• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC or Xbox - Where will you play Starfield?

Where will you play Starfield?

• Total voters

twilo99

Looks like Starfield being Play Anywhere is now possibly back on the cards!
It's been updated in the MS store in the last few days with the Play Anywhere tag. Hoping this means cross platform progression so I can jump between PC and Xbox.

y7BABf7.png

this is a mustā€¦

Consoles ain't immune from games with launch issues my man. Redfall had problems just about everywhere.
Redfall was a shit game
But almost every other pc game is plagued with problems.
Tlou, dead space , calisto , jedi all had horrible stuttering and problems on pc just to name a few games in the last 1 year alone.
+ The driver issues , the inconvenience that comes with pc gaming and windows it's just not worth it in my opinion .
I'm an old man I don't want to deal with all that bs

Schmick

Interesting to see a few people say that they will switch between console and PC. I wonder how this will work with playing a modded version on PC.

Is Starfield crossplay between Steam and Xbox?

Topher

Gold Member
Redfall was a shit game
But almost every other pc game is plagued with problems.
Tlou, dead space , calisto , jedi all had horrible stuttering and problems on pc just to name a few games in the last 1 year alone.
+ The driver issues , the inconvenience that comes with pc gaming and windows it's just not worth it in my opinion .
I'm an old man I don't want to deal with all that bs

Again, what is with this notion that this is isolated to PC? We've had DF review of game after game where we don't find what is the best console version of a game, just which is the least shitty. That seems to be more of an issue the further we get into this generation as both pixel counts and frame rates are on a steady decline. I just finished Jedi Survivor on console and it felt like I was back playing on PS4.

But I have to say, I still don't understand how console gamers are somehow experts on problems with PC gaming. I had more problems with Quick Resume working properly than I ever had with gaming on my PC. Not to mention the slow, cluttered user interfaces of consoles. At least Windows is responsive and doesn't fill my screen with a lot of crap I don't care about. So yeah, plenty of BS to deal with on the console side of things.

StereoVsn

Interesting to see a few people say that they will switch between console and PC. I wonder how this will work with playing a modded version on PC.

Actually, that's a good point. Modded saves could have issues going back to Xbox.

Bethesda does have modding for Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Xbox (and PS to lesser extent) and Starfield will likely have that as well. That said, script extender mods don't work on consoles for obvious reasons.

Also Windows Store versions have additional limitations as well.

Topher

Gold Member

You mean crossbuy? No, Steam version doesn't get you Windows/Xbox version, and vice versa.

Personally I'm going with Steam version for better mod support.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean cross play or cross save.

Crossplay refers to multiplayer games where people can play with those on other platforms. Doesn't apply to Starfield since it is single player. I don't think Steam saves will work in the Windows store version of games, or vice versa.

Schmick

Crossplay refers to multiplayer games where people can play with those on other platforms. Doesn't apply to Starfield since it is single player. I don't think Steam saves will work in the Windows store version of games, or vice versa.
I always thought that was Cross-Platform.

Anyway, so there's two options for gamers purchasing the game.

Steam Version - has all the mods but only PC version and no compatibility with any other version so if you want to play on console you'll need to buy it again.
Xbox Store - will probably have limited mods if any, but will have Play Anywhere. Saves will be cloud stored so progress can be picked up where ever you play within the Xbox eco-system.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I always thought that was Cross-Platform.

Anyway, so there's two options for gamers purchasing the game.

Steam Version - has all the mods but only PC version and no compatibility with any other version so if you want to play on console you'll need to buy it again.
Xbox Store - will probably have limited mods if any, but will have Play Anywhere. Saves will be cloud stored so progress can be picked up where ever you play within the Xbox eco-system.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Again, what is with this notion that this is isolated to PC? We've had DF review of game after game where we don't find what is the best console version of a game, just which is the least shitty. That seems to be more of an issue the further we get into this generation as both pixel counts and frame rates are on a steady decline. I just finished Jedi Survivor on console and it felt like I was back playing on PS4.

But I have to say, I still don't understand how console gamers are somehow experts on problems with PC gaming. I had more problems with Quick Resume working properly than I ever had with gaming on my PC. Not to mention the slow, cluttered user interfaces of consoles. At least Windows is responsive and doesn't fill my screen with a lot of crap I don't care about. So yeah, plenty of BS to deal with on the console side of things.
Mate not going to argue with u , I will never trade consoles comfort for pc.
Everything about pc screams inconvenience for me
For someone who works onor have a pc maybe it's not for u guys.

Topher

Gold Member
Mate not going to argue with u , I will never trade consoles comfort for pc.
Everything about pc screams inconvenience for me
For someone who works onor have a pc maybe it's not for u guys.

That's all fine my man, but you gotta expect some pushback when you jump a thread like this and say "fuck pc". Same if I came in and said "fuck consoles".

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Top Bottom