• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

President Trump advocates for Government shutdown in September

Tagyhag

If the dems fuck this up in 2018 and 2020 I might just join Musk on Mars

Lol it's the Dem's natural ability to be given anything on a silver platter and still fuck up.

Like, Trump could literally tweet "And we have too many non-white Americans, next month we're going to have mass forced deportations of every race but glorious Aryans" and they still won't do SHIT.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I'm so torn. Not paying government workers while the president plays golf on the country's dime every weekend will hopefully alienate his base and give him that Antoinette look.

But that also would mean that people would have a really hard time surviving while this mess is sorted out.

Dude Abides

Banned
I don't understand what he thinks he's saying about the shutdown. Does he think that Democrats, not him and Republicans, will pay the electoral price if there is a shutdown?

Zolo

I don't understand what he thinks he's saying about the shutdown. Does he think that Democrats, not him and Republicans, will pay the electoral price if there is a shutdown?

I assume so. I guess he also figures Democrats'll come to the table if the government gets shut down.

Is it possible for the republicans to change it to a 51% vote, then right before elections change it back to 60%?

(Then, assuming they have 51% after the vote, change it again?)
Yeah. Technically. But then when the dems win they can change it back to 51.

Quixzlizx

I'm so torn. Not paying government workers while the president plays golf on the country's dime every weekend will hopefully alienate his base and give him that Antoinette look.

But that also would mean that people would have a really hard time surviving while this mess is sorted out.

His base probably thinks that federal government workers are lazy, corrupt Beltway fatcats #DrainTheSwamp

Blaming Dems and a call to arms to arms to all Republicans in 2018. If this ain't a declaration of war against societal progress I don't know what is. Dig deep boys we gonna be in for a long fight.

Why would his base care if federal employees get paid? Unless you think federal employees are part of his base?

Fox318

His base doesn't work for the government with the exception of military families.

His base is people who consume Fox News and forward racist emails about Michele Obama.

theWB27

Lol it's the Dem's natural ability to be given anything on a silver platter and still fuck up.

Like, Trump could literally tweet "And we have too many non-white Americans, next month we're going to have mass forced deportations of every race but glorious Aryans" and they still won't do SHIT.

But they have been doing shit

TwoDurans

Why would his base care if federal employees get paid? Unless you think federal employees are part of his base?

Depends on the severity. In 2015, people were saying we wouldn't be paying our troops during a shutdown. I believe it also effects workers like those at USPS, VA, recent retirees, people on govt pensions etc who could potentially be Trump supporters in Red States.

No way he keeps their support if they're struggling while he's enjoy the best chocolate cake in the world, simply the best.

Depends on the severity. In 2015, people were saying we wouldn't be paying our troops during a shutdown. I believe it also effects workers like those at USPS, VA, recent retirees, people on govt pensions etc who could potentially be Trump supporters in Red States.

No way he keeps their support if they're struggling while he's enjoy the best chocolate cake in the world, simply the best.

VA checks go out no matter what, even in a shutdown. Something in their founding act I think?

I am more confused why you seem to think federal employees support Trump. IME, most feds lean democratic, especially as the pubs have been threatening downsizing and pay cuts for the last ... ever?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
President threatening government shut down if his demands not fulfilled.

Nope I got nothing to say more.

Sadly there is nothing Trump can do to alienate most of supporters, they will defend him no matter what.

TwoDurans

VA checks go out no matter what, even in a shutdown. Something in their founding act I think?

I am more confused why you seem to think federal employees support Trump. IME, most feds lean democratic, especially as the pubs have been threatening downsizing and pay cuts for the last ... ever?

I don't think all of them, but surely somewhere out there is a gov't worker who supported Trump that isn't going to hit hard times because of a shut down. That's what I'm talking about.

FyreWulff

Is it possible for the republicans to change it to a 51% vote, then right before elections change it back to 60%?

(Then, assuming they have 51% after the vote, change it again?)

nope. gone forever once it's set, because there'd be no reason to put it back up if the Dems grab 51%+.

Also seriously govt shutdowns are so pointless. It's like having a massive bargaining chip and standing and then slicing legs off the table you're standing on to spite the guy laying on the floor.

Crayolan

This dude has no idea how democracy works lmao. He has the presidency and both houses and still whines because he just wants to be an outright dictator.

FStubbs

This should be repeated. The guy wants to be a tyrant.

Trump gets frustrated he doesn't get his way and attacks instutions with the hope they will bend or break to his will. He is absolutely hellbent on attacking anything perceived as a block to his agenda; judges, parliamentary rules, media etc. Basically any check or balance. He shows no interest in actually negotiating except by threat, no interest in amending positions to get legislative victories.

There's a real risk he invokes a blatantly illegal power grab and / or constitutional crisis.

Keep resisting as much as possible folks, any way you can.

Not too much longer before he attacks Democratic voters themselves via tax laws and other shenanigans. "Somebody needs to do something about these people!"

Also, rampant voter suppression makes getting a super majority quite easy.

president Trump advocates for Government shutdown in September? So, that means it's not happening, huh? Especially with all the "L"s he's been getting, lets hope this great push-back continues way beyond September and throughout his presidency.

"President" Trump

I much prefer "Little Bitch" Trump.

jaxom

Please tell me i don't understand american politics and this is not USA going closer to dictatorship ?

We really don't need this right now.

Please tell me i don't understand american politics and this is not USA going closer to dictatorship ?

We really don't need this right now.

No. If he vetoes the budget, the Congress can override his veto, and this might be one of the few situations where they would.

Top Bottom