• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator 5 Will Focus On Native Woman who “goes against gender norms"

sol_bad

Still no strawman. It's another way of saying "most of you are judging that movie negatively based on the rumor, but same could have been said about Mad Max at the time and it was a great movie". I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, just showing a counter-argument.
By the definition you wrote yourself, I didn't fabricate a position (Mad Max being woke is MY position), nor did I argue against it. I do argue against people assuming the Predator movie will be bad for being woke, but that's not fabricated at all, it's displayed in most of the reactions here.

And the last Mad Max film came out JUST BEFORE all this woke culture war crap came about. I agree with what you are saying, if Mad Max were released today, people would be reacting like they are in this thread. Insane how much things have changed in the last 5 years.

Birdo

Banned
I wonder how people here would have reacted to the announcement of Mad Max Fury Road.
"Hey guys, you know what ? The next Mad Max will focus on a badass woman who rebels against patriarchy by smuggling oppressed women in her truck. Max spends most of the time gagged and bound, he's not even driving the car. Actually his car isn't even in the film."
Shitty movie, right ? ;)

Fury Road wasn't announced as "Woke" because it wasn't.

Furiosa has one fight in the whole film where Max overpowers her. Then he has to save her life at the end by giving her his blood.

If it was made today, those two things would be reversed.

Arkam

This will be a turd sandwich... and then be praised by people who didn’t watch it.

that is if they Can manage to make a predator film that doesn’t reek of “direct to video” which seems to be a tall order for the series.

Series should never have been. Should have just been the single film.

Edit: Also laughing at the idea of her being Comanche. That speaks to the ignorance of the masses. The Comanche were absolute monsters and wiped out as many Native Americans as the Europeans (not counting disease). And they took slaves too! But somehow they will be portrayed as righteous.

Last edited:

nkarafo

And the last Mad Max film came out JUST BEFORE all this woke culture war crap came about. I agree with what you are saying, if Mad Max were released today, people would be reacting like they are in this thread. Insane how much things have changed in the last 5 years.
Have you ever heard of that tale with the shepard who lies about the wolves attacking all the time for fun and when the real wolf strikes nobody believes him?

They completely ruined female leads now. With all the virtue signalling and beating over the head, its going to be very hard for a honest attempt of a female lead without an agenda to not be judged as another virtue signal or feminist agenda crap.

Its their fault. Strong women leads were plentiful in the past and some of the best movies ever include them. But they tried so hard to convince us they never existed and its only now that stunning and brave women do it. Its going to take a while until this stain clears now.

YuLY

What are they doing to this poor francise man. Cant we just get Jason Statham or something as a space marine on a distant lush planet fighting predators with a laser gatling gun. Macho one liners galore and gore. How hard can it be...

oagboghi2

Do you have a problem with female leads?
I have a problem with bad movies using “woke” arguments to justify their trash existence.

oh, and lol at trying to paint me as anti women. Typical SJW tactic

Well I dunno about you but reading this thread title just reduced the size of my manhood by a percentage. Oh, yeah, that's a thing. These people want us to all become ken dolls asap, we must resist their evil plans to de-man us.
Another retarded @Tschumi post.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard of that tale with the shepard who lies about the wolves attacking all the time for fun and when the real wolf strikes nobody believes him?

They completely ruined female leads now. With all the virtue signalling and beating over the head, its going to be very hard for a honest attempt of a female lead without an agenda to not be judged as another virtue signal or feminist agenda crap.

Its their fault. Strong women leads were plentiful in the past and some of the best movies ever include them. But they tried so hard to convince us they never existed and its only now that stunning and brave women do it. Its going to take a while until this stain clears now.

A very good take.

"But why do you care, what if the movie is good?"~ etc, I see this dismissal all too much. It's the most thin argument they eventually reach for because it requires no further input. A hand wave.

We know the motivations of the people making the movie, usually because they're telling us they hate us, and then when they're watching the movie there are slaps to the face of the viewer including but not limited to actions of superhuman power out so that we know she's STRONG, or a witty line she uses to spite another character who might otherwise doubt her abilities, usually a male and can include the antagonist.

I can't make myself braindead and ignore this shit. Especially when we have the experience of the older generations of media to contrast with.

petran79

Banned
If the female protagonist gets the same beating Dutch did, I am fine. But no, they have to respect and protect the female body so it will be t-rated not even showing few tits.

Concept of natives fighting against predator in the past is pretty cool but I have 0 trust they will make good movie out of it.

I've lost count of the times a movie has decided or displayed this mentality as the foremost method of capturing audience interest..

..and sol_bad sol_bad has turned up in the same thread to insist it's insignificant and isolated and generally dismiss the now well-established, and persistently intrusive and unenjoyable trend as not happening and everyone is imagining things.

He's done this so often that it's beyond predictable and is embarrassing to watch someone protest that there is nothing to see here when the fireworks and flames are raging behind them.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I've lost count of the times a movie has decided or displayed this mentality as the foremost method of capturing audience interest..

..and sol_bad sol_bad has turned up in the same thread to insist it's insignificant and isolated and generally dismiss the now well-established, and persistently intrusive and unenjoyable trend as not happening and everyone is imagining things.

He's done this so often that it's beyond predictable and is embarrassing to watch someone protest that there is nothing to see here when the fireworks and flames are raging behind them.
It happens every single fucking time. Look at the previous Bird of Prey threads.

sol_bad

I have a problem with bad movies using “woke” arguments to justify their trash existence.

oh, and lol at trying to paint me as anti women. Typical SJW tactic

Another retarded @Tschumi post.

There is absolutely nothing to go on about this film. All we know is that a Predator film is being made and that this other film Skulls might be one and the same. Absolutely no marketing or story details have been officially revealed.

Even if Skulls and this Predator are the same thing, the script may have changed and evolved. The wording used was used by a no name website, it doesn't come from the studio or Dan Trachtenberg.

That's why I'm asking if you hate female leads, it's literally all we might know about the film. That it has a female lead.

I'm not saying it never happens, it does happen. Mulan being a perfect example and it was shit.

Last edited:
Against gender norms? Pretty sure we've been getting bad ass women in films for decades, such as Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, etc etc.

Because it's way in the past dealing with a tribal native civilization would be the idea, I'd assume. Like someone else said I feel like the wording they're using is simply because of our woke era, like if Terminator Aliens came out today they'd mention how the leads "defy gender norms to become heroes" most likely.

sol_bad

Against gender norms? Pretty sure we've been getting bad ass women in films for decades, such as Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, etc etc.

I have to say, I do love comments like this as well. People these days argue that we have had bad ass women for decades and that movies these days should stop marketing films with bad ass women. Yet, it's always the same 2 names that ever pop up and those movies are from decades ago.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I have to say, I do love comments like this as well. People these days argue that we have had bad ass women for decades and that movies these days should stop marketing films with bad ass women. Yet, it's always the same 2 names that ever pop up and those movies are from decades ago.

Some recent examples could be Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Grace (Dark Fate), and many more.

I never said they should stop marketing films with strong female leads. I didn't think they should say this is going against gender norms when - and this is why I used those examples in the first place - films have been going against gender norms for decades. This isn't an original idea.

To be honest, I'm actually looking forward to see how this film pans out. It can't be worse than the last Predator movie anyway.

Top Bottom