• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

scydrex

Can the social screen output be turned off or disabled? I don't use it only with friends. I usually turn the picture off in my tv and 🔇 . How much processing power the ps5 uses outputting the image? I don't think it's too much right?

ABnormal

Can the social screen output be turned off or disabled? I don't use it only with friends. I usually turn the picture off in my tv and 🔇 . How much processing power the ps5 uses outputting the image? I don't think it's too much right?
Doesn't make any difference. The social screen is simply one of the two frames (left or right) displayed on PSVR2 screens. It would be impossible to render a third frame.

So it doesn't take any more processing power and having it on TV or not makes no difference.

Last edited:

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Are there any reviews or impressions on the new Creed Championship boxing game? It releases tomorrow but the 10% ps plus discount expires tonight so debating if I should preorder it.

I've heard good things about the first game so I imagine it should be pretty solid but would still be nice to have some impressions on how it performs and everything.

SilentUser

Are there any reviews or impressions on the new Creed Championship boxing game? It releases tomorrow but the 10% ps plus discount expires tonight so debating if I should preorder it.

I've heard good things about the first game so I imagine it should be pretty solid but would still be nice to have some impressions on how it performs and everything.

Check this video out, hopefully it will help you out :)

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
We have come a long way from Sega CD's Prize Fighter! I played the hell outta this back then, with Michael Buffer and that dude from Gremlins in your corner!

But this looks like a fun mini workout game 🙂

Surfheart

The haptics on my sense controllers stop working from time to time, I can get it working again by restarting the PS5 but it;s kinda annoying.
It seems to happen after the sense controllers go to sleep and switch off.

Crayon

I just got Studioformcreative PSVR2 Counter Balance Comfort Kit 150 Gram and if somebody as me not a biggest fan of psvr2 halo strap I can recommend it. Feel difference.

It doesn't take much. Do those hold directly to the back or they held away from it further back?

Crayon

Can you describe it more ? Not sure I understand this ;d (sorry no native)

I have a small amount of weight (4 aaa batteries) held about 3 inches out from the back at the back of the headband to maximize increase the effect of the weight without adding any more. As you can imagine, this is very light but enough to make a different in pavlov where I'm going apeshit spinning around and dropping to a knee.
5bFstZY.jpg

Markio128

Is anybody else interested in Across The Valley? It looks like a chilled farming sim with a nice aesthetic. It’s meant to be released tomorrow, but there isn’t even a price for it on the PS Store atm. It’s a toss up between this and Creed, maybe even both because I’ve managed to grab £20 worth of funds using PlayStation stars, which is nice.

SilentUser

Is anybody else interested in Across The Valley? It looks like a chilled farming sim with a nice aesthetic. It’s meant to be released tomorrow, but there isn’t even a price for it on the PS Store atm. It’s a toss up between this and Creed, maybe even both because I’ve managed to grab £20 worth of funds using PlayStation stars, which is nice.
I'm interested in Across the Valley, but I don't know if I'm going to buy it or go for Garden of the Sea. I think the later has more charm to it, while the first gives me the impression of being more... fulfilling? Will wait for some reviews.

Last edited:

Markio128

I'm interested in Across the Valley, but I don't know if I'm going to buy it or go for Garden of the Sea. I think the later has more charm to it, while the first gives me the impression of being more... fulfilling? Will wait for some reviews.
I’ve just googled the price for Across the valley and it’s 20 dollars, so whatever that equates to in the UK. Not bad. Sadly, it’s difficult to find many reviews of PSVR2 games unless they are the bigger titles. Considering the game is coming out tomorrow, I’d have thought we would have had at least a couple by now.

We should at get some impressions tomorrow from some of the YouTubers.

Last edited:

scydrex

I just got Studioformcreative PSVR2 Counter Balance Comfort Kit 150 Gram and if somebody as me not a biggest fan of psvr2 halo strap I can recommend it. Feel difference.
Seems nice. I find the comfort ok but i think it could be better. Will try this later.

sncvsrtoip

I have a small amount of weight (4 aaa batteries) held about 3 inches out from the back at the back of the headband to maximize increase the effect of the weight without adding any more. As you can imagine, this is very light but enough to make a different in pavlov where I'm going apeshit spinning around and dropping to a knee.
5bFstZY.jpg
My holds exactly at back + there is head strap so now have almost no issue with losing sweetspot tough still front give me marks on forehead.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow hats off to all the people Jerry rigging batteries and extra battery packs to your controllers and headset etc.

