• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is skipping Gamescom again this year

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't really get Sony's strategy, being serious. I think they want to market themselves as a prestige brand separate from gaming. Something like like Apple, or movies. Not saying that as a put down, but they seem to not want to really be associated with gaming branding events. They could bring Astrobot, Concord and Lego Horizon to the showfloor and let people there play it. Europe is a PS stronghold. They obviously do have enough money to afford a booth there if they want. This is a marketing strategy choice.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I'd rather they wait til January. We all know it's not coming out til March, why show us something 5 months early and then make us wait. All it does is hurt current Switch sales.
Because they’ll announce a Switch price drop at the same time right before the holidays. Hello record.

Sanepar

I'm fine with fewer PR drops, but they have to be somewhat frequent and predictable, and they have to be substantial.

Next showcase has to be a blowout. Like, 2015+2016 combined in terms of significant games getting shown off.
I think the hope for a showcase is vanishing...

Lilseb561

Neo Member
I don't really get Sony's strategy, being serious. I think they want to market themselves as a prestige brand separate from gaming. Something like like Apple, or movies. Not saying that as a put down, but they seem to not want to really be associated with gaming branding events. They could bring Astrobot, Concord and Lego Horizon to the showfloor and let people there play it. Europe is a PS stronghold. They obviously do have enough money to afford a booth there if they want. This is a marketing strategy choice.

Exactly. They have plenty of games to show. Their 1st party studios have been working on many projects. People are claiming it's because they have nothing as if they are just sitting around and doing nothing. I'd argue this is a deliberate choice to skip these events and it's odd. If they were doing their own showcase or PS event then that's fine but they are not even doing that.

Last edited:

fallingdove

what game ? aside from gaas shit and third party moneyhat, what "game development" ? We are 4 and half years into this gen and we know jack, what their big first party studios are working ? there is no hype.
You would have preferred they show CG trailers for their games at every one of these events or drip feed you on the same games over and over? Seems pretty stupid to me and a total waste of resources.

Also — only Xbox fanboys care about whether or not 3rd party exclusives were moneyhats. These are games that (in many cases) I can only play on a PlayStation console and have greatly expanded my backlog. I have no time for hype and some constant barrage of first party titles.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FUu8Rdn.png

Damigos

I predict a showcase revealing the PS5 pro later this year.
I predict 3-4 more state of plays.
Then i predict a huge playstation showcase revealing PS6 around March 2026. Releasing holiday 2026 with Bloodborne as exclusive.
I predict you will all love it and wait in lines to buy it.

But what do i know

SJRB

Gold Member
I was tempted to make this thread earlier today but then I realized they never said they'd be at Gamescom and in fact haven't been to Gamescom in five years so this is only really news in the sense that it's news that Sony is skipping my birthday party again this year.

FeralEcho

This company has become so devoid of passion. Their communication with the fans this entire gen has been appaling.

Meanwhile Nintendo and Xbox this year on Sony's cuck face.
combo teabag GIF

Don't worry though guys, I'm sure Marvel's Wokeverine will get some new leaks soon enough since that's the only fucking way to get some news out of Sony Studios these days.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I honestly think Sony is just stacking their pipeline and moving towards shorter times between announcements and releases, allowing them to release things strategically and polished rather than putting pressure on themselves. Nintendo seem to have done similar.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I honestly think Sony is just stacking their pipeline and moving towards shorter times between announcements and releases, allowing them to release things strategically and polished rather than putting pressure on themselves. Nintendo seem to have done similar.
They've said this many times in the past. They even mentioned similar to Apple's approach.

nial

Gold Member
People still don't understand it after Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon Adventures, even Helldivers 2 was aiming for this before it got delayed into 2024.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This company has become so devoid of passion. Their communication with the fans this entire gen has been appaling.

Meanwhile Nintendo and Xbox this year on Sony's cuck face.
combo teabag GIF

Don't worry though guys, I'm sure Marvel's Wokeverine will get some new leaks soon enough since that's the only fucking way to get some news out of Sony Studios these days.

Microsoft is just as bad as “Wokeverine”. You know that, right?

FeralEcho

Microsoft is just as bad as “Wokeverine”. You know that, right?
Of course they are, it's 2024.Nintendo seems to be the one with the least woke shit out there but every company is terrible nowadays in regards to that.

But at least even MS showed what the hell they have in store for their fans while Sony's communication with their fans seems to be through leaks and whatever the hell that pathetic State of Play was supposed to be.

Alebrije

Unless Sony really has a PS5 PRO for this year do not SEE anything Big before 2024 ends.

They are working on games but still nothing to show so 2025 surely Will be the year of great reveals.

Keep your expectactions low for 2024 and won't be dissapointed

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Sony isn’t there due to the September Pro reveal and Nintendo didn’t there due to the October Switch 2 direct.
Be nice if they showed them off to consumers at a live show and let us customers have a go on them before release like back in the good old days.

Over It Im Done GIF by Jasmine Masters

remember when Sony was all about hype and first party games ? now we just need to wait for another patetic SoP or Showcase... fuck you Sony
+1! there is like 1% light of hope inside me that they are building something sooooo crazy that it will blast our brains off but every year I just lose a little bit of that hope left. Something that could rival that E3 Demo where they showcased Uncharted 2

eerik9000

Yeah, a shame. They were just at Summer Game Fest demoing Astro Bot and LEGO Horizon. Why not demo those (and more) to European press as well? Unless they are planning to do their own worldwide press circuit near the rumoured PS5 Pro announcement.

