• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

Buggy Loop

Talking points from a bygone era that people who have never used a gaming PC think are still real things. I’m always on gamespy downloading patches! My jazz drive is full! I’m cleaning out my mouse ball constantly! ICQ notifications make my games crash! I ran out of installs because of Starforce!

Let's not even mention the usual cabling situation

743caf93674f2b69f7d7d3a619243eec.jpg

Makes it very hard to connect the PC to a TV

And the keyboards

kbd.png

Who can even play games with that!

Interface on consoles just works because we can't do "anything" with it. Steam Big Picture already did that but we will always need mouse and/or keyboard for something.
Of course we will, not saying those will go away as well. I'm saying the interface for steamos and Windows will help people transition from consoles to PC better. I use my steam deck and I use the UI more than I do desktop mode but I do use desktop mode as well.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Talking points from a bygone era that people who have never used a gaming PC think are still real things. I’m always on gamespy downloading patches! My jazz drive is full! I’m cleaning out my mouse ball constantly! ICQ notifications make my games crash! I ran out of installs because of Starforce!

It%27s_All_So_Tiresome.jpg
You forgot about having to optimize your 640KB conventional memory. And really that’s all the memory anybody would need on PCs.

Oh, and messing around with IRQs, now that was truly metal! 😉

buenoblue

I haven't watched the video but for years I was all about PC gaming. I pretty much built 3 PCs from from 2010-2018 probably spending over £5000. Though I always had the consoles I mainly played on PC and enjoyed all the tinkering and freedom to push graphics.

Cut to today and although I still have a PC (rtx 2080) I almost always game on PS5 nowadays. The last game I bought on PC was starfield and it was a mess and just crashed and ran like shit. Everytime I do boot up a game on pc it always has some weird problem that I have to spend half an hour researching on Google.

I feel like graphics have got pretty good on consoles and with a nice HDR OLED VRR they can look great. And I just want to sit down and play a game as easy as possible.

Being able to buy a PS5 game on my phone at work and start the download remotely is great. Get home and press the PS button and it turns on my PS5, Surround sound and TV and I'm gaming in seconds with HDR and 3d Atmos sound ☺️.

SoloCamo

Ditched the PC years ago (glory 97-2008 years), and have been console only since the Xbox 360 days. No need to go back to hitching, stuttering and driver issues!

Imagine thinking nothing has improved after 16 years. If anything those issues you mentioned are even less now. We just have way more games to play than ever which also increases the chance of crappy ports (that do get fixed anyways).

Everytime I do boot up a game on pc it always has some weird problem that I have to spend half an hour researching on Google.

Sure you do. I swear, the fact that most of you drive scares me.

Last edited:

Mithos

You can also buy the headphone license for Dolby Atmos and DTS-X.
I don't have a receiver supporting that, DD5.1 and DTS is the only support.

Also my PC is hooked up to my TV (pass-through on the sound so the TV do not touch it), then from the TV's "toslink out" to the receiver.
So to get surround sound, whatever device hooked up need to send a DD5.1 or DTS signal to the TV, and the TV just pass the signal to the toslink allowing the receiver to take care of the signal.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I haven't watched the video but for years I was all about PC gaming. I pretty much built 3 PCs from from 2010-2018 probably spending over £5000. Though I always had the consoles I mainly played on PC and enjoyed all the tinkering and freedom to push graphics.

Cut to today and although I still have a PC (rtx 2080) I almost always game on PS5 nowadays. The last game I bought on PC was starfield and it was a mess and just crashed and ran like shit. Everytime I do boot up a game on pc it always has some weird problem that I have to spend half an hour researching on Google.

I feel like graphics have got pretty good on consoles and with a nice HDR OLED VRR they can look great. And I just want to sit down and play a game as easy as possible.

Being able to buy a PS5 game on my phone at work and start the download remotely is great. Get home and press the PS button and it turns on my PS5, Surround sound and TV and I'm gaming in seconds with HDR and 3d Atmos sound ☺️.
I love this functionality, sitting on the toilet in work, browsing the sales and picking a game to have waiting for me when I get home, like you said, grab the controller and by the time I'm sitting down the TV is on, the soundbar kicks in and the PS5 is booted and ready to play, you just can't bate that ease of use..

As for my laptop, it's a work laptop fairly decent Alienware but I can't be arsed bringing a controller into work and back for those 30min sessions at lunchtime nor can I be arsed lugging it home and plugging it into the TV for a minimal if even upgrade over the PS5 in the graphics department only to pack it all up in the morning again.

Granted if Sony started releasing day and date Playstation Studio games on PC then i might consider forgoing a PS6 and getting a more permanent small form factor PC to sit under the telly, as it stands I prefer the Sony Studio games over all else tbf and currently can't justify a mega expensive graphics card to just play at higher resolutions and frame rates, every game looks great from couch distance on my OLED.

As it stands and for the foreseeable the Playstation is the defacto target for the majority of games I like so we're not gonna see lots of big AAA games fully utilizing a 4090 to a point where it's a generational leap visually over a PS5

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't have a receiver supporting that, DD5.1 and DTS is the only support.

Also my PC is hooked up to my TV (pass-through on the sound so the TV do not touch it), then from the TV's "toslink out" to the receiver.
So to get surround sound, whatever device hooked up need to send a DD5.1 or DTS signal to the TV, and the TV just pass the signal to the toslink allowing the receiver to take care of the signal.
I was referring to headphones also being a option because of your toslink limitations.

buenoblue

Imagine thinking nothing has improved after 16 years. If anything those issues you mentioned are even less now. We just have way more games to play than ever which also increases the chance of crappy ports (that do get fixed anyways).

Sure you do. I swear, the fact that most of you drive scares me.
Yeah I'm just lying aren't I for the giggles.
Just look up PCgamingwiki. If you can find me any game on there that doesn't have some weird problem then I'd like to see it.

And I still have a 2080 and 5600x lol. That's not 16 years old

And PC games are more fucked than ever latley
🤣

Last edited:

BigLee74

This forum is full of people complaining about hitching, stuttering and driver issues. I didn’t pull that out of my backside you know 😂

I also still have a PC that suffered all those problems back when it was viable for gaming a few years ago.

Nah, been there done that. So much less hassle gaming on a console, and I can do it in the comfort of my living room on a big tv. No regrets here!

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
One thing most pc enthusiasts misunderstand is that a lot of people are ok with playing games 20-40fps, so they always act like $1000 PC is the bare minimum. You can always build a computer starting with a integrated GPU and later upgrade if it doesn't fit your needs(that's what I did)

There is also gaming laptop if don't want to do any thinkering to play games.

For me, it's more about the type of games. Strategy games, MMOs, survival and fps just work better one PC, with keyboard and mouse and a complex HUD. Racing, third person, fighting, platformers just play better on console.

Also, PC online gamers have to dry with way more hackers.

SoloCamo

Yeah I'm just lying aren't I for the giggles.
Just look up PCgamingwiki. If you can find me any game on there that doesn't have some weird problem then I'd like to see it.

And I still have a 2080 and 5600x lol. That's not 16 years old

And PC games are more fucked than ever latley
🤣

I don't think some of you realize how easy pc gaming is now. I had many more problems in the early days and the "major" issues you all seem to run into now are a joke in comparison. Also the quoted post I was referring to literally said.....

Everytime I do boot up a game on pc it always has some weird problem that I have to spend half an hour researching on Google.

Bolded for emphasis.

The real question is this -

-Are you sure it's the game and not your system?
-Are you sure your memory is actually stable?
-Do you actually check gpu/cpu usage during said events?
-What background tasks are you running?
-Are you overclocked, and are you sure it's actually stable? I've had times where 10mhz on a gpu makes or breaks a random game.
-Do you have crappy RGB software causing problems (looking at you Asus) or an AV program that doesn't play nice?
-Do you have a proper PSU able to handle power spikes?

There are so many basic things overlooked. I know that seems like a lot of work to some of you, but it's really not. Obviously there are plenty of broken games, and don't think for one minute that consoles are spared here.

This forum is full of people complaining about hitching, stuttering and driver issues. I didn’t pull that out of my backside you know
😂

I also still have a PC that suffered all those problems back when it was viable for gaming a few years ago.

Nah, been there done that. So much less hassle gaming on a console, and I can do it in the comfort of my living room on a big tv. No regrets here!

See above. I also have another PC in my ... *gasp* living room attached to a 60" 4k TV and not only that, it has a controller! Now to really blow your mind, the driver I'm running is over a year old on my gpu and it has zero issues!

