• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5 Royal coming to Xbox Series X|S and PC (Game Pass)

Orbital2060

6878fad1-1e59-4ecb-985cj10.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FES has the most content from what I noticed.

P3P was the trimmed version for the PSP with no character exploration outside the dungeons. The portable version felt like a visual novel outside the dungeons.

Yeah, I get that, I played all three of the persona 3 variations, I guess they went for the portable one because it has the exclusive female MC campaign, but that's just my guess.

Well probably because the PSP version is the one that Atlus could remaster easiest and cheapest.

Persona 4 Golden already has an extremely good steam version, porting that was probably not a difficult task at all. Bringing persona 5 Royal to Xbox and PC is probably the most ambitious of the three ports

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
There is no PS3 version.
Outside Persona 4 Golden releasing on the Vita.
Persona 3/ Fez, Persona 4 /Golden haven't had a Playstation console release since they launched on PS2.
It was a downloadable emulated port of the PS2 version.
So i guess not really a PS3 version but you get the gist.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is the second time they done this after asking if fans want it.

Atlas: Do you want P3&P4 Remastered?

Persona Fans: Yes!

Atlas: here ya go P4Golden for PC!

Atlas: if there is interest for P3 & P4 Remastered on consoles lets us know!

Persona Fan: yes we want it, we said that before and you released P4GOLDEN on PC only!, What fuck is wrong with you!

Atlas: yeah sorry about that.
P3P & P4GOLDEN for consoles, Xbox Consoles...

Persona Fans:
Face Palm GIF

Last edited:

DavJay

I didn’t mind the PS3P exploration much. They short cut everything and made the game go by quicker. Persona 3 got serious pacing issues so I think that aspect actually plays in its favor. Would have been better if they kept it but it’s no deal breaker especially since they added female main.

Zatzuken

Persona Fan: yes we want it, we said that before and you released P4GOLDEN on PC only!, What fuck is wrong with you!

Persona Fans:
Face Palm GIF

It’s like being kicked in the gut…. I even bought and platted all the dancing games Atlus!!!!!

LordCBH

Persona Fans:
Face Palm GIF

Pretty much. Literally ever survey I’m like “yo bring P3 and 4 to all the modern shit” and then they go and do this.

• Empathy
Reactions: TGO

Alphagear

Yeah, I get that, I played all three of the persona 3 variations, I guess they went for the portable one because it has the exclusive female MC campaign, but that's just my guess.

Well probably because the PSP version is the one that Atlus could remaster easiest and cheapest.

Persona 4 Golden already has an extremely good steam version, porting that was probably not a difficult task at all. Bringing persona 5 Royal to Xbox and PC is probably the most ambitious of the three ports

Persona 4 Golden is the best version of the game so that was the right decision. Same goes for P5 Royal.

You're probably right about the porting business. Maybe that's why they chose P3P cause it is Widescreen from what I remember.

The best versions are as follows.

Persona 3 FES.
Persona 4 Golden.
Persona 5 Royal.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pretty much. Literally ever survey I’m like “yo bring P3 and 4 to all the modern shit” and then they go and do this.
It's not that they have ported it to Xbox either, that's fine, more gamers get to experience it.
But to purposely leave out Playstation twice!
it's no longer funny.

It's not that they have ported it to Xbox either, that's fine, more gamers get to experience it.
it's no longer funny.
Tell Jimbo to open the bag like Phil is doing lol
You should know how Atlus is by now they will only port if you give them the bag

Last edited:

LordCBH

it's no longer funny.

I want them on literally everything lol. If the fucking WonderSwan was still a thing I’d want them there too

Lognor

Banned
Awesome! No word on switch though? I don't want to play through a 100 hour jrpg in front of a TV but I might have to if this doesn't come to switch.

DavJay

Yeah you know they're gonna fuck with the original text to include all the modern propaganda. Naoto in P4G is not trans, the original game strongly suggests as much but I bet the new "localization" will make her trans.

Man I still remember the controversy when p4 first came out. Kanji too. It was a different time in the mid 2000s

CamHostage

You're probably right about the porting business. Maybe that's why they chose P3P cause it is Widescreen from what I remember.

That helps get the job done, as does the fact that it's the most recent version and so they probably have their code/assets in better shape and archival then elsewhere.

Still, this is a big game, go ahead and remaster it correctly. They went to the trouble of remaking it for a portable (granted, a very successful portable, but that was only one year in, PSP wasn't massive in Japan at that time yet), there's a pretty active industry for remastering games in Japan, the game is largely 3D so remastering would be a straightforward challenge, the 2D assets are often stark in contrast and should be able to scale up decently if they don't have a lot of original production art to swap in, and Persona 3 is in need of an everything-bagel version that combines the best of P3P with P3 (or, release a package that has them both.) A perfect-edition remaster of P3 could have be an event in one of Atlas' major franchises doled out to all platforms.

Instead, they are bothering to relocalize and bothering to redo P3P to whatever small degree, but they could have practically just dumped the rom into a PSP emulator shell and released it for Xbox with Game Pass as the freebie reasoning for why it's not a "real" remaster, and that would have just about achieved the same result of allowing them to say, "Persona is now on Xbox."

Last edited:

Boss Mog

Man I still remember the controversy when p4 first came out. Kanji too. It was a different time in the mid 2000s
Why do these game need a "localization cordinator" when they were already localized just fine back when they came out. the only explanation is that they want to rewrite history so to speak. I'd almost prefer these ports not come out at all now. And Kanji is not gay, he's at most bi but really he never shows any interest in guys, only Naoto, who is a girl so.

Last edited:

DavJay

Why do these game need a "localization cordinator" when they were already localized just fine back when they came out. the only explanation is that they want to rewrite history so to speak. I'd almost prefer these ports not come out at all now.

Time changes like the other user said. Anything that put Russia in a positive light for example would probably be changed. The coordinator is there to make sure everything in it is acceptable to modern day society.

Boss Mog

No confirmation on Switch versions yet? Only Atlus could be dumb enough to put these games on everything EXCEPT Switch.
There's no confirmation of PlayStation either. The video that Atlus posted on their own channel only lists XBOX and PC. Probably a timed exclusive. Now we know why P5 was removed from the PS+ Collection last month.

The_hunter

Why do these game need a "localization cordinator" when they were already localized just fine back when they came out. the only explanation is that they want to rewrite history so to speak. I'd almost prefer these ports not come out at all now. And Kanji is not gay, he's at most bi but really he never shows any interest in guys, only Naoto, who is a girl so.

I think this person is just translating buttons and tutorials.They should not change the game's narrative. P4G is unchanged right? That game came out last year I think.

Last edited:

Relique

I doubt Phil paid anything
So Atlus is just giving away their flagship franchise on Gamepass out of the kindness of their heart?

A lot of players and youtubers have been asking for P5R on Xbox so Phil handed out the money bag. It's a simple as that. He even said in the showcase this was due to popular demand. Sony's paid for Atlus exclusives before. If Phil can do it so can they if they wanted to.

Three

Crazy that this wasn’t at the Sony showcase even crazier that Xbox are getting these first when traditionally JRPG’s tank on Xbox makes no sense to me, makes about as much sense as FF pixel remaster going to steam first.
Why would it be? Persona 5 was released on PS+ years ago. We have no info on P3P and P4 but I suspect that if they invest in a port from PSVita/PSP then PS4/5 is likely to get it (without as much marketing).

Last edited:

The_hunter

Why would it be? Persona 5 was released on PS+ years ago. We have no info on P3P and P4 but I suspect that if they invest in a port from PSVita/PSP then PS4/5 is likely to get it (without as much marketing).
Would make sense to announce these ports at the persona super live, where the majority of their japanese fanbase will tune in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does it matter in any way in which order you play these? Since the latest one is releasing first for some reason...

No, but you may notice game play refinements missing if you play them out of order.

5 is the first one coming out anyway and that is the most accessible of the lot.

graywolf323

Persona 4 Golden is the best version of the game so that was the right decision. Same goes for P5 Royal.

The best versions are as follows.

Persona 3 FES.
Persona 4 Golden.
Persona 5 Royal.
eh I'd disagree only that there isn't a best version of Persona 3, FES had The Answer plus exploration & cinematics but Portable adds the Female MC & party control in combat

Boss Mog

I think this person is just translating buttons and tutorials.They should not change the game's narrative. P4G is unchanged right? That game came out last year I think.

Man... I hope you're right but I'm still wary cause I've seen so much stuff in all forms of media being edited these days. Just the other day on UK TV they deleted a scene in Spider-man where Tobey says to Randy Savage "that's a cute outfit, did your husband make it for you".

Last edited:
Top Bottom