• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Pokémon fans accuse the game of ripping off Pokémon

Robb

Gold Member
Have you guys seen this btw?
UGb5Sc2.jpeg

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshocking!
Ekans found the keyboard.

magnumpy

hopefully Game Freak views this as a legitimate challenge to their multi billion dollar cash cow and snaps back with an improved game as competition is supposed to work right? that would be really cool 😎

Yeah they’re borrowing design aspects, but it’s hard for me to care when Pokémon already has such a simplistic art design; how could you not run out of ideas for designs when you’re working in an art style that’s so limited in detail to begin with?

well nintendo left so much potential on the table with the franchise, it's ok if someone has another shot at it
Pokemon still selling 20+ million with each game. Nintendo knows their target audience pretty well... Even Pokemon Go still printing money. Some companies just take the easy path, and thats not bad. Their just want to make money.

DJ12

Wow. Can only imagine Nintendo are just waiting for them to make some money before taking it all from them.

MaskedSwan

Neo Member
I think it's safe to say that the CEO of Pocketpair is a total POS, loves NFT and Crypto and pushes his company to use AI as much as they can. If there is generative AI in Palworld, I assume this will get them in hot water since Steam recent policy update.

Sojiro

Lol Pokemon fans are pissed. The game doesn't look worth a shit though so who cares? Much better off playing TemTem, which actually looks solid.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Squarely in the realm of parody. This is like the 400th game to cop a pokemon vibe for effect, you'd think we'd be past this.

I think it's safe to say that the CEO of Pocketpair is a total POS, loves NFT and Crypto and pushes his company to use AI as much as they can. If there is generative AI in Palworld, I assume this will get them in hot water since Steam recent policy update.

I could give less of a shit about AI in video games. If a small developer can save X amount of money using AI art to better utilize other resources then I'm all for it. It's hilarious how Palworld is better than any Pokémon games in years with 10% of the resources

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I hope they are also learning that nobody cares

One can hope. I'm currently enjoying Palworld more than I have any pokemon game since yellow. If Nintendo/GameFreak want to modernize Pokemon instead of milking the 90s version of the game for decades, more power to 'em, but until then it's their fault for letting upstarts make better versions than them.

Power Pro

I do gotta say, the more I look at it, this feels like a more blatant rip off of pokemon in terms of designs. At least in some of the smaller scale ones I've seen like Nexomon, the designs looked unique. This one looks like they just took existing pokemon and mixed up features, which shouldn't be allowed.

Jinzo Prime

Personally, I think we need more monter collecter games, but the designs are just to close to Pokemon. Nintendo is going to sue, it's just a matter of time.

KXVXII9X

Mewtwo

Freiza

:coffee:

I mostly jest, but I do think the designs are obviously pulled from multiple media and not just Pokémon. One of literally Elektabuzz and Totoro lol.

My worry with the game is how well supported it is going forward and if it is shamelessly using the likeness of well known IP's to gain sudden buzz and drop off. Parts of the game are still heavily unpolished and aside from some neat ideas, it definitely doesn't feel like a complete game. I'm playing on PC GamePass which is said to be different from the other versions.

Dr_Salt

So studios like blizzard can ripoff Warhammer40k, TF2 and call it "inspiration" but when other people do it then it is plagiarism lol.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't be dense folks, I'm not a fan, never completed a game in the series, but it's pretty obvious the style is ripping off Pokemon but not much else of the gameplay is so that's fine tbh. But let's not pretend it doesn't try to do that with the pals. On the other hand, it's not like any of the actual Pokemon-likes could device something so unique, they're all based on real/fantasy animals and there are gazillions by now, all that differentiates others is some more unique general art style or if they're like, totally mechanised or digital or some other major style difference (and that probably still includes some look alikes). But again the game's not really like Pokemon at all and you could replace the palmons with, Idk, gacha waifus and husbandos and it'd be the same (if not even weirder with all the eventual factory line stuff and having them all slaving away beyond the basic survival and action). This one instead has a very similar style as Pokemons are quite sterile CG-like in most 3D games. It's not like they can stop people from having any kind of pet system in games because they happened to make one of the oldest/most popular around it and keep expanding it since, lol.