Jaybe

Gold Member
September showcase for Pro and hopefully they pull back the curtain and share some 2025/2026 games. Never understood why companies are clinging to June dates, since E3 is dead. Better to have big announcements just before the holiday buying season, not before the dead of summer.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets be honest, these days most games are bought digitally so we don't even venture into shops to look at games that often. In that environment how much sense does it make to have big public showcases or trade-fairs?

Its certainly not catering to the majority of the market.

I miss the big mega conferences like E3. I'm glad I was able to go myself a few years in the mid 2000s as it was quite the experience.

But the pure hype and excitement that came from E3 every year with major announcements from all kinds of players was riveting. I'm not against these more frequent, minor shows peppered throughout the year but by nature very few of them have that kind of megaton hype.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
we know Play Station was in internal turmoil (Layoffs on top executives and a complete restructuring).
a bunch of delays/cancelations and they are trying to figure out a new way to run their business under two CEOs.

Fbh

Well at least I'm happy about hardcore playstation fans who must be thrilled about finally getting the sony with little to no competition that they've always wanted

I expect whatever Sony does in this timeframe- has to be bigger than what we have seen.
It's time.

You know "The next showcase, which has to be coming soon, will be insane" is slowly becoming the PS version of the "next year will be the best one ever" on Xbox lol

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I predict a showcase revealing the PS5 pro later this year.
I predict 3-4 more state of plays.
Then i predict a huge playstation showcase revealing PS6 around March 2026. Releasing holiday 2026 with Bloodborne as exclusive.
I predict you will all love it and wait in lines to buy it.

But what do i know

The PS4 Pro was released in 2016, three years after the PS4 was released and four years before the PS5 was released.

If Sony releases a PS5 Pro this year then we're at roughly the midway point of this console generation. The PS6 will be released in either 2027 or 2028.

Hugare

That GAAS initiative and now backtracking must be doing wonders for their pipeline, huh?

Hopefuly Sucker Punch will show GoT 2 until the end of the year. I also expect at least a small teaser for Naughty Dog's next game.

I doubt that Sony Santa Monica or Guerilla has developed anything meaningful since their last games. And they've killed Japan Studios.

Last edited:

eerik9000

And they've killed Japan Studios.
Astro Bot is coming out in September while Rise of Ronin and Stellar Blade were released earlier this year. All three would have the Japan Studio logo on them if it had not been reorganised into Team Asobi and XDEV Japan.

Last edited:

IDappa

Why so dramatic? lol when the games are ready to show they'll show them. Unlike their competition I'd rather they wait until the game looks great and will be out within a year and not keep showing "in engine" stuff or game we won't be able to play for 2-3 years or in some cases longer.
Yeah really sucks getting to see upcoming games.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
That GAAS initiative and now backtracking must be doing wonders for their pipeline, huh?

Hopefuly Sucker Punch will show GoT 2 until the end of the year. I also expect at least a small teaser for Naughty Dog's next game.

I doubt that Sony Santa Monica or Guerilla has developed anything meaningful since their last games. And they've killed Japan Studios.
Japan Studios was doing nothing meaningful anyway.

well, thats you, i didnt pay U$499 for a multiplat machine, if i wanted a multplat machine i would've bought a Xbox. I bought a PS5 for first party exclusives and guess what ? we are 4 and half year into this gen and we have nothing ( first party related ) to be hyped for, if wasn't for Sony moneyhating a lot of third party devs we would be in a worst situation that PS3 was in the beginning of its life cycle.

About showing "in engine" stuff this is the annoucement of GoW 2018

it was 2 years of waiting and pure hype, thats part of gaming too, not that shadowdrop shit that has being happening nowadays.

We've had a lot more actual 1st party content than the competition so far, Sony didn't go out and buy publishers to fill the holes and take credit for games they had nothing to do with making. Yes they've spent money on buying up exclusive games from third parties (a practice I wish they would all stop end, it's a waste of money) but many of their bigger studios released games late in the PS4 generation and it takes time to get new ones out the door. I'd rather they take their time than hurry things up. Forbidden West is nowhere near as good as the first game, the only good thing about it is the visuals, Spider-Man 2 was good but not as good as the first game either. I don't want Sony rushing product out the door, there will be things coming out next year, we already know what we are getting this year and yeah it's a bit of a dry period but that's the world we live in.

Showing something at gamescom won't put it in your hands any sooner, hell if the rumors are true they'll have their own event a little while later anyway.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sad to see that they default to trash State of Plays. Low effort and still being rewarded for it. People must love eatin dicks.

I dnt think they have anything first party releasing this fall and early next year so no point it announcing now and telling a 2025 fall release date.
Maybe wolverine is next year early but whatever naughty dog is cooking still feels like 2025 fall at least.

IDappa

If they aren't ready to show it does. I want to see what's coming too but I don't want to see it before it's ready to show, if you can't show me actual gameplay what's the point?
Mixture of both imo, you need things that are coming in the future and gameplay for projects closer to release. That way every year you can show gameplay of the teased/announced projects and gameplay of the past year teased projects that are releasing.

You can’t be MiA for so long because you’re waiting until you’re at the 8 month release date mark. People get bored

Top Bottom