• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator 5 Will Focus On Native Woman who “goes against gender norms"

ManofOne

Plus Member
I need to see a Predator Trump mashup now...lol

TrumpstarringinthenextPredatormovie-214a239e9d74f924d1f86fde3e5ab999.jpg

Cravis

I’m going to reserve judgment until we learn more. Hopefully the style/tone is that of something like the Revenant. I can see the Predator wiping out a tribe and the woman being the last survivor who has to fight or die. Has potential.

duri8bo

Neo Member
If it isn't like the last one then im in. Could be interesting. Slower, atmospheric, nice gorefest line Bone Tomahawk ...

I mean, isolated it sounds cool. Predator and natives duking it out. I'd watch that. If they'd just said, "comache woman has to fight predator" then I'd be like "hell yeah".

But then go and spoil it all by "bla bla gender norms".

How about you don't fucking talk about gender norms. How about you don't make an explicit point out of how women don't fight, but THIS ONE DOES. How about just letting the story unfold without beating us over the head with how we're supposed to percieve it?

Imagine if Alien and Terminator had been promoted like this?

These idiots who claim so hard to be feminists are the worst of all, always with the women are weak, but not the one me, a man, wrote! Ha HAA!
The other thing is, it makes the woman a bloody idiot, because the Predator would ignore her entirely if she didn't smash the patriarchy and get herself put on the 'acceptable hunting trophy' list.

Actually, now I think about it, her being pregnant and realising the Predator won't hurt her, thus enabling her to active hunt it, say to avenge her husband that it killed, would actually be a lot more interesting and unique an idea, and wouldn't involve a 'strong female character' being invincible to show men who's boss, in a franchise built on the idea of the classic macho 80's action stars getting slaughtered by an alien, that physically totally outclasses them.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
So it's going to be terrible and bomb, great.

I know no one was seriously hoping the fortunes of this franchise would improve under Disney, but still, sad.
Predator movies haven’t been good for 20 years, the last one was basically a comedy. This one sounds actually interesting if I’m being honest.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Predator 2 is great and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. Predators was good too though.
I researched Predator 2 the other day and it does still hold up.
It is also full of 80s action movie links:
Sequel to an Arnie Movie
2 actors from lethal weapon
The female lead from the Running man
Bill Paxton from Aliens
And one of the Johnson's from Die Hard

jason10mm

Gold Member
NA woman teams up with Predator to take out the real enemy.... the white man!
A pure NA cast like Apocalypto would be awesome, but I think you are right. The NA girl is gonna end up fighting Custer or some nonsense.

But I'm down for a hot fit NA babe running around in a loin cloth fighting predators and other savages. Maybe set it far enough back that there are some sabertooths and cave bears still around....fuck it throw in some dinosaur survivors :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
How long do we have to do this before we can safely say that there is no such thing as gender norms and move on to something more important like beestinction?

cryptoadam

Banned
Bomba incoming. Just more Hollywood diversity guild re writing scripts. I can't imagine fans are dying for dances with wolves x predator.

And funny enough the 2nd movie was already "woke" in a sense. Protagonist and hero was a black guy. But then again he was a cop, probably republican, and a straight male so he might as well have been WHYTE.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
A predator movie set in pre-European America does sound interesting, but they couldve done away with the whole 'native woman who goes against gender norms' shit. It's old America, of course its going to be a native character.
And if you want to show a strong woman, go for it and show it. Dont yell about it. Aliens producers didn't have to shout- 'look how Ripley is breaking gender norms!' Ripley was badass and everyone saw and knew it.
As the classic saying goes- show, dont tell.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Setting it during the Comanche wars is interesting but only if you’ve got a good cast and scenario to fight against the Predator.

PSYGN

I swear to God. The people in charge of movie studios must be retarded. Do they really think the people (men) who want to watch Predator movies are going to be interested in this shit?

They're doing a good job in having the opposite intended reaction.

Rat Rage

This news is a mixed bag.

The part about the Comanche woman sounds ok tbh.

Cloverfiled Lane 10 was an amazing movie. I believe the director has a lot of potential. I'm still disappointed Shane Black fucked "The Predator" up so hard (he was the least person I thought COULDN'T do the franhise justice), so having a good director on board can still lead to a disaster.

John Davis is producer again. It kind of baffles me this guy was the producer of the amazing first two movies as well as the two shitty ones that followed.

All in all I will remain very skeptical. I still don't think the people in charge of the franchise have understood its full potential.

Durask

Last December, it was reported that Trachtenberg was developing a movie for 20th Century Studios called Skulls which was written by Patrick Aison and set to be produced by longtime Predator franchise producer John Davis. At the time, it was said that, "'Skulls' will follow a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior."

Now, AVP Galaxy is reporting that the two projects are indeed one and the same.

Apparently, "Predator 5 will be set in the past (finally!) where it will focus around Native Americans before the territories were taken by the American settlers, featuring a First Nations cast."

So they will be portraying a First Nations society as, gasp, toxically masculine? Don't they know that only Western societies can be portrayed in a negative light?
That's sooooo problematic, I can't even.

I'm actually fine with it if it's done alright, I mean I get that this sounds "woke" but honestly to me it's a really old trope they're talking about, you might as well call Return of the King gender progressive.

MetalAlien

Banned
I feel sorry for that predator. She will probably be hunting him. Predator is going to be like "If she bleeds I can't kill it".

Last edited:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I researched Predator 2 the other day and it does still hold up.
It is also full of 80s action movie links:
Sequel to an Arnie Movie
2 actors from lethal weapon
The female lead from the Running man
Bill Paxton from Aliens
And one of the Johnson's from Die Hard

Hudson AND Vasquez from Aliens.

Also AvP had a chick survive and fight with the Predator. Didnt she even get its respect at the end ?
Indeed, which is also one of the few plot points of the original (and vastly superior) Aliens vs Predator comic/novel that made it into the film, even if they did change her from Japanese to African American.

yaw8llv.jpg

Ah, Machiko Naguchi, hopefully one day you'll get the big screen justice you deserve.

Last edited:

sol_bad

You guys are seriously getting triggered over this crappy comicbookmovies website and the wording of "gender norms"?

Please, find me the actual marketing that talks about "Skulls" and "gender norms". You won't find any. But you will find another random sight mentioning what comicbookfilms mentions. But it's not coming from any marketing or quotes, just assumptions. This crap website comicbookmovies doesn't even mention any sources. It's a site designed to trigger people just like on GAF.

Dan Trachtenberg is a great little director, 10 Cloverfield Lane was highly entertaining and intense. I have faith.

Nymphae

Banned
Please, find me the actual marketing that talks about "Skulls" and "gender norms". You won't find any. But you will find another random sight mentioning what comicbookfilms mentions.

Following his departure from ‘Uncharted’, Trachtenberg will now develop ‘Skulls’ for 20th Century Fox, which was newly acquired by Disney. ‘Skulls’ will follow a Comanche woman who goes against gender norms and traditions to become a warrior.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Since this movie sets in ancient time and fits perfectly with AvP opening scene

Could it posible that the ending of this movie were already foreshadowed in AvP when

The Alien outnumbered the Predator and Predator detonate the bomb and killed everyone

Last edited:

Ownage

Can you imagine if they made a sci-if film with a strong female lead and a racially diverse cast. Not only that they made a sequel dealing with issues such as motherhood with another racially diverse cast with a few strong female leads.

plus it took a stab a cooperate greed and how man is inhumain to fellow man.

But then they lose sight of what made the the first two films excellent so tried to make two sequels one admittedly not so bad but plagued by production problems. Then they decided to make some prequels and started extending the universe of the film but make it rated for a wider audience.

what kind of madness would that be ?

can you imagine ?!?,
Sounds like ST: Discovery.

Fwiw, the first Predator was racially diverse.
First Nations tracker, a big black badass brotha, etc.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sounds like ST: Discovery.

Fwiw, the first Predator was racially diverse.
First Nations tracker, a big black badass brotha, etc.
No strong female lead. But the first predator is a masterpiece haven’t watched the 2nd in a while I think I should.

Top Bottom