• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 No enhanced patches?

The 360 x enhanced games wernt done with the original developers as far as I'm aware. They look great at 4k.

There are also only a small handful of games that got that treatment and they had to be worked on individually by the BC team at MS. The witcher 2 looked AWFUL before they went back and gave it some extra love, it was a blurry mess and looked worse than it did on the 360, of course I also wasn't playing 360 games on a 4K tv so having to upscale to that degree probably didn't help.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think ultimately it would of been better to get this news out months ago so we had a more realistic idea of what to expect from Sony.

On paper 99% backwards compatability is amazing.

It just unfortunately comes with very few games been patched to take advantage of the extra power or new features such as auto HDR and going against X Box One X versions with higher caps. That's a real shame but in line with current thinking on playing "old" games at Sony.

Last edited:
That's because PC games arnt hard capped in terms or resolution or FPS hence why the patch is needed. Its minimal work for most games, especially for the revenue/good will it would likely bring in.

Yes a PS2 community working on it in their spare time without access to developers or source code. Without the financial motivation of selling a console/games. They have done an amazing job, so what's Sony's excuse. The only differing factor is one group lacks passion, the other does not.

Again, you say it’s minimal work while not knowing how much work it is.You said 1 to 2% of a game’s budget for the PS4 Pro - that could be 2-3M.

Also, why does Ghost of Tsushima not need a patch?

The PS2 emulation community sure is passionate but their quality of work is poor compared to what Sony would have to deliver. The PS2 emulation community do not need do rigorous QA or re-certification, etc.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Depend of the game.
It needs to be tested and patched if needed.

I think boost mode is just full access to the GPU, not in PS4 or PS4 Pro mode (limited CUs, lower clock). That is pure HW.

ethomaz

Banned
I think boost mode is just full access to the GPU, not in PS4 or PS4 Pro mode (limited CUs, lower clock). That is pure HW.
PS5 Boost mode I believe is the full CPU/GPU power and clocks.

PS4 Mode: PS4 CPU/GPU config and clocks.
PS4 Pro Mode: PS4 Pro CPU/GPU config and clocks.

It should really be interesting to see AMD talking about it instead Sony... it was a AMD hardware solution for Sony problem.

Last edited:

cudiye

There's nothing more entitled that demanding enhancements for old gen games. The fact that you can play old gen games on your new console is in of itself a privilege. Yall expect every single game to get patched to utilise the power of the new hardware? Even games that were released years ago where it's developers are probably busy developing new shit? Keep dreaming.

TLDR;
I buy a new console to play new games. If I can play an old gen game on my new console then hot damn am I lucky.

giphy.gif

yurinka

GoT announcement gives hope that they're looking to give free patches for their first party exclusives that were already released.
Many of them don't need patches because already have uncapped fps and/or dynamic resolution.

PS4 games running on PS5 will at least get the PS4 Pro boost?
Yes, the minimum improvements we'll see are games without dynamic resolution that already are very steady at capped 30 or 60 fps. For these games, we'll see shorter loading times. A bigger difference that the one we saw in XBO vs Series X.

Games capped at 30 or 60fps that aren't that steady would have less and/or smaller fps drops in PS5. Games with uncapped fps will see its fps increased (up to 60 fps?) depending on the game. Games with dynamic resolution will see increased their resolution (up to 4K?).

Games with a PS4 Pro version will use that version for PS5. And well, PS5 boost mode should be like PS4 Pro boost mode.

Last edited:

AeneaGames

Depend of the game.
It needs to be tested and patched if needed.

Nope, boost mode is a hardware BC mode where the game can run at the PS5's full speed, nothing more, nothing less.

If a game works correctly in that mode it can possibly use a higher resolution if the game uses a dynamic one, it could reach more stable framerates if it didn't always reach the cap the game was set to. If a game has an uncapped mode it will use the highest fps it can reach (tho then probably capped by the OS to the max refresh rate, ie if a game can reach 70fps it will probably be capped to 60 when your display is in a 60hz mode).

This does not need a patch. To do more, like allowing a higher resolution when it used a set one or allow more fps then it needs a patch. These type can be done quickly and is what happened with Ghosts of T. To add even more like better textures, lighting, shadows, etc., etc. requires a lot more work and also needs a patch (see Spiderman).

ethomaz

Banned
Nope, boost mode is a hardware BC mode where the game can run at the PS5's full speed, nothing more, nothing less.

If a game works correctly in that mode it can possibly use a higher resolution if the game uses a dynamic one, it could reach more stable framerates if it didn't always reach the cap the game was set to. If a game has an uncapped mode it will use the highest fps it can reach (tho then probably capped by the OS to the max refresh rate, ie if a game can reach 70fps it will probably be capped to 60 when your display is in a 60hz mode).

This does not need a patch. To do more, like allowing a higher resolution when it used a set one or allow more fps then it needs a patch. These type can be done quickly and is what happened with Ghosts of T. To add even more like better textures, lighting, shadows, etc., etc. requires a lot more work and also needs a patch (see Spiderman).
That is not what Cerny said... some games runs without path others needs patch.

GoT is a case that was already required to support PS5 BC Boost mode before go gold... so the “patch” was already done in dev time... that is why it has a 60fps flag in the options when running in PS5 BC Boost Mode.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Can you list the 3rd party games that this team has patched?

Also, there's something I am wondering:
Are they even allowed to tamper with the code of someone else's game? Normally that's explicitly forbidden. Tho of course this is MS not sure they are exempt of this.
Just whole list of 360 games they have already done and I don’t think they would talk about patching old Xbox one games to 4K just for gears of war ultimate which they have already done without touching the game code

AeneaGames

No not every game, not even a quarter. But I thought about 100 games patched specifically. Including most of the first party games by the backwards compatibility team within Sony with consultation from developers where necessary.

A BC team can't simply make patches like that, they would need the full source code and exact same build environment as the original devs. Much easier to let the original devs make such a patch, they know the code...

AeneaGames

That is not what Cerny said... some games runs without path others needs patch.

GoT is a case that was already required to support PS5 BC Boost mode before go gold... so the “patch” was already done in dev time... that is why it has a 60fps flag in the options when running in PS5 BC Boost Mode.

That is exactly what Cerny said...

Not sure how you can interpret that differently.

And yes, for GoT it's now already in the code so they already made specific changes for the PS5 so it includes the patch.
This is exactly how I described it

AeneaGames

Just whole list of 360 games they have already done and I don’t think they would talk about patching old Xbox one games to 4K just for gears of war ultimate which they have already done without touching the game code

For 360 they can do that differently since it's emulated, they can make changes in the emulator for those. I was asking for a list of 3rd party games for the X1 that they made changes to without the devs input

NeonGhost

For 360 they can do that differently since it's emulated, they can make changes in the emulator for those. I was asking for a list of 3rd party games for the X1 that they made changes to without the devs input
The only game we know of so far is gears of war and that was done without changing any code so idk why you think they won’t do the same with 3rd party games like the 360

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is nothing to be excited about. You missed the most important bit of info in that tweet. UP TO 60fps. WOW so the PS5 will not hold solid 60fps for this game, If they are saying up to 60fps lol.
It's nothing to be worried about either. It will play the game better than any other machine 😉

If you're so concerned by fps go and play some low poly falcon flying game or something 👋

AeneaGames

The only game we know of so far is gears of war and that was done without changing any code so idk why you think they won’t do the same with 3rd party games like the 360

How do you know it was done without changing the code? How would that even be possible?

And again, no, 360 games are different, they run inside an emulator which can be changed for each game, One games don't run inside an emulator so the same thing can't be done there.

NeonGhost

How do you know it was done without changing the code? How would that even be possible?

And again, no, 360 games are different, they run inside an emulator which can be changed for each game, One games don't run inside an emulator so the same thing can't be done there.
Go to 22:50 for your confirmation

NeonGhost

The games will benefit from the hardware

That's not going to magically upgrade the resolution unless its dynamic
Are you fucking kidding I just posted a video telling you that they are using the same kind of process like on 360 games they got gears of war ultimate edition that was max 1080p to full 4K without changing the code or needing anything from the developers

dEvAnGeL

Are you fucking kidding I just posted a video telling you that they are using the same kind of process like on 360 games they got gears of war ultimate edition that was max 1080p to full 4K without changing the code or needing anything from the developers
🤦

AeneaGames

Go to 22:50 for your confirmation

That seems to me that the game originally used a dynamic resolution of sorts which the XSX then profits from. He also clearly said that this won't work for all games.

The Xbox APIs are more abstract than on the PS consoles. For them that makes a lot of sense due to needing to support PC as well. This has both upsides and downsides and an upside being that they can handle system calls differently for one game to the next which then allows this sort of thing. I agree that I overlooked this earlier, still tho, this won't work for all games and one has to wonder how many can make use of this. This is the reason more BC games on xsx will do more enhancements without patches than is possible on the PS5.

My bad for forgetting this. Isn't there a Gears game that got an actual patch? With better textures and such? Or am I misremembering?

NeonGhost

Oh you have something to say because I’m gonna guess you didn’t watch the video where the backwards compatibility team is making 4K patches to Xbox one games to increase resolutions with out changing the code or needing developers

Last edited:

NeonGhost

That seems to me that the game originally used a dynamic resolution of sorts which the XSX then profits from. He also clearly said that this won't work for all games.

The Xbox APIs are more abstract than on the PS consoles. For them that makes a lot of sense due to needing to support PC as well. This has both upsides and downsides and an upside being that they can handle system calls differently for one game to the next which then allows this sort of thing. I agree that I overlooked this earlier, still tho, this won't work for all games and one has to wonder how many can make use of this. This is the reason more BC games on xsx will do more enhancements without patches than is possible on the PS5.

My bad for forgetting this. Isn't there a Gears game that got an actual patch? With better textures and such? Or am I misremembering?
Gears of war ultimate edition was maxed out at 1080p they got it up to 4K without changing any code in the game. Gears 5 is getting a patch from the developers with a lot of extra graphics features and 120fps multiplayer. Never said it was gonna be for every game just the games the backwards compatibility team chooses to do

AeneaGames

Oh you have something to say because I’m gonna guess you didn’t watch the video where the backwards compatibility team is making patched to Xbox one games to increase resolutions with out changing the code or needing developers

FYI, if they don't change the code it's not a patch, could just be a config file to tell the XSX to behave differently with certain API calls...

NeonGhost

FYI, if they don't change the code it's not a patch, could just be a config file to tell the XSX to behave differently with certain API calls...
Ok fine so when the backwards compatibility team enhances a Xbox one game with out changing the code

AeneaGames

Gears of war ultimate edition was maxed out at 1080p they got it up to 4K without changing any code in the game. Gears 5 is getting a patch from the developers with a lot of extra graphics features and 120fps multiplayer. Never said it was gonna be for every game just the games the backwards compatibility team chooses to do

Yes, they got it there by changing how the API handles certain calls.
Just look at it as a form of dynamic/variable resolution.

This is not possible for every game no matter how much the BC team wants it, if it's not possible it won't happen.

NeonGhost

Yes, they got it there by changing how the API handles certain calls.
Just look at it as a form of dynamic/variable resolution.

This is not possible for every game no matter how much the BC team wants it, if it's not possible it won't happen.
I never said it was gonna be for every game just like the 360 enhanced games they will pick games they want to do and test.

AeneaGames

Yeah that what I thought I’m gonna guess you’re just gonna be upset because the Xbox will have a library of older games that will run better and enhanced that the ps5 won’t have

PS5 can't use those API tricks, correct, so there will be a smaller percentage of games that automagically gets improvements without patching.

(tho I do believe there are more games overall on the PS4)

dEvAnGeL

Yeah that what I thought I’m gonna guess you’re just gonna be upset because the Xbox will have a library of older games that will run better and enhanced that the ps5 won’t have
I really don't want to make you look more stupid than you already do. Plus the NBA finals are on right now. So I'm being nice. But be careful because maybe someone can upgrade you from stupid to mega stupid without changing the code.

NeonGhost

I really don't want to make you look more stupid than you already do. Plus the NBA finals are on right now. So I'm being nice. But be careful because maybe someone can upgrade you from stupid to mega stupid without changing the code.
Oh please do since you have some greater knowledge that I don’t know about

AeneaGames

I never said it was gonna be for every game just like the 360 enhanced games they will pick games they want to do and test.

If they pick a game where its not possible, then what?

Listen to your own posted video, he said this won't work for all games so the BC team can not do it for all games they want...

NeonGhost

PS5 can't use those API tricks, correct, so there will be a smaller percentage of games that automagically gets improvements without patching.

(tho I do believe there are more games overall on the PS4)
I wonder how the backwards compatibility team are gonna be doubling frame rates of games with 30fps caps

NeonGhost

If they pick a game where its not possible, then what?

Listen to your own posted video, he said this won't work for all games so the BC team can not do it for all games they want...
We wouldn’t know what games that will be until they give us the enhanced versions idk what games give them problems neither do you

AeneaGames

Anyhoo, we're all getting machines that will have great new games and that can run most previous gen games which is fantastic!

I'm happy as a clam if I can play my backlog on the same machine as the new games. If some have automatic enhancements or even better a proper patch then that's a bonus!

There really is no need to keep fighting over that.

NeonGhost

Anyhoo, we're all getting machines that will have great new games and that can run most previous gen games which is fantastic!

I'm happy as a clam if I can play my backlog on the same machine as the new games. If some have automatic enhancements or even better a proper patch then that's a bonus!

There really is no need to keep fighting over that.
I’m not fighting just saying I don’t see the PlayStation having a backwards compatibility team that are enhancing older games that the developers have no interest on doing themselves

Top Bottom