Last edited:

kungfuian

The consoles lack of good VR support is why steam gets most of my money. PlayStation has kind of supported it but with this new kit they've provided next to no first party stuff so pretty lame on their end.

Of course playing on a high-end PC is very expensive so I don't expect many other people would want to fork over the money required to run the highest end VR games. We're a pretty niche market.

As far as 2D standard games I don't think the PC's that much better than say a PlayStation 5 to warrant the extra money. There's pluses and minuses for sure but you get a lot more bang for your buck with a console imo.

Last edited:
If Battlefield has M/KB support on PC I would do PS/Nintendo only honestly.

I love PC gaming, and I’ve been doing it since the late 90s when I was single digit age but the way I play nowadays the platform doesn’t matter really and I usually gravitate towards the simplicity of console.

I also work in tech in a capacity where I repair computers but also have to teach people how to use products and you would be surprised how dumb people are and how tired of technology you can get.

Bleh.

Console vs PC is old, out dated and petty. I'm old, during engineering school I built PC's for others, made some money doing it and loved it. Now I just want shit to work as I'm tired of fixing bugs with hardware. I hate windows as I think it could be the worst thing to happen to humanity, really it is.

Today I use Mac's and consoles and suffer a bit at work with windows but my life is better. I don't need the best of the best and that extra fps and fidelity means squat to me.

But choose what you want as I get the rush of PC's but they are not for me anymore. I can now afford whatever I want without blinking an eye at a 5k PC but give me a PS5 any day.

Kataploom

Gold Member
If you're not a nerd console is the place to be. The only time I played on pc was when I was a teenager and my dad had a good pc setup for his work m I couldn't be fucking bothered with the hassle. I'm too lazy to even change HDD/SDD's on my consoles.
You could also be playing PC exclusive games lol, I know people that play pretty much all the time on their laptop games like LoL or WoW which as of now don't have console versions

Fredrik

Have you tried google on it? Don’t give up on it, it should work:
PC(HDMI) > (HDMI)TV(Optical) > (Optical)AVR
I just think it’ll automatically downstep to DD5.1 after the optical connection.

SHA

My only issue with games is the stuttering in parts of games with complex geometry animations , the interesting part where you wanna measure your build strength, that doesn't happen on consoles unfortunately.

buenoblue

I don't think some of you realize how easy pc gaming is now. I had many more problems in the early days and the "major" issues you all seem to run into now are a joke in comparison. Also the quoted post I was referring to literally said.....

Bolded for emphasis.

The real question is this -

-Are you sure it's the game and not your system?
-Are you sure your memory is actually stable?
-Do you actually check gpu/cpu usage during said events?
-What background tasks are you running?
-Are you overclocked, and are you sure it's actually stable? I've had times where 10mhz on a gpu makes or breaks a random game.
-Do you have crappy RGB software causing problems (looking at you Asus) or an AV program that doesn't play nice?
-Do you have a proper PSU able to handle power spikes?

There are so many basic things overlooked. I know that seems like a lot of work to some of you, but it's really not. Obviously there are plenty of broken games, and don't think for one minute that consoles are spared here.

See above. I also have another PC in my ... *gasp* living room attached to a 60" 4k TV and not only that, it has a controller! Now to really blow your mind, the driver I'm running is over a year old on my gpu and it has zero issues!
Dude are you serious 😂 I say there is to much messing about on PC and I can turn on my whole setup in seconds and be gaming on PS5.

And your response is to give a list of 10 things I need to spend hours troubleshooting 😂😂😂. Like really 🤣
I don't wanna spend hours fiddling with shit

My PC is hooked up to my QD OLED. I've had a PC hooked up to my TV for 18 years lol.

Let me ask you have you ever played on a PS5 hooked up to a 65inch QD OLED and 10 speaker Atmos sound system, that you can turn on and off from the controller?

Because Ive played thousands of hours on both PC and consoles and the current gen console experience is pretty great.

I still use my PC for VR and emulation and Its great having access to a huge back catalogue spanning decades but believe me it's gets hard to keep up with the upgrades and certain problems you run into when PC gaming.

