• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC or Xbox - Where will you play Starfield?

Where will you play Starfield?

• Total voters

Krathoon

PC for sure, imagine playing Bethesda games on console, you miss out on the extremely handy console command system, its an entire thing of its own, lol.
And ofcourse the many mods, community fixes, the tweaks, like for me its the optimal choice.
But i heard the game is well optimized for console this time, unlike previous Bethesda games.
Yeah. Bethesda games are meant for PC.

Pimpbaa

The only PC I have is a 5 year old dual core kaby lake laptop (I do most of my non gaming tasks on my ipad pro with keyboard). I will definitely be playing this on my series x. 30fps is disappointing, but as long as they get the motion blur right then it shouldn’t be too bad. Hoping they put in a 40fps option at a later date or an unlocked frame rate using VRR

Fredrik

So now that I have a decent PC along with my PS5, can I just buy gamepass on PC for one month to play this game? Sounds dumb on Microsofts part if true.
Short:
Yes you can! 👍

Longer:
Yes and I’m thinking that’s kinda how they want people to do - Because if you like the game you’ll likely want to keep playing it after a month… and you’ll likely talk about how cheap it was, which is PR for the service to pull others in… and you might’ve seen other games on Gamepass that interest you too, so then you might keep the subscription for a longer time… and others who listened to your earlier talk might do the same, then they talk too, and pull others in…
And off we go - snow ball effect!

Bonus, if you like the game and want the best mods you’ll likely want to play on Steam eventually since going by past experiences the Microsoft Store version won’t let you fiddle with files as much. So then they likely get a purchase too besides the subscription money and Gamepass PR and snowball effect trigger.

I’m going with the Steam version at once. I know I’ll keep playing the game but I don’t know if I’ll keep a Gamepass sub once I have to pay regular price. And I know I want unrestricted file access for modding.

I’ll probably try it on Xbox through Gamepass though, I want to see how bad 30fps actually is. And that’s a win for MS too since I’ll suddenly be in the player count PR even if I just played for 5 minutes and went - Bleh!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Looking at my Fallout 4, i'd say PC.

TUQWF4a.jpg

mrmustard

Banned
So now that I have a decent PC along with my PS5, can I just buy gamepass on PC for one month to play this game? Sounds dumb on Microsofts part if true.
Yes. But it's the same strategy as maze-like shops. When you sub for a month you will probably also look what else they got and perhaps stay longer subbed. I just don't understand why they have no discounted 3/6/12 month offers and if you ask me, i wouldn't do day1 Game Pass releases. I would go for 1-3 months after the release.

Fredrik

Too bad the poll doesn't ask for PC version: Steam or MS Store Windows.
I thought about spltting up the PC stores but thought it was more interesting to easy see the console PC split. Original plan was just PC and Xbox but Both were added later.

Maybe a PC focused poll showing the Steam, MS Store, Gamepass split could be an idea for another thread though?

Codeblew

Short:
Yes you can! 👍

Longer:
Yes and I’m thinking that’s kinda how they want people to do - Because if you like the game you’ll likely want to keep playing it after a month… and you’ll likely talk about how cheap it was, which is PR for the service to pull others in… and you might’ve seen other games on Gamepass that interest you too, so then you might keep the subscription for a longer time… and others who listened to your earlier talk might do the same, then they talk too, and pull others in…
And off we go - snow ball effect!

Bonus, if you like the game and want the best mods you’ll likely want to play on Steam eventually since going by past experiences the Microsoft Store version won’t let you fiddle with files as much. So then they likely get a purchase too besides the subscription money and Gamepass PR and snowball effect trigger.

I’m going with the Steam version at once. I know I’ll keep playing the game but I don’t know if I’ll keep a Gamepass sub once I have to pay regular price. And I know I want unrestricted file access for modding.

I’ll probably try it on Xbox through Gamepass though, I want to see how bad 30fps actually is. And that’s a win for MS too since I’ll suddenly be in the player count PR even if I just played for 5 minutes and went - Bleh!
I am probably not the ideal consumer that Microsoft is hoping for. Outside of a few games, I get over them within a month or less. I am also not the type of person to just keep a subscription that I am not using. But I may do a `1 month and done` to save me +$50.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I am probably not the ideal consumer that Microsoft is hoping for. Outside of a few games, I get over them within a month or less. I am also not the type of person to just keep a subscription that I am not using. But I may do a 1 month and done to save me +$50.
They know they can’t win over everyone, but as with me who just get Gamepass through cheap deals they still kinda win, since talking about how cheap it was is also PR for the service.

I’m not sure they even lose if we get Gamepass for free, play a game, unsubscribe, never mention that we played it or how we got access to it. Because we’ll still be in that ”10 million people have now played Starfield!” PR.

It is what it is. Just enjoy cheap gaming while it’s there, let the suits figure out if it’s a good idea or not.

Fredrik

A quick thought now that the poll has slowed down and the results are in. ~ PC 70%, Xbox 30%

- When will they show the PC version???

If PC will end up being their biggest platform then they better stop focusing so much on the Xbox version. Only official talk about the PC version comes from the AMD exclusivity partner video. And in an interview they said the modding tools will be for PC. Everything else is just Xbox Xbox Xbox.

Thanks to MS, gamers have options.

So i will play it on Gamepass PC and Xbox and switch back and forth progression wlll carry over as it supports playanywhere.
Yes thanks MS for inventing and only company that implements cross save progression. Praise be to Phil.

