• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Oh nice, thanks for that. Any favourites out of them?
My favorites remain Resident Evil Village & Gran Turismo 7.
The Star Wars game was fun and I enjoyed Saints & Sinners 1 and 2.
Pistol Whip is great if you wanna fall on your ass while standing up.

Horizon was spectacular looking but take your time exploring and messing about otherwise it's just a climbing simulator.

Welcome aboard man! 😃

EDIT: Moss book 1 and 2 ❤️

Last edited:

SilentUser

Horizon was spectacular looking but take your time exploring and messing about otherwise it's just a climbing simulator.

Welcome aboard man! 😃

Man, I have yet to buy Moss. Tried this weekend on my brother's Quest 2 and, even though the graphics were clearly held by that old chipset, the game was exuding charm! Absolutely adorable.

mako

Welcome aboard man! 😃

GOOOOLLLLLLDDD

Thank you!

How long did Star Wars take to complete? It's on my list.

sncvsrtoip

For players who owned the original game on PlayStation will be able to upgrade free of charge when it releases at the end of the month. The Room VR: A Dark Matter on PSVR2 will feature higher resolution assets and visuals, and support for rumble.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

It seems a "Sony style" price cut has happened (added value instead of reducing price). The Call of the Mountain bundle is selling for the price of the headset with no game with free GT7 added.
If I cared for those games I would buy it straight away, but since I don't, I'm going to keep waiting until December (or a new "bundle" with other games).

Surfheart

Sony are going to Vita this thing aren’t they? I’ve put my headset back in the box, so tired of all the typical VR fare they are shovelling onto the PSVR2, I’m just so jaded by it. Maybe my expectations were too high But I’m well and truly tired of the shallow, janky, low budget experiences that the library seems to be predominantly comprised of.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sony are going to Vita this thing aren’t they? I’ve put my headset back in the box, so tired of all the typical VR fare they are shovelling onto the PSVR2, I’m just so jaded by it. Maybe my expectations were too high But I’m well and truly tired of the shallow, janky, low budget experiences that the library seems to be predominantly comprised of.
Considering the state of AAA gaming, that will only get much worse with the new acquisitions war, I'll take janky indies anytime over GAAS crap or ultra emotional moviegames.

PanzerCute

What were you expecting, one AAA every month on a hardware that will sell between 5 to 10 millions?

Don't mean to be rude, but I really dont get these posts, and the line up is killer.

Minsc

Gold Member
What were you expecting, one AAA every month on a hardware that will sell between 5 to 10 millions?

Don't mean to be rude, but I really dont get these posts, and the line up is killer.

I personally would love to see more porting of existing AAA games like GTA7 and RE Village to the device, since it's capable of it. Sure there's RE4 coming, but there could be hundreds more if Sony wanted, and their competition can't do shit about it - at least Quest etc, mobile hardware is way too weak to run the games even with reprojection.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I personally would love to see more porting of existing AAA games like GTA7 and RE Village to the device, since it's capable of it. Sure there's RE4 coming, but there could be hundreds more if Sony wanted, and their competition can't do shit about it - at least Quest etc, mobile hardware is way too weak to run the games even with reprojection.
I think that would be for the PSVR4.

Killjoy-NL

Love PSVR2. GT7 and Pavlov are outstanding, although I'm not really into racing games and having to stand when playing Pavlov is a bit of a con.

Having said that, I think the best thing about PSVR2 is probably cinema-mode.
It's a pretty cool second screen for when my gf wants to watch tv and tbh I kinda prefer to be cut-off entirely from the outside world for a bit.
Cinema-mode with the 3D Pulse headset is an amazing way to experience regular games, minus some setbacks in terms of resolution and a 'clear' image.

Romulus

My brother in law finally came over for a VR session. Even though we have a pcvr setup, I decided to show him GT7 first to avoid pc fuckery because I was short on time. Not to mention he was an old school ps1 GT fan, so it made sense.

He was blown the hell away. He played Dirt Rally VR on psvr1 years ago but this sent him over the edge to buy a psvr2. His son already has a ps5 so it makes it even easier.

I did warn him the hardware just came out and there is a lack of games. He pointed at the social screen with GT still on it. "THAT alone is worth every penny. Amazing. And it's the full campaign? Everything?"

"Yup."

"I'm sold."

He should get it Friday so I might help him with setup. And btw this was just the controller experience, not pedals or even the wheel.

Last edited:

Crayon

I think expectations too high. But maybe just by a little. I also expected more drops from sony themselves but I guess it has only been like 5 months. It could pick up but I'm not holding my breath.

Me though.... I'm very happy with the library so far! I think there is a different standard for vr software. I don't mean I'm willing to play worse games, but I'm willing to wait for longer stretches between the good games. As of now, it's been 5 monts and the games for me and my situation I've got a handful of really excellent games. Considering there is no replacement for vr, I am stoked. And there is no question that the best games are getting to a new level of quality.

Alyx, like many of valve's projects, was an anomaly but it is an asirational effort that other releases are steadily marching towards. GT7, RE8, Pavlov, Walking Dead, Hubris, Red Matter, etc are NOT "experiences and demos". Those are games that are either wholesale ports of aaa games or solid mid-tiers. Low-poly rythm shooters or gimmicky roguelikes or whatever are still going to come out but if you want to play something higher grade, it's there. It not a torrent of higher grade games but it's been a reliable stream of releases that represent a step up from the previous vr standard.

Crayon

Love PSVR2. GT7 and Pavlov are outstanding, although I'm not really into racing games and having to stand when playing Pavlov is a bit of a con.

Having said that, I think the best thing about PSVR2 is probably cinema-mode.
It's a pretty cool second screen for when my gf wants to watch tv and tbh I kinda prefer to be cut-off entirely from the outside world for a bit.
Cinema-mode with the 3D Pulse headset is an amazing way to experience regular games, minus some setbacks in terms of resolution and a 'clear' image.

Dude I fucked up my trick knee a bit playing pavlov. And I've never tripped on and knocked over so many things in my life. I have some pullys and I was doing nothing but natural turning (omg so great. Biggest upgrade from vr1), but I really need to start using the stick to turn in that game. It just.... really exciting lol. Enough to go duck behind a car and slam my coffee table. The best space I have is basically 4'x5'. It's acceptable for the slower games where I can remember I have furniture but in pavlov I turn into a wild animal in a tiny cage lol.

SilentUser

Agreed (minus the GTA7 part 🤣 j/k). Hopefully Sony is commited to making hybrid titles like it was rumored to, as I must say I absolutely adore the hybrids I played (Village, Demeo). I'm still not that worried for the future of PSVR2 when it comes to 1st party titles simply because we do not know what games most of their studios are actually working on, even in flat (which is a massive surprise! What are they waiting for?).

I think expectations too high. But maybe just by a little. I also expected more drops from sony themselves but I guess it has only been like 5 months. It could pick up but I'm not holding my breath.

It's just going to get more disappointing from here, until the day the last thread of newness really wears off and you realize there is nothing new and fun to play, and you box it up and throw it in a closet. Some days I still get my Quest out and try to play something, which lasts about 10 minutes until it just feels like too much effort to just revisit old games I've already played a million times.

This is the cycle with VR, and so far no company has been able to create enough compelling content to turn it around. Sony included.

Last edited:

gunstarhero

Being a fan of the original arcade when I was a kid, I have high hopes for this one. Seeing they brought back the Uzi (but silver???) is great, and the color palette and pacing seems on point. Also like the stylized graphics - it kind of builds on the original pixel art in a way.

Kind of bummed they didn't include the original in some way.

Hope the reviews are good - would love to pick this up.

Crayon

It's just going to get more disappointing from here, until the day the last thread of newness really wears off and you realize there is nothing new and fun to play, and you box it up and throw it in a closet. Some days I still get my Quest out and try to play something, which lasts about 10 minutes until it just feels like too much effort to just revisit old games I've already played a million times.

This is the cycle with VR, and so far no company has been able to create enough compelling content to turn it around. Sony included.

No maybe you misunderstood. I'm not dissaponted. The thing is great and I have reasonable expectations for my $550. That includes the fact that I have somewhat limited opportunities to play vr.

I have no reason to play old games for the millionth time because new interesting games are coming out faster than I can play them. We are having very different experiences.

PanzerCute

I would love it too, man! :D but what I mean is that its delusional to expect many huge games from top class dev with such a small install base, there is just no ROI for this kind of games, and not an unlimited level of devs and resources.

After 5 months we have GT7, Horizon, RE8 as AAA games, and an already extensive list of great AA with top production values like Red Matter 2, Hubris, Moss, Synapse, Beat Saber, Walking Dead, etc etc..

After 5 months with my PS5 my game library was way more limited.

And when you look at what is coming next, I mean, its already quite good even for 2023: Hellsweeper, Journey to Foundation, Behemoth, Crossfire Delta, Project Wingman, Arizona Sunshine 2, Resident fucking evil 4 remake, Undead Citadel, Grimlord, etc etc etc..

To each his own, but to me this is a strong line up, and Im absolutely certain that Sony has some good stuff to show.

LoveCake

I had hoped for better things from Operation Wolf VR, reviews seem to say it's not great, I was pretty hyped for this, but it's only two hours long as well :/

Danknugz

I do, and I used to be somewhat of a VR evangelist (Dk2 backer, rift cv1, rift s, reverb g2, index)

I could understand your reaction if he was complaining about PCVR because there isn't an established standard and it's flooded with shovelware and get rich quick schemes masquerading as "fun and innovative" games. I'd say the ratio is about 30:1 and i'm not exaggerating.

But the difference is that this is console VR which is supposed to have a lot more support given that developers for this device literally only have to worry about one single hardware configuration, it should be a cakewalk compared to developing for PCVR.

Also, the sony brand name carries "prestige" if you will and people come to expect a certain level of quality from the games and library whether it's VR or not. It was also ridiculously hyped shortly before launch with all kinds of astroturfing and paid shill reviewers. It's no surprise that people are disappointed.

PanzerCute

I do, and I used to be somewhat of a VR evangelist (Dk2 backer, rift cv1, rift s, reverb g2, index)

I could understand your reaction if he was complaining about PCVR because there isn't an established standard and it's flooded with shovelware and get rich quick schemes masquerading as "fun and innovative" games. I'd say the ratio is about 30:1 and i'm not exaggerating.

But the difference is that this is console VR which is supposed to have a lot more support given that developers for this device literally only have to worry about one single hardware configuration, it should be a cakewalk compared to developing for PCVR.

Also, the sony brand name carries "prestige" if you will and people come to expect a certain level of quality from the games and library whether it's VR or not. It was also ridiculously hyped shortly before launch with all kinds of astroturfing and paid shill reviewers. It's no surprise that people are disappointed.
Great post and thanks for your answer. I kinda agree with you on many things.

Sony is not doing much to push the hardware yet, thats for sure, but once again we are only 5 months in the gen, and they still released 3 AAA games from top class studios, and the line up is everything but dry.

I am not saying that things are perfect, not by all means, and Im very disappointed by Sony for now, but I really think that saying PSVR2 has no support or no games is far from the truth, I already bought more games than on PSVR1.

Lets just wait a bit before being all doom and gloom, who knows, in 1 year we could be discussing Astrobot 2, RE4, Killzone Vr, Twisted Metal, Half Life Alyx, Ace Combat 8 and so on. And all the games I mention are quite "realistic" to expect, not some fanboy fantasy (I'm too old for that :d)

SilentUser

Great post and thanks for your answer. I kinda agree with you on many things.

Sony is not doing much to push the hardware yet, thats for sure, but once again we are only 5 months in the gen, and they still released 3 AAA games from top class studios, and the line up is everything but dry.

I am not saying that things are perfect, not by all means, and Im very disappointed by Sony for now, but I really think that saying PSVR2 has no support or no games is far from the truth, I already bought more games than on PSVR1.

Lets just wait a bit before being all doom and gloom, who knows, in 1 year we could be discussing Astrobot 2, RE4, Killzone Vr, Twisted Metal, Half Life Alyx, Ace Combat 8 and so on. And all the games I mention are quite "realistic" to expect, not some fanboy fantasy (I'm too old for that :d)
Agreed 100%! Great post from D Danknugz and from you. Would just add that I'm fine for now because Sony is being waaaay too quiet in all fronts, including flat screen games, which makes me hopeful they will have some cool announcements to make soon.

Wonko_C

Question for those who have both PSVR1 and 2: Is the reprojection really that noticeable? I don't remember anybody making a fuss about it with PSVR1, and I never noticed it in all these years I had mine. Is the PSVR2's reprojection somewhat worse than VR1's?

darthvargi

Question for those who have both PSVR1 and 2: Is the reprojection really that noticeable? I don't remember anybody making a fuss about it with PSVR1, and I never noticed it in all these years I had mine. Is the PSVR2's reprojection somewhat worse than VR1's?
It's the same. I think people are blowing this out of proportion. I will say I think people have been exposed to other implementations like Oculus ASW so they notice it more. It's worse than ASW imo but I don't really even notice it unless I look for it.

Minsc

Gold Member

RE Village uses reprojection and it's AMAZING, moving my head feels like a smooth 120fps and in game movement is totally fine (at least with the settings I used). I loved every second of that game, and visually to me it looked absolutely great. The biggest knock on it is not the reprojection but the mura (at times).

GT7 looks a little choppier to me, I do wish that was native 90 or 120. But it's still amazing, and H:CotM is also good. So reprojection doesn't really bother me at all I guess.

That said if the rumored system wide improvement hits, I won't complain, but it's definitely not anything that I'd ever list as a negative from my experience.

Last edited:

Surfheart

Much the same I feel, just never really bothered me. The chromatic abberation on the PSVR2 lenses bothers me more as does the comfort of the headset compared to PSVR1; because of my IPD the lenses sit uncomfortably on my nose bridge.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

It's the same. I think people are blowing this out of proportion. I will say I think people have been exposed to other implementations like Oculus ASW so they notice it more. It's worse than ASW imo but I don't really even notice it unless I look for it.
I can't stand the headache-inducing Oculus ASW. It makes everything wobbly and not smooth, and SteamVR's implementation of it is not any better. I wish PCVR could do PSVR style reprojection, it's just smoother and artifact-free.

scydrex

Im playing Red Matter 2. It might be one of my GOTYs so far.

This is Sci-fi heaven.

Highly recommend buying it.
Have a backlog of psvr 2 games but just brought it. Will play it right away to see those graphics.

RE Village uses reprojection and it's AMAZING, moving my head feels like a smooth 120fps and in game movement is totally fine (at least with the settings I used). I loved every second of that game, and visually to me it looked absolutely great. The biggest knock on it is not the reprojection but the mura (at times).

GT7 looks a little choppier to me, I do wish that was native 90 or 120. But it's still amazing, and H:CotM is also good. So reprojection doesn't really bother me at all I guess.

That said if the rumored system wide improvement hits, I won't complain, but it's definitely not anything that I'd ever list as a negative from my experience.
I hope that if Sony release a PS5 Pro it can run for example GT7 at 90 in psvr2 mode hopefully. I really don't care if it runs the games at higher res maybewill take that. That would be a dream maybe idk if it can be done with a Pro.

Crayon

Same as vr1. It works great with head movement and natural turning. If you smooth turn with a stick it becomes noticeable. I can see clear after images when panning with a stick. Of course things like that are mitigated if you adapt to ignore them. I can say not everyone would be able to ignore this. Some would. After that, there's still the matter of being really bothered by it. Sometimes I notice it and I'll think about it. Sometimes I'll see it and think nothing of it. It's a compromise for a game to look good and respond quickly so in a way I'm glad it's there. I like seeing aaa graphics in vr games.

Top Bottom