• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Kilau

That is just his tag.
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Gold member getting banned? Come on now.
Gold members are not immune to bans.

Next week, TLoU Pt 1 releases, in two month God of War Ragnarok, there will be no lack of demand for the PS5 and they know it.

They can drop the price in the future when there is ample stock, from their perspective what are they losing?
I would also bet their showcase will be meaty this year with the PS VR2 and everything releasing next year.

jm89

But Sony IS outselling Xbox at a higher price though?

You can very easily buy Xbox Series S EVERYWHERE for about a year already. The console has met its demand for a while now and it' was 200€ cheaper than the PS5 before.
Let's not pretend they aren't competing against each other cause they are.
I know it's outselling already. Just saying if it sells out at a higher price point like then the series x the demand between will really show and some folks won't be happy.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Have Fun

Only going multi is the truth

I was very much in that camp. PC = gathering dust, XBox Series S = gathering dust, PS5 was my main machine. But I decided to consolidate on PC as that's where the games are going so the consoles were sold. Only thing is my PC is getting on a bit and I'm not ready to shell out for a brand new one yet (waiting for nVidia 4000 series GPU), hence my thinking about getting a Series X in the meantime.

Last edited:
Seriously tho, Sony is trying make even the most rabid fanboy hate them at this point.
Wouldn't their fanboys have a PS5 already at this point? Ain't nobody making purchase decisions of a 10% difference in price, ain't nobody legitimately outraged over this.

I'm way more bothered buy how much PS+ Premium sucks than I'm over PS5 getting a slightly more expensive. Going for Deluxe/Premium over Extra really feels like getting suckered into a bad deal.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
the good news is sony will probably drop a ragnarok trailer or something to drown this out.

i'm also pretty surprised they're leaving the price alone in the US. feels like inflation is creeping into everything here.

What was the price before in those markets?
€50 euro less
Well everything is increasing in price so I'm guessing that's the reason. I don't think they really know until the new price takes effect.

Problem is you have aging tech that's increasing in price where it should be dropping, hardware across all appliances drop in price as they get older. I believe this is unprecedented but maybe someone knows better?
Inflation, the cost of products to produce chips and hardware is increasing, China is blocking sand for chipmaking to Taiwan.
The rising of shipping products all over the world cous fuelprices are rising, the war in Oekraine, factorys all over the world paying much more for energy for making theyr products, material prices are rising trough the roof and i coud go on.....But a lot of posters here have found fuel to bitch about Sony....

Last edited:

Fahdis

At least console gamers don't know the pain of Etherium and greed tax from Nvidia/AMD and the like..

Its a non-issue. As soon as Ethereum moves to a POS system, those days will be over. Which leaves Bitcoin and its not even profitable anymore even in a Bull market.

The future is about regulations, privacy and zero knowledge proofs along with a better infrastructure for internet and Cloud companies.

Also, $80 games along with paid live services and now a price increase? Oh, you sweet summer child.

However, just as an update, yes you are right, they are greedy as fuck. All these nasty corporations are.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would've done that long ago if I was Jimbo, seems like he waited for the wrong moment (clearly there was room for the PS5 to cost more before).

With that said with games like TLoU Pt1 and God of War Ragnarok about to release he probably chose to do the scalping himself.

With the way PR cycles works, they'll get a bad one now and an extra good one in the future when they drop the price. To me this is an indication that they predict they won't have ample stock for some time still.
A+, respectable attempt sir.

the good news is sony will probably drop a ragnarok trailer or something to drown this out.

i'm also pretty surprised they're leaving the price alone in the US. feels like inflation is creeping into everything here.
The US is a unique market for Sony, it's where the Xbox is relatively stronger. Who knows though, I could see them raising it in the future once they see what happens in other places.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Hey MS, here's your free-of-charge price cut, now you're not pushed to cut the pricing for XSX or XSS to be more competitive.

Financially wise speaking smart move, business wise speaking not so sure in the mid-long term, but for their potential future customers well this just sucks.

All imported goods will become 10-20% more expensive in the upcoming months in Europe. It's just a matter of time before MS will raise prices too. The euro lost 20% of its value compared to the dollar and then there's inflation, rising transport costs and rising energy prices. It costs more to manufacture *anything* and MS will certainly not want to sell Xbox consoles at the original price in euros and earn 20% less in dollars because the euro tanked.

Nautilus

Banned
But Sony IS outselling Xbox at a higher price though?

You can very easily buy Xbox Series S EVERYWHERE for about a year already. The console has met its demand for a while now and it' was 200€ cheaper than the PS5 before.
Let's not pretend they aren't competing against each other cause they are.
It's not outselling the Switch though. To be fair though, the Switch is in its twillight years, and on its way out(seemingly). Sony also knows this, so they probably aren't worried on that front either.

Hate this as a consumer, but it makes perfect sense. Anyone in the US should try to buy a PS5 soon, because its only a matter of time until they raise the price there.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Maybe it's an exchange rate thing too. USD is holding pretty strong against other currencies and therefore they can justify it?

jm89

I wonder how much loss ms are taking on the xsx, surely more than ps5? Not like they care as they seem to eat cost of anything for market share.

It's not outselling the Switch though. To be fair though, the Switch is in its twillight years, and on its way out(seemingly). Sony also knows this, so they probably aren't worried on that front either.

Hate this as a consumer, but it makes perfect sense. Anyone in the US should try to buy a PS5 soon, because its only a matter of time until they raise the price there.
Ain't nobody deciding between a Switch and PS5 at this point, completely different products. Not to mention that Sony seems able to pretty much sell all the units that they can produce so they never had a chance to beat the Switch on units anyway.

Last edited:

tommib

I wonder how much loss ms are taking on the xsx, surely more than ps5? Not like they care as they seem to eat cost of anything for market share.
Why more? The DualSense must cost more to produce as well as the the PS5’s I/O system. I bet they cost the same?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC/GPU - oh shit covid, inflation, mining - 3080 goes 700$ to 1500$
Consoles - oh shit covid, inflation, mining - Maybe raise price 50$ after 2 years for the whole system

yeah 50 is ok. It's a shame since you can buy ps5 only in bundles though

Last edited:

skit_data

So… I expect some good news from Playstation soon. Can’t just pass on shit like this without having some kind of balancing news.

Imagine if MS finalized the purchase of Activision Blizzard and then also lowered the prices of the X and S the same month while Sony raised theirs. This gen will be interesting for sure.

Say it isn't true though. Xbox doesn't compete outside of the US so they know they can get away with it. It would be a dumb move in the US since Xbox has been neck and neck with them. As someone else said, they are screwing their loyal fans. It's funny.
They are actually pretty strong here in the UK but I'm just concerned about the massive increase in cost of living yet Sony are increasing their prices for a luxury item that was expensive enough already and is 2 years old technology.

Sony have treated PS gamers far worse this generation than their main competitors and continue to offer less value. Parents want to buy their children what they want for the holidays and no doubt PS5 will be high up the list, I don't understand how this is defendable at all.
€50 euro less

Inflation the cost of products to produce chips and hardware is increasing, China is blocking sand for chipmaking to Taiwan
The rising of shipping products all over the world cous fuelprices are rising, factorys all over the world paying much more for energy for making theyr products,
Graphics cards prices are dropping so your argument makes no sense. Since 2022 prices for graphics cards in the UK have dropped by 56%.

Nop...they won't do that in the USA. They would've announced it already.

Crazy prediction: Sony announced this during the night because some good news are coming today during the day 🤡
(i'm terrible at these predictions so we'll see in a few hours lmao)

Only reason they didn't increase it in USA is because they are afraid to lose market share to Xbox.
I'm not super familiar with the US market but I just checked Walmart and it seems as though PS5s are in stock, albeit in bundles. They probably don't increase the price because the demand is not exceeding the supply currently, would be my guess. I doubt this price increase has much to do with inflation. Sony knows the PS5 was underpriced and they're correcting for in the markets where the demand outstrips the supply still.

Last edited:
That's why I believe they're about to have a Huge showcase soon. You don't release a price increase without showing that it's worth it.

Playstation is about to drop bombs this coming September. It's pretty much guaranteed at this point.
I think you overestimate the impact of a showcase. Thing like games actually releasing like TLoU Pt1, God of War Ragnarok matter a lot more than promises.

2023 is already packed with releases as well, I don't think that's it. We probably were going to get a showcase regardless (like we got every year so far this gen), they don't take part in any other game show anymore they have to showcase their games somewhere.

Last edited:
Lol it is okay because I'm a capitalist and I believe a profit incentive is the reason why gaming is so good. It drives innovation and it produces incredibly good outcomes in terms of entertainment.
The problem is we know what a corporation’s interest is. We know it’s financial. To default to this for what is at best a questionable decision is just lazy and drab.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sony prices USA Vs. Rest of the world:

Games:
USA: 69.99$
Rest of the world: 79.99€/69.99£

Console:
USA: 499$/399$
Rest of the world: 549.99€/499.99€ - 479.99£/389.99£

If currency conversion is done, the prices are the same everywhere except in the USA. Why does Sony make these differences?! What is different in the rest of the world and not in the USA?! It seems that we, the rest of the world, are not treated or do not have the same treatment as those in the USA. Shame on you Sony!

Because the rest of the world puts up with Sonys bs specially Europe and latin america. "la play" is basically a religion. Buy Xbox and see those prices go down.

The problem is we know what a corporation’s interest is. We know it’s financial. To default to this for what is at best a questionable decision is just lazy and drab.
Why is it a questionable decision? The PS5 is a luxury product absolutely nobody needs and for which there is plenty of affordable competition. Buy a PS4 Pro if you're so eager to play video games on your TV. You should charge what the market will bear else you risk a shortage (or if you overcharge, your product doesn't sell well). Why do basic economic principles not apply to absolutely unnecessary items like a PS5 lol?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not super familiar with the US market but I just checked Walmart and it seems as though PS5s are in stock, albeit in bundles. They probably don't increase the price because the demand is not exceeding the supply currently, would be my guess. I doubt this price increase has much to do with inflation. Sony knows the PS5 was underpriced and they're correcting for in the markets where the demand outstrips the supply still.

What you are seeing on Walmart's website are from third party resellers who are essentially scalpers. None of that stock is from Walmart themselves. Demand in US for PS5 is still outpacing supply by quite a bit.

I'm usually behind Sony, but this is disgusting. People are struggling with keeping their job at the moment, and people are going to struggle with bills this winter due to all the gas and electricity companies spiking their prices, so people can't afford to spend another £30 on an already expensive console.

There is no need to charge more when your demand is so high.

This is going to be one long ass generation.

Absolutely: The Covid impact; The russian aggression on Ukraine; The law of dimishing returns with transistors/chips...
I do not expect a PS6/XBox Next before 2029/2030...and that is not a bad thing. The generation has not even started properly, and the machines are powerful enough to impress us for years and years to come.

Nautilus

Banned
Ain't nobody deciding between a Switch and PS5 at this point, completely different products. Not to mention that Sony seems able to pretty much sell all the units that they can produce so they never had a chance to beat the Switch on units anyway.
Both products are consoles dedicated to playing games, so they compete against each other, given that they are in the same market.

But yeah, agree completely with your second point. And with the PS5 still early on its life, and the Switch on its way out, it's only a matter of time until the PS5 starts outselling it.

Why is it a questionable decision? The PS5 is a luxury product absolutely nobody needs and for which there is plenty of affordable competition. Buy a PS4 Pro if you're so eager to play video games on your TV. You should charge what the market will bear else you risk a shortage (or if you overcharge, your product doesn't sell well). Why do basic economic principles not apply to absolutely unnecessary items like a PS5 lol?
As a consumer I don’t have to be correct from a economic standpoint. Again, to even enforce that sort of ruling is pathetically lazy and unproductive. You literally do not work for Sony.

Nautilus

Banned
Nop...they won't do that in the USA. They would've announced it already.

Crazy prediction: Sony announced this during the night because some good news are coming today during the day 🤡
(i'm terrible at these predictions so we'll see in a few hours lmao)
Maybe. But it sure feels like this is a "testing the waters" scenario that, if it goes well, they will expand the raise to other markets, not just the US. Feels like, if this happens, will only happen in early 2023 though.

I'm usually behind Sony, but this is disgusting. People are struggling with keeping their job at the moment, and people are going to struggle with bills this winter due to all the gas and electricity companies spiking their prices, so people can't afford to spend another £30 on an already expensive console.

There is no need to charge more when your demand is so high.

Video games are a luxury; People who are struggling should not even entertain the thought of adding unecessary expenses. Wait for two-three years; The console will be readily available, at a better price, and with a plethora of great first and third party software to boot.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So no US price increase. Wow. And here I thought the US had inflation too. I guess Xbox doing well in the US means the price has to stay the same, but in markets where PS5 clearly wins, they can jack it up without consequences.

The global economic environment is a challenge that many of you around the world are no doubt experiencing. We’re seeing high global inflation rates, as well as adverse currency trends, impacting consumers and creating pressure on many industries. Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada. There will be no price increase in the United States.

Top Bottom