If AI was used it was probably just in the overall concept phase and then they refined the art, made the 3D models etc., so it's not like it can be accused easily like a game that only has simple 2D art and all of it generated with small edits, there's real work included here. But I guess if Nintendo can prove the AI was trained on Pokemons or that they even specifically asked it to cook up Pokemon-like stuff then they may have a real case. However I don't think they'd have to use AI to devise these designs so hopefully they went legit about it in that humans were doing the ripping off, lol.

Love to see Steam generate more indie hits.
So studios like blizzard can ripoff Warhammer40k, TF2 and call it "inspiration" but when other people do it then it is plagiarism lol.
I mean, you just said Blizzard ripped WH/40K off, and TF2 so clearly you can say that without being accused of being a fanboy, same deal here, it's clearly ripping off Pokemon, but will get away with it just like Blizzard, and that's fine, folks can point it out rather than pretend it's an 100% original, lol.

DeltaPolarBear said:
It isn't a ripoff because it is explicitly legal. It is only a ripoff if it is pretending to be part of the Pokemon franchise. The laws are clear. I mean should ID have made it illegal for anyone else to make first person shooters? You can't own a genre.
Wtf? Nobody said you can own a genre, most of my post you cut off there is saying that and this isn't even the same genre as Pokemon (though I guess Pokemons aren't even a genre, we're talking designs here, not gameplay after all, and they're in anime and the main JRPG games and all kinds of spin offs so independent of any game genre even if the most popular is the main series, which isn't at all like Palworld), lol? Why selectively misquote folks pretending they said things they didn't, what's wrong with you? Yeah just go tl;dr now, well, you still replied all wrong so, just don't, instead.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Warcraft was so long ago. Some early online forums were trashing it for ripping off Warhammer, but we're coming up on the 30th anniversary this year for Orcs and Humans. Nobody cares at this point.

Overwatch was a rip of the genre, but at least made semi-original characters.

Palworld on some of the Pals it's just a straight rip off Pokemon.

GEVMjpdWsAAjxOD

That said, I still don't care personally because Nintendo/GameFreak got lazy and has been rehashing the same game for 30 years with little innovation, so hoping things like this force them to make better games.

Sentenza

Bitching for plagiarism aside , I wonder if when Nintendo will take notice of this game there will be some mumbling inside the company "Look at how much money we are leaving on the table by choosing to not be there".

I mean, you just said Blizzard ripped WH/40K off, and TF2 so clearly you can say that without being accused of being a fanboy, same deal here, it's clearly ripping off Pokemon, but will get away with it just like Blizzard, and that's fine, folks can point it out rather than pretend it's an 100% original, lol.
It isn't a ripoff because it is explicitly legal. It is only a ripoff if it is pretending to be part of the Pokemon franchise. The laws are clear. I mean should ID have made it illegal for anyone else to make first person shooters? You can't own a genre.

Dr_Salt

Warcraft was so long ago. Some early online forums were trashing it for ripping off Warhammer, but we're coming up on the 30th anniversary this year for Orcs and Humans. Nobody cares at this point.

Overwatch was a rip of the genre, but at least made semi-original characters.

Palworld on some of the Pals it's just a straight rip off Pokemon.

That said, I still don't care personally because Nintendo/GameFreak got lazy and has been rehashing the same game for 30 years with little innovation, so hoping things like this force them to make better games.

Blizzard gets their free pass of plagiarism just stating it as "inspiration" because they are Blizzard.

Mortisfacio

Blizzard gets their free pass of plagiarism just stating it as "inspiration" because they are Blizzard.

While I agree with most of these comparisons, the soldier 76 ones shouldn't be included there. The rest pretty clearly imitate likeness, but Soldier 76 isn't even using the base character. It's two skins that still don't even look very comparable. Roadhog, Junkrat, Rein, etc. look similar at the core of the character regardless of a particular skin.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It's funny because of how obvious it is, but also because Pokemon has been dogshit for awhile now.

Same ol G

Last edited:
Top Bottom