• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Pokémon fans accuse the game of ripping off Pokémon

Draugoth

Gold Member
Palworld, aka ‘Pokémon with guns’, is out now and already shooting to the top of Steam’s most-played games list. It’s early days of course but already it seems safe to declare the game a hit. And it’s going down well with players, too. On Steam, Palworld has a ‘very positive’ user review rating.

But some Pokémon fans are less than impressed, and that’s because of the clear and obvious similarities between Palworld and Nintendo’s all-conquering, family friendly gotta catch ‘em all franchise. Are Palworld’s Pals too similar to Pokémon? Are we in “rip-off” territory here?

As Palworld trends across social media, one vociferous debate cutting through the din revolves around this very question. For some Pokémon fans, Palworld is a shameless clone, and they’re letting the internet know it.

Here’s a snippet of the reaction:

Source is IGN

CamHostage

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshocking!

Aion002

Obvious GIF

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Fans should be worried about the shit state of Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

The game is so fucking broken.
Last good Pokemon game was Gold and Silver.

Pokemon Legends was ok I guess.

Question is where were all these rabid Pokemon loyalists when Temtem came out? Or obscure stuff like Monster Sanctuary? Or champing at the bit on Dragon Quest Monsters? Or crying about Yokai Watch?

Can't say I'm too bothered about Survival Craft Pokemon with guns when nothing will ever top Shin Megami Tensei.

LakeOf9

Last good Pokemon game was Gold and Silver.

Pokemon Legends was ok I guess.

Question is where were all these rabid Pokemon loyalists when Temtem came out? Or obscure stuff like Monster Sanctuary? Or champing at the bit on Dragon Quest Monsters? Or crying about Yokai Watch?

Can't say I'm too bothered about Survival Craft Pokemon with guns when nothing will ever top Shin Megami Tensei.
I've only played Legends, but I really liked it, it was a great game. The other Switch ones look thoroughly unappealing though

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Pokemon fanboys are complete morons. No wonder we can't get any genuinely good Pokemon games anymore when they just buy any turd. Now they're crying over absolutely nothing. Jesus fuck, the Pokemon fanbase is more cancer than Undertales.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I've only played Legends, but I really liked it, it was a great game. The other Switch ones look thoroughly unappealing though
Never played it but it's legit good. Stopped playing Pokemon since Sword/Shield. Cutting out my Nidoking is a big no no.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
It doesn't suck...it's just not living up to it's potential. For all it's faults, there are aspects I really like about Scarlet/Violet.
That’s a valid argument! But to me a game that crashed so hard from what it was to what it is, makes it hard to respect it at all. I really see it the same way as Battlefield.

Three

Not sure where the thread title comes from, it's not the title of the IGN article. they didn't accuse it of ripping it off. They, like everybody else, know it rips it off and they're showing how and which pokemons they've ripped.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Isn’t kind of the point? It meme game about Pokémon “like” using guns.

It doesn’t make any difference to me, the reason I chose Shin Megami Tensei over Pokémon because always like Demon designs waaaay more than Pokémon designs.

In fact I recently replayed GrimGrimore and I fucking LOOOVED monster designs sooo much…so much so I’m hoping Atlus bring Vanillaware to designs some Demons for them for next SMT game.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Pokemon fanboys rather prefer complain about everything their tiny brains think its a clone than complain about their own broken outdated Pokemon game.

Btw if anyone wonders, the game still have stutters, a few softlocks on raids and a new broken clone glitch.

Last edited:

CamHostage

It's obvious that they are using Pokemon more than just as inspiration. But some of these comparisons are just stupid.

2zP8GHn.png

Why is this stupid? Some design elements are commonplace and would appear on many types of cartoon creature design (especially when themed for certain biomes,) but the similarities here are far beyond coincidental or commonplace. The lines and accents are too often replicated to just be coincidence. There are artists who do work that is derivative and generic, and then there are straight-out tracers.

It's almost as if they kitbashed Pokémon models, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It would make sense that these are modified Asset Marketplace or model rips they got online and then tweaked and pulled shapes from to make their own models.

They're not at all even hiding it. Supposedly, the choice to not be unique is even an intentional cloning of Pokemon, as the game has some kind of parody concept to it (though I'm not sure Parody Law really would be solid legality here?)

Last edited:

Dutchy

What are the chances that the developpers used AI to easily mass-generate different kind of interpretations from already existing designs?

DonJimbo

At first i thought its Pokemon and they changed the Name because of the Brand belonging to Nintendo so it can be playable on non Nintendo Sytems

Robb

Gold Member
If there’s a possibility to sue someone you can bet Nintendo is already in the process of filing the paperwork.
63c4bed87a93a085c32de2ac_66wyd6.gif

Maybe if the state of Pokemon wasn't so shit, a game like Pokemon Gun Palworld wouldn't be possible.

That said, the average Pokemon game sells 20+ million copies a release, so Pokemon Gun Palworld has a ways to go before it will get Nintendo's attention.

Top Bottom