• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator 5 Will Focus On Native Woman who “goes against gender norms"

Nymphae

Banned
Exactly my point, the website isn't quoting anyone, no mention if they even talked to anyone at the studio. Discussingfilm is choosing to use those words.

Meh, nearly everyone is reporting on that, from what I can tell based on that DF story. Might be fake, might be an unsourced leak, but it doesn't sound all that outlandish for a current year project. Do you not believe it? I will not be surprised at all if this is what they end up doing.

sol_bad

Meh, nearly everyone is reporting on that, from what I can tell based on that DF story. Might be fake, might be an unsourced leak, but it doesn't sound all that outlandish for a current year project. Do you not believe it? I will not be surprised at all if this is what they end up doing.

DiscussingFilm is basically the only site that reported on Skulls last year, maybe 1 or 2 other sites but they quoted Discussingfilm.

The main sites, Collider, Deadline, Variety and Hollywood Reporter are not reporting on this click bait wordery.

When the marketing team kicks in and they use the words "gender norms", then get triggered. For now, itsa no name website choosing to use those words. Have you even heard of Discussingfilm before today?

Nymphae

Banned
DiscussingFilm is basically the only site that reported on Skulls last year, maybe 1 or 2 other sites but they quoted Discussingfilm.

The main sites, Collider, Deadline, Variety and Hollywood Reporter are not reporting on this click bait wordery.

When the marketing team kicks in and they use the words "gender norms", then get triggered. For now, itsa no name website choosing to use those words. Have you even heard of Discussingfilm before today?

lol I don't know why you think people are on the edge of their seats screaming about this, it's a plausible sounding narrative direction and people are responding to that. If it's fake it's fake, NBD.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only good Pred movie I've seen is #1. Even with it's low budget plasma cannon effects.

The Alien vs Pred fights in AVP were cool to see (rest of movie was trash).

#2 was meh. When the Predator gets intertwined with urban cities, it' loses it's flair. Although the part he flips through his infrared modes in the meat locker was cool.

That one Pred movie that seemed like it was shot in semi-darkness the entire time was crap.

I didn't see all of them. So maybe the ones I missed are good.

sol_bad

lol I don't know why you think people are on the edge of their seats screaming about this, it's a plausible sounding narrative direction and people are responding to that. If it's fake it's fake, NBD.

People are being outraged over the "bending gender norms" wording and saying they won't watch it because of it.
I believe the film will have a female protagonist, no doubt and I don't think that is an issue at all.
Based on a tweet from Dan Trachtenberg it seems like he was hoping to make and release this film without people realising it was a Predator film. I might be reading the tweet wrong though. If he were able to achieve that, that would have blown my mind. It's not often we get a film like From Dusk Till Dawn or The Descent where the first half is completely different to the second half. Even his film 10 Cloverfield Lane hid the sci fi elements in the marketing.

Basically, the person that leaked this film is a bit of a dick.

oagboghi2

Except that they won't, because they aren't that stupid.

But what the marketing team tries has nothing to do with what's in the script, so can you cut the bullshit already?

Last edited:

HarryKS

It has to be better than the last Predator movie.

Probably the worst movie I've seen in the past 5-6 years. Didn't think it was gonna be good, but didn't expect it to be THAT bad. Even the actors look and sound like they're just part of one big joke.

InDaGulag

Sounds like an improvement over the last film. Having a Predator face off against Native America in pre-columbian times sounds neat.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
  • I'm reading all this and I thought all this time there was just Predator 1 & 2 and that AVP trash. There are other Predator movies? Glad I gave up on Hollywood before the millennium. I haven't really missed anything good.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

the only two good films in this franchise were the original and PredatorS

PLOT twist the native girl is the daughter of King Willie

"Predator 5 will be set in the past (finally!) where it will focus around Native Americans before the territories were taken by the American settlers, featuring a First Nations cast."

More like an ancestor by the sounds of it.

Honestly if written competently and it’s like Apocalypto with Predators it might be pretty cool?

Last edited:

Probably the worst movie I've seen in the past 5-6 years. Didn't think it was gonna be good, but didn't expect it to be THAT bad. Even the actors look and sound like they're just part of one big joke.

Can't be any worse than the previous movie.

Bad taste! That film was a lot of fun... But probably least of the Predator movies besides AvP? They're all more fun than most movies released in a given year, though.

MilkLizard

What does that even mean? If she‘s just a physically strong woman, like Gina whatshername on The Mandalorian I don‘t see a problem. If she‘s like genderfluid or whatever that would be just stupid as I doubt natives back then had the time for shenanigans like that.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Only good Pred movie I've seen is #1. Even with it's low budget plasma cannon effects.

The Alien vs Pred fights in AVP were cool to see (rest of movie was trash).

#2 was meh. When the Predator gets intertwined with urban cities, it' loses it's flair. Although the part he flips through his infrared modes in the meat locker was cool.

That one Pred movie that seemed like it was shot in semi-darkness the entire time was crap.

I didn't see all of them. So maybe the ones I missed are good.

I really like Pred 1 and 2. AvP was a great popcorn movie that had to happen at the time. :)

But rest.... yeah.

xrnzaaas

It's funny, because I honestly thought it couldn't get any worse than Shane Black's Predator.

I wish someone gave Predators 2 a shot, the first one was very decent and it had potential for a sequel (unlike Arnie's original film).

Last edited:
Can you imagine if they made a sci-if film with a strong female lead and a racially diverse cast. Not only that they made a sequel dealing with issues such as motherhood with another racially diverse cast with a few strong female leads.

plus it took a stab a cooperate greed and how man is inhumain to fellow man.

But then they lose sight of what made the the first two films excellent so tried to make two sequels one admittedly not so bad but plagued by production problems. Then they decided to make some prequels and started extending the universe of the film but make it rated for a wider audience.

what kind of madness would that be ?

can you imagine ?!?,

You know, I'm sensing a certain sardonic edge to your post. :D

I grew up with the Alien films as well as the first 2 Terminators. My friends and I all worshipped those movies at the time. As an adult I looked back at them and appreciated the fact that they included strong female characters which most films of the time didn't. This seemed pretty cool and I liked the fact that they were challenging norms and making something that was original.

However, what separates those movies from the stuff we get today is that they were great films that happened to have women in them. Of course their gender was central to both franchises but we weren't being preached at or attacked. By all means have strong female characters in films but when studios do this as a way of attacking men it just comes across as bitter and resentful. Why would I want to watch that?

So many of these female led actions movies contain constant digs at men, endlessly saying how stupid and pathetic we are. Can you imagine how bad the first Alien film would be if every 5 minutes Ripley turned to the camera and said something like "women are the best and boys are stupid, yeah!". It would totally ruin the film.

You can sense it in the press releases that they are making these films for political purposes as much as anything. It's all part of trying to smash the patriarchy. I think they even said that the last Terminator film was going to upset a lot of men and that was a good thing. And then they wonder why the films bomb at the box office.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
You know, I'm sensing a certain sardonic edge to your post. :D

I grew up with the Alien films as well as the first 2 Terminators. My friends and I all worshipped those movies at the time. As an adult I looked back at them and appreciated the fact that they included strong female characters which most films of the time didn't. This seemed pretty cool and I liked the fact that they were challenging norms and making something that was original.

However, what separates those movies from the stuff we get today is that they were great films that happened to have women in them. Of course their gender was central to both franchises but we weren't being preached at or attacked. By all means have strong female characters in films but when studios do this as a way of attacking men it just comes across as bitter and resentful. Why would I want to watch that?

So many of these female led actions movies contain constant digs at men, endlessly saying how stupid and pathetic we are. Can you imagine how bad the first Alien film would be if every 5 minutes Ripley turned to the camera and said something like "women are the best and boys are stupid, yeah!". It would totally ruin the film.

You can sense it in the press releases that they are making these films for political purposes as much as anything. It's all part of trying to smash the patriarchy. I think they even said that the last Terminator film was going to upset a lot of men and that was a good thing. And then they wonder why the films bomb at the box office.
I think I love you.

what I love about those films is the characters just are.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I dont want to lump all Predators in together (there are good, decent Predators out there) but its time somebody spoke up about the problematic misogyny within the Predator community.

It is NEVER okay for a Predator to hit a woman, and is a symptom of the toxic masculinity within the trophy hunting business

Until Predators start realising we live in the 21st century, I say we boycott all future hunts

#NoMoreHunts

Last edited:
You'd be the expert on that subject matter if you liked the previous movie.
look I like movies that are awesome you know movies where predators blow people the pieces and s***. some might want to tell me that birdman was a great movie but you know something no one blows anyone to pieces in that film so what the hell do I care.

bender

What time is it?
look I like movies that are awesome you know movies where predators blow people the pieces and s***. some might want to tell me that birdman was a great movie but you know something no one blows anyone to pieces in that film so what the hell do I care.

Birdman was tedium personified but that doesn't change the fact that the last Predator movie was was dreck.

Last edited:
Birdman was tedium personified but that doesn't change the fact that the last Predator movie was was dreck.
I don't know someone would have to explain to me what their problem was with it otherwise I don't get it. I mean is it as good as the others no I would never say that but there's only so many movies a year where some alien monster rips people to pieces and I'm going to enjoy the ones that I get.

JonSnowball

Jesus Christ this movie was disappointing. I remember the lead up to it seeing Shane Black involved and thinking it'd be the best Predator film since the original...then there were story leaks that sounded so incredibly fucking stupid I didn't believe them....then I saw the movie....what a cobbled together poorly thought out dumb shit waste of a budget. The AVP films are masterpieces compared to this horrendous pile of thoughtless fermenting animal shit.

Jesus Christ this movie was disappointing. I remember the lead up to it seeing Shane Black involved and thinking it'd be the best Predator film since the original...then there were story leaks that sounded so incredibly fucking stupid I didn't believe them....then I saw the movie....what a cobbled together poorly thought out dumb shit waste of a budget. The AVP films are masterpieces compared to this horrendous pile of thoughtless fermenting animal shit.
You guys are so weird like the story was ever the strongest part.

Tschumi

Well I dunno about you but reading this thread title just reduced the size of my manhood by a percentage. Oh, yeah, that's a thing. These people want us to all become ken dolls asap, we must resist their evil plans to de-man us.

Alx

I wonder how people here would have reacted to the announcement of Mad Max Fury Road.
"Hey guys, you know what ? The next Mad Max will focus on a badass woman who rebels against patriarchy by smuggling oppressed women in her truck. Max spends most of the time gagged and bound, he's not even driving the car. Actually his car isn't even in the film."
Shitty movie, right ? ;)

Last edited:

notseqi

Your attempt to defend this movie, as if the marketing mentioning ”gender norms” means anything to the actual script.
It's crappy worded and probably aims to draw the woke audience aswell but in that setting the conflict of turning into a warrior woman definitely is a major plot point. In addition you can predict a largely 'realistic' world and not some fantasy with Amazon-type warrior women.

What's more damning is that we're getting this kind of movie in a soft time where Hollywood is being didactic and that a rough edge is nothing to be desired.

I wonder how people here would have reacted to the announcement of Mad Max Fury Road.
"Hey guys, you know what ? The next Mad Max will focus on a badass woman who rebels against patriarchy by smuggling oppressed women in her truck. Max spends most of the time gagged and bound, he's not even driving the car. Actually his car isn't even in the film."
Shitty movie, right ? ;)
Speaking only for myself, I'd have reacted by pointing out that strawman fallacies are a very poor foundation for a counterpoint.

Also, if I can forgive Charlize Theron for Aeon Flux then Mad Max Fury Road really isn't going to jostle my almonds.

Last edited:

Alx

Speaking only for myself, I'd have reacted by pointing out that strawman fallacies are a very poor foundation for a counterpoint.

That's not a strawman fallacy as the depiction I'm making of the movie is actually legit. Only showing that "woke points" don't prevent a movie from being good. (same comment I was making earlier with Mulan, actually)

Last edited:

Alx

It's not a fabricated position, Mad Max Fury Road IS the story of a strong woman smuggling oppressed women from a patriarchal society, it's 100% factual, and not the position I'm pretending to comment.
It would have been a strawman if I described the opinion of someone offended by that plot, which I didn't, I just asked "so what about that other movie that is based on woke tropes too ?"

It's not a fabricated position, Mad Max Fury Road IS the story of a strong woman smuggling oppressed women from a patriarchal society, it's 100% factual, and not the position I'm pretending to comment.
Now you're just being dishonest and obtuse to defend your strawman - which was your fabrication of a response to the movie you reference (which we can also regard as whataboutism).

Here are your own words, the preamble to your strawman fallacy:

I wonder how people here would have reacted to..

By all means, continue to employ dishonesty, fabrications, whataboutism and obtuseness to make your so-called counterpoint. All it does is make it self-defeating and demonstrate the questionable methods you rely on to distract and derail from the genuine topic of this thread.

Last edited:

Alx

Now you're just being dishonest and obtuse to defend your strawman - which was your fabrication of a response to the movie you reference (which we can also regard as whataboutism).

Here are your own words, the preamble to your strawman fallacy:

By all means, continue to employ dishonesty, fabrications, whataboutism and obtuseness to make your so-called counterpoint. All it does is make it self-defeating and demonstrate the questionable methods you rely on to distract and derail from the genuine topic of this thread.

Still no strawman. It's another way of saying "most of you are judging that movie negatively based on the rumor, but same could have been said about Mad Max at the time and it was a great movie". I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth, just showing a counter-argument.
By the definition you wrote yourself, I didn't fabricate a position (Mad Max being woke is MY position), nor did I argue against it. I do argue against people assuming the Predator movie will be bad for being woke, but that's not fabricated at all, it's displayed in most of the reactions here.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Against gender norms? Pretty sure we've been getting bad ass women in films for decades, such as Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, etc etc.

Still no strawman.
Creating a fabrication to argue against the fabrication is the defintion of a strawman and, as I've pointed out clearly to you (despite your efforts to be obtuse) is exactly what you came in this thread to do.

Saying "Nu uh" when you've been dismantled doesn't make you credible. It's just further demonstration of your dishonesty.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
I can see the script now, the Predator will only be known as the “Daemon spirit of the forest” and the tribe will be deathly afraid of it. The girl who wants to be a warrior will go off to face it to prove herself and take revenge for the death of her parents which is why she wants to be a warrior in the first place.

Sounds like the plot of a Disney movie.

Top Bottom