You so realise many games do this that are multiplatform? And if starfield wasn't exclusive it would still be the same.
I hoped it was satire but it's not, you understand why you get called a shill.

Yes thanks MS for inventing and only company that implements cross save progression. Praise be to Phil.

You so realise many games do this that are multiplatform? And if starfield wasn't exclusive it would still be the same.
Why you derailing thread? Did i say MS invented crosd progression or said anything about your beloved Sony?

Question was where you gonna play Starfield, i gave my personal reply where i will play Starfield. Why you getting worked up so much? I will play on pc and xbox using gamepass and playanywhere

Stop it, stick to topic

Last edited:
PC always, the wait for the CK to be released months later is going to be hard on me. Can't wait to see what kind of mods I can make.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Play Anywhere is not just cross save, it means you buy one copy of the game and your license is valid on both Xbox and PC, and your save carry over as well through the cloud. That’s not common for multiplats, you usually need to buy multiple copies of the game before you can use any cross platform save.

But as said many times there is no official info out that Starfield is a Play Anywhere title. Everybody is just expecting it to be but the store says nothing about that. There was speculation on Reddit that Play Anywhere wouldn’t work since mods could mess up the saves when there will be mods on PC that aren’t available on Xbox.

simpatico

For me it's Steam vs Gamepass on Day 1. If I get the right cues from the right reviewers, I'll go Steam. If reception is more tepid, I'll just resub to gamepass and see if it's for me.

Weird.

Wouldnt the vanilla game give you a good comparison point to eventual modded playthroughs?

The game should be great nonetheless. Its been in polish state for a year
The moment I stopped playing Oblivion for the PS3 was due to the awful loading times and that scamp staff bug that crashed the game. Sinking that many hours to a game only to have this game breaking bug really demotivates. You.

It was then I started to have a PC upgrade and all that talk about full HD/60fps did I manage to find myself installing Oblivion again with a faster loading time.

I also have come to discover mods that actually made the game look so much better than the vanilla that it made it that much more enjoyable.

From that day forward, every other Bethesda Game or Obsidian title was played with mods fresh off the bat. I can wait, and I don't intend to change now.

Alpha Male

Series X on a LG G2 plus surround sound .... I can't wait to play early access on September 1st!

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Sorry for going offtopic, but which other games are play anywhere which are multiplatform? I literally know of not a single one. So you buy version PS4 but can play on Xbox/PC/Switch.

tecmo9000

Mostly on my 4090 pc. But occasionally will play on Xbox in living room. The game should support cross saves on gamepass yea?
I imagine it would be similar to Cyberpunk and The Witcher 3. I have your setup with pc and xbox also looking to play on both.

tecmo9000

Sorry for going offtopic, but which other games are play anywhere which are multiplatform? I literally know of not a single one. So you buy version PS4 but can play on Xbox/PC/Switch.
Cyberpunk/Witcher 3, but you have to buy the different versions. You can play on PS4 and cross save to Xbox Series S

MMaRsu

Banned
Cyberpunk/Witcher 3, but you have to buy the different versions. You can play on PS4 and cross save to Xbox Series S
Thanks but yeah those seem like the only big games.

But cross save isnt what that poster was talking about, he was mostly talking about play anywhere.

Which is basically cross buy. Buy it on PC play on Xbox/PC. Afaik no other games do that (which are multiplat)

Gorgon

Xbox. I'm a mac person so PC is not an option.

I'm in the same situation, so XSX for me. But I'm thinking that when next-gen consoles hit the road I may drop Xbox and build a PC again just for gaming. Modding is too good to ignore and the only thing I really miss from my PC gaming days.

Roberts

I'm in the same situation, so XSX for me. But I'm thinking that when next-gen consoles hit the road I may drop Xbox and build a PC again just for gaming. Modding is too good to ignore and the only thing I really miss from my PC gaming days.
Don't tempt me, lol. I switched to Apple thirteen years ago because it was more convenient for my work, but not a week passes when I don't fantasise about building a beefy gaming pc. Maybe when I retire and my kids grow up!

MikeM

Don't tempt me, lol. I switched to Apple thirteen years ago because it was more convenient for my work, but not a week passes when I don't fantasise about building a beefy gaming pc. Maybe when I retire and my kids grow up!
Good thing is that you can get a decent rig for $1k nowadays.

Krathoon

Here is what will happen. There will be some kind of game stopping bug that will have some kind of quick fix on the PC and the consoles will be stuck with it.

Gorgon

Yeah, I stopped PC gaming during the PS4 gen until now. PS3 was the first time I had a console and PC at the same time. I moved to Macs for actual work etc around 2013.

Good thing is that you can get a decent rig for $1k nowadays.

Knowing myself I won't stop at $1K :messenger_grimmacing_

I have to find a solution that looks good on my living room without clutering it, though. We'll see, there's still time until "next-gen" and ES6 arrives. I suspect I won't feel the need for mods as acutely with Starfiled as I would with Fallout and especially ES.

Here is what will happen. There will be some kind of game stopping bug that will have some kind of quick fix on the PC and the consoles will be stuck with it.

My perception is that that kind of mod-fixes ends up on the Xbox and PS anyway. Both FO4 and Skyrim have the bug-fest fixing mods available. But I'm not sure how long it took. I've just recently replayed them after playing the originals back in the day, so how long it took for those mods to arrive on Xbox/PS I don't know. The Skyrim version has been available since 2016, it seems. And the FO4 since 2016 also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom