• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 No enhanced patches?

Skifi28

With all of the additional power and advancements of the Xbox Series X, the compatibility team now has a veritable playground of new capabilities to innovate and push the limits of game preservation and enhancement. The compatibility team has invented brand new techniques that enable even more titles to run at higher resolutions and image quality while still respecting the artistic intent and vision of the original creators. We are also creating whole new classes of innovations including the ability to double the frame rate of a select set of titles from 30 fps to 60 fps or 60 fps to 120 fps.

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

Is this an advertisement now?

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
We were literally just told that Ghost of Tsushima will be enhanced though...? The game will have a new option to allow 60fps on PS5, on PS4 it's locked to 30. That's an enhanced patch (or maybe that option is already technically in the game, doesn't matter).

So what is this thread even about?
OP jumped (vaulted) to conclusions

yurinka

The actual PS4 code/copies of the game need to be coded to recognize boost mode. This is different than how Xbox does BC where the games don't need to be patched, but MS themselves can essentially inject upgrades.

So there are going to be some "patches", probably Sony games + live service games will do it.
No, miss Spencer. It's the same in both consoles: BC games get boosted in the new consoles in terms of framerate reducing the drops for games with capped framerate and highly increasing them if unlocked, and get a higher resolution if they have dynamic resolution. And also shorten the loading times (more in the case of PS5). These games are programmed as normal PS4/PS4 Pro/XBO/XB1X games.

A few games are crossgen to provide extra enhacements on the next gen version. For all the 1st party cross-gen games, and for most 3rd party games (more in PS5 than in series X) they give you for free the next gen version of the game if you have the currrent gen one. The next gen version of these games are native next gen games (the new consoles include the instructions of the previous gen ones).

Last edited:
All BC needs to do is allow you to play a previous gen game on your current system and for that new system to at least offer the same experience as your old system. Enhanced patches are optional.

It's like noone on GAF has ever used BC before even though there's constant discussions on it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No, miss Spencer. It's the same in both consoles: BC games get boosted in the new consoles in terms of framerate reducing the drops for games with capped framerate and increase them if unlocked, and get a higher resolution if they have dynamic resolution. And also shorten the loading times (more in the case of PS5).

A few games are crossgen to provide extra enhacements on the next gen version. For all the 1st party cross-gen games, and for most 3rd party games (more in PS5 than in series X) they give you for free the next gen version of the game if you have the currrent gen one.

The effect is the same of just having the hardware run faster.

And for games with locked framerates, MS can't do anything about that without the game being patched.

But the other enhancing they are doing without patching games is possible because of their BC method, that Sony didn't go with.

MS can't patch everything at the BC level, Sony can't patch anything at the BC level.. so no, it's not the same, just that for some scenarios it is (locked framerates can't be unlocked without the game being updated.)

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I think your expectations were way out of line with reality. I don’t know how you got to that point.

A new generation is different than a mid-gen spec bump.

You want Naughty Dog to go back and spend time and resources on developing a PS5 patch for Uncharted 4 for free? And you want this of all games? Who’s going to pay for it? What’s the incentive for the developer? This isn’t a charity.

Edit: Boost mode is kind of free. Work has to be put in for patches. I want a Bloodborne patch but I’m probably not getting it. I would be ok if they just added an “unlock frame rate” toggle.

Are you saying that when Red Dead Redemption/Fallout 3 got a 4k patch on X Box one X it didnt generate extra revenue at a low cost to produce? Here's how enhancements make money;

1: Its re-released on a digital store. New customers try it out.
2: It generates sales for the sequel (more people have played the first one).
3: it increases brand awareness (more people are playing the franchise again).
4: People are more inclined to buy a console that has enhancements to their favorite games.

The cost of developing a patch is 1-2% the cost of the games production. This was made clear when the Playstation Pro came out.

If what your saying was true movies would never be released or enhanced and we'd be watching them on a VHS player/quality.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Is this an advertisement now?
Lol just showing you some official statements from them just find it hilarious that you don’t think they’re gonna continue enhancing games from the backwards compatibility team

Skifi28

Lol just showing you some official statements from them just find it hilarious that you don’t think they’re gonna continue enhancing games from the backwards compatibility team

We're still talking about different things. I'm telling you something, you tell me something else. It's getting tiring now, so I'm going to stop replying if you don't mind.

Hostile_18

Banned
Easy to invent scenarios in your head based on quotes that were never said

First you invented in your head that Sony said games won't be patched

Now you're saying they said the top 100 games would be enhanced. Which is it?

I get you need to inject the FUD because as long as there is a BC issue, there is something to cling on to

Personally, I'll be playing next gen games AND backwards compatability of the best library from this generation :)

Big boys can read between the lines 😜. What isnt said tells us just as much as what is said. I'd feel different if we were months and months out of course. But the fact is if they had something amazing like this they wouldn't hold it back. At least it would be incredibly unlikely.

Mark Cerny said the top 100 games by playtime would be enhanced months ago. There wasnt a single mention of this unless he was talking about the general boost mode that offers marginal improvements to all games.. so why mention the "top 100?"

yurinka

That's cool and nice that your saves transfer to PS5 also.
Sony confirmed today that you'll be able to transfer your PS4 saves to PS5 for all the BC games. Via cloud storage, wifi or external storage.

In case of cross-gen games or remasters, it will depend on the game. They confirmed Morales and Sackboy will transfer it too.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Gold Member
Big boys can read between the lines 😜. What isnt said tells us just as much as what is said. I'd feel different if we were months and months out of course. But the fact is if they had something amazing like this they wouldn't hold it back. At least it would be incredibly unlikely.

Mark Cerny said the top 100 games by playtime would be enhanced months ago. There wasnt a single mention of this unless he was talking about the general boost mode that offers marginal improvements to all games.. so why mention the "top 100?"
Because he gave an example of why all of the BC games need testing when adapting the games of PS4 to new hardware. He even specifically says this has to be done because some games run into issues.

Everybody in this thread is telling you that you jump to conclusions. How is that "reading between the lines" helping you? Based on nothing you go from top 100 games will be patched to zero games will ever be patched

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Is Xbox also not the same, it is limited by the capped frame rate or capped reolution.
For games without a patch, but they are releasing free enhanced patches for their 1st party games.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
That's OK, I expected the games to run exactly as they do on PS4/Pro given how Sony already handled games on consoles from the same generation (base PS4 vs Pro), but apparently this time around the games will actually have access to additional power, hence extra performance in titles with dynamic res or unlocked framerate. Sadly there aren't much such titles, I just hope this will be a much more common practice in the upcoming gen, so the games will be sort of future-proof.

Hostile_18

Banned
Because he gave an example of why all of the BC games need testing when adapting the games of PS4 to new hardware. He even specifically says this has to be done because some games run into issues.

Everybody in this thread is telling you that you jump to conclusions. How is that "reading between the lines" helping you? Based on nothing you go from top 100 games will be patched to zero games will ever be patched

How much more evidence do you want enhanced patches were completely neglected on a blog about how BC will work. Yes we will get the odd game like Rainbow 6, Mortal Kombat 11 and Ghost. But nothing like the potential we could have got. All first party games at the very least should of been enhanced on a console as powerful as this. Sony should set the example to encourage others.

Mark Cerny said about the top 100 games would be enhanced, this now appears to be simply referring to the minimal boost mode. Nearly all games that have a higher resolution cap on the X Box one X will look better than on the PS5 version because a patch hasn't been applied that raises the resolution/FPS cap from the Pro version.

Am I grateful everything is backwards compatible? Absolutely yes. But I'm also disappointed the improvements by en large are minimal.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
LjWBfUQ.gif

Has Microsoft actually come out and said this will be a thing?

You can believe it if you want, we have a word for that - delusion

Richard from DF came out and said it. That's a more reputable source than the literally nothing you've presented.

