• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Starfield being 30fps is a "creative choice", not a hardware issue.

Chronicle

I kinda like 30 fps for cutscenes and if done really well I don't mind it for games. However, 60 fps should be standard across the industry.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't see where is the problem with what Phil has said.

Push the graphics: 30fps.
Don't push the graphics: 60fps.

I don't have a problem with what he said either. I just disagree with the "vision" BGS has because it means taking away choice.

At the same time, that's the price you pay on console. You don't get the choices you get on PC and so I'll play there.

All Good Love GIF by Great Big Story

RGB'D

At least for us pc dudes, Bethesda is among us and mods will fix their mess.
Can't say the same for games like Jedi survivor.
I imagine that Bethesda will allow for mods on Xbox as well. I'm pretty sure they are supported on console if the developer allows for them and we are talking about Bethesda. But regardless, I will be feasting on 3080TI with both the devs and community aiding in my experience.

RyanEvans21

I imagine that Bethesda will allow for mods on Xbox as well. I'm pretty sure they are supported on console if the developer allows for them and we are talking about Bethesda. But regardless, I will be feasting on 3080TI with both the devs and community aiding in my experience.

You can download mod on Skyrim and Fallout on console. They need approval first though.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The depth and scope of this game is unmatched and it's the reason why it will be the game of the generation. The game being 30FPS or 60FPS isn't going to change that fact so falling for the outrage bait is useless.

Tsaki

Well of course it is a creative decision, in theory. If you put enough simulations in a game the CPU will need that 33.3ms frame-time.
But in this instance I think it's the Bethesda engine not being up to snuff and properly utilize 16 threads of Zen 2 CPUs. The recommended PC settings (let's not even talk about the minimum) list the 3600X. Higher single core performance than Series X but 4 less threads. Just throw everything to one core and pray.
If it was another team, say The Coalition, I would believe that they are using efficiently the resources they have. But it's Bethesda. Optimization, bug-free and efficiency in not their strong suit.

Bethesda works independently under MS. Todd Howard confirmed to IGN that its his decision to keep Starfield 30fps on consoles as he prefer locked stable frame rate and not fluctuating 60. Stop blaming my boy Phill for everything.

Also this tells me due to scale of the game, engine was just not staying locked at 60. Creation engine known for running poorly even on PCs unless mods fixes the issue. So im not surprised.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
That's not a creative decision. Creative decisions are not dictated by hardware.
Of course they are, because there's more than one way to spend performance. You can spend it on how the game looks, how the game plays, how the game works, and it's up to the creatives to decide what use of resources is best for their games.

All art involves creative decisions based on the limitations of the medium. Whether or not a movie is shot on film or digital, whether a painter uses oil paints or watercolors, whether a guitar player uses accoustic or electric... The "hardware" in all these cases has limitations that impact the result, but it's up to the artist how to work with those limitations to make the thing they want.

The depth and scope of this game is unmatched and it's the reason why it will be the game of the generation. The game being 30FPS or 60FPS isn't going to change that fact so falling for the outrage bait is useless.
Bro you talking sense to these people. Dont do it. They will not understand.

NickFire

Bethesda works independently under MS. Todd Howard confirmed to IGN that its his decision to keep Starfield 30fps on consoles as he prefer locked stable frame rate and not fluctuating 60. Stop blaming my boy Phill for everything.
The independence is legendary. You should have seen the look on Phil's face when Todd kicked down his door, screamed PS5 cancelled, and dropped the mic. You do not mess with Todd.

That's the dumbest shit I've heard in a long time. Nobody intentionally makes an FPS 30fps if they could make it 60. Bethesda's engine is just garbage, the game is not technically impressive at all. Stop lying, Phil.
Dumb post. They can easily make game 1080p60fps and turn settings to low.

But if you watched Todd interview, he wants to keep fidelity high. So he going for native 4k at 30. Fact its hitting native 4k should tell you everything why he decided to 30fps.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Not necessarily. If they could I am sure they would offer a 1440p performance mode on Series X at least. But the game might be too CPU bound.

People seem to forget BGS always treats PC as the lead platform. They have never been known for excellent console versions. Skyrim was rough on consoles. But people dealt with it because the game was good.

The independence is legendary. You should have seen the look on Phil's face when Todd kicked down his door, screamed PS5 cancelled, and dropped the mic. You do not mess with Todd.
That's different. MS will not interfere with creative decisions of how to make a game. But theyvwill decide where game will be released.

There is a difference between Releasing game on competing platform vs not interfering with creative decision of game director.

Not necessarily. If they could I am sure they would offer a 1440p performance mode on Series X at least. But the game might be too CPU bound.

People seem to forget BGS always treats PC as the lead platform. They have never been known for excellent console versions. Skyrim was rough on consoles. But people dealt with it because the game was good.
Im pretty sure SX can hit 60 but hit on fidelity must be hard which is making Todd not to go for 60.

