• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s first Remote Play dedicated device, PlayStation Portal remote player, to launch later this year at $199.99

//DEVIL//

charging me 200$ for a screen that is probably FHD ? that has a wireless chip, left offer broken plastic in half ps5 controller with a minimal OS on it.... no shame in this company.

another DOA device just like their VR2.. they keep making shit hardware people will no longer even trust the console itself. congrats idiots.

Hell even at 100$ it needs lots of thinking ffs.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Nintendo has Bluetooth support? That's fucking embarrassing for PS and XB. I literally said wow.

They do but from what I'm reading just now, it only has SBC codec support so quality is low and there is a lot of complaints about audio delay (varies between headphones).

Maybe they are worried about controllers working on the same frequency and eating the bandwidth.

FrankWza

Nintendo has Bluetooth support? That's fucking embarrassing for PS and XB. I literally said wow.
Bluetooth audio for gaming is usually pretty terrible and almost always needs a dongle to provide anywhere near lossless and lag free audio. There's nothing embarrassing about it

fart town usa

Gold Member
Who is this device supposed to be for?
😅. Older gamers like myself who get nagged guilt tripped by their wife for gaming in the basement or kids who don't have their own TV.

Steamdeck is a infinitely better option but I'm looking for convenience and if this thing works well I'll be getting one.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yes, you need a PS5 but you don’t need to be on the same network as the PlayStation 5. You can travel to the other side of the world and use it there. It will not scan your local network and pair with the first PlayStation it finds lol. Will most likely work like remote play does now, device gets paired to the system via PlayStation account.
That's not what IGN was implying.

Bartski

Gold Member
home streaming only handheld is such a weird idea, their next move has to be v 2.0 with cloud streaming on it via "trinty". It's gonna be huge, just not at launch.

I could see myself playing Returnal from my bed or something, but this is streaming only.. I understand in order to play PS5 games w/o streaming we're talking a 500 bucks device, but why doesn't it use Cloud? And no BT renders my Pulse useless.

There is too many things not right with this device. Should tank and pick up for half the price. Another PS Vita TV incoming.

So you don't like remote play but want Cloud that it's much worse?

I'm confused

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The idea that anyone will be using this while travelling?

Yeah… I don’t fucking think so. I travel a lot, and don’t leave my entire set up at home running while I’m away. I doubt many other people do either.

This shit is for a different room in the same house. That’s it.

MAtgS

Chances are this won't have much on-board storage or a slot for a micro SD so it ain't even all that good for hacking & putting android on.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A $200 brick without WI-FI, No Bluetooth(WTF), LCD screen....the price.....this is beyond niche....

happy-days-the-fonz.gif

"How many consoles are they expected to sell? after PlayStation Portal sends their stock directly to hell" - Eminem

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Been saying it..

Sony isn't jumping in on the streaming bandwagon of "play our games w/o a console."

Maybe in the future, but for now they want you buying a PS5 to play PS5 games.

nikos

I had no desire for this when it was revealed.

I pretty much never use my PS5.

I really don't like streaming games.

I still want it for some reason.

Maybe it'll bridge the gap between "should I get this on PC or Switch," for those few games I think I want on handheld for whatever reason but run like ass on Switch. Some people may say Steam Deck is the solution but that thing is a monstrosity. I think streaming, even locally, is still a deal breaker for me though.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Instead, every game has to be running on a PS5 you own, ideally on the same local network (fully remote streaming far from your PS5 is also available if you're willing to tolerate Internet-level latency).

Also, from IGN. themselves:

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Yeah… I don’t fucking think so. I travel a lot, and don’t leave my entire set up at home running while I’m away. I doubt many other people do either.

I agree it's mostly for using in the same house, but you don't need everything running to remote play to your PS5. If your PS5 is in rest mode at home and your settings are set to allow it, you can remote play from anywhere on your phone and your PS5 will pop on and connect.

Last edited:

Madjaba

The PS Portal is NOT for non-PS5 gamers. It's literally ONLY for people that already have a PS5. How can some of yall not understand this?
So don't compare its price to a stand alone console maybe ?

