• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Markio128

I think it’s fair to say that I’m a little bit addicted to Beat Saber. I’ve started to get quite a few ‘S’ ranks on hard mode, and I bloody love it.

Has anybody tried Until you fall yet? It looks pretty decent, but I don’t know if it gets a bit repetitive.

Markio128

Do it, please! Curious about everything, and please share your thoughts about the reprojection in this game.
So I haven’t played it for too long due to time constraints, but long enough to form a fair opinion.

Visually, it’s pretty decent - quite striking at times, but it won’t initially impress like Red Matter 2; I think it lacks the finer details of that game. Saying that, there is a lot more happening on-screen.

I didn’t notice anything wrong with the re-projection - it looks sharp enough, the colours pop and fast movement doesn’t appear to cause any noticeable issues.

The gun-play is a little more challenging than I expected - you need to be pretty accurate to hit the enemies, especially at medium/far distance. The telekinesis ability works really well and is fun - it quickly becomes natural distinguishing the distance of enemies when slamming boxes and explosive crates on their heads.

The way the enemies chatter and goad you helps the game feel quite intense. The sound in general seems decent.

Finally, there seem to be a truckload of upgrades and abilities, and they appear to work similar to other rogue-likes - some only last a single play-through and others are constant. I get the impression you can choose and build your favourite style of play, such as close range, long range, etc,.

My only concern is that the levels and enemies could be lacking in variety - but the same could be said for Pistol Whip.

Last edited:

SilentUser

So I haven’t played it for too long due to time constraints, but long enough to form a fair opinion.

Visually, it’s pretty decent - quite striking at times, but it won’t initially impress like Red Matter 2; I think it lacks the finer details of that game. Saying that, there is a lot more happening on-screen.

I didn’t notice anything wrong with the re-projection - it looks sharp enough, the colours pop and fast movement doesn’t appear to cause any noticeable issues.

The gun-play is a little more challenging than I expected - you need to be pretty accurate to hit the enemies, especially at medium/far distance. The telekinesis ability works really well and is fun - it quickly becomes natural distinguishing the distance of enemies when slamming boxes and explosive crates on their heads.

The way the enemies chatter and goad you helps the game feel quite intense. The sound in general seems decent.

Finally, there seem to be a truckload of upgrades and abilities, and they appear to work similar to other rogue-likes - some only last a single play-through and others are constant. I get the impression you can choose and build your favourite style of play, such as close range, long range, etc,.

My only concern is that the levels and enemies could be lacking in variety - but the same could be said for Pistol Whip.
Man, that's great to hear and in line with reviews. Wish I wasn't so freaking busy and tired nowadays, can't wait to have so quality me time and play some VR games again.

Markio128

I played some more of Synapse last night and enjoyed it. It doesn’t seem like a long game, but it is fairly challenging and forces you to restart from the beginning after each death. Fortunately the game is fun, so this won’t bother me too much, but it’s worth bearing in mind.

PanzerCute

I played some more of Synapse last night and enjoyed it. It doesn’t seem like a long game, but it is fairly challenging and forces you to restart from the beginning after each death. Fortunately the game is fun, so this won’t bother me too much, but it’s worth bearing in mind.
Yeah apparently you can fully beat and platinum the game in around 10h or so.

gunstarhero

Can you play this game sitting down?

Pelao

I got the platinum in Synapse in 6 hours.
Excellent game. Too bad it's so short, but I definitely plan to keep playing it just because of how fun it is.
And just in case, I wasn't trophy hunting. I was so surprised when the platinum notification popped up that I had to go look at the trophy list to check that it wasn't a bug.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I got the platinum in Synapse in 6 hours.
Excellent game. Too bad it's so short, but I definitely plan to keep playing it just because of how fun it is.
And just in case, I wasn't trophy hunting. I was so surprised when the platinum notification popped up that I had to go look at the trophy list to check that it wasn't a bug.
That's short, but honestly smaller games are my thing now. I'm loving shorter experiences.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Markio128

I’m really happy with how the catalogue is building, but for me there is one giant elephant in the room, and that is the complete lack of quality racing games - other than GT7 of course. How good GT7 is just makes it all the more frustrating tbh.

I’d love some news on potential PSVR 2 racing games like Rally, for example. The F1 game being PC VR exclusive really disappointed me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wanderer on ue5
Now this is what I want to hear. I have been a big proponent that next-gen "feel" will come from real world physics engines. We already have fantastic IQ, lighting and texture work, it's the physics that need to make the world feel more alive and less static.

Next-gen physics-driven world​

Powered by Unreal Engine 5 Wanderer: The Fragments of Fate brings an innovative new look at physics. We’ve created a new system that helps simulate ‘real world’ mass and velocity when grabbing items. All of this also includes the player’s avatar and their strength. This is all made even more real with the advanced use of PS VR2’s adaptive trigger haptics, headset, and controller haptics. We even have a new proximity base head haptics system which we cannot wait to share with you.

SilentUser

I’m really happy with how the catalogue is building, but for me there is one giant elephant in the room, and that is the complete lack of quality racing games - other than GT7 of course. How good GT7 is just makes it all the more frustrating tbh.

I’d love some news on potential PSVR 2 racing games like Rally, for example. The F1 game being PC VR exclusive really disappointed me.
Not a fan of racing sim, but I would love the port of Wipeout and a brand new MotorStorm to fill the void 😜

CHEROKEEE

Not a fan of racing sim, but I would love the port of Wipeout and a brand new MotorStorm to fill the void 😜
I'm kinda in the same boat. While I can appreciate the sensation of being 'IN the car racing' with GT7 VR it still doesnt change the fact, that I sort of grew tired of drving in circles on (mostly) bland Racing tracks after already having PLENTY of that in the past with GT1 - GT4. But then again I would KILL for a 'scenic Fun Racer' like THE CREW in VR... just cruising across the country... enjoying the Road Trip in all its VR glory *sigh*

fart town usa

Gold Member
I’d absolutely love a remake of the original Motorstorm in VR! I’d take a VR version of Bus Simulator at this point haha
There's Penn & Tellers 'Desert Bus' in VR. It's only PSVR though. 😅🫠. I'd like to try it someday, coop too. A few friends can ride along and do things to distract the driver.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Started playing Hubris and fell a couple of times while climbing the rocks at the very beginning.
After all that climbing in Horizon I just yelled like a crazy person "AGAIN WITH THIS CLIMBING SHIT!!" and turned it off.

Will get back to it when I'm relaxed & patient 😄
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

season 13 GIF

:messenger_beaming:

Crayon

Whew gaming diet been weird for several months here. The last things I was really getting into were VR before that. In the meantime I've been grabbing bites of this or that with random fighting games and a pretty good chunk out of an old ff7r save for the last two weekends.

Anyway I finally have some good VR conditions here so I'm going to try out hubris.

Controller batteries I topped up earlier this week but I forgot to charge my horizon back and speaker! I really like the thing. I've mentioned it before but it's a great solution to pick up some irl awareness when there is someone else around. The sound quality is passable but the 3d sound works better than I thought it would with a neckband.

Crayon

Started playing Hubris and fell a couple of times while climbing the rocks at the very beginning.
After all that climbing in Horizon I just yelled like a crazy person "AGAIN WITH THIS CLIMBING SHIT!!" and turned it off.

Will get back to it when I'm relaxed & patient 😄

I just went through similar but I'll keep going in just a bit. I was a bit overdressed and it'll take me a sec to get used to that jump. It has a pretty distinct feeling of falling and that's the one thing that gets me so I'm going to chill for 20 min or so.

But devs...the climbing... It's time we had a word. This games so far is what I've been wanting since I was a lil bb: a basic shooter-platformer like the olden days, but one that I can be in. Like they play games in the future. Like tron. Not saying this necessarily a shining example because I've barely started, but basically this style of game.

But those games didn't have a bunch of hanging and climbing. They had a bit here and there, but nothing analogous of these extended sections of hand-over-hand traversal. Hell horizon was a whole climbing game. Good thing the controls and collision with handholds was excellent. In hubris, it's just so so and the feeling of playing those generous sections is instant buzzkill.

Devs, I beg you, it's time to chill on the climbing. Pulling myself up a ledge? All about it. Tedious, dk2-era overhead hand hikes? I'm good. Familiarity breeds contempt and basic climbing is now vraf in a bad way.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Yes Zouk I'm the first one to feel like an old man yelling at a cloud when I quit that game 😆

And I still have not gone back to it yet.
Diablo still has me in its claws.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So selling an XR headset for $3500 now doesn't sound like a good thing now huh?

Apple Reportedly Expects To Sell Fewer Than 400,000 Vision Pro Headsets Next Year Due To Production Snags

The “complexity” of the Vision Pro’s design and “difficulties in production” has prompted Apple to drop its 2024 production target for the device to less than 400,000 units, the Financial Times reported, citing unnamed sources close to the iPhone-maker and Luxshare, the Chinese manufacturer tasked with assembling the headset. A key issue with the production of the device reportedly stems from the complexity of its design, especially Apple’s decision to use two expensive high-resolution micro-OLED displays—one for each eye—whose production has been marred by low yields.

www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2023/07/03/apple-will-reportedly-make-fewer-than-400000-vision-pro-headsets-next-year-due-to-production-snags/amp/

So this is the "trick" that Apple is pulling? Just so happen, it's hard to make a headset that's 3 years better than everyone else. You want me to believe Apple's suppliers just told them this?

Clearly demand is lower than they thought for this headset.

mako

What games have I missed in the last couple months? Haven't had time to play VR recently but that all changes soon.

SilentUser

What games have I missed in the last couple months? Haven't had time to play VR recently but that all changes soon.
Some pretty cool games came out in the last few weeks: Synapse, Hubris, Beat Saber, Pixel Ripped 1978, C-Smash VRS, Surviv3.
It is cools to see the diversity of genres and some are pretty good in terms of overall quality.

mako

Some pretty cool games came out in the last few weeks: Synapse, Hubris, Beat Saber, Pixel Ripped 1978, C-Smash VRS, Surviv3.
It is cools to see the diversity of genres and some are pretty good in terms of overall quality.
Oh nice, thanks for that. Any favourites out of them?

SilentUser

Oh nice, thanks for that. Any favourites out of them?
I think Synapse and Beat Saber are the stand outs, but it depends on your taste :) Oh, have you tried Red Matter 2? It is a sci-fi puzzle game with incredible IQ, it is out of this world (pun intended!). It is incredibly sharp in a way I never thought PSVR2 could be, even though I played quite a good number of sharp games.

Crayon

Ugh my controllers are so finicky charging. I stopped a session earlier today, and I checked the controller batteries before I shut it down because you always have to as the capacity is so poor. The left one was low so I plugged it in.

I pick it up now and it's so dead the system throws the message that is has to turn off. >:0 This has happened before. Actually these days I seem to get more devices that are picky about what you plug them into. We have a space atop a set of drawers that has a bundle of long USB charging cables hooked to a powered Anker hub. It a space for charging all kind of shit. The cables are like long and of varying quality so it's not an ideal setup. These controllers though argh.

I've been playing a bunch of hubris! It's got less climbing than the intro section but still regular intervals. I feel like I should turn up the difficulty. The enemies are really easy.

So if you are looking to try this game, so far I would say it's slow paced generic light scifi adventure. It alternates between traversal which is climbing/ platforming(fun!)/swimming(also fun), puzzling, crafting, dialog scenes, and combat. All these elements simple and breezy. All of them. There is no real core to the game. It is just a light and generic scifi adventure. It's well executed though. Looks good. Interface is good. Level and enemy designs are sound.

It's actually a pretty nice game and I keep going back just to get some VR therapy. It's a complete and we'll produced, low impact game that is managing to keep me going with a story. Now I hope that fucking controller is charging so I can play some more soon

Last edited:

SilentUser

Synth Riders celebrates 5 years with free songs and a retrowave retrospective​

Synth Riders celebrates 5 years with free songs and a retrowave retrospective

Go “back to the synths” as the creator of the PS VR2 dance rhythm title looks back at the story so far and releases new tracks.

mako

I think Synapse and Beat Saber are the stand outs, but it depends on your taste :) Oh, have you tried Red Matter 2? It is a sci-fi puzzle game with incredible IQ, it is out of this world (pun intended!). It is incredibly sharp in a way I never thought PSVR2 could be, even though I played quite a good number of sharp games.
Awesome, I'll definitely pick up Synapse and Red Matter 2 by the looks of it. Beat Saber I'll give a miss as Synth Riders is still sitting there mostly unplayed.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ugh my controllers are so finicky charging. I stopped a session earlier today, and I checked the controller batteries before I shut it down because you always have to as the capacity is so poor. The left one was low so I plugged it in.

I pick it up now and it's so dead the system throws the message that is has to turn off. >:0 This has happened before. Actually these days I seem to get more devices that are picky about what you plug them into. We have a space atop a set of drawers that has a bundle of long USB charging cables hooked to a powered Anker hub. It a space for charging all kind of shit. The cables are like long and of varying quality so it's not an ideal setup. These controllers though argh.

I've been playing a bunch of hubris! It's got less climbing than the intro section but still regular intervals. I feel like I should turn up the difficulty. The enemies are really easy.

So if you are looking to try this game, so far I would say it's slow paced generic light scifi adventure. It alternates between traversal which is climbing/ platforming(fun!)/swimming(also fun), puzzling, crafting, dialog scenes, and combat. All these elements simple and breezy. All of them. There is no real core to the game. It is just a light and generic scifi adventure. It's well executed though. Looks good. Interface is good. Level and enemy designs are sound.

It's actually a pretty nice game and I keep going back just to get some VR therapy. It's a complete and we'll produced, low impact game that is managing to keep me going with a story. Now I hope that fucking controller is charging so I can play some more soon

When you said "fun", did you mean that for real or were you being funny?

Top Bottom