• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 issues are freaking me out.

protonion

People.
Buy your PS5 and don't let the internet ruin your fun.

There is a 97%+ chance you will have a perfect unit you will enjoy for years.

I still enjoy my 1st day ps1, ps2, ps3 and ps4.

If people were arsed to make posts about their totally fine ps5s you would see a multi million reddit thread now.

And in the tiny chance you are unlucky, warranty will take care of it.

McHuj

I’ve had two crashes, both from Demon’s when I went back to the nexus. Apart from that I’ve had no problems.

Had that as well. In the Nexus. This is likely just a Demon's Souls issue.

The real issue I'm having is that I can't charge the controller through the front USB port only the rear ones in rest mode.

TheKratos

Really? You’re in a thread and 100 out of 100 posters say that their PS5s are failing, you’re going to think “nah, not enough data to jump to a conclusion”? I bet you that you’ll think “that’s a high failure rate”.

To be fair the the topic is about failures so yeah people who enter are mostly the one with failures.

Meanwhile people who's ps5 is working perfecrly won't come to the forum at all and are probably swininging around New York or getting killed by demons as we speak.

Reactions: Isa
Makes sense.

I always have my consoles plugged in to an ethernet cord.

The recos in this thread to update the system via wifi is a odd as hell. You'd think that's the worse way since there's a better chance of wifi bombing for a few seconds (possibly screwing up an update) than a direct feed which should be more stable.

If it's true that wifi is better, I wonder what the issue is with ethernet cords. Sounds weird.
Sounds more than weird, it sounds made up honestly lol. I suppose there could be a small amount of consoles that have an issue with the port I guess.

Dolomite

Same reason Why I'm excited for the next gen, by held back on pre-orders. Launch consoles are such an exciting time, but also early adopters get shafted

TheMan

Just hard my first hard crash this am. Had COD running in background while an update as copying. All of a sudden the chill background noise was replaced by loud screeching and the system was unresponsive. Held down power for 10 sec and that didn’t work so I had to unplug. Working again now but this doesn’t bode well IMO.

• Empathy

xn0

I broke my DualSense controller within 5 minutes of turning on my PS5!

The DualSense was working great but when I pulled it out of the box it was only half charged. I grabbed my battery bank (that is capable of adaptive power delivery between 1.5A to 2.4A "fast charging" over USB) so that I could charge the controller while sitting on the couch playing. I loaded up Astro's PlayRoom and was going through an adaptive trigger heavy monkey challenge and my DualSense suddenly and audibly popped and turned off.

I switched to my the second controller I had luckily purchased and continued to play.

I tried charging the broken DualSense for 24 hours, I tried resetting it, and it wouldn't turn on. Being moderately electrically inclined I dismantled the broken controller looking for a dead battery, blown fuse, or fried voltage regulator. The battery tested fine on the multimeter, the power delivery leads from the USB port to the battery for recharge were working, no visible damage on the board, but after reassembly it still doesn't power on.

My best guess is that the DualSense motors were puling a lot of power while providing resistance during the monkey climbing scene and during that increased power draw from the DualSense my battery bank may have delivered more amps than the controller was designed for and blown out some components.

TLDR:
I would warn people to be careful charging your DualSense controller from a power delivery source that can deliver over 1.5 Amps, (like a 2 Amp fast wall charger, or 2.4 Amp adaptive battery bank) while playing a game.

Last edited:

kingwingin

Everything I've read that can cause a bricked system, I'm doing it all at the same time.

RD5vYO6.gif

Not disputing the numbers but shit, theres a PS5 thread on that subreddit with over 8 thousand comments and an array of differing issues. Just saying it's a genuine concern to have.

TGXVnqP.png
If you read through the thread, like 10 of those comments are people who actually have a bricked PS5. The rest of the thread is "OMG I'm scared", "Here's what we've heard", "My PS5 has a weird flicker, I think it's on the verge of bricking!" "Here's a totally bizarre list of things I'm not doing in order to avoid bricking" "I refuse to play Spiderman PS4 until they patch it!" type posts.

THEAP99

Banned
I'm scared to play black ops cold war on my ps5 tbh. My friend just bought it.. I'm downloading it.. Cod especially on my ps4 pro black ops 4 would crash it..

Anyone have issues with it? So far I've experienced not a single crash or issue with my ps5

For what it’s worth, as of last night I’ve stopped using rest mode and, while this is a small sample size admittedly, I do feel like the PS5 is even snappier and I haven’t noticed any hiccups while gaming today from either external or internal stored games.

Again, this is probably nothing, but just putting it out there

I'm scared to play black ops cold war on my ps5 tbh. My friend just bought it.. I'm downloading it.. Cod especially on my ps4 pro black ops 4 would crash it..

Anyone have issues with it? So far I've experienced not a single crash or issue with my ps5
I played all day yesterday, the game crashed about 3 times but no issues with the PS5 itself.

Thabass

I guess this needs to be said once a generation:

All consoles will always have a small percentage of users with some issues. The only reason why it's seems like a a bigger issue is that the internet exists so the issues are magnified.

