• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC or Xbox - Where will you play Starfield?

Where will you play Starfield?

• Total voters

Fredrik

OP gives me the "yet another paid xbox fan" feelz
Fredrik Fredrik ?

No GIF

Only using cheap tricks for Gamepass, never buying any games on their store, not playing Starfield on Xbox, still getting paid. Perfection! 👌😁

But nah I’m excited for Starfield for free. And I can’t wait to play this thing!

I wonder when they’ll show the PC version. I honestly don’t understand the Xbox focus. Hasn’t Bethesda’s games always been bigger on PC? Or is that only the mod scene?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Only using cheap tricks for Gamepass, never buying any games on their store, not playing Starfield on Xbox, still getting paid. Perfection! 👌😁

But nah I’m excited for Starfield for free. And I can’t wait to play this thing!

I wonder when they’ll show the PC version. I honestly don’t understand the Xbox focus. Hasn’t Bethesda’s games always been bigger on PC? Or is that only the mod scene?

Not sure. I'm really wanting to know more about the PC version and they have been a bit tight-lipped. Primarily I'd like to know about flight stick support. That seems like it should be automatic though.

Fredrik

Not sure. I'm really wanting to know more about the PC version and they have been a bit tight-lipped. Primarily I'd like to know about flight stick support. That seems like it should be automatic though.
I just find it odd, the hype on PC literally comes from users now, Bethesda has barely even talked about the PC version, strange focus considering how big the PC community is for their games and the modding community.
Flight stick support, who knows maybe, since it’s loading a separate level for flying it should be easier than on something like No Man’s Sky where everything is seamless. But my gut feeling is that modders is your best bet on this.

Topher

Gold Member
I just find it odd, the hype on PC literally comes from users now, Bethesda has barely even talked about the PC version, strange focus considering how big the PC community is for their games and the modding community.
Flight stick support, who knows maybe, since it’s loading a separate level for flying it should be easier than on something like No Man’s Sky where everything is seamless. But my gut feeling is that modders is your best bet on this.

If flight stick support isn't there natively then my purchase might just have to wait until it is implemented one way or another. That just seems incredibly short-sighted though. I play a lot of space games with ships and they all have flight stick support. Even a one man dev like the guy doing Space Bourne 2 implemented flighit stick support.

We are exactly two months from release today so hopefully answers to questions like these will be forthcoming soon.

Fredrik

If flight stick support isn't there natively then my purchase might just have to wait until it is implemented one way or another. That just seems incredibly short-sighted though. I play a lot of space games with ships and they all have flight stick support. Even a one man dev like the guy doing Space Bourne 2 implemented flighit stick support.

We are exactly two months from release today so hopefully answers to questions like these will be forthcoming soon.
Isn’t that used mostly for simulator games and games where flying is the main gameplay?
Going between on-foot planet exploration
and space flight would be a natural control swap, but would it work if you can instantly swap between on-foot and flight in space when you walk on the ship?

Topher

Gold Member
Isn’t that used mostly for simulator games and games where flying is the main gameplay?
Going between on-foot planet exploration
and space flight would be a natural control swap, but would it work if you can instantly swap between on-foot and flight in space when you walk on the ship?

Pretty much every game I've played that has some sort of flying has had flight stick support of some kind. I move from kb&m (on-foot) to flight sticks very easily with my setup.

L1kZNOY.jpg

Flying with these is so much better than a gamepad to me.

Fredrik

Pretty much every game I've played that has some sort of flying has had flight stick support of some kind. I move from kb&m (on-foot) to flight sticks very easily with my setup.

L1kZNOY.jpg

Okay that’s badass! 👌
Never tried a flight stick tbh, was close to buy one when I was playing MS Flight Sim the most, would’ve been awesome in VR after a learning period, but never jumped in.

amigastar

L1kZNOY.jpg

Why do you have two flight sticks at once? One is a Thrustmaster Warthog, right?

Topher

Gold Member
Why do you have two flight sticks at once? One is a Thrustmaster Warthog, right?

This is a HOSAS setup "Hands on Stick and Stick". I prefer this for space flight. The right stick is used for movement up and down and side to side. The left stick is primarily a throttle. This makes it easier to reverse thrust by pulling back on the stick.