I think I'd just take AA batteries like the Quest controllers. Hopefully Sony do a revision with AA batteries soon. Far too much modifications for what is supposed to be a console plug and play.

I play like 4 hours straight on my rift s and have to switch batteries out maybe once every 5 sessions maybe. Can't believe I'm reading batteries only last around 2 hours when the rift controllers is like 20 odd hours.

Looks like we still aren't there with vr.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow hats off to all the people Jerry rigging batteries and extra battery packs to your controllers and headset etc.

I think I'd just take AA batteries like the Quest controllers. Hopefully Sony do a revision with AA batteries soon. Far too much modifications for what is supposed to be a console plug and play.

I play like 4 hours straight on my rift s and have to switch batteries out maybe once every 5 sessions maybe. Can't believe I'm reading batteries only last around 2 hours when the rift controllers is like 20 odd hours.

If you get good game time with AA batteries, the cost is negligible over the long haul.

A pack of 48 AA batteries from Costco is $15.

Last edited:

Surfheart

I’m picking this up for sure, I played Gardens of the sea on Quest and it was a nice chill game but across the valley seems to have more meat on it’s bones.

Minsc

Gold Member

The batteries are a bit short, but life is probably more like 3-6 hours, depending on the game. And obviously stuff like GT7 doesn't even use them, so no worries there! But you can use the controllers while charging, so if you do plan on having 5 hour sessions there are ways around the shorter life, but it may just turn out they're good enough. I think part of it is the tech in the controllers and the vibrations I'd guess, plus just a small battery.

I've had sessions with the regular PS5 controllers that drop the battery more than the PS VR2 though - I've seen a full PS VR2 controller battery ended after an hour still at full (3 bars), while the PS5 controller which is much heavier too, drops to 2 / 3 bars sometimes after a similar time (maybe closer to 2 hours, but still, I doubt I could ever go a week without charging the PS5 controller either).

Last edited:

Crayon

You're not still pretending you might buy one are you? 😅

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you get good game time with AA batteries, the cost is negligible over the long haul.

A pack of 48 AA batteries from Costco is $15.

I just use eneloops on my rift s controllers. Always have a second clip ready when I need them. Lol

Plus spare for my xbox controllers. Best things ever.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You're not still pretending you might buy one are you? 😅
No pretending here. Still got my psvr 1 and rift s here. I adore vr but psvr 2 isn't currently delivering anything outside of what I'm playing on pcvr and with these short comings it needs to address them first.

I am/was considering one but I gotta see what quest 3 delivers first.

Rac3r

People are getting less than 3 hours on their controllers? I typically play in sessions of 2 hours and my controllers usually have 3 bars of battery life when I plug them back into the dock. I'd imagine I'd get 5+ hours easily if I wanted to play that long.

PanzerCute

People are getting less than 3 hours on their controllers? I typically play in sessions of 2 hours and my controllers usually have 3 bars of battery life when I plug them back into the dock. I'd imagine I'd get 5+ hours easily if I wanted to play that long.
It really depends on the game: battery will drain way quicker if you play a FPS or a sword wielding game, compared to something like Demeo.

Talking about Demeo, I am really in love with the game. I think I played 13 hours already and I can see myself playing 4 or 5 times more. The game has so much depth it's fascinating! And the long list of unlockables, albeit only consisting of cosmétique stuff, gives a nice incentive to play.

As a TRPG fan, this is easily a 9/10 for me, and a breath of fresh air from my regular japanese strategy games.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
No pretending here. Still got my psvr 1 and rift s here. I adore vr but psvr 2 isn't currently delivering anything outside of what I'm playing on pcvr and with these short comings it needs to address them first.

I am/was considering one but I gotta see what quest 3 delivers first.

Yeah, I'm the same way with PC VR - I want to see what I'm missing there, but outside the really expensive headsets, it seems like what choices we have now is getting ready to be replaced/updated, so I'm happy with all the content I do have on PSVR2 being new to VR, but eventually I'll jump in there. Still, PC has nothing like GT7, and the RE8 is lacking the gunplay of PSVR2, those two pretty much make it totally worthwhile for me, but at least I have all the smaller stuff to fall back to. Without that stuff being new, if it was my second headset, I'd probably jump in with one more wave of AAA/worthy exclusives. Like RE4 VR + ??? + ???, then there's 5 AAA/near-AAA games to enjoy, which we just need Sony to give us some more news to look forward too, but that's still probably a few months away.

PanzerCute

I keep playing the oval tracks in GT7 and constantly wonder why Sega isn’t jumping into VR with a remaster of Daytona.

Or Outrun.

Or Sega Rally.

Or Power Drift.

Or Rad Mobile.

Or Scud Racer.

Or Virtua Racing. 🧐
Or Panzer Dragon, House of The Dead, After Burner and their other immense Rail Shooters. I would pay serious money for that..

On another topic, NMS has received another major patch, and they clearly say "significant improvement to image quality on PSVR2"

Will try that asap.

Rudius

If you turn off the adaptive triggers and put the vibration strength to weak the controllers will last a lot longer. However they will feel more like regular controllers VR with weak vibration and dead triggers.

Minsc

Gold Member
NMS is miles better now
I need to read some positive impressions about NMS - what's the gameplay like and how it's fun etc. It does seem like the type of game I'd potentially be interested in, building a fleet of ships, flying around, collecting resources from planets and trading, etc. Just haven't read many good impressions because the quality is so terrible that's all I see when the game is discussed.

aclar00

You know what thing that bothers me a bit...the inability to use the VR controllers to play regular games. Why would Sony not enable this?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You know what thing that bothers me a bit...the inability to use the VR controllers to play regular games. Why would Sony not enable this?
They're not 1:1. They're missing 5 (dpad, touchpad) buttons. And PS5 OS is not very powerful for remapping controls... it's obviously good to have, but limited.

You could technically use some if the added functionality on the sense controllers to maybe figure out a way to get some functions on the gyro or whatever, kinda like wiimotes, and if you combined the functionality of VR headset like head and gaze tracking, I think you could quite easily get any flat game to work.

But yeah... missing 4 buttons dude. Gamepads already struggle to map everything to the default (non paddle) layout. Take away four buttons and 1) it requires specific work from a dev to figure out 2) will probably a clumsy, jank-ass solution.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah I'll take AA batteries all day, I just don't know why its that much of a difference.

I hate the idea of having AA batteries and I love the route Sony took here and with the DualSense controllers. To me I have charging stands for both controller types and I place them on those stands after each playthrough. So no big deal for me.

But I do understand the other side of the argument.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Absolutely. Truths, exaggerations and fud. We may see slightly differently in that nowadays I think there is also recreational fud alongside the sponsored kind.

Those criticisms are real things and I've no problem discussing them. There's a difference between talking about it and trolling though. Platform warring has adopted a fud-style for a long time now. Trolling is tireless and a feature of online communities. There is, as should be expected, a ton of people latching onto some negatives (oddly not the batteries, while it drives actual happy users nuts) and boosting that every chance they get.

Unfortunately, some poor soul in that reddit meltdown is spending all their time in these communities and getting gaslit. That's why I like to remind people to watch the reviews the week before where you get a sampling of people going in blind and compare that to commentsville.

As for the software, you are into the real conversation. As of now, to the support is strong in whatever this quiet marketing, direct-order only weird period is. I can only imagine what the plan is from there. Is the idea to have a grand opening for the holidays where you finally can buy these in stores and they show off the next round of aaa games with VR modes? Does that kick something off or does it peter out? There's a million ways it could go. I just know it's off to a strong start, and I want to see what the holiday looks like.

The bolded is what I think the plan clearly is. Jim Ryan is a big believer in NOT talking about anything until the very last minute. Hell, we don't even know what most of Sony's 1st party teams are still working on and it's APRIL 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The PS5 came out almost 3 years ago!!!!!

The haptics on my sense controllers stop working from time to time, I can get it working again by restarting the PS5 but it;s kinda annoying.
It seems to happen after the sense controllers go to sleep and switch off.

That happens to me also. It happens mostly in the Horizon: COTM game.

I'm back to HATING Jim Ryan again. This 1 minute Creed promo for PSVR2 should be a nationwide commercial. The Creed 3 movie has made over a quarter billion dollars and yet not many people know there's a PSVR2 game that fits right there with it. This internet ad is shot perfectly with a mix of gameplay, story, and showing people what you'll be doing in your house while playing it. It looks fun and exciting, yet Jim doesn't have one PSVR2 headset in stores in America and only one nationwide commercial and that's the Ozzy Osbourne one with the TV exploding. UGH!

SilentUser

I hate the idea of having AA batteries and I love the route Sony took here and with the DualSense controllers. To me I have charging stands for both controller types and I place them on those stands after each playthrough. So no big deal for me.

But I do understand the other side of the argument.
Me too. Never had a problem with the battery of the Sense controllers, but still decided to buy the charging stand for convenience, ease of use and a way to better store the controllers after the use.

scydrex

I think so too but over on Reddit some people aren’t convinced.

RENDERING AND OPTIMISATION​

• Introduced a significant improvement to image quality in PSVR2.
  • Fixed an issue that caused visual glitches in particle rendering in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a drop in image quality when rendering distant stars.
  • Introduced a loading/warp time optimisation for PlayStation 5, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Introduced a number of rendering and memory optimisations for PC and PlayStation VR.
  • Introduced a number of rendering and memory optimisations for PlayStation 5.
  • Introduced a significant memory optimisation for PlayStation 4.

VR​

• VR players can now customise the position of their wrist and Multi-Tool projector menus. Simply grab the menu while it is being projected and drag it to a new position.
  • An option has been added to allow VR players to choose between base building holograms being shown based on where they are looking or where they are pointing.
  • An option has been added for VR players to change the behaviour of the flight stick, so that the yaw/roll axes are switched, and moving the virtual stick to the left/right will roll the ship rather than turn it.
  • The wrist projector menus now instantly disappear so that players can use their Multi-Tool immediately after changing weapon mode.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could occasionally block interactions when they should be available.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally cause player hands to immediately disconnect from Exocraft controls.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the customiser tooltip to use the wrong text in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the option to allow the switching of the sprint and scan buttons to fail to work in PSVR2.

Only took the VR or PS fixes. Took out some Xbox related fixes.

Last edited:

Markio128

I‘ve just tried NMS with the new patch and the visuals are noticeably better. There doesn’t seem to be much difference with the objects that are close, however, far away objects look a lot less fuzzy, so the overall image is sharper. I’m quite happy with it now. I even changed the turning motion back to smooth because it doesn’t seem to make me feel icky anymore. I’m not sure if that’s because of my ever improving tolerance, or because the scenery no longer looks all blurry.

XXL

RENDERING AND OPTIMISATION​

• Introduced a significant improvement to image quality in PSVR2.
  • Fixed an issue that caused visual glitches in particle rendering in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused a drop in image quality when rendering distant stars.
  • Introduced a loading/warp time optimisation for PlayStation 5, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
  • Introduced a number of rendering and memory optimisations for PC and PlayStation VR.
  • Introduced a number of rendering and memory optimisations for PlayStation 5.
  • Introduced a significant memory optimisation for PlayStation 4.

VR​

• VR players can now customise the position of their wrist and Multi-Tool projector menus. Simply grab the menu while it is being projected and drag it to a new position.
  • An option has been added to allow VR players to choose between base building holograms being shown based on where they are looking or where they are pointing.
  • An option has been added for VR players to change the behaviour of the flight stick, so that the yaw/roll axes are switched, and moving the virtual stick to the left/right will roll the ship rather than turn it.
  • The wrist projector menus now instantly disappear so that players can use their Multi-Tool immediately after changing weapon mode.
  • Fixed a rare issue that could occasionally block interactions when they should be available.
  • Fixed an issue that could occasionally cause player hands to immediately disconnect from Exocraft controls.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the customiser tooltip to use the wrong text in VR.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the option to allow the switching of the sprint and scan buttons to fail to work in PSVR2.

Only took the VR or PS fixes. Took out some Xbox related fixes.
This is great! I can't wait to try this out when I'm back home.

Top Bottom