Here's some more bad news for you, this gen multiplat BC games will run better on Series X than PS5 by default, because they'll use the Xbox One X version.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
you also cant download the ps4 version of games when you buy a ps5 version. Nor can you use the same save between the 2. :messenger_astonished:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
How disappointing.

So as it stands games will not be enhanced on a per game basis. What this means in reality is that;

- Only games with dynamic resolution will be "enhanced" to reach the resolution cap (which in many cases is less than on the One X version I.e Red Dead Redemtion 2).
- Only games with uncapped or an unstable frame rate will benefit from the increased power.

I honestly find this SUPER disappointing as enhanced patches were my most hyped feature. (Just imagine Uncharted 4 at 4k 60fps!).

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.

This is why I said we should be concerned about Sony's silence regarding its backwards compatability plans last week. Some people there told us a it was all in hand and not to be worried... 😉

Your reading comprehension sucks OP.

What is the PS4 game experience like on PS5?
PS4 titles get even better on PS5. Select PS4 titles will see increased loading speeds on the PS5 console, and will also leverage Game Boost, offering improved or more stable frame rates. Some titles with unlocked frame rates or dynamic resolution up to 4K may see higher fidelity. Additionally, PS4 games will also take advantage of some of PS5’s new UX features, but more to come on that later.

Hostile_18

Banned
Websites quoting people out of context for clicks? This almost never happens. No, I'm telling you.

Regardless it's a massive wasted opportunity.

Imagine Sony had patched the majority of its PS4 first party games for launch. Higher resolution, auto HDR, higher framerates. Bloodborne at 4k! Your existing collection has never looked better.

Hostile_18

Banned
Your reading comprehension sucks OP.

Ironically its explained in the OP. It's based on the code for the PS4 Pro. A game that is locked at a max resolution or frame rate will not be able to go past it without a game specific patch either from the developers or the team handling the backwards compatibility. In some cases the X has a higher resolution and frame rate cap and so will look and play better on the series X than the Playstation 5.

Skifi28

Regardless it's a massive wasted opportunity.

Imagine Sony had patched the majority of its PS4 first party games for launch. Higher resolution, auto HDR, higher framerates. Bloodborne at 4k! Your existing collection has never looked better.

Again, it's very likely it will happen. One developer has already made an announcement while this stupid thread has been ongoing. More will likely follow. People should stop jumping the gun just because something is not announced when they want.

Last edited:
Richard from DF came out and said it. That's a more reputable source than the literally nothing you've presented.

Here's some more bad news for you, this gen multiplat BC games will run better on Series X than PS5 by default, because they'll use the Xbox One X version.

I said I doubt they're going to somehow manage to unlock caps without dev intervention (something any reasonable person would be doubtful of) and that was enough to put a stick up your arse lmao

I am fully aware that Xbox's bc tech is better than Sony. Keep trying though :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Again, it's very likely it will happen. One developer has already made an announcement while this stupid thread has been ongoing. More will likely follow. People should stop jumping the gun just because something is not announced when they want.

I hope it does but it seems likely only a handful of current games will get that treatment. I think it's fair to comment dissatisfaction it's not a company wide initiative. If you've ever emulated something on PC you would understand how good it can be (without the developers support).

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
You’re jumping to conclusions just like anyone else thinking they will

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
How disappointing.

So as it stands games will not be enhanced on a per game basis. What this means in reality is that;

- Only games with dynamic resolution will be "enhanced" to reach the resolution cap (which in many cases is less than on the One X version I.e Red Dead Redemtion 2).
- Only games with uncapped or an unstable frame rate will benefit from the increased power.

I honestly find this SUPER disappointing as enhanced patches were my most hyped feature. (Just imagine Uncharted 4 at 4k 60fps!).

Pretty sure I'm done with Playstation now with this and the price increase. Got some serious thinking to do now about whether I still want a PS5.

This is why I said we should be concerned about Sony's silence regarding its backwards compatability plans last week. Some people there told us a it was all in hand and not to be worried... 😉
Kinda crazy that you're so concerned about backwards compatibility considering you've dumped your older games in the past to shift platforms x360 -> ps4

The good news is both systems look awesome so even if you keep twisting in the wind you will land on a good platform.

Skifi28

You’re jumping to conclusions just like anyone else thinking they will

I said they likely will as there's already evidence of it happening (Sucker Punch). The OP assumed it's not happening at all, because reasons. Who's jumping to conclusions?

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Kinda crazy that you're so concerned about backwards compatibility considering you've dumped your older games in the past to shift platforms x360 -> ps4

The good news is both systems look awesome so even if you keep twisting in the wind you will land on a good platform.

I didn't want to have to do it again 😂.

I love consoles I really do but just felt like this would have been a great feature. Same reason i upgraded my favorite movies from DVD>Blu-ray>4k.

But your right X Box, PS5, Switch or PC you cant go wrong. 😊

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
PS4 games running on PS5 will at least get the PS4 Pro boost?

Yes. They are not going to commit to 4,000 patches from dozens of publishers. They have HW emulation for PS4 and Pro with boost mode, additional patches take resources and time, it is up to each developer to code. test and release per title.

Hostile_18

Banned
I said they likely will as there's already evidence of it happening (Sucker Punch). The OP assumed it's not happening at all, because reasons. Who's jumping to conclusions?

I did say "as it stands". But I'm glad a mod added a "?" to the thread title as theres always the smallest chance Sony will capitalize on it and the majority of first party devs will come out in support of it. I just find it super unlikely after that blog post. But I wouldn't put it completely out of the realms of possibility given how terrible Sony's corporate decisions have been recently.

Edit: I've updated the OP slightly to reflect a very small handful of games look to be getting enhanced patches. Rather than deal in absolutes (which only the Sith do).

Last edited:

yurinka

Im assuming the spiderman situation?
No, Tsushima announced they will patch their PS4 game with a new, normal, game update to only add an option to unlock framerate on the PS4 game.

You'll be able play Tsushima for free on PS5 like all the other (99.99%) PS4 games, even with your PS4 savedata transfered to a PS4 being one of them Spider-Man. Having unlocked framerate, now its fps will be boosted to 60fps when running on PS5.

Spider-Man Remaster is a separate game, a full remaster for PS5 with many art assets remade, with extra content and features, and also includes the DLCs of the original game plus additional improvements and additions. And like any other remaster for consoles, they charge for it. They didn't announce a PS5 remaster of Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If you don't want to be at the mercy of the platform holder then you know what you have to do.

Hyr4Ftw.gif
width(1200).gif

Yes, yes yesssss... and we must install RGB lights in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't have luminous rainbow 24-pin connectors you obviously aren't game-pcing properly:

s-l300.jpg

Kokoloko85

Luckily this isn’t true as of an hour or so ago lol
But I felt the same and was concerned.
Glad there will be free enhancements. Hopefully the rest Sucker Punches example. Come on Death Stranding and TLOU2

Hostile_18

Banned
Luckily this isn’t true as of an hour or so ago lol
But I felt the same and was concerned.
Glad there will be free enhancements. Hopefully the rest Sucker Punches example. Come on Death Stranding and TLOU2

Of all the current first party games I think The Last of Us part 2 has the best chance. Especially with Factions coming out.

Just imagine Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, God of War in 4k 😍😍. Please make it happen Sony! I only hurt you because I care 😂

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GoT announcement gives hope that they're looking to give free patches for their first party exclusives that were already released.

Zannrebel

We're still talking about different things. I'm telling you something, you tell me something else. It's getting tiring now, so I'm going to stop replying if you don't mind.
The Series X runs the Xbox one x version of games in bc mode and all of the games from og xbox to xb1 run them with 16x AF, Forced Vsync and downsampling(anything under 4k) so im not sure what your question is. XSS is confirmed running xb1s settings or better.

Top Bottom