Yes you can get a better graphical experience from PC no doubt, but I could afford to get a sports car that goes 200 mph but I choose just to get around in comfort and economy because it's just easier 🤷‍♂️

Why do you need to ditch one? This sort of stupid warning mentally I've never understood.
I use a combination of different systems and while the humble console is my main focus I don't just use only one make of console either and will game on 'rival' consoles and also on the PC for stuff like Arma

Sentenza

This forum is full of people complaining about hitching, stuttering and driver issues. I didn’t pull that out of my backside you know 😂
Yeah, it will never NOT be hilarious, incidentally.
Recent example:
"OMG, Dragon's Dogma 2 drops below 60 fps in the capital on PC and some effects are a bit too demanding.
I'm so much better playing this on consoles where it struggles to keep 30 fps and I have no control whatsoever over its settings, SOMEHOW".

Kerotan

You could also be playing PC exclusive games lol, I know people that play pretty much all the time on their laptop games like LoL or WoW which as of now don't have console versions
I have a life and have no intention of playing those games. There's not actually a pc exclusive game I'd buy except age of mythology which outside of Giants Citizen Kabuto is the only game I liked on pc. Actually the sum of all fears was good too.

But the new age of mythology is coming to Xbox so will probably end up on playstation at some point.

Midn1ght

Right now i have two options. Get the PS5 Pro later this year for $600 for spend $1000 on a PC GPU 50% more powerful. Problem is that my CPU is a bottleneck in most RT games so while i might be able to brute force some games, i will need to upgrade my CPU as well. Problem with my CPU upgrade is that i will need to get a new mobo because all the latest intel CPUs use a different mobo. If i switch to AMD that means getting a new AIO as well. That pushes me to $1,700. for 50% more performance. Fuck that.

Sony says they can add RT to games that had missing RT effects in 60 fps modes. I am ok with that. Yes, the ps5 pro at best will be equivalent to a 3080 and at worst a 3070, but its not like im playing most games with RT on anyway.

TLDR; PC gaming is too expensive. Going back to console gaming.
I love PC gaming but I'm in the exact same situation.

I have a 11600k with a 3060 Ti and upgrading my PC would mean new mobo, new CPU, new GPU and possibly new PSU. Even if I sell my current parts, I'll probably have to spend over a grand just to upgrade. A Pro console at 600€ is appealing of course, what's hard is to move away from the curated 400 games Steam library I built in the last 11 years and my Steam profile. There's also the paid online fee on console that I hate. So yeah, decision, decision...

PC gaming is great but price for hardware is what suck the most currently.

Last edited:

Zathalus

I've said stick to which platform you prefer but some of the "arguments" against PC gaming in this thread are getting pretty silly.

I love PC gaming but I'm in the exact same situation.

I have a 11600k with a 3060 Ti and upgrading my PC would mean new mobo, new CPU, new GPU and possibly new PSU. Even if I sell my current parts, I'll probably have to spend over a grand just to upgrade. A Pro console at 600€ is appealing of course, what's hard is to move away from the curated 400 games Steam library I built in the last 11 years and my Steam profile. There's also the paid online fee on console that I hate. So yeah, decision, decision...

PC gaming is great but price for hardware is what suck the most currently.
With those specs all you need to do is buy a 4070 Super and your PC will outperform the PS5 Pro in basically everything for the next 4 years. No real reason to upgrade the rest unless you really want to.

Midn1ght

I've said stick to which platform you prefer but some of the "arguments" against PC gaming in this thread are getting pretty silly.

With those specs all you need to do is buy a 4070 Super and your PC will outperform the PS5 Pro in basically everything for the next 4 years. No real reason to upgrade the rest unless you really want to.
wouldn't my 11600k be a bottleneck for a 4070 super?

Zathalus

wouldn't my 11600k be a bottleneck for a 4070 super?
It's a pretty powerful 6/12 CPU, it shouldn't be a issue up to 60fps. It's certainly more powerful then the CPU in the PS5 Pro for example. You can upgrade to a 11700 (8 cores) for just over 200 euro if you really want to, but for the vast majority of games it shouldn't really be a problem.

BigLee74

Yeah, it will never NOT be hilarious, incidentally.
Recent example:
"OMG, Dragon's Dogma 2 drops below 60 fps in the capital on PC and some effects are a bit too demanding.
I'm so much better playing this on consoles where it struggles to keep 30 fps and I have no control whatsoever over its settings, SOMEHOW".

No need to be a dick about it. You’re not speaking to the uninitiated. 😉

I am well aware of the advantages that PCs bring over consoles, just like I am well aware of the advantages that consoles bring over PCs. We all have our preferences.