I have not found one single issue with my PS5 other than a small crash on Spider-Man: Miles Morales and I just restarted the game and had zero issues onwards.

Last edited:

chigstoke

As with every launch, teething issues can and have always been a thing.

It's not just consoles either, it's anything electronic really. A work mate of mine has the iPhone 12 Pro Max and it refuses to charge sometimes or even load up or download apps.

The good thing is that it's not going to be a shit ton of systems with the issues. There will always be a small percentage.

Play it without fear. That's what I shall be doing when I grab mine on Thursday.

Enjoy your PS5's everyone :messenger_beaming:

pixelation

Concerns... CONCERNS!!!

No... but really, no one is forcing you to be an early adopter. You know there is a possibility of the console malfunctioning (always exists), if you're that worried then just purchase the extended warranty or wait it out.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What issues exactly?

Tou know you have e a year warranty to replace your system if you think there is any issue.

Said that I never had any issue with day one consoles.

Last edited:
Ok so nothing like "rebuilding database" or issues with the ps5, just the game itself?
No I haven’t had any of those issues. Only thr game crashed a few times. Seems like they’re doing a lot of updates to it. Had to close the game a few times because the playlist got updated.

After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

How are current PS5 Gaf users dealing with this news?

One user's issues doesn't mean the other 15 million are having any problems. You just have a defective unit, return it and get a new one.

dcx4610

Mine has coil whine/buzzing if you listen closely but I'm convinced they all do until proven otherwise.

Other than that, it's ran well. No crashes or weird glitches yet. I've powered it off, put it into rest mode with games loaded, launched multiple games, etc. and everything has worked perfectly. It's still pretty shocking powering on the system and being back to playing Spiderman in mere seconds after launching the game. It legit feels like cartridge load times which I guess in some way it is now that it's an SSD.

The system does put out a lot of heat and I feel the system feels a little cheap and plasticy but performance wise, it's been impressive for a $500 box.

Isa

For what it’s worth, as of last night I’ve stopped using rest mode and, while this is a small sample size admittedly, I do feel like the PS5 is even snappier and I haven’t noticed any hiccups while gaming today from either external or internal stored games.

Again, this is probably nothing, but just putting it out there
Nice, it does actually seem a bit smoother for me too. I also really like how the Store and everything is all so quick and responsive now, even hitting the PS button and going through the crossbar is good.

I've been like a kid again, staying up late for the first time in years, getting up early just to play my PS5. Going through Astro trying to get everything, and when I think all ideas they could have had are exhausted, a new area or idea pops up and the controller is put to new impressive use. This has got to be their best game yet, and Sony controller. I personally feel that the controller is next-gen. Good god man, what developers could do with this thing is profound. I couldn't stop smiling man, now my face is sore haha.

I'd say go for it, maybe take some precautions and go easy on the system. But enjoy yourself. I think the PS5 looks cool, unique and even better in person. The size is interesting, reminds me of 1st gen systems. SSD speeds are great, Demon's Souls has like practically 0 loading, same with Astro, and Yakuza Like a Dragon in bc loads so quick I often can't read the loading screens. Oh yeah, CoD and Godfall had updates today, so hopefully more start rolling out.

Neff

Think the release has been rushed tbh

PS5 absolutely stinks of rush, from the OS to the hardware itself.

However the hardware shouldn't be a problem going forward, ungainly as it is, and the OS, which is the crucial issue here, can be updated.

Still, I'm glad I waited.

THE:MILKMAN

Yeah I'm not going to worry about a couple of dozen reports about various faults be that HW or SW. A typical overall failure rate of ~0.5% is expected which for 2+ million consoles on day one would be at least 10,000 with some sort of fault. Hopefully a lot of the issues for both consoles are SW fixable.

Saying that the reports of the coil whine noise would be something that could be very annoying to me if it is particularly bad.....I guess now the fan is silent this sort of noise is far more noticeable!

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
After reading the PS5 tech issue thread on reddit I am starting to get really anxious about what's going on.

From rest mode not working, controllers not charging, graphics issues in games, full on PS5 crashes and random shut downs, games being randomly uninstalled by the PS5, download bugs, PS4 games being locked for no reason in a person's primary account, and reports of PS5s bricking after 30 mins of use, I'm not sure what to do when I get my PS5 on the 19th.

Is this not freaking anyone else out? Nothing has been said by Sony and no one knows when any sort of patch will be released.

This is known as the "early adopter tax."

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I had a shit tonne of Database Errors on my first day.

But I believe I solved the issue. A Factory Reset and making sure the power cable was FULLY plugged in and I haven't had a problem since. 2 days straight without a single issue after a HORRIBLE day one experience.

Andodalf

Banned
I’m getting a weird buzz from the fan, I think it might be loose. I can kinda feel it shift in the console when I move from vertical to horizontal. It’s not audible when there’s game audio but annoying in quiet menus. It’s also gotten a bit worse. Not a dealbreaker, but it might take the sides off to look closer

TheZink

Mine has coil whine/buzzing if you listen closely but I'm convinced they all do until proven otherwise.

Other than that, it's ran well. No crashes or weird glitches yet. I've powered it off, put it into rest mode with games loaded, launched multiple games, etc. and everything has worked perfectly. It's still pretty shocking powering on the system and being back to playing Spiderman in mere seconds after launching the game. It legit feels like cartridge load times which I guess in some way it is now that it's an SSD.

The system does put out a lot of heat and I feel the system feels a little cheap and plasticy but performance wise, it's been impressive for a $500 box.
My PS5 has coil whine also. It’s really annoying but I’m dealing with it. I’ve had Cold War crashed at least 5 times in the last 24 hours.
There is a 13 page topic on restera about the coil whine. It seems they all have it to some degree.

Last edited:

dcx4610

I’m getting a weird buzz from the fan, I think it might be loose. I can kinda feel it shift in the console when I move from vertical to horizontal. It’s not audible when there’s game audio but annoying in quiet menus. It’s also gotten a bit worse. Not a dealbreaker, but it might take the sides off to look closer

Coil whine. I've inspected the fan and the buzzing sound appears to be coming from the power supply and only during games or intensive use. It's not super loud but it's there and annoying once you hear it.

dcx4610

My PS5 has coil whine also. It’s really annoying but I’m dealing with it. I’ve had Cold War crashed at least 5 times in the last 24 hours.
There is a 13 page topic on restera about the coil whine. It seems they all have it to some degree.

Yeah. I'm convinced all PS5s have coil whine. It's the PSU. People claiming that their PS5 is silent just aren't sensitive to the noise. I guarantee they have coil whine and just don't notice it.

I think people are misinterpreting noise. The PS4 would sound like a jet engine because the fan would spin super fast during heavy usage. The fan on the PS5 is super quiet and doesn't ramp up like the PS4. Instead though, you can now hear the buzz of the coils during heavy usage.

It's not a deal breaker. I can't hear it over the game and it doesn't affect performance. Still, if you have a deadly quiet room or if you sit close to the system, you are probably going to hear it if you are sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Andodalf

Banned
Yeah. I'm convinced all PS5s have coil whine. It's the PSU. People claiming that their PS5 is silent just aren't sensitive to the noise. I guarantee they have coil whine and just don't notice it.

I think people are misinterpreting noise. The PS4 would sound like a jet engine because the fan would spin super fast during heavy usage. The fan on the PS5 is super quiet and doesn't ramp up like the PS4. Instead though, you can now hear the buzz of the coils during heavy usage.

It's not a deal breaker. I can't hear it over the game and it doesn't affect performance. Still, if you have a deadly quiet room or if you sit close to the system, you are probably going to hear it if you are sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Yeah it’s not that loud, but the sound itself isn’t a nice one. Headphones to the rescue, lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In IT, technology breaks all the time. There wouldn’t be an IT department if everything ran smoothly. It’s going to happen.

My launch day PS4 had to rebuild its database a couple times. Once or twice a game crashed. I didn’t have a single problem playing through campaigns though. Those were on rare occurrences and not all the time. My point is, it still happened. It could error out mid-2021 because a game wasn’t running properly or something completely random.

I had two actual crashes that were recorded and sent to Sony. Nothing after that. I played today remotely from a PS4 and it worked without issues. For a moment, I forgot about the crashes I had earlier.

The reason I’m not pissed off is because it isn’t consistent and I can play without any interruptions. However, I do own the Cross Gen Cold War edition and I’m playing that on PS4. I don’t mind it on PS4 and I can save up disc space on the PS5.

If these are known occurrences then Sony needs to be notified. Every time they occur a report needs to be sent. Sony should keep checking their troubleshooting or error/bugs department and make sure they see all these reports.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Do u guys know anything about this??

One thing I noticed is that I had my dualsense turned off and plugged into the front of the ps5 today and it didn't charge much. It was on the charger for like 2 hours. Got to 2 bars but that quickly dropped to one.

Should I be using like my phone usb c charger to charge it in the front port?

THE:MILKMAN

I agree with this having looked into this issue. It seems the noise in a few videos show it coming from where the PSU is and combined with the fan being much quieter now it is being noticed more. Also I wonder if PS5 being constant power has changed how the PSU has to run?

I also found this video on Youtube that shows a PS4 Pro with a buzzing noise that turned out to be caused by an inductor in the PSU:

Which sounds similar to this video apparently showing a PS5 with the issue (though it could also be a spinning disc!?):

I honestly don't think failure rates are higher for PS or Xbox. I think just more people have the ability to complain loudly about the broken ones.

Onironauta

We are going through a deadly pandemic and you're freaking out because your warranty-covered console may be faulty? Your priority scale seems a little messed up

Jokerevo

Banned

Are you experiencing all these issues?

Jigga

MLB froze on me. Never happened on ps4
I was able to go to the Home Screen and close the app. I got my ps5 Friday. Been working so I haven’t put much time in it. At most I played 3 hours. So this is not cool at all

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

My advice is to sit back and wait a year or so. Consider the early adopters as beta testers. The other advantage is waiting for the real next gen games that usually comes a year or two after launch.

Top Bottom