• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation is skipping Gamescom again this year

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
I predict a showcase revealing the PS5 pro later this year.
I predict 3-4 more state of plays.
Then i predict a huge playstation showcase revealing PS6 around March 2026. Releasing holiday 2026 with Bloodborne as exclusive.
I predict you will all love it and wait in lines to buy it.

But what do i know
Would be strange to release the Pro then a few months later announce the PS6

Last edited:

Hugare

Japan Studios was doing nothing meaningful anyway.
Puppeteer was awesome, so was Gravity Rush.

They've also helped with Bloodborne and The Last Guardian.

Stellar Blade was ok, so was Rise of the Ronin, but the were no really great games from Sony in Japan for a long time now.

And I dont think its a coincidence.

Rockman33

Remember a couple years ago all the Sony fan boys bending over backwards to support the GaaS initiative? Maybe if people weren’t so caught up in console wars Sony would have gotten the feedback they needed…

Crazy to think Sony has 2 1st party announced single player games to look forward to and Xbox has 10+. Never thought I’d see the day the narrative completely flipped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sad to see that they default to trash State of Plays. Low effort and still being rewarded for it. People must love eatin dicks.
If they're getting rewarded, that means the majority doesn't give a shit about these shows and enjoys their output of games, no?

FWIW, like most of us forum dwellers, we like to be entertained with shows. Understandable as well, but we're the major minority. Sadly.

TVexperto

i actually miss those days.

06WVIxgrglFOzCmbboXxAsI-2..v1569491717.jpg

now everything is scripted and boring

simpatico

Wonder what they will do with all the signage they printed up for the Concord booths at the shows. I wonder if they can send it to starving kids, like the super bowl t shirts printed for the losing team. They could have a mini Concord village perhaps. If the reception to that was warmer would Sony be doing more press this summer?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If they're getting rewarded, that means the majority doesn't give a shit about these shows and enjoys their output of games, no?

FWIW, like most of us forum dwellers, we like to be entertained with shows. Understandable as well, but we're the major minority. Sadly.
True. The core doesn't care. And even if we forum dwellers stop rewarding them for low effort in their presentations, we are just a drop in the bucket. They already have the mindshare, so as far as business goes...it makes sense. Why put forth greater effort to promote yourself when you ARE the household name.

It also would explain why Xbox having a fantastic show barely moves the needle for the core base of gamers. I think it helps create mindshare for Gamepass...but Xbox...as a console? "We got PS5 for that" is what I imagine the unplugged would say.

Edit:
I should add that PS5 PRo is still coming and rationing their announcements to around the time that console is ready also makes good business sense.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Eh, SIE has four releases around and after Gamescom, and they can obviously show any new stuff over there, they just choose not to.

This.

Sony, Nintendo, Rockstar and many more do not feel the need to go to events like this any longer and for them, it makes complete sense.

They can dominate the media cycle by doing their own events. Look at Nintendo's last direct, the attention is currently on them. How the fuck they doing that with hundreds of other announcements going on? Its worthless, it gives them nothing, it literally hurts them if anything as you are now spending more money, to be put out a trailer on a day hundreds of others are doing so....

That random trailer or event on your own is not only cheaper, people will literally not STFU about you for the next week.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that these shows are dead, they are still useful for lots of publishers, smaller teams etc, but the big publishers need not waste time or energy wasting marketing dollars on such a crowded event. The goal is to have all eyes on you and if that can happen on a random ass Tuesday, most publishers would rather do that and have the internet do nothing but talk about them for the next week.

Alleyezonme.jpg

Nydius

Gold Member
Agreed but yet there will be certain people saying E3 and big shows are just a waste of time and money……. Morons.

The only morons are people stuck in the past, when trade shows were necessary in the days prior to the internet, or the early days of the internet where it was still better to have in person gatherings to showcase your newest products.

Those days are gone. It's not economically worthwhile to spend the time or money on one or two big annual shows when you can spend significantly less and generate multiple waves of PR "hype" over the course of the year.

I find all this nostalgic looking back at E3 hilarious given how every year people would be around here bitching and moaning about how what was shown was nothing like the games that eventually came out. How E3 led us to discussions about vertical slices and bullshots. Everyone around here is pining for shows they'd watch and then spend the next week shitting on.

Trade shows are a relic of the past. They're dying across all industries. Even CES is fading.

ProtoByte

Gold Member
Puppeteer was awesome, so was Gravity Rush.
Nobody bought them. Can't be surprised. If MediaMolecule fails again, they'll get shut down. Would you be surprised by that.

Like, Astro Bot is probably going to wind up blowing everything original from Japan Studio out of the water.

They've also helped with Bloodborne and The Last Guardian.
Last Guardian was mid.

Stellar Blade was ok, so was Rise of the Ronin, but the were no really great games from Sony in Japan for a long time now.
As has been said before, Rise of The Ronin would probably have a Japan Studios logo on it if they were still around.

And I dont think its a coincidence.
I think it's a coincidence of timing. The Japanese game industry isn't in the same position it was before.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Garbage company right now. Anyone in denial is naive. Their focus right now GAAS trash mixed in with some AA level games

Positive note: PS5 will have the greatest end of gen run of games in history. Could be one banger after banger after GOTY after another to end the gen. It should be

Last edited:

Rockman33

There is at least one game that I'm excited about.
8f15268257b878597757fcc5f2c9545840867bc71fc863b1.png

Other than this Sony own 1st party almost has nothing for me.....no different than Xbox from my perspective.
Astro bot looks fun. Nothing exceptional though.

Out of curiosity though what are you looking for if nothing from the Xbox showcase isn’t for you? I thought Doom, south of midnight, gears, avowed and fable all looked really great.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Astro bot looks fun. Nothing exceptional though.

Out of curiosity though what are you looking for if nothing from the Xbox showcase isn’t for you? I thought Doom, south of midnight, gears, avowed and fable all looked really great.
I’m big fan of Japanese games, Sony used to do more Japanese first party games but this gen they almost exclusively switch to western first party.

This is why for my taste 3rd party delivering on more of the games I enjoy more than Sony and Microsoft.

ByWatterson

When will you guys realize that game conventions cater to an even smaller audienve than YouTube, which is already a tiny fraction of overall gamers?

The ROI for shows like these is probably infinitesimal.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
And they've killed Japan Studios.
Japan Studios was doing nothing meaningful anyway.
This would have been Japan Studio's output thus far had SIE not done the big reorganization in April 2021:
-Astro's Playroom
-Demon's Souls
-Death Stranding: Director's Cut (Kojima Productions)
-Rise of the Ronin (Koei Tecmo Games)
-Astro Bot (with much less budget, that's for sure)
-Death Stranding 2: On the Beach (Kojima Productions)
-And NONE of the other Asian games like Stellar Blade, Convallaria and Lost Soul Aside.
This is Japan Studio's legacy ever since their establishment in September 2005, a mess of a division housing several teams without any clear direction, and a bunch of external producers arguably carrying the whole thing.
If Astro Bot ends up being the most successful title developed by SCEI since Gran Turismo 1 (before Polyphony Digital took over the series), they'll have to ask themselves what the hell they were doing in the past 23 years.
You know "The next showcase, which has to be coming soon, will be insane" is slowly becoming the PS version of the "next year will be the best one ever" on Xbox lol
It's kinda telling that one is about showcases, and the other about actual games.
Fixed that for you
Gran Turismo 8 and Horizon 3 will 100% be released before Wolverine, lol.

nial

Gold Member
FYI, WWS Japan Studio was not replaced by either Team Asobi or XDEV, but rather by a division called PlayStation Studios (there are three of these around the world) inside Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. in Tokyo. They also do other stuff like Japanese localization of SIE's Western games.

nial

Gold Member
They have nothing to show due to desastre management of first party studios from the start of ps5 era
You people seriously need to explain this, because I'm not seeing it aside from Media Molecule (which has kinda been a clusterfuck since the PS Vita era), and arguably Naughty Dog.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nobody bought them. Can't be surprised. If MediaMolecule fails again, they'll get shut down. Would you be surprised by that.
I remember Andrew House (or was it Shawn Layden) saying that even if these games dont sell all that well, they are important for the portfolio.

Demons Souls (a game that Japan Studio also assisted, btw) was small, not selling all that well when it launched. See how big Souls games are right now.

A lot of people buy Playstation consoles to play Spider-man, but a lot dont. You want a diverse portfolio to sell consoles for those. Games like Astrobot are important, and we would have more of those with Japan Studios.

I would bet that some people bought PS4's to play TLG.
Last Guardian was mid.
You are mid

As has been said before, Rise of The Ronin would probably have a Japan Studios logo on it if they were still around.
This doesnt make any fucking sense. Team Ninja is 3rd party.

I think it's a coincidence of timing. The Japanese game industry isn't in the same position it was before.
Yeah, Nintendo, Capcom and Sega are totally at the brink of being broke

Yet Sony has skipped them regardless of lineup. I also remember how "safe" E3 was. That Nintendo was crazy for distancing themselves. How Sony was crazy for doing it, too. How they left the door wide open for Xbox. Then E3 died and people suddenly weren't surprised. E3 was opened up to the public as well. That didn't save it. Some argued it made it worse.
Nintendo never distanced. They were there through 2019 alongside Xbox even after the gaping void was left by Sony not going that year. Nintendo never stopped exhibiting, it was a huge focus of theirs. E3 simply died once Covid hit and so Nintendo couldn’t go anymore. And same with Xbox.

But my main point is that Gamescom isn’t slowly dying due to lack of participant interest and a reason for existing. That was E3’s issue the last few years. Originally it was intended as a way for press and retailers to see products that they would be selling later in the year. Once the timing of that changed it more just turned into a place for gamers to receive a bunch of news, which is when interest from participants started to wane. Whereas Gamescom has always been a public show, and it’s the largest in the world. 320,000 attendees last year. It’s safe because it’s not E3 and because it never tried to be.

But with E3 gone, it’s really the last major in-person opportunity to exhibit outside of smaller scale shows like PAX. Specifically for videogames.

Last edited:

Hugare

You know that Demon's Souls 2009, a game developed by a third-party company (much like Rise of the Ronin), featured the Japan Studio logo, right?
Yeah? And it was remembered as a gem. While Rise of the Ronin wasnt assisted by Japan Studios and is mid af.

So maybe if they had the Japan Studios logo on it, it would have turned out better than it did.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Yeah? And it was remembered as a gem. While Rise of the Ronin wasnt assisted by Japan Studios and is mid af.

So whats the point here?
Try following the conversation, no one cares about what you think of either of these games, but if SIE was still using the Japan Studio branding, Rise of the Ronin would have featured it.
And yes, it was, not only because it started development in 2015, but also due to it being produced by the current external development department at PS Studios Japan, which used to be part of WWS Japan Studio.

Varteras

Gold Member
Nintendo never distanced. They were there through 2019 alongside Xbox even after the gaping void was left by Sony not going that year. Nintendo never stopped exhibiting, it was a huge focus of theirs. E3 simply died once Covid hit and so Nintendo couldn’t go anymore. And same with Xbox.

But my main point is that Gamescom isn’t slowly dying due to lack of participant interest and a reason for existing. That was E3’s issue the last few years. Originally it was intended as a way for press and retailers to see products that they would be selling later in the year. Once the timing of that changed it more just turned into a place for gamers to receive a bunch of news, which is when interest from participants started to wane. Whereas Gamescom has always been a public show, and it’s the largest in the world. 320,000 attendees last year. It’s safe because it’s not E3 and because it never tried to be.

But with E3 gone, it’s really the last major in-person opportunity to exhibit outside of smaller scale shows like PAX. Specifically for videogames.

We'll have to see what Gamescom's attendance looks like this year. So far, it hasn't recovered its pre-pandemic levels.

Regardless of its fate, none of these companies need it. Certainly not Sony or Nintendo. They could never show up to Gamescom ever again and be perfectly fine. Sony has been, and they're both skipping it this year.

Remember a couple years ago all the Sony fan boys bending over backwards to support the GaaS initiative? Maybe if people weren’t so caught up in console wars Sony would have gotten the feedback they needed…

Crazy to think Sony has 2 1st party announced single player games to look forward to and Xbox has 10+. Never thought I’d see the day the narrative completely flipped.
Xbox just had a Showcase outlining their next 3 years. Playstation had a State of Play showing the next 6 months of releases. And as much as us die hard gamers enjoy big showcases, the casuals and average gamers dont watch or care. Nobody is buying consoles for games that are 2+ years away

Playstation will care if the narrative flips to Xbox releasing higher quality games than Playstation. That would move the needle for many gamers, not bigger showcases

Last edited:
Top Bottom