• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Surfheart

It is significantly better. I played for hours today, while before I just tested and gave up because of the low resolution.

However it is still not the best quality PSVR2 can produce and it is not using eye-tracked foveated rendering, so it can still be further improved.

Yeah same, i played for maybe 15 minutes around launch and shelved it because it looked so bad, but played for hours last night after this new patch dropped. For the first time noticed the terrrain tesselation too.

Rac3r

It really depends on the game: battery will drain way quicker if you play a FPS or a sword wielding game, compared to something like Demeo.

I play a lot of Pavlov and have never come close to fully draining the battery after a 2 hour session (based on the battery indicator in the control center). It could be that the battery indicator isn't accurate or doesn't refresh often enough to show depletion. I wish there was a percentage monitor.

Crayon

I thought I was getting as little as two hours at first but I think it was a mix of thinking they were charging when I plugged them into something too weak and the innacurate system indicator. They do more like 4 or 5.

Minsc

Gold Member
I thought I was getting as little as two hours at first but I think it was a mix of thinking they were charging when I plugged them into something too weak and the innacurate system indicator. They do more like 4 or 5.

Yeah most likely it's this. You can have a 1.5 hour session, then "charge" your controllers, but if they're still at 3 bars after the two hours, they won't charge.

So your next session you start and think they're 100%, but they're really 75%. You play for 2 hours and drain 40% bringing them down to 35% - 1 bar. Easy to think you just went from 100 to 35% in 2 hours - but in reality it was including your last session since they don't charge when you plug them in unless they're low. So they lasted 3.5 hours not 2, and still have around another 1.5 hours left in them - for 5 hours.

That's where I think people are getting the impression of 2-3 hours vs 5-6 as well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm back to being addicted to monster hunter. Wishing it was a VR hybrid game. I want to play every flat game in some kind of 3DVR mode.

If Dragon's Dogma was like that, playable in VR... I might never leave the house again.

Hopefully Sony talks about some of this stuff soon. Their silence is annoying as fuck. They're gonna push me to PCVR...

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm back to being addicted to monster hunter. Wishing it was a VR hybrid game. I want to play every flat game in some kind of 3DVR mode.

If Dragon's Dogma was like that, playable in VR... I might never leave the house again.

Hopefully Sony talks about some of this stuff soon. Their silence is annoying as fuck. They're gonna push me to PCVR...

I really think if you're in to VR to the point flat gaming is hard to go back to - you're better off with both platforms - unless Sony gave up on PSVR2 and there's nothing more to come haha.

It's only a matter of time for me until I explore PC VR, but to me it's kinda like saying you're a handheld gamer and not buying a handheld system on each platform (luckily there's only two, but still, I'd definitely say both carry their weight and then some).

That said I want nothing more than to see dozens of AAA games announced to have upcoming hybrid versions, hopefully this is part of Sony's plans - why else lead with GT7 and RE8 and to a lesser extent Horizon (a AAA franchise turned VR exclusive). Maybe they can't afford to fund AAA games at Horizon CotM level for an entire game, but they can surely afford to fund existing high profile games to be ported to VR.

PanzerCute

I tried NMS after the patch, and if its better and sharper now, it still looks quite bad.
I play a lot of Pavlov and have never come close to fully draining the battery after a 2 hour session (based on the battery indicator in the control center). It could be that the battery indicator isn't accurate or doesn't refresh often enough to show depletion. I wish there was a percentage monitor.
2 hours seems like an exageration for sure. I would say in the worst case scénario battery would last 3,5h easy.

Markio128

Synth Riders has been my most played game, which is mad because I’ve played quite a lot of GT7 as well.
Pistol Whip can’t be too far behind either.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Synth Riders has been my most played game, which is mad because I’ve played quite a lot of GT7 as well.
Pistol Whip can’t be too far behind either.
Still need to buy Pistol Whip and Synth Riders. I decided to buy them later, as in terms of musical games I'm already obsessed with Rez and Tetris for now.

Can you play both games seated by the way?

Markio128

Still need to buy Pistol Whip and Synth Riders. I decided to buy them later, as in terms of musical games I'm already obsessed with Rez and Tetris for now.

Can you play both games seated by the way?
You can play Pistol Whip seated, not sure about Synth Riders, but I doubt it. In both cases, they are much more fun standing as you need to duck and weave often. For me, they both offer the most immediate fun in VR and seem to have decent staying power as well.
Tetris is a nice game to play when I need a rest 😂

PanzerCute

I haven't received the email from Sony yet, but I don't really trust their calculation for playtime. Like my save from Moss 1 says that I finished the game in around 5H, but on the PS menu it says I have spent 3 hours only in the game? It's the same for every game tbh.

But still, where is my mail Sony?

On another topic, I'm almost finished with my first playthrough of Runner and I really recommend it if you love arcade games. And if you are a fan of Akira and other 90s SF anime stuff, this should be an absolute no-brainer and it will make you smile like an 8 year old.

PanzerCute

To nobody's surprise, Demeo is my most played game 😅 can't wait to go back home and play more lol
I just went to their website, and I didn't know that PVP was announced for the game to be released in 2023. That is so cool!

I also learnt that on PC and Quest, they have a feature that doesn't exist on PSVR2, the "heroes hangout" :

They even added an update of that Hero Hangout, where you can draw some stuff and PAINT THE CHARACTERS!

I want it so baaaaad now, especially the painting part :D

Apparently, the explanation of it not being on PSVR2 yet could be that this mode is designed around a discord implementation, and Discord arrived only on 8th of March on PlayStation.
Really hope the will patch it in our PSVR2 version, looks so fun!

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I just went to their website, and I didn't know that PVP was announced for the game to be released in 2023. That is so cool!

I also learnt that on PC and Quest, they have a feature that doesn't exist on PSVR2, the "heroes hangout" :

They even added an update of that Hero Hangout, where you can draw some stuff and PAINT THE CHARACTERS!

Apparently, the explanation of it not being on PSVR2 yet could be that this mode is designed around a discord implementation, and Discord arrived only on 8th of March on PlayStation.

Yes! PSVR2 needs a social space.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, the PS Home screen in VR is literally garbage. Even RE8 did a better job updating their merchant screen in VR. You should be using the sense controllers to aim and stuff should be to your left, center and right, and it should feel like a VR interface, not just the flat system in the headset. Granted they could leave analog functionality in there for the DS5, but they basically did nothing. If I'm using a headset to browse the store, why aren't the PS VR2 games the first ones I see? I always have to go to browse and filter them on.

Painting looks like a nice touch, they should hopefully patch this in sometime before I buy it! It still seems like a tougher sell for me, it's what 5 levels for $40? But I guess there's a good amount of replay value?

PanzerCute

Painting looks like a nice touch, they should hopefully patch this in sometime before I buy it! It still seems like a tougher sell for me, it's what 5 levels for $40? But I guess there's a good amount of replay value?
There are 5 campaigns, yes, but believe me this number doesn't mean anything and after more than 15 hours of play time, I still have to try 3 of these campaigns. And no, I am not bored of the first two campaigns at all, I could play them on repeat for weeks!

Every game is different: the 5 campaigns only mean you have 5 different "biomes" and end bosses, but the level design, the cards you draw (which are your spells/ techniques/ potions etc..) and the enemy placement will always be different, making each game a new adventure that feels fresh.

They also have a great "fog of war" system that prevents you from seeing all the danger lurking on the map, which often results in you ending up in tricky and tense situations. This doesn't seem that important on paper, but it actually is: even if you play carefully, you will always be challenged and surprised by the game, and you will have to adapt. This makes for a very engaging (and challenging) experience! In terms of tension and difficulty, the game reminds me of Darkest Dungeon a bit (way less infuriating tho).

Also, don't expect to beat every campaign on your first try, you will get stomped like a noob at first haha. The learning curve is so cool in that regard, even for a TRPG "veteran" like me: even if you know the basics and play carefully, the game will still surprise you and put you in very tought situations. Oh, and the bosses are really great, and finding the solution to beat them is not that easy, so you'll need a few tries to beat them first I guess. (except maybe the first one who is pretty straight forward)

Also worth noting that you have a LOT of cosmetic stuff to unlock with a meta XP progression. This sounded like "eh, who cares?" to me before I bought the game, but it's actually nice to have such a reward/progression system, and who doesn't love some useless cosmetic stuff, especially in a game where you play with small figurines :D

And last, there is one aspect of the game that makes it very unique and special: multiplayer! Playing solo is great, I absolutely love it, but playing multiplayer completely transforms the experience as you only play one character. It's great to chat with other players to build some tactics, and to adapt to their moves and make you own decisions. I also played one game with 3 muted players, and as no one was talking, it felt like I was playing a coop Dungeon Crawler rather than a strategy game.

In conclusion, I would say that it is not a game to be compared to the likes of Tactics Ogres or Triangle Strategy to name a recent one. You are not gonna follow a linear and classical story or anything like that: it's more a "Board Game TRPG Roguelite" where you choose a set of heroes, a level and go for a 2-3 hours session. Replayability is immense, the game is built around it.

I didn't buy it at launch because I was a bit worried about the content, but after only 1 session, I really hated myself for not having bought it before. I was just looking at the game with wrong expectations.

EDIT: oh and man, in terms of production value this is top notch, too!

Last edited:

SilentUser

Oh yeah, I've tried it before on my brother's Rift S. It is a cool thing to have, though he never uses it and I can't see myself using it, either.

saintjules

I think that the battery indicator level is incorrect. I remember seeing the bars go down to the last one quickly, but my controller was never coming up as almost dead or anything.

The Dualsense also had this glitch back in 2021. I assume this could also get fixed.

https://screenrant.com/dualsense-battery-indicator-glitch-fixed-ps5-firmware-update/

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
This weekend I'll be visiting my parents and letting them give it a go. if my brother stops by, then I'll let him try it to.

Planning to show them Kayak, GT7, and Pavlov (gun range).

Bringing my entire setup for GT7, but that's one reason I got the easily folding stand.

PanzerCute

Oh yeah, I've tried it before on my brother's Rift S. It is a cool thing to have, though he never uses it and I can't see myself using it, either.
Yeah, it could be a gimmick that you only do a few times, you are right. (Still want it tho ;d)

Last edited:

Crayon

NMS defintely improved but still no looker. It's good enough to actually play now, though. I haven't played in a long time so I've been expecting this to be my chill seated exploration game. Played for "a bit" last night and when I hit the home button it was 1 in the morning. Whoops. So much for the 2-hour controllers.

Surfheart

NMS defintely improved but still no looker. It's good enough to actually play now, though. I haven't played in a long time so I've been expecting this to be my chill seated exploration game. Played for "a bit" last night and when I hit the home button it was 1 in the morning. Whoops. So much for the 2-hour controllers.

I have to take back what I said about improved image quality, I think it’s highly dependant on what type of planet you are on. I was on an icy barren planet with little flora after the recent patch and it did look much improved but now I’m on a planet with lots of grasses and plants and the image quality is back in the toilet.

They got a long way to go to get the image quality to where i feel it should be.

Crayon

I have to take back what I said about improved image quality, I think it’s highly dependant on what type of planet you are on. I was on an icy barren planet with little flora after the recent patch and it did look much improved but now I’m on a planet with lots of grasses and plants and the image quality is back in the toilet.

They got a long way to go to get the image quality to where i feel it should be.

You'd think that shit would be pin sharp!! They never stop working on it so hopefull it is some day.

SilentUser

Not sure if already posted, but it is cool to see devs going for native 90 fps instead of 120 reprojected in a game like this. Will try it out this weekend, hopefully (and NMS too)!

ABnormal

Not sure if already posted, but it is cool to see devs going for native 90 fps instead of 120 reprojected in a game like this. Will try it out this weekend, hopefully (and NMS too)!

Yes, I would hope that for NMS they would go for 90 frames implementing foveated rendering. But it may be possible that for a provedural engine FR is a problem.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Yes, I would hope that for NMS they would go for 90 frames implementing foveated rendering. But it may be possible that for a provedural engine FR is a problem.
I’ve noticed that the ambient particle fx are almost non-existent on PSVR2. The planet I was on before the patch had lots of particles swirling about but post-patch there are very few and those that are present seem bugged (really visible only at the end of their life-cycle).

Despite the perceived short-comings of NMS on PSVR2 it’s still a great game for VR immersion. The sense of scale is amazing when you’re near some of the larger landforms. The other day I found a huge overhanging cliff and walking under it was almost awe-inspiring.

ABnormal

I’ve noticed that the ambient particle fx are almost non-existent on PSVR2. The planet I was on before the patch had lots of particles swirling about but post-patch there are very few and those that are present seem bugged (really visible only at the end of their life-cycle).

Despite the perceived short-comings of NMS on PSVR2 it’s still a great game for VR immersion. The sense of scale is amazing when you’re near some of the larger landforms. The other day I found a huge overhanging cliff and walking under it was almost awe-inspiring.
It's a shame. I think is case per case based. I was impressed, for example by the particle effects that I saw in indoor environments on Saints and Sinners: a genuine cloud of dust in the air. Or the snow in Village.
They are particularly impressive, when perceived in 3D.

PanzerCute

They also drastically improved the netcode. This demo was a good idea, it made a lof of people interested in the game, and they patch exactly what players are asking.

Hope there will be enough "solo" content tho, but the game is definitely on my radar.

Minsc

Gold Member

I would have 100% have bought the game by now if not for the constant dialog of the technical issues. I'll probably still get it eventually, on sale, but so disappointing it didn't turn out better, running on the PS5.

I loved the snow in Resident Evil Village, it is indeed very cool to see it in VR. Actually, I'm loving basically everything about it. Such a masterpiece in VR.

I'm sad the snow is gone in the title screen now, and the time of day is darker. Guess after clearing Lady D's castle it changed a little. How far did you make it? I'm currently right at the door of House Beneviento mustering up my courage, slowly. It feels like the beginning all over again, so scary!

SilentUser

I would have 100% have bought the game by now if not for the constant dialog of the technical issues. I'll probably still get it eventually, on sale, but so disappointing it didn't turn out better, running on the PS5.

I'm sad the snow is gone in the title screen now, and the time of day is darker. Guess after clearing Lady D's castle it changed a little. How far did you make it? I'm currently right at the door of House Beneviento mustering up my courage, slowly. It feels like the beginning all over again, so scary!
I'm still at the beginning, barely entered the Dimitrescu Castle explored some rooms. Got some unexpected surprise while opening a door and had to fight, I actually screamed when that happend and dropped the gun haha. I'm loving each second of it, but my priority atm has been Demeo with my friends. Sometimes I hate being an adult as the lack of free time is astounding.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm still at the beginning, barely entered the Dimitrescu Castle explored some rooms. Got some unexpected surprise while opening a door and had to fight, I actually screamed when that happend and dropped the gun haha. I'm loving each second of it, but my priority atm has been Demeo with my friends. Sometimes I hate being an adult as the lack of free time is astounding.
I need to get Demeo, it sounds better and better each time I read impressions.

I feel like that's where it all starts really paying off. Exploring the castle when it opens up and you know where stuff is is quite fun. Plus the detail of all the gold inlays on the marble walls and textures everywhere in the castle all look incredible. It's often said it's on a whole other level beyond RE7, even in flat playthroughs - and from what I gather RE8 VR is a lot closer to flat than RE7 was, so the difference in VR is probably even more pronounced. But the beginning of the Castle doesn't even cover many of the most impressive visuals, so you'll have some fun exploring ahead! Glad to hear you're loving it! It's nice I think it's a horror game and encourages shorter sessions in a way too, vs something like Alyx that's lighter on horror and I'd probably be tempted to just finish in a week with longer sessions.

keefged4

So I've started my return process for my PSVR2. Sure, GT7 VR and RE8 VR is cool, but the generational "leap" isn't there for me over PSVR1. I shall join you guys perhaps for PSVR3, in the meatime I'll go back to my Quest 2 with Alyx.

scydrex

Finished RE8 VR awesome. Finished my 3rd time now. Sadly will not play it again VR in this mode because the weapons and points are not shared. It was scarier and the the baby part on the Benevento house was disturbing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finished RE8 VR awesome. Finished my 3rd time now. Sadly will not play it again VR in this mode because the weapons and points are not shared. It was scarier and the the baby part on the Benevento house was disturbing.
What do you mean points aren't shared (I have no clue what that means, only on my first run, right at the door to Benevento's house, I'm gonna try tonight, but might take a few shots)... I've read you do unlock unlimited ammo for your second VR playthrough, so I imagine I'd want to do a revenge run. Did you already finished RE4 Remake as well? Curious how that one will turn out in VR - I imagine it won't have the scare factor, but it should still be something else to experience, the game is pretty close to the detail level in Village.

So I've started my return process for my PSVR2. Sure, GT7 VR and RE8 VR is cool, but the generational "leap" isn't there for me over PSVR1. I shall join you guys perhaps for PSVR3, in the meatime I'll go back to my Quest 2 with Alyx.
I definitely can understand if you have a PC headset the library is a lot less appealing, but I find the headset pretty charming (and the setup is really fast, from what I read a lot less hassle than PS VR1 too), even if I got a vastly superior PC set in every regard - like the Index 2 or whatever, I'd probably still hold on hope that all the upcoming PS VR2 exclusives like RE4 and whatever else Sony releases would be up to the level of GT7 and RE8. I'm pretty much going to be exclusively gaming as much as possible in VR at this point, and I wouldn't want to miss some great experience like Wipeout or Astro or some other epic game Sony backs to PS VR2, which I'd hope happen every quarter or so for the next ~5 years.

Last edited:

keefged4

I definitely can understand if you have a PC headset the library is a lot less appealing, but I find the headset pretty charming (and the setup is really fast, from what I read a lot less hassle than PS VR1 too), even if I got a vastly superior PC set in every regard - like the Index 2 or whatever, I'd probably still hold on hope that all the upcoming PS VR2 exclusives like RE4 and whatever else Sony releases would be up to the level of GT7 and RE8. I'm pretty much going to be exclusively gaming as much as possible in VR at this point, and I wouldn't want to miss some great experience like Wipeout or Astro or some other epic game Sony backs to PS VR2.
I hear you. But going from past experience with PSVR1, I dont think there will be anything that lives up to the level of GT7 and RE8/4. I've been stung once before. At a fundemental level, The last thing I want to do after work is "prepare" for VR and get everything all set up for it only to have a headache for the rest of the evening. Whilst the experience is absolutely "cool", I just dont find the whole experience of it enjoyable to me anymore. I think the novelty of VR has run its course for me. I honestly dont have any faith in Sony or any publisher delivering anything more than a shovelware "experience" outside of what we already have.

SilentUser

So, briefly tried C-Smash and No Man's Sky. Here are my two cents:
1. C-Smash: 90hz is far, far superior. Reprojection was a letdown and native 90hz is a must in a game like this. Plays better, looks better, less blurry because reprojection is not there anymore.
2. No Man's Sky: I think what they did here was increasing the resolution and size of the UI, making it really sharp and very easy to read everything, much more comfortable to play. Had no trouble reading anything. But the game itself remains blurry, no increase in the resolution, at least that I could notice. Distant forms of life on planets are very blurry, the hands are kinda blurry. The cockpit is ok-ish, some parts are very blurry, others are good enough. Overall, remains rough and I still won't play it (played a ton on flatscreen before, though).

Puzzling Places got updated too, not sure what they did, but it is a charming game and I think it is much, much better to see things (easier to focus, better IQ). They improved the game by a lot since the release :)

scydrex

What do you mean points aren't shared (I have no clue what that means, only on my first run, right at the door to Benevento's house, I'm gonna try tonight, but might take a few shots)... I've read you do unlock unlimited ammo for your second VR playthrough, so I imagine I'd want to do a revenge run. Did you already finished RE4 Remake as well? Curious how that one will turn out in VR - I imagine it won't have the scare factor, but it should still be something else to experience, the game is pretty close to the detail level in Village.
I have finished 2 or 3 times before. Have the Wolfbane revolver, dragoon and WCX unlimited ammo. Those normal runs don't count in VR mode. Neither the stuff you opened. VR mode is different and you start fresh without anything opened. So will keep playing the normal mode. Don't want to start all over again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Puzzling Places got updated too, not sure what they did, but it is a charming game and I think it is much, much better to see things (easier to focus, better IQ). They improved the game by a lot since the release :)
I like to check out the images in the monthly packs from the store, they're up to 12 now (plus a few larger DLCs outside the monthly packs). The picture in picture store used in Puzzling Places actually looks really nice to me, same with the home screen overlay. For whatever reason I don't like it in the main non-game PS5 UI, but in Puzzling Places it all looks so much better, maybe because it is suspending on a plane in the foreground of the Puzzling Places game?

But yeah, Puzzling Places is an awesome chill game. I like to do 25-50 pieces as the last thing I do before putting away the VR for the night, feels nice to accomplish that much - whether it's a quick 25 piece puzzle or a quarter of a larger 200 piece puzzle. I'm absolutely going in on the DLC once I exhaust the main game's puzzles, the DLC has some really neat looking puzzles.

It's always looked good to me, I was under the impression it used to be native res, but I suppose it's possible it looks slightly better? I dunno, probably just imagining it. It's fun when you finish a puzzle and you want to explore (on some puzzles the interior is modeled as well as the exterior) around inside the building. But to do so you basically have to drag the puzzle right through your face, and at that point it's impossible to focus anymore because you're inside this tiny miniature puzzle. But you can close one eye and then see everything up close and it's all super detailed. Like you can be looking at the entire building from far away, then zoom it all the way into like a single book on a tiny bookshelf and make out all sorts of details and textures on something that would be so tiny like millimeters or fraction of millimeters on a real model. And it does all the texture swapping in the zoom so transparently.

Top Bottom