• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is skipping Gamescom again this year

Stooky

Of course they are, it's 2024.Nintendo seems to be the one with the least woke shit out there but every company is terrible nowadays in regards to that.

But at least even MS showed what the hell they have in store for their fans while Sony's communication with their fans seems to be through leaks and whatever the hell that pathetic State of Play was supposed to be.
yeah and took xbox nearly 2 console generations and 70bill to get to this point. sony can skip a show to get their lineup situated

Last edited:

Rockman33

Xbox just had a Showcase outlining their next 3 years. Playstation had a State of Play showing the next 6 months of releases. And as much as us die hard gamers enjoy big showcases, the casuals and average gamers dont watch or care. Nobody is buying games for games that are 2+ years away

Playstation will care if the narrative flips to Xbox releasing higher quality games than Playstation. That would move the needle for many gamers, not bigger showcases
Pretty much every game Xbox showed this showcase will be scheduled for release by 2025. So 18 months. Which is the acceptable window for showcases in most circles. Gears and PD might be the exceptions not hitting 2025.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We'll have to see what Gamescom's attendance looks like this year. So far, it hasn't recovered its pre-pandemic levels.

Regardless of its fate, none of these companies need it. Certainly not Sony or Nintendo. They could never show up to Gamescom ever again and be perfectly fine. Sony has been, and they're both skipping it this year.

320K people went to Gamescom last year, compared to 270K in 2022. It's back on the upswing.

For reference, the last gamescom before the world shat its collective bed (2019) had 370k visitors.

This year will likely reach back those same numbers. It's a huge event and one of the biggest publishers and platform holders skipping it is definitely a noteworthy omission.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
People aren’t crusading for game conferences but e3 were historic displays and at the same time it was an organized event to display information.

Varteras

Gold Member
320K people went to Gamescom last year, compared to 270K in 2022. It's back on the upswing.

For reference, the last gamescom before the world shat its collective bed (2019) had 370k visitors.

This year will likely reach back those same numbers.

I'm aware. I said we'll have to see. It might, it might not. But again, Sony and Nintendo don't need it. It's big for Europeans who make it there. Asia and NA don't care. Overall, it won't change anything for Nintendo or Sony to not show up. Well, won't change anything for them. For the event, well, that could be a downer for attendees...

FeralEcho

yeah and took xbox nearly 2 console generations and 70bill to get to this point. sony can skip a show to get their lineup situated
That doesn't mean Sony is allowed to be complacent or treat their fans with silence constantly just because Xbox constantly messes everything up. That's on Xbox not Sony,Sony shouldn't get to use that as an excuse for their lackluster showing.

Varteras

Gold Member
That doesn't mean Sony is allowed to be complacent or treat their fans with silence constantly just because Xbox constantly messes everything up. That's on Xbox not Sony,Sony shouldn't get to use that as an excuse for their lackluster showing.

They've released plenty of games so far. They just announced several more. Showcase season isn't even over yet and we've already written off Sony having any kind of show, despite a refresh coming? Sony missed having a showcase one time and now people pretend they always do that? Let's grow up a little.

Dry your eyes, ArtHands ArtHands . I know your favorite box ain't doing so well but you'll make it.

Last edited:
Pretty much every game Xbox showed this showcase will be scheduled for release by 2025. So 18 months. Which is the acceptable window for showcases in most circles. Gears and PD might be the exceptions not hitting 2025.
Right now for 2025, Xbox only has Fable and South of Midnight as their exclusive releases. Maybe Clockwork Revolutions makes 2025, but that isn't a big AAA game, neither is South of Midnight. It's not some crazy schedule of banger after banger for Xbox. It's spread out across 2.5 years(maybe more)

Neolombax

Gold Member
That's fine. Xbox will announce the games on PS anyway...

...sorry, wanted to try to take a jab. Jokes aside, didn't they already announce no major first party releases until 2025?

Rockman33

Right now for 2025, Xbox only has Fable and South of Midnight as their exclusive releases. Maybe Clockwork Revolutions makes 2025, but that isn't a big AAA game, neither is South of Midnight. It's not some crazy schedule of banger after banger for Xbox. It's spread out across 2.5 years(maybe more)
Only time will tell when they release.

I think you’re in denial if you don’t think that showcase was a banger.

FeralEcho

They've released plenty of games so far. They just announced several more. Showcase season isn't even over yet and we've already written off Sony having any kind of show, despite a refresh coming? Sony missed having a showcase one time and now people pretend they always do that? Let's grow up a little.
Last year's showcase was shit too...this is not a one time thing which is the problem here.

I own all 3 consoles so I'm not out of games to play but compared to the Sony during PS3/PS4 era,which I was the biggest fan of,this Sony is incredibly dissapointing.

Only time will tell when they release.

I think you’re in denial if you don’t think that showcase was a banger.
It was a great showcase, i never denied that. I thought it was just dumb comparing Xbox showcase to Playstation's State of Play. They were attempting to accomplish two very different things

Last edited:

Stooky

treat the fans with silence? they just did a show wtf are you talking about? you might have liked they show but it happened. damn xbox has 1 good show… the xbox games aren’t even released yet….wow

Rockman33

It was a great showcase, i never denied that. I thought it was just dumb comparing Xbox showcase to Playstation's State of Play. They were attempting to showcase two very different things
Context usually doesn’t matter for these things. They are viewed on what was shown. After 2-3 years of bad-decent showcases from Sony they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. If they come out with a banger, myself and many others will celebrate and be thrilled. But until then they deserve all the negative attention they are getting and deserve.

Just skip everything. Sell the business to someone who cares about video games instead of just posting profits.
Yeah...the way they just gave up this year...we're only getting new IPs (Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Concord), sequels (FFVII Rebirth, Helldivers 2), one remaster (TLOU2), one remake (Until Dawn), Astrobot getting its first main entry without VR (and one of the best games shown this past month), Horizon getting its Lego game as well.

I honestly don't know how Sony will survive by releasing just a lots of great games like this...they should just be worried about conferences and giving us "tHe mEgAtOnS" with no definite release dates :(

That's why i have my PS5...to watch trailers of games releasing in 3 / 5 years...not to play them.

Context usually doesn’t matter for these things. They are viewed on what was shown. After 2-3 years of bad-decent showcases from Sony they no longer get the benefit of the doubt. If they come out with a banger, myself and many others will celebrate and be thrilled. But until then they deserve all the negative attention they are getting and deserve.
Yeah, Xbox put out a great showcase last year, way better than Sony, but weirdly the only game Xbox has released this entire year Is Hellblade 2. Maybe putting on a great showcase isn't indicative how good the platform is?

nial

Gold Member
Are we seriously pretending that Sony doesn't have the best output this year out of the big three?
And no, I'm not even counting Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, since that game is published by Square Enix.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Last year's showcase was shit too...this is not a one time thing which is the problem here.

I own all 3 consoles so I'm not out of games to play but compared to the Sony during PS3/PS4 era,which I was the biggest fan of,this Sony is incredibly dissapointing.

A bad showcase is still a showcase. Again, we've got people pretending that Sony always just doesn't have one like 2022. The 2023 showcase was rough. No doubt. But you know what? That show featured Helldivers 2 at the start. No one knew then how big that game was going to be. Had they had any idea then, that would have been a big deal. It also featured the trailer for The Final Shape, which has turned out to be a banger expansion that people were writing off after Lightfall. Myself included. Could Marathon end up in the same hindsight? Might Concord (please no)? Fairgames (kill me)? It's quite possible. In fact, it is entirely possible that we look back at that showcase and think, "Well damn. A lot of those games were a much bigger deal than I thought then". The constant CG trailers and no gameplay was the real sin from Sony.

Not liking what they showed is not them being silent. They have absolutely been telling us what's coming next. They just did a State of Play, which was never intended to be a showcase level event. Yet despite people knowing that, they still went into it with that expectation. That's on them. We still got a pleasantly surprising announcement of Astro Bot, gameplay, and it releasing this year. Fuck's sake, people are already pegging it as a big GOTY contender. We got gameplay of Concord (barf) and a release date for this year. Then a LEGO Horizon announcement, with gameplay, and a release date of this year. They're not quiet. You just don't like what they've shown. And that's fine if none of that is your cup of tea. But, that's not the same as them doing nothing. It's only problematic to you because what they've shown hasn't catered to what you like and you're not getting what you want exactly when you want it. But it's not an objective reality for everyone and we know they have plenty of studios making games that, sooner or later, we'll see.

Honestly, if you really do play all these various platforms but you're this shook over Sony not doing a showcase when you expect it, that's kinda weird. Let's also keep in mind that showcase hype doesn't equal subsequent badass years for games from that platform holder. Ask anyone not blinded by bias how true that statement is.

ZehDon

Sony already had their show. It was not well received. And just like last year, folks immediately moved on to "Sony's actually got a secret second show - and that show will be the good one!". I imagine we'll get a short PS5 Pro event, which will basically just show Spider-Man 2 and TLOU2 running at 4k60 before ending with a release date. And that'll be it for PlayStation for 2024.

Sony won. They own the home console space. They don't need to get their first party dressed up to dazzle any more. They don't need to win audiences over on their hardware. They don't need to put in the effort, because at this point all they can do is hurt themselves. They just need to stick to their "two games a year" plan, keep their mouths shout, and let their consoles sell themselves.

Varteras

Gold Member
Sony already had their show. It was not well received. And just like last year, folks immediately moved on to "Sony's actually got a secret second show - and that show will be the good one!". I imagine we'll get a short PS5 Pro event, which will basically just show Spider-Man 2 and TLOU2 running at 4k60 before ending with a release date. And that'll be it for PlayStation for 2024.

Bookmarking this. If Sony has a showcase, you owe me sexual favors. If they don't, DeepEnigma DeepEnigma owes you sexual favors.

Rockman33

Yeah, Xbox put out a great showcase last year, way better than Sony, but weirdly the only game Xbox has released this entire year Is Hellblade 2. Maybe putting on a great showcase isn't indicative how good the platform is?
Common man. Their second half is avowed, Microsoft flight simulator 2024, starfield DLC expansion, Indiana jones and COD(if you count that). Pretty stacked. If they were smart they would delay Indy or avowed to January/feb.

reinking

Gold Member
Sponge Bob Reaction GIF

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Common man. Their second half is avowed, Microsoft flight simulator 2024, starfield DLC expansion, Indiana jones and COD(if you count that). Pretty stacked. If they were smart they would delay Indy or avowed to January/feb.
And Age of Mythology.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
I remember Andrew House (or was it Shawn Layden) saying that even if these games dont sell all that well, they are important for the portfolio.
There's small and then there's insignificant. Gravity Rush 2 brought in 10.7 million. 10.7 million. Way, way less than 400k sales.

It's just not worth it when your teams could be doing something that matters. The game industry can't act like it's 2010 anymore. There's too much useless crap out. Less at higher impact. Shawn Layden might be on podcasts talking in direct contradiction to his actions during his last years at PlayStation, but he did both say and act accordingly to that.

Demons Souls (a game that Japan Studio also assisted, btw) was small, not selling all that well when it launched. See how big Souls games are right now.
Souls wasn't what it was because of Japan Studio dude. Unless Sony bought FromSoftware, they were never going to lock down Miyazaki output.

A lot of people buy Playstation consoles to play Spider-man, but a lot dont. You want a diverse portfolio to sell consoles for those. Games like Astrobot are important, and we would have more of those with Japan Studios.

I would bet that some people bought PS4's to play TLG.
How many? 10? Honest question.

You are mid
Last Guardian was a mid decade long dev disaster. It might not be nice to hear, but it's the truth. Most of the love for Japan Studio, like Tango Gameworks, is posthumous.

This doesnt make any fucking sense. Team Ninja is 3rd party.
So were FromSoft???
Anything marginally Sony XDev adjacent in Japan for a game of that scale would've probably had a Japan Studios logo on it.

Yeah, Nintendo, Capcom and Sega are totally at the brink of being broke
So a company with 30-40 year old IP aimed at juveniles, a company that has molded itself in the image of western publishers and is living on the back of Remakes and ports with a few actually new games sprinkled in, and a company that isn't even popping off like that.

I didn't say anything about anyone going broke. But if you think the Japan dev scene is the ceiling of what anyone wants to achieve in this market, you're stuck in '03.

Fredrik

we are 4 and half year into this gen and we have nothing ( first party related ) to be hyped for
They’ve released 10(?) first party games this gen plus published a bunch of big 3rd party timed exclusives too.

When is next gen expected? 2027? 2028?
At this point, if Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Housemarque would release new titles within 1-2 years it means that they would have nothing except high resolution/framerate remasters for half next generation.
I don’t know, is that great?
They could also keep cooking and have a smashing launch period for PS6 instead.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I’m big fan of Japanese games, Sony used to do more Japanese first party games but this gen they almost exclusively switch to western first party.

This is why for my taste 3rd party delivering on more of the games I enjoy more than Sony and Microsoft.

True, but those days are done.

They tried with Last Guardian, Gravity Rush and many more and it just continued to be a money pit. They are not bad games by any means, but this is still a business. I can't even say that is east or west thing, its not like making a western game under Sony is a 100% sure fire way to continue to make games with them, we've seen many teams close down in the west, we've seen many western IP not get sequels.
I think the success of titles like Persona, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and many more is what led Sony to just shift directions and focus on successful titles and teams

Put it like this, your taste for 3rd party games from the east is why Sony doesn't do those first party titles in Japan anymore to the same degree. ie you are buying a Playstation regardless to play some of those IP, thus they have little reason to dedicate studios to make the genre when they are getting majority sales in that area anyway.

So titles like God Of War, Horizon, The Last Of Us, Spiderman, Ghost Of Tsushima (solid evidence mind you that Sony seems to have nothing against Japan itself) If Ghost Of Tsushima was created by Japan Studio instead of Sucker Punch, they'd 100% keep them around.

Until their Japan teams make some 20 million type hit, it will always been a bit of house of cards there until they can create some massive hit. Its why Astro Boy is even getting sequels and they are hiring more for that team.

They sold units, they got support.

To even get it to be like the old days, Sony would likely need to buy Square to solidify themselves or something in that JRPG spot (or Sega, but more so Square)

but I digress lol (we funa talk about JRPGS for life lol)

RickMasters

the well has dried up
This is why they need some smaller AA teams. This focus on Big AAA games that Cost hundreds of millions and years to make but never meet their ‘expected’ profit forcasts is part of their problem.

At some point it’s gonna set in with people that the PlayStation company of the PS2 era is gone. Yet Sony are more reliant on Sony than ever for profits in Playstation. They need to figure this out.

RickMasters

I’m big fan of Japanese games, Sony used to do more Japanese first party games but this gen they almost exclusively switch to western first party.

This is why for my taste 3rd party delivering on more of the games I enjoy more than Sony and Microsoft.

I’d say that change came about around the PS4. Grabbing a COD deal…. The focus on western games, specifically first and third person shooters. The focus on monetising their online strategy ( remember when online was free on PS?) the closure of theo own Japanese studios, but rather smartly doubling down on Japanese third party to fill that gap while they spend their own money on western developed games.

Nothing wrong with any of that…. But it certainly marked a changes in their approach to the console business. The PS4 was more like an Xbox 360 than a PlayStation. It was very western. But Playstation is still Japanese so they wil what’s have Japanese support almost by default.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Remember a couple years ago all the Sony fan boys bending over backwards to support the GaaS initiative? Maybe if people weren’t so caught up in console wars Sony would have gotten the feedback they needed…
Actually, no. PlayStation fanatics were the most skeptical and reactionary to Sony's live service strategy. It also wasn't them that spent an entire gen thinly veiling console wars jealously in appeals that Sony needed to do something other than "the cinematic movie game 3rd person template" that shows its hypocritical nature whenever a Hellblade 2 comes up.

And no amount of whining on Neogaf was going to stop Sony from attempting the live service sphere. Not while Genshin impact makes more in profit from animu skins than the top games do in sales.

Crazy to think Sony has 2 1st party announced single player games to look forward to
3. Astro, Death Stranding, Wolverine. I would even count Venom. We all know it's coming.

and Xbox has 10+. Never thought I’d see the day the narrative completely flipped.
10+ where? I count 8 including Clockwork. And that's easy to do when you outline the next 3-4 years of your schedule after having bought 2 publishers, and as many mid-size studios with a shred of credibility as there were in the industry at the time.

nial

Gold Member
PS4 era Sony focusing more on Western games, AND specifically first and third-person shooters? That sounds like PS3 era Sony, lol.

RickMasters

This is the single worst take I have ever read in my life.
I don't even know which Japanese studio Sony closed in the PS4 era.
You’re entitled to your opinion. 🤷🏾‍♂️… doesn’t make mine wrong just because you disagree though. Where’s team ICO these days? It’s just PD, for GT, team adobi and that robot game. What happened to the rest of them But that’s the worst take right? And they say Xbox guys were defensive? 🙄

Last edited:
I don't give a shit. They'll have their showcase when they decide to have it.

It's not like I'm lacking games to play on my PS5.

I don't play showcases, I play games, and out of the three Sony has been consistently feeding me with great games since the year started.

I don't understand the constant whining I see when Sony says they aren't showing up with a showcase. I love getting hyped for showcases but at the end of the day releasing games matters more, and Sony isn't lacking in that department this year at all. I know Sony's first party is working on stuff, it's a bit annoying they are taking their sweet time but I think most of us know they will be bangers whenever Sony decides to finally reveal them. It's not like Sony is known for releasing trash or missing the mark like MS has been doing for years now. MS had one great showcase after years which I loved but they still have to deliver the games as shown before they get any credit from me.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
You’re entitled to your opinion. 🤷🏾‍♂️… doesn’t make mine wrong just because you disagree though. Where’s team ICO these days? It’s just team adobi and that robot game. But that’s the worst take right? And they say Xbox guys were defensive? 🙄
I quoted what I thought was the worst take, your other points are simply dumb.
Imagine bringing up Team Ico when Fumito Ueda hasn't been working at SCE since... 2011.
Plus, Team Asobi (as its own studio) wasn't a thing until after PS5 was released.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Imagine preferring flashy showcases over actual games.

This is a weird take….

Nintendo and Xbox had showcases for games they having coming out this year and next. That’s the whole point of a showcase…..what exactly are you saying other than Sony don’t need to have a showcase because they have nothing besides Afro it to talk about this year….

What are you even saying?

Yes, let's ignore everything released exclusively on PS this year, or past years, and pump up big shows because that's what MS focuses on. "This is going to be our best year" emptily promised every year and with no delivery. Now, even if it is their best year, it'll be PS's, too, since most of their games are now going to be multiplat.

Of course, you know isn't ignoring the PS exclusive output and MS's lack of it? Actual gamers. Hence why sales are like they are, now. PS5 slightly done from its best year ever and Xbox continuing to drop after one of its worst. But you keep that astroturfing alive. It'll pay off one day, I'm sure.

Embearded

If i had to choose between paying others to participate in their show or do my own in the form of videos and have the participants pay me, i wonder which one i would choose....

It's been years since Sony started doing their own thing and one by one they turn down the established shows and expos. People saying they have nothing to show need a reality check.

nial

Gold Member
because they have nothing besides Afro it to talk about this year….
I don't know what's Afro, but besides it? Astro Bot, Until Dawn, Lego Horizon, and Concord, despite of how much we dislike it. But hey, they already published bigger stuff in H1, what did MS have besides fuckin' Hellblade 2?

Top Bottom