PC was appealing to me historically mid-gen when the consoles started showing their limitations. However, with these mid-gen refreshes, along with generally a slower pace of PC improvement, I am sticking with PS5. I'll upgrade at the end of the year to a Pro which will probably cost me $200-$300 and I will be set until PS6 comes out.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Dude are you serious 😂 I say there is to much messing about on PC and I can turn on my whole setup in seconds and be gaming on PS5.

And your response is to give a list of 10 things I need to spend hours troubleshooting 😂😂😂. Like really 🤣

My PC is hooked up to my QD OLED. I've had a PC hooked up to my TV for 18 years lol.

Let me ask you have you ever played on a PS5 hooked up to a 65inch QD OLED and 10 speaker Atmos sound system, that you can turn on and off from the controller?

Because Ive played thousands of hours on both PC and consoles and the current gen console experience is pretty great.

I still use my PC for VR and emulation and Its great having access to a huge back catalogue spanning decades but believe me it's gets hard to keep up with the upgrades and certain problems you run into when PC gaming.

Yes you can get a better graphical experience from PC no doubt, but I could afford to get a sports car that goes 200 mph but I choose just to get around in comfort and economy because it's just easier 🤷‍♂️
I don't get any of this. What a rambling mess.

How dare you even type "ditch PC" if anything, I can see a boring fucking future where everyone has the same powerful, small, all in one-ish device. Might be something like a steam deck-pipboy type thing? Man...

Loope

Hitman 3 has its own launcher, button prompts don't work. Gotta pull out a keyboard. Same with Cyberpunk, BG3, etc.

I'm not saying you need a PhD to do this but using a PC the same way you use a console is a lot more complex than people are giving it credit for. And I use a gaming PC ALL THE TIME to game and have a masters in Computer Science. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The way I see it, you get out what you put in. PC gaming is a lot more work but if you put in the work the end result is a generation or two above console. But you do have to work to get there.
Cyberpunk launcher, just like Witcher 3 (they're basically the same) works for me with the controller. Hitman i don't know, those two definetely do with the Xone controller.

Topher

Gold Member

lol.......the vast majority of that is console gamers telling PC gamers that they have "hitching, stuttering and driver issues".

is this a test? I’ll humour you…

Post in thread 'Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread'
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-iii-review-thread.1663096/post-269060472

And one post ain't an example of a forum "full" of people supposedly having problems with drivers. Consoles have problems as well....

tusharngf

I'm about 99.9% comfortable with PC over console. I prefer the multitasking and options (desk with KBM vs switching to TV and laying down with a controller) as well as the visual fidelity. I'd be 100% if games like Bloodborne would just come to PC... playing the swamps at sub 20fps was brutal on PS4.
i got PRO for that same reason back then.

lordrand11

Fun fact: PS5 doesn't even have a basic web browser.
Even the Xbox has a full fledged Edge.

That is 1 decision I can't wrap my head around. The lack of a basic browser for PS5. Even the PS4 had one.
It makes a console much more versatile. I used it on PS4 and Xbox to lookup guides while gaming. The omission on PS5 was a real wtf moment for me.
Sony blocked browser access except through game(s) due to the console hackability that was possible in the PS4's browser. Basically, they don't know how to lock their shit down good enough for it not to be opened up.

BigLee74

Topher Topher , you’re better than that. I didn’t say it was full of driver issues, I said it was full of people complaining about stuttering, hitching and driver issues.

And at no point did I say that consoles were perfect. You appear to be creating arguments that don’t exist.

Enjoy your PC, seriously. It’s just no longer for me, for a multitude of reasons - maintenance being only one!

SoloCamo

And your response is to give a list of 10 things I need to spend hours troubleshooting

Yes you can get a better graphical experience from PC no doubt, but I could afford to get a sports car that goes 200 mph but I choose just to get around in comfort and economy because it's just easier

I was expecting this response. That said, it's a one and done thing. Overclocking is not a requirement so you obviously can rule that out. You can also run memory at default speeds (no xmp) to guarantee stability outside of a faulty hardware (yes, even the PS5 can have faulty hardware, QA isn't perfect).

Any of the suggested things can be run with zero interaction from you overnight. Run a benchmark loop and check it in the morning. Run a memtest, check it in the morning. Once done, it's done.

Regarding your experience with PS5 and the OLED TV and sound system that can be done better on pc so I'm not sure your point there unless your selling point is you don't have to walk all of five feet to turn the pc on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom