• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Pro discontinued

Sold mine for 250 cash once I got my ps5. It was a decent machine but gimped in a lot of ways.. felt like a half measure. The no inclusion of a 4k drive being the biggest wtf.

Mine was at least quiet but I didn't get a launch unit

I sold mine 2 months before ps5 launch (to get more) for 320€ with 6 worthless games + 2 controllers.

Dunno if not having 4k drive were that big of a deal, they dont even sell 4k blurays anywhere.

Or at least not here, I checked most places that sell movies in my city and none had 4k blurays. Wanted to test one as never seen them, but I guess they are so rare that online order is only way to get them. (could be more widely available on other countries)

It is kind of funny that while PS4 pro sold around 250-280€ with one controller and no games, xbox one x had value of 100-150€ as used few months ago, sometimes they went for higher prices on our market sites/auctions, but usually even the 100€ ones were for sale multiple days.

Pro were the popular beast

Last edited:
Discontinuing the Pro version seems like they are trying to either improve the PS5 or save money for it. At this point, I don't think this is the best time to discontinue it, as the PS5 is still in it's early days, and people may still want to buy the PS4 Pro new, as they are not ready to but the newest model.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
So I should wait to sell my heavily used but still running perfectly launch day one. Because soon I can advertise it as a collectors item.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Discontinuing the Pro version seems like they are trying to either improve the PS5 or save money for it. At this point, I don't think this is the best time to discontinue it, as the PS5 is still in it's early days, and people may still want to buy the PS4 Pro new, as they are not ready to but the newest model.
I think it's basically that they are still making the base so they're basically figuring that if you're willing to pay more you'll get the 5 and if not you'll get the 4 and all those games you get will be locking you into eventually getting a 5

GametimeUK

PS4 Pro is the only thing that kept console gaming bearable for me. The OG PS4 just didn't have the legs for it and the Pro didn't blow me away either to be honest.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
RIP

i picked one up in 2018 for around $200 and it was a great introduction to the Playstation consoles. i had a lot of good times on that machine, and it is why i ended up getting a PS5.

next gen is upon us. it is time to move on. no need to support a machine that is struggling so hard with new releases. there are millions of these things out there, if you want one, it won't be hard to find. let them focus on new stuff.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I am all for moving on.

But then i demand from sony to stop base ps4 sales as well if their reasoning is to allocate more production to ps5.

Cuz if you believe this will speed up ps5 production you are in denail.

So stop all ps4 sales . This way they will feel the money pinch and are realy forced to produce millions of ps5's a month

Jtibh

Banned
Underwhelming 'upgraded' console. It's finally dead. Hopefully Sony does a better job next gen if they decide for this path again.
What? I challenge you to go back to base ps4 and tell me again if its underwhelming.

Unless you cant afford a 4k tv or you are one of those who buy a 30 inch 3k screen and cant tell the difference

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I am all for moving on.

But then i demand from sony to stop base ps4 sales as well if their reasoning is to allocate more production to ps5.

Cuz if you believe this will speed up ps5 production you are in denail.

So stop all ps4 sales . This way they will feel the money pinch and are realy forced to produce millions of ps5's a month
Except it makes a lot of sense to produce ps4 since they could cut to $199 and still make profit (and eventually will hopefully for those on a budget that want those ps4 games)

Aion002

I don't understand why Sony and Microsoft are killing off the superior versions of their Gen 8 consoles.
Because the base ones are cheaper and sell way more.

The majority of people don't give a shit over the improvements that the "pro" versions have.

I honestly believe that the Xbox Series is losing sales because most of the Xbox One users rather keep playing on it than upgrade to a new console.

That's why Sony was smart in making PS5 exclusives like Demon's Souls Remake and Returnal, for example. They give people enough reasons to get a new console.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Just sold mine on eBay for $450 bundled with Bloodborne GOTY, Uncharted 4, and The Last of Us Remastered. Also threw in a charging stand for the controller.

I think I got all those games used and bought the system for about $300?

People are crazy around Christmas.

Edit: also dinged ' em for $39 shipping

Last edited:
PS4 and Ps4 Pro are for different markets.
An improved PS4 is one that play the same games but for a far cheaper hardware price. Even if it means the build quality suffers.
An improved PS4 Pro is one that is more powerful, which technically IS PS5. PS5 is for all intent and purposes PS4 Pro Ultra, the Pro's successor.

Making PS4 Pro cheaper is useless. It would never be as cheap as the base PS4 and the people who care about saving money are not the same as those who want more performance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom