• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 No enhanced patches?

Hostile_18

Banned
i didnt expect it for 3rd party games (although we are getting some for games like witcher 3) but its so annoying they wont do it for their more recent 1st party games.... i honestly thought GoT and TLOU2 would for sure get it, and was hopeful on GoW and UC4

Yeah I'd have hoped it was a given all first party games would have been patched with a higher resolution and framerate and if they exist higher resolution textures.

I'd also hoped the people in charge of backwards compatability had worked with popular third party games to do the same.

I'd of thought it was realistic maybe 50-100 games would of been custom enhanced for the PS5 rather than just a minimal boost mode on all.

Maybe I had too high hopes a team with passion within Sony would of been working on this for years.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Once again, emulation =/= hardware BC. I think I'm done with this thread, it just goes in circles. People are being deliberately obtuse at this point.
With all of the additional power and advancements of the Xbox Series X, the compatibility team now has a veritable playground of new capabilities to innovate and push the limits of game preservation and enhancement. The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators. We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

Redlancet

Banned
How disappointing.

So as it stands games will not be enhanced on a per game basis. What this means in reality is that;

- Only games with dynamic resolution will be "enhanced" to reach the resolution cap (which in many cases is less than on the One X version I.e Red Dead Redemtion 2).
- Only games with uncapped or an unstable frame rate will benefit from the increased power.

I honestly find this SUPER disappointing as enhanced patches were my most hyped feature. (Just imagine Uncharted 4 at 4k 60fps!).

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.

This is why I said we should be concerned about Sony's silence regarding its backwards compatability plans last week. Some people there told us a it was all in hand and not to be worried... 😉
yes,im pretty sure you SUPER (in capital letters) dissappointing,be strong brother

Rikkori

If you don't want to be at the mercy of the platform holder then you know what you have to do.

Hyr4Ftw.gif
width(1200).gif

Zoro7

Banned
Not everyone is like that. I'm no fan boy. PS4 is my main console, I have over 250 digital games. I'm just not afraid to criticise a company I love.
But how many of those 250 do you still play and how much time and effort should Sony put into BC? A service they’ll make no money from.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The actual PS4 code/copies of the game need to be coded to recognize boost mode. This is different than how Xbox does BC where the games don't need to be patched, but MS themselves can essentially inject upgrades.

So there are going to be some "patches", probably Sony games + live service games will do it.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would hope with BC games, the saves would transfer, there is nothing different with the game. The issue is when going from a PS4 game to a PS5 game and saved do not carry forward.

I thought Sony said before that saves wouldn't transfer from PS4 to PS5, so it's nice to see that's not the case. If I'm mistaken and that was never said, then you're right it's no big deal.

Hostile_18

Banned
yes,im pretty sure you SUPER (in capital letters) dissappointing,be strong brother

Haha it was my most hyped next gen feature as I have a massive back catalogue. Was also frustrated they left the details of it out for so long. Only the OS is left to be revealed really.

I know some people are more excited for the next gen games, me not so much at the moment as its more a given there coming with a new console really.

Concern

Your hear trolling, stop it, everyone knows yor posts and what your doing, its not funny and convincing nobody,

Try and have a decent conversation, your post history is quite clear. Grow up.

Ironic how you're bringing up post history. Especially considering you just came back from a ban.

There is no "decent" conversation when all you've done is try to derail this thread.

Hostile_18

Banned
But how many of those 250 do you still play and how much time and effort should Sony put into BC? A service they’ll make no money from.

I regularly (once every 2 years) replay Naughty Dog games, Resident Evils, Evil Within, Witcher 3, Bioshock etc. I dont think it is too much work, especially when PC versions of most games exist. Certainly nothing that wouldn't be covered by the new people it would attract to a game.

Zannrebel

If you go back to 2016 and 2017 when the enhanced consoles were made, there were not a ton of enhanced patches, mostly titles released that year. And since then, devs have released more games with uncapped framerates and dynamic resolutions which will be enhanced on the new consoles without the devs doing a single thing.

Bottom line, I don't expect a lot of games to get enhanced patches, much less than we saw with the Pro or One X. A years old game like Uncharted 4, I would say no chance whatsoever.
The Xbox One X improved every game even if it didn't get an enhasment patch. By applying 16x AF, forced Vsync, and Downsampling if your T.V supported it

NickFire

I wish we were getting free enhancements of first party PS4 games too. But current state is better to me than losing them altogether by switching.

I'm not entirely sure why folk seem to think that the Ps5 playing games the same as they were on PS4/Pro is in any way not BC. That's exactly what BC is supposed to offer 🤷‍♂️

I'm quite sure noone had this problem with hardware BC on the Wii, WiiU, Ps2, PS3 etc

Reindeer

Sony don't care much for BC, thought people would get that by now. They obviously don't wanna invest money and resources into it like Microsoft did.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calverz

I mean, the tweet for tsutsima is right there. Jesus.
Where does the tweet say anything about ENHANCED patch? thats what we are talking about here. Know your shit.
Edit: i see they are allowing 60fps. Was the game originally using a non capped framerate?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

What this boils down to is whether developers will want to re-visit their games and patch them to take advantage of the PS5 performance/tech.

Re: See CD Projekt Red with "The Witcher 3".

tenor.gif

Now, if Sony came out and said they wouldn't allow developers to patch their PS4 titles for enhancement on the PS5, I'd be pissed.

So I wouldn't go at Sony over this. In the end, it's the developers who'll have to patch the games.

Dibils2k

atleast GoT just announced they will allow 60fps in boost mode! great news(hoping its atleast 1800p), hope other 1st party games follow

MastaKiiLA

Little to no financial incentive in it. Newer PS4 games will probably see patches, especially the bigger ones. However, most won't. The added revenue from additional sales would have to outweigh the cost of developing such a patch. Those development resources are probably better spent on new games, which already have to undergo extended crunch periods due to the very lack of development resources. Cut your nose to spite your face type of stuff here.

MS can focus more on it, because they don't have next-gen games on the horizon, and they'll need the extra bulk for the GamePass library. PS5 has a lot of titles in the works, so I'd rather devs focus their attention on making those new games better. As long as the PS4 games can be played, that's good enough. PS4 Pro levels of enhancements are a solid benefit. PS5 boost mode is a bonus. Why patch an older game when the sale has already been done? That fails basic cost-benefit analysis.

Similarly, you can understand why BC isn't a big selling point for the PS5. The sale is already done of both the older game, and the hardware. They're not going to lose any appreciable amount of hardware sales due to how the BC works. The gain or loss based on that feature is largely inconsequential. If someone really wants BC with the console, they'll already fall into a category of likely PS5 buyers, as they probably already own the game and a PS4. So you're just fattening an already plump pig there. Diminishing returns at best. Negative return at worst. There's better value in putting resources into a new title. It's more likely to sell more consoles, and it'll actually generate more revenue than any BC patch possibly could.

Last edited:
Richard from DF said they were working on a framerate doubling feature which would avoid devs having to step in for a 60 FPS cap on BC games.

That does little for the resolution, but keep in mind Series X will play One X games which usually had higher max resolution than PS4 Pro anyway.

Thought we would have seen this in practice with the showcases if it was true so doubt

Last edited:

yurinka

So in other words no Bloodborne at 4k/60fps?

I had a feeling, considering how poorly the support for the ps4 pro was regarding patches of older games.
Wait, so if Naughty Dog wants to patch UC4 to 4k 60fps, sony is stopping them now? What happened?
If Naughty Dog for Uncharted 4 or From Software/Sony Japan for Bloodborne want to update their PS4 games to add an option with a patch to unlock framerate and/or use dynamic resolution to get a big boost in PS5 BC they can do it. It's the same than in Series X or in PS4 Pro.

They an also release a PS5 version of the games capping them to 60fps instead to 30fps, and increasing the resolution to 4K, add RT or whatever they want. And as in all crossgen Sony and MS games and more 3rd party games in PS5 than in Series X, to give this next gen version for free for current gen users.

How do PS3 games perform on PS5?
Some of the best PS3 games got a PS4 remaster, and they did look better in PS4 so thanks to the boost mode very likely they will look even better (like in Series X, if they have unlocked framerate/dynamic resolution or if get patched/get a next gen version with additional changes) and load faster in PS5.

Have all publishers come out with a joint statement or something saying that they won't be patching games to take advantage in any way?
No, he's just spreading FUD.

So, basically, they just added an unlocked frame rate option. Not really enhanced patch. Still fine and should make people happy.
Please don't cry, Pikachu

10746.jpg

Microsoft implement enhanced patches to games. Eg gears 5 will run at 120fps. When it maxed out at 60fps on the x1x.
Sony also has crossgen games, and also give them the next gen version for free if you own the current gen one.

Last edited:

Nubulax

I'm not entirely sure why folk seem to think that the Ps5 playing games the same as they were on PS4/Pro is in any way not BC. That's exactly what BC is supposed to offer 🤷‍♂️

I'm quite sure noone had this problem with hardware BC on the Wii, WiiU, Ps2, PS3 etc

Its Amazing. People demand BC BC BC for PS5 and when the PS5 has it that isnt enough now. It has to be enhanced and improved and work needs to be put in from developers.

Hostile_18

Banned
Its Amazing. People demand BC BC BC for PS5 and when the PS5 has it that isnt enough now. It has to be enhanced and improved and work needs to be put in from developers.

Is this confirmed that a backwards compatibility team from within Sony would have to work with the developers to output at a higher resolution/framerate? Because that is not the case with PC emulators.

Also what about first party games that Sony should have no issue with in terms of access. I think the real issue here is Sony's inclination to enhance our existing games in any kind of substantial manner.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Where does the tweet say anything about ENHANCED patch? thats what we are talking about here. Know your shit.
Edit: i see they are allowing 60fps. Was the game originally using a non capped framerate?

No, the framerate was capped at 30. The game just got/is getting a patch which is probably the thing adding this PS5 60fps mode they speak of. As in, you know, enhanced patch.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
As long as 99% games work on PS5 = I dont care

They run and look good enough on pro, so they will on PS5.

Do they for sure run in pro mode? I'm not sure at this point, I hope they do.....
Sony keeps on referring to it as ps4 compatibility, nothing about pro, and yet occasionally refer to 4k......

"Working on" as in, it's something they are trying to make happen but it isn't ready yet.

Try actually reading posts before responding to them.

Yeah, I can read your post fine. Take a chill pill yeah?

My point is, they didn't show it off when they showcased back compat performance, and since we're a month from launch i'm going to doubt it's actually thing

Umbral

I think your expectations were way out of line with reality. I don’t know how you got to that point.

A new generation is different than a mid-gen spec bump.

You want Naughty Dog to go back and spend time and resources on developing a PS5 patch for Uncharted 4 for free? And you want this of all games? Who’s going to pay for it? What’s the incentive for the developer? This isn’t a charity.

Edit: Boost mode is kind of free. Work has to be put in for patches. I want a Bloodborne patch but I’m probably not getting it. I would be ok if they just added an “unlock frame rate” toggle.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
One game doesn't change the situation, hell 10 or so games don't (especially if there just really recent releases).

What happened to the "100 games enhanced as decided by playtime".
Easy to invent scenarios in your head based on quotes that were never said

First you invented in your head that Sony said games won't be patched

Now you're saying they said the top 100 games would be enhanced. Which is it?

I get you need to inject the FUD because as long as there is a BC issue, there is something to cling on to

Personally, I'll be playing next gen games AND backwards compatability of the best library from this generation :)

Yeah, I can read your post fine. Take a chill pill yeah?

My point is, they didn't show it off when they showcased back compat performance, and since we're a month from launch i'm going to doubt it's actually thing

Richard said it's something for the future, literally last week. Something to look forward to.

You can doubt if you want, we have a word for that - denial

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard said it's something for the future, literally last week.

You can doubt if you want, we have a word for that - denial

Has Microsoft actually come out and said this will be a thing?

You can believe it if you want, we have a word for that - delusion

You must not play anything on PC. Why shouldn't stronger hardware give you better performance? Considering that console software is closer to native x86 PC software than ever in the history of consoles, I would expect things to perform better at a minimum.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We were literally just told that Ghost of Tsushima will be enhanced though...? The game will have a new option to allow 60fps on PS5, on PS4 it's locked to 30. That's an enhanced patch (or maybe that option is already technically in the game, doesn't matter).

So what is this thread even about?

Top Bottom