In a game involving air flight, I would use a more traditional throttle since airplanes only move forward.

The right stick is a Winwing Orion 2. Similar to the Warthog, but better quality.

The left stick is a Logitech TCA Airbus. Cheaper option for a stick throttle.

Astray

Gold Member
For those who care about mech keys and are playing this on PC, I found out today about a snazzy looking set that's Starfield-themed:

(I have zero relationship, financial or otherwise with the project btw, just sharing something neat I found while bored at work)

RickMasters

xbox....its the one thats attached to the big screen in my living room. I want snacks, my feet up and my surround sound. Might mess with it on Pc from time to time to see how it plays at 60FPS but 98% of the time...xbox.

DaGwaphics

Xbox.

I'm always considering a PC upgrade but never get around to it because the console framerates don't really bother me. I just finished Miles Moralis on PS4 and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it was only 30fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
PC. 30 fps can go fuck itself.

Sadly, I’m not confident that even my 4090/7800X3D will maintain a stable frame rate given how bad many of the PC ports this year have been.

//DEVIL//

I already have a code from AMD ( well,, still waiting for it to be available ) because I bought a 7800x3d. So ill play it on PC. but I don't want to play it 30 fps anyway on xbox even if it was my only choice.

30 fps must die. period.

amigastar

My card is a 2060 which I got in 2020. Should I upgrade to a 3060Ti for this game? I'm only doing 1440 gaming.
I also have a 2060 but i'm plannig to upgrade to a 4070. But i think 3060Ti is also a good choice.
With an RTX 3060Ti you would get a 35-40%+ increased performance in 1440 resolution.

Last edited:
I also have a 2060 but i'm plannig to upgrade to a 4070. But i think 3060Ti is also a good choice.
With an RTX 3060Ti you would get a 35-40%+ increased performance in 1440 resolution.

So a 3060TI is going for $339 and a 4060TI is going for $399. With just a $60 difference should I just go for the 4060TI?

amigastar

So a 3060TI is going for $339 and a 4060TI is going for $399. With just a $60 difference should I just go for the 4060TI?
If you want my opinion i would go for the 4060Ti but thats only in my case. The good thing is DLSS 3 for RTX 4000 series.
But a 3060ti is only around 9% slower than the 4060Ti but i don't know if DLSS 3 was considered for these numbers.
Edit: in the end you have to decide for yourself :messenger_smiling:
BennyBlanco BennyBlanco Thats true, unfortunate there is no DLSS in Starfield.

Last edited:

twilo99

I’ll play it on both..

Couch would be series s if I’m in my desk I’ll use my PC.

There is no way thing thing doesn’t cross save or whatever they call it

salva

Looks like Starfield being Play Anywhere is now possibly back on the cards!
It's been updated in the MS store in the last few days with the Play Anywhere tag. Hoping this means cross platform progression so I can jump between PC and Xbox.

y7BABf7.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I will play on PC ,only thing that makes me consider console is HDR on an OLED TV.
Same. Windows sucks at HDR. I am completely confident I'll get better performance on PC but image quality may be better on Series X. I am curious to compare them, though.

Looks like Starfield being Play Anywhere is now possibly back on the cards!
It's been updated in the MS store in the last few days with the Play Anywhere tag. Hoping this means cross platform progression so I can jump between PC and Xbox.
I wasn't aware that was ever in question.

Last edited:

salva

Yeah it was confirmed by Bethesda twitter support few weeks ago, then tweet deleted, then store page removed it, then Xbox saves was mentioned but no Play Anywhere, then that was removed.... Now Play Anywhere is back... But still no official confirmation I believe.

brian0057

Banned
On a PC in 2025, when the [insert meaningless descriptor] Edition comes out with all the DLC and patches, and it's like $20 on sale.

Astray

Gold Member
If my wife decides to go for it (she got intrigued by the showcase), then probably on our Xbox, otherwise I might pick it up on PC on sale (and maybe by then some mods will have come out).

Bernoulli

M2 slut

L1kZNOY.jpg

Kinda Sad that we can't land the ship
Press X to land :messenger_sleeping:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

L1kZNOY.jpg

Nice setup, I like your keys! What are those?

Every game that switches from on-foot to driving I do a similar thing. Controller for driving, M+K for everything else.

Topher

Gold Member
Top Bottom