• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price to increase in select markets

Interfectum

Sony hoping that $10k student loan relief will help 2-300 people buy the PSVR2 helmet early next year. Can't wait to see sales on that thing.

MS was the bad guy last gen and this gen, Sony has done everything possible to wrestle that title from them. They are Apple now. Closed garden and price gouge. Like a sports stadium. If you have the money, build a PC instead
As long as the games are good and keep coming it's all good, that's what matters.

You can have all the value proposition, 1$ deals and good PR in the world and none of it is going to matter unless you consistently deliver when it comes to games.

Even when Sony was at their lowest, about to go broke, they still managed to invest in their games and that's what kept them in this business and what placed them in such a privileged position where their direct competitor is unable to threaten them in any way, regardless of how much money they are willing to lose.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The PS5 has been massively underpriced for the last two years. The market value of a PS5 was $700-750 for about two years and only went down recently.

Understandable decision. If your system has been completely sold out for two years and resellers are charging hundreds more, then your product is underpriced and a price increase is logical.
You guys do realize the whole point of a console (before this generation at least) was to be a cheap, good entry point into gaming??? If the price goes above 500 bucks that's kinda defeating the purpose, yknow

Topher

Gold Member

The irony of a guy posting on Twitter calling the internet broken.

Kill Me Smh GIF

Puts things into perspective doesn't it. And this is before Microsoft's mega-software output is unleashed. The next few years will be incredible to watch, competition is a beautiful thing.

it shows the brand strength of both PS and nintendo. microsoft are way more consumer friendly these days but still lag in last place selling the least hardware of the 3. even with the most amount of capital and spending power, they are still playing catch up. thats because sony and nintendo have actually worked their asses off getting to their current positions.

theres no quick way to dominate this industry. you gotta put in the effort to be at the top. if microsoft did the same, they wouldnt have to scramble around and buy 3rd party publishers because they realised they have barely any ip people care about and were looking at another gen of being left behind.

John Wick

Yup. Crashing Euro is a reason why they are increasing prices in...
...Japan, China, Mexico, Australia, Canada and UK

Sounds about right.
Are you living in a bubble? I think your just arguing in bad faith. Prices are increasing across the board for everything. From milk to fuel. Components are going up. Transport has skyrocketed. My local Pizza shops have increased their Parmo prices from £8.50 on everage to about £11 in a matter of months.
A fan I bought over a year ago for £40 is now selling at £60. People are in for some shocks come October/November time here in the UK.
I have more a problem with Sony charging for upgrades and $70 for TLOU.

Record profits and putting the cost on the consumer. I regret buying a PS5 day one and supporting this company. At a point it just becomes blatantly predatory. On top of that not increasing price in US just shows that they will eat some of that profit if it benefits share. Inflation is a poor excuse for greed.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

kikii

Or it could be that everything is going up these last few months? I still can't believe they are charging $70 for the TLOU Remake. Jimbo needs to go sooner rather than later.
3rd or 4th i say this, its new game for some people and they will enjoy it or not =) and if u actually read that blog u would know why =) yday dollar was stronger than euro so tadaa :p

tommib

Lol this is bs.
Putting XSX on the same level as PS5 digital is a win for xbox because it's cheaper?
It's much more weaker than the reduction in price.
Also, I would much more prefer to pay 70 for good games than get used to getting free indie games all the time.
Some upgrades were free on ps5.

Anyway. I will say it
Xbox is bad for the industry. It is devaluing games, Phil is a filthy liar and microsoft buying everything is making the whole industry worse.
And they have no games
Oh, Rofif. You’re adorable. How would you fall for that bait. Lmao and then you finish with #xboxhasnogames

Priceless, dude.

If they were going to increase the price they should have done it everywhere. Now other countries are paying more so us Americans get it at a lower price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh, Rofif. You’re adorable. How would you fall for that bait. Lmao and then you finish with #xboxhasnogames

Priceless, dude.
yeah I know that was a bait lol :p
But still... ps gets too much shit lately. Xbox fans are starting to be really annoying. I see them everywhere... not enjoying their thing but trolling others

Banjo64

cumsessed
Our car insurance is going up by almost 50 percent for no reason other than they can. Been shopping around to other agents but it looks like everyone is going up a lot.
Have to cit back on even more stuff and games will be the first thing on the chopping block.
Where!? I’ve had 6 points and a £450 fine and my insurance still went from £46 a month to £37 a month when I renewed it a few days ago, and that now includes roadside cover. If anything (in the UK) mobile providers and insurance companies are one of the only industries that aren’t trying to rape us (at the moment).

tommib

yeah I know that was a bait lol :p
But still... ps gets too much shit lately. Xbox fans are starting to be really annoying. I see them everywhere... not enjoying their thing but trolling others
Hey, it’s all fun and games. We got to play Returnal that even broke your controller with the crazy haptics. :p
Ps5 Pad GIF by tvgry

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hey, it’s all fun and games. We got to play Returnal that even broke your controller with the crazy haptics. :p
Ps5 Pad GIF by tvgry
Yeah... was it last year?
I only played gow2018(60fpspatch), Elden Ring, HFW, UC4 remaster and Stray on ps5 this year... really sad drought of a year even for ps really.
I have huge backlog.... I need to get to it.. both spider man games, got and some other stuff.

but lol. My only PC games this year are Metro Exodus rtx and Vampire Survivors and I put the most hours in it by far haha

Del_X

Pull up the DXY chart and there's your answer. Every other major currency is getting rekt by the US dollar.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
ps gets too much shit lately. Xbox fans are starting to be really annoying. I see them everywhere... not enjoying their thing but trolling others

Anyway. I will say it
Xbox is bad for the industry. It is devaluing games, Phil is a filthy liar and microsoft buying everything is making the whole industry worse.
And they have no games

thierry-henry-smile.gif

Hugare

Another sad outcome is: we will see even fewer exclusives due to the limited player base

Cross gen for the next 2 years

MaulerX

It's baffling. A company who is unquestionably the market leader and comfortably at the top is acting like they're in dire straights nickel and diming customers at every turn.

Games now cost $70.

Charging $10 to upgrade games from PS4 to PS5.

Charging $70 for a remake.

Constantly giving people a hard time just to get a refund.

God forbid there's an accidental credit card chargeback and boom they ban your. account.

Begging on their knees to the courts to block the MS acquisition of ABK because "OMG what would we do without the COD revenue!!!"

First time in video game history where the price on a video game console is raised.

Makes you raise a brow no doubt.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Lol this is bs.
Putting XSX on the same level as PS5 digital is a win for xbox because it's cheaper?
It's much more weaker than the reduction in price.
Also, I would much more prefer to pay 70 for good games than get used to getting free indie games all the time.
Some upgrades were free on ps5.

Anyway. I will say it
And they have no games

So it just be Sony dominated and then the industry is ok?

tommib

Yeah... was it last year?
I only played gow2018(60fpspatch), Elden Ring, HFW, UC4 remaster and Stray on ps5 this year... really sad drought of a year even for ps really.
I have huge backlog.... I need to get to it.. both spider man games, got and some other stuff.

but lol. My only PC games this year are Metro Exodus rtx and Vampire Survivors and I put the most hours in it by far haha
You should try to get Ghostwire Tokyo for the PS5. I’m playing it now and I kind of love it? Looks lush and the narrative is hyper mysterious which is totally my thing.

Top Bottom