney

I mean these low sales for Halo and Assassin's Creed beg the question: What are people saving their money for?

The three possibilities seem to be Blops 3, Fallout 4, and Battlefront. I'm really not sure how to estimate ranking for these three on sales basis. What do you guys think?

They might not be saving, just not interested.

I'd probably go Blops, Fallout and Battlefront but the last two are totally interchangeable. Fallout is getting a big push though so it could pull the upset, but I'm not holding my breath,

I dunno, I mean they're both relaunches of legacy titles, but whereas TNO focused on single-player, I get the feeling with DOOM the focus is on the arena-style multiplayer and SnapMap particularly. I really can't see DOOM having some well written campaign?

Yes I can't see Doom having a particularly well written campaign either. Maybe the balls-to-the wall craziness might carry it through and making it a bit more unique in the shooter space.

I hope they nail the MP, that's what seems interesting to me so far as a guy who hasn't played Doom in god knows how many years.

Blops, BF and F4. In that order for me. I think Blops is just simply a massive franchise. F4 will be big no doubt, but I think the hype for Force Awakens will ensure that BF is closer to sales with Blops then F4.

bombshell

Blops 3 > Battlefront > Fallout 4 is my guess.

darkwing

2 of those games are FPSs, like Halo, then you have Destiny

Hasney

Blops, BF and F4. In that order for me. I think Blops is just simply a massive franchise. F4 will be big no doubt, but I think the hype for Force Awakens will ensure that BF is closer to sales with Blops then F4.

Blops 3 > Battlefront > Fallout 4 is my guess.

I'll probably agree with you both now. Thought the movie Star Wars was next year for some reason so yeah, will steer those numbers up.

Kyonashi

2 of those games are FPSs, like Halo, then you have Destiny

I know but I'm thinking in terms of your average joe consumer. What they see is:

Black Ops 3 ("Hey, everyone loves CoD and Black Ops is great!")
Fallout ("Seems like everyone's talking about this Fallout game, and it's post-apocalypse Skyrim? Cool!")
Battlefield: Star Wars ("Oh man they've made Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, I'm so hyped for the new movie I'm gonna play the shit outta this.")

They may not be the same exact genres of game, but I think the power of people who buy one or two games a year cannot be underestimated, and there's every possibility the reasons numbers for AC and Halo are low is because people are more interested in these games.
Personally I'd like to see Fallout surprise everyone and outsellf CoD and BF.

Can you tell who lead this week sales in hardware? XBO or PS4?

I don't have hardware numbers.

Does that mean Project Zero didn't even make the top 20 on Wii U? I suppose it only had a couple days on sale but crikey. Minecraft splits are super interesting thanks for sharing!

I don't have hardware numbers.

I thought you said it was 4m vs 5m?
I'm just playing witcha :p

Fallout should be big. Lots of talk about that. I think CoD will be around last year, still big but franchise fatigue setting in still, no real sales improvement, especially with Battlefront coming and people might want a bit of a change. TR isn't really going to do much in the face of all those games. It'll still do respectable numbers week 1 but unless it's bundled to hell and back, I can't see it sticking around long.

Kyonashi

I prefer lovable fool ;)

tumblr_myyyo9mBan1s5zciuo1_500.gif

Well.

Hasney

Fallout should be big. Lots of talk about that. I think CoD will be around last year, still big but franchise fatigue setting in still, no real sales improvement, especially with Battlefront coming and people might want a bit of a change. TR isn't really going to do much in the face of all those games. It'll still do respectable numbers week 1 but unless it's bundled to hell and back, I can't see it sticking around long.

If Fallout 4 does very big number,s I wonder if it'll change the announcement to release schedule for anyone. A lot of publishers right now seem to think it's best for over a year of announcement to release, but I've loved this Fallout cycle.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
...That's... i mean... holy shit... This is the bigger disappoint launch of the year so far. D:

...Never expect that. Those sales are really low.

Chris1

Really bad numbers for Halo, apparently Titanfall did 125k so only 25k more than that 1.5 years later for Microsoft's main franchise is worrying. I hope this is just people holding off because of MCC and will pick it up later.

Really bad numbers for Halo, apparently Titanfall did 125k so only 25k more than that 1.5 years later for Microsoft's main franchise is worrying. I hope this is just people holding off because of MCC and will pick it up later.

More like people holding off for BF and CoD. Halo just doesn't command the attention it once did, and the one two punch of Halo 4 and the MCC didn't help either.

I predicted 275k... ouch.

Well, at this point PS4 should win October NPD.

Yep, this is my biggest take away too. Even more so then the sales themselves, it seems that the game just didn't move a lot of consoles.

Unless NA and UK differ wildly for this game of course.

Top Bottom