If you're a PS5 gamer then you already paid 450 to 500€/$ before paying for the Portal.

So the total cost is for both devices not only one.

Simple math and logic.

X-Wing

So, PlayStation Link is a bit more than just for the headsets. It's also how the Portal connects to the PlayStation 5.

People were hinting at 300 price, so 200 is definitely more in my buy territory. I'll have to see what it can do with reviews later.

SkylineRKR

So you don't like remote play but want Cloud that it's much worse?

I'm confused

You shouldn't be confused.

I said I can see myself playing Return from my bed, but this is streaming only. Which doesn't say I don't like it, but its less ideal than actual hardware. Which I understand because of price point.

Secondly I just ask why it doesn't feature cloud gaming. Remote play means you need to have the game installed on your PS5. With cloud you could try out some games. Its just strange that they are offering cloud gaming but not on this device. It means it would lock me out from my Premium content like PS3 classics.

So, PlayStation Link is a bit more than just for the headsets. It's also how the Portal connects to the PlayStation 5.

Yeah, I remember my PS Vita had a "Direct Mode" to connect with my PS4

This is gonna be much better, obviously, since 10 years have passed...

I expect video quality better than any other "local streaming" system, let alone cloud/internet streaming

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Didn't realize it could at least connect wirelessly to PlayStation headphones and that you can do remote play on the road. So it could still be useful on a trip.

This will sell much better than psvr2 due to broader appeal and obviously, price.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

It's such a disingenous argument: "you can use it on the other side of the world!"

Do you... leave your PS5 on at home when away on vacation? lol. I thought it was standard practice to unplug all the electronics before leaving your home for an extended period of time. Jesus.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

It's such a disingenous argument: "you can use it on the other side of the world!"

Do you... leave your PS5 on at home when away on vacation? lol. I thought it was standard practice to unplug all the electronics before leaving your home for an extended period of time. Jesus.

Yes true. I am away from home a few months a year and I always unplug all. Which... is why cloud gaming could be kind of useful on this frankenstein?

Wait so this thing can ONLY Remote Play with a single PS5 or PS5s in your immediate home network? You can't even Remote Play it with other PS5s unless (I'm guessing) you de-pair a license from your home PS5 network with a roaming PS5 network?

Bro, Jesus wept. It's like having a pair of shoes you can only wear for a specific outfit in your house. Even if you found that same outfit at another store in some other country, and rented it out, you'd be unable to wear those pair of shoes with it for...whatever reason.

Just kinda ridiculous restriction IMO.

Didn't realize it could at least connect wirelessly to PlayStation headphones and that you can do remote play on the road. So it could still be useful on a trip.

This will sell much better than psvr2 due to broader appeal and obviously, price.

Since when did Remote Play, which is even more niche than cloud gaming, suddenly have broader appeal? This is news to me.

You wanna know what has real broad appeal? A portable PlayStation that can natively play PS1, PS2, and PS4 games on the go AND Remote Play & cloud stream PS5 games.

That's actual broad appeal. Not whatever PlayStation Portable is.

Marvel14

Banned
Wow how avant garde are Nintendo that Sony is essentially copying their idea a decade later? And an idea that bombed hard too!

"You wanna know what has real broad appeal? A portable PlayStation that can natively play PS1, PS2, and PS4 games on the go AND Remote Play & cloud stream PS5 games."

You may well be describing the Nintendo Super Switch (minus the Sony games and the PS5 horsepower )

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
So approx $300 CAD (after taxes) for a small screen with a controller attached? That’s ridiculous with all the devices that support remote play already. Needs to offer more for that price point.

Portugeezer

Looks decent, but I won't be interested any time soon. Maybe a used system in a few years.

Well I’ve just completed Far Cry via PS5 Remote Play on my PC and it was one of the most horrendous experiences I’ve ever had. Laggy controls (30fps game though) and tons of macroblocking. Worse than PS Now streaming! And that was with both devices wired to the LAN.
Far Cry got a 60fps patch for PS5.

Aenima

You dont need to leave ur Playstation on. The device wakes up the console when you turn the PS Portal on. Same way you can turn on the console by pressing the PS button on a DS controller.

Top Bottom