NickFire

That's different. MS will not interfere with creative decisions of how to make a game. But theyvwill decide where game will be released.

There is a difference between Releasing game on competing platform vs not interfering with creative decision of game director.
What if MS says it must ship by a certain date, and both consoles must have the same features?

Would dropping one feature for parity really be an independent decision?

Puscifer

Good.

The people who bitch about 30fps would prefer the game look like the top image, just so it could be 60fps.

Normal people are happy with the locked 4K30fps decision. It will be an objectively superior experience because of it.
Laugh reacts only

RoadHazard

Gold Member

But if you watched Todd interview, he wants to keep fidelity high. So he going for native 4k at 30. Fact its hitting native 4k should tell you everything why he decided to 30fps.

It doesn't though. If the CPU is the limiting factor turning down the resolution, texture quality, etc, wouldn't help. If it isn't, they should easily be able to provide a 1440p60 mode without many other very noticeable downgrades. And I believe that if they could they would, so I think their engine is just very inefficient and hammers the CPU way more than it should.

I would appreciate giving me the option to make that choice. You could scale back some things to atleast offer a 60fps performance mode.

Last edited:
What if MS says it must ship by a certain date, and both consoles must have the same features?

Would dropping one feature for parity really be an independent decision?
Todd said to Phill - Look Boss, we can make it 60 but fidelity of the game getting compromised hard. Game is vast and massive in scale. We getting popins and low res textures everywhere when hitting 60. Our artists work real hard to design every detail in the game and we want our fans to see it in its full glory in 4k. So please understand.

Phill - Ok, i guess i will deal with backlash yet again. After all im everyone's favourite punching bag.

Liamario

Banned
Of course they are, because there's more than one way to spend performance. You can spend it on how the game looks, how the game plays, how the game works, and it's up to the creatives to decide what use of resources is best for their games.

All art involves creative decisions based on the limitations of the medium. Whether or not a movie is shot on film or digital, whether a painter uses oil paints or watercolors, whether a guitar player uses accoustic or electric... The "hardware" in all these cases has limitations that impact the result, but it's up to the artist how to work with those limitations to make the thing they want.
I don't accept your analogy. Film v digital is about aesthetic, the same with paint and music. They are intentional choices. Nobody chooses 30fps, if they can run it at 60fps. Games are able gameplay primarily. Lower frame rate compromises that.
Bethesda has a design and they feel they'd rather compromise frame rate than resolution or lowering physics etc... That's their choice, but they could at least give the option.

Of course it is. That's common sense. When you're designing a game around a piece of hardware, obviously the capabilities of that hardware (and how far you want to push it) are taken into consideration.

If they wanted to scale back systems, scale, lighting, texture detail, ambient occlusion, resolution etc.. etc.. they could've made a game that ran at 60fps on Series X.

That's not what this game is though.

Again, buy a high end PC if you want 4k/60 visuals. We're only going to continue to see these concessions more and more on these consoles as the generation goes on.

You ever hear of fidelity and performance modes?

NO EXCUSES not to have something that will future proof the game for 60 fps when the mid gen refreshes and ps6 come out

There should be a mode that has unlocked fps at least

C
It doesn't though. If the CPU is the limiting factor turning down the resolution, texture quality, etc, wouldn't help. If it isn't, they should easily be able to provide a 1440p60 mode without many other very noticeable downgrades. And I believe that if they could they would, so I think their engine is just very inefficient and hammers the CPU way more than it should.
CPU is not as weak, you making it to be.

It could be more of a split memory issue or SS holding back?

Tams

Only Nintendo get to do this. Fuck off Phil.

And they have an excuse, and they even have some of their games run at 60fps.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
C

CPU is not as weak, you making it to be.

It could be more of a split memory issue or SS holding back?

I'm not saying the CPU is weak, I'm saying the engine is old and inefficient, and that with a better engine in the hands of more capable developers this could definitely run at 60.

Kvally

Banned

So besides Redfall (waiting on 60fps patch), you are not happy that every first party game that MS has released this gen has a 60fps?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I'm sure Switch owners would love the choice of a 360p resolution mode if it means an unlocked frame rate.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
A.) c’mon phil, there’s no need to lie, and there’s no shame in admitting it is a hardware reason

B.) I bet this game will be very cpu taxing, even on some of the more high end CPU’s. Crossing my fingers for dlss 3 so I can get close to 120 fps on my 4090/13900k combo

C.) I bet their main focus right now is getting this thing out by September as bug free as they can. It’s likely coming in very hot. Once it’s been out for a few months and cleaned up. I can see xbox getting a frame-rate mode at 1440p upscaled from 1080 on series x, and 1080 upscaled from 720 on a, and even then I don't think it will be a stable 60fps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom