• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

It will be a mess. They won't be able to move on from Series S, as that's the majority of their sales for this gen. It also means Sony has two years to adjust things to be much more powerful than them. Or even staying with their current plan could lead to that.

NeXbox will be Zen 5, PS6 will be Zen 6. NeXbox will be RDNA 4, PS6 will be RDNA5. NeXbox may use GDDR7, but may stick with GDDR6 for cost reduction, PS6 will use GDDR7 or 8. There will also be advancements in SSDs in the 2 years between the two.

MS is about to Dreamcast the Xbox brand if this is true, because most people will just wait for the vastly superior PS6, getting a PS5 Pro over a NeXbox to tide them over.

What's also funny is the new 10 year COD deal won't even be up in 2025, so they can't even brag about that as an exclusive.

it's almost like MS is trying every trick in the book to get relevant again

Paper spec wars? Tried, failed.

now they will try and release 2 years earlier? Ok, that's going to backfire big time when there's nothing to show off and no devs support it meaningfully. PS5 Pro will look almost just as good and PS6 will be significantly better 2 years after that

They had a huge advantage on both price, power, and 1 year headstart on 360 but that was mainly due to Sony's incompetence at that time. No such advantages exist for that trifecta anymore. MS is just gonna fuck up the next gen again like the Series S with a gimped console they will claim as next-gen

That will never happen. A refresh every 3ish years? That's a possibility. But every year? Nope.

The console business is just wired that way. Eg... as it stands, you could take the current 6nm PS5 APU, clock both the CPU and GPU higher, and maybe end up with an 11/12TF GPU. And maintain the same chassis size as the OG console and cooling hardware. But they don't do that, they would sooner shrink the console, keep specs the same, and reduce its price.

And that's the difference between phones/GPUs/CPUs and consoles. Those other products are trying to take the same or more money from you each year. So the only way they can justify doing that is by giving you some sort of upgrade.

This kinda talk is becoming very very very annoying now....

I am going to stop myself from saying anything anymore or addressing such commenters, or else I get banned.

So indulge me, pls.... why is a PS5pro, that could cost $100/$200 more than the OG, while having 2x the GPu power, 30-50% more CPU power, 30-40% faster memory bandwidth, that is COMPLETELY an optional purchase. Be outta touch?'

Why do the rules that don't apply to every GPU/CPU ever made every single year, or every single new smartphone released every single year somehow... apply to Sony and the PS5?

How does a PS5pro existing, affect you or anyone in any way whatsoever?

This just baffles me.

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but at this point, the only way this kinda nonsense makes sense is to believe that MS is paying people to spread this kinda FUD. As senseless as that may sound, that's the only thing that makes sense right now.

Microsoft will pass the usual check as part of their business "relationship".
You'll see them being negative on the concept of a mid gen console whereas it was fantastic last gen when they unveiled the specs of the Xbox One X.
They'll avoid direct comparisons with XSX at all costs and they'll compare the Pro mainly to PCs with a 4080/4090 to be able to claim it's not that good.

It's an already written script :pie_gsquint:
I actually expect the pro to outperform the 4080 in pure rasterization on a decent amount of games (especially exclusives)

Well those emails were old and things change... its just a feeling that I have and well only time will tell...I wont bet my house on it thats for sure.... and again our friend MS insider on this forum hinted of this possibility (earlier launch) ....

Back on topic.

I want a good pro console no matter the cost... I wont pay for some cheap 499 half assed upgrade... if thats the case Ill wait for the ps6 or maybe go full PC if sony starts releasing their games earlier (6 months to 1 year ) on PC... getting tired of 499 consoles to be honest... this cheapness is hurting this industry imho.
I would like a $700 pro if it could guranteee Rdna 4 and zen 5

Ovech-King

Gold Member
For the newcomers here, Heisenberg is definitly legit. I remember clearly 4 years go that he was the first and only one credible source around here that was hearing the PS5 would be close to (shockingly) 9-10tf rather than the 12tf everyone was expecting and that only the Series X end up having.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I've heard somewhere that 2-3nm is getting quite small and next step is quantum computing which is an obvious marketing bullshit name as of yet as nothing about quantum physics is more than a theory so far... except maybe dual slit experiment but that's kinda explained.
Even that, 7nm to 3nm is splitting hair here. WE went from 65nm on first core2duo to 7-5 being common now
You mean the double slit experiment (if your going to condemn a field$ quantum physics isn’t bs it’s biggest issues is its contradictions with general relativity I’ve been studying it a lot this year it’s somewhat untested in some areas is all. About quantum computing games as they are structured now can’t work with them but maybe games in the future produces more in synchronization with ai and llm could work with quantum computers (I suspect the ps6 will have a dedicated ai based llm powering it and who knows some quantum mechanics backing it)

Last edited:
It worked for the X360. They are just going back to well because they have run out of ideas. Series S failed miserably and winning the tflops wars didnt do them any favor.

They can either focus on releasing quality exclusives slowly earning back the trust and accumulating goodwill or pull off another gimmick to win quickly. they will do the latter.
Except it didn't work. The 360s first year of sales were poor. It was only after the PS3 launched and people saw how Sony screwed up at the beginning of that gen did the 360 start to take off. Sony eventually pulled it around in the end and came out on top, even if only by ~4M.

Sony are not making the same mistakes ever, again. They are sticking with AMD HW that is easy to develop for, not expensive custom architecture that 3rd party's have to get accustomed to. MS will not have the better multiplats, especially if Sony comes out 1-2 years later with better tech all around. And with MS's management is now, they seem to only care about pumping out mediocre to decent content to feed the GamePass beast when it comes to 1st party SW.

Finally, you have to add on digital libraries. We will have gone through 2 gens where people are buying mainly digital, meaning people have 100s of games in their libraries. Are they giving that money up just to get a little head start on next gen? Hell no.

Last edited:

buenoblue

PS6 will overtake it without a doubt just get that feeling the powers that be at Xbox want about 2 years of being able to have the clear cut top dog in power and not go head to head in sales vs PS

No clue on what they plan on pricing it at, could very well be a two pronged approach again and have a lower priced mass consumer spec and this other one thats being floated around

I think you could be right or at least very close

Surly this is just semantics? Releasing a more powerful Xbox that has backwards compatibility with the old Xbox is the same as the pro no? Call it pro or New Xbox it amounts to the same thing really.

Unless they drop support for releasing games on series x immediately. But then that would be a kick in the face for loyal fans and I feel the new Xbox would fare even worse than the series.

In my humble opinion Microsoft have a few options. Get rid of Phil for starters. For him to say that good games don't matter really didn't sit right with me and shows the core problem with his management style. He has zero quality control and I don't think he knows what a good game actually is.

Also they could stop with this day one gamepass shit. It's obviously not working and Xbox and game sales have suffered. One could say that the quality of the games have suffered too in the rush for quantity over quality that a subscription service inevitably chases.

And my other idea is just put full windows 11 on the series x !!!!! A full on productivity and small form factor gaming PC would fly off the shelves. You could even increase the price for the windows 11 version to offset the loss.

But most importantly I believe in my soul that it really is all about the games. If Microsoft can get a new leader of Xbox in that can nurture and really deliver great games, which should be easily achievable with there army of studios and vast resources they have access to. It's not about power power power, or subscriptions or cheap games. It's all about great games, look at the switch and even the PS5 to some extent.

-Zelda-

Banned
The PS4 Pro may have not been worth it for you, but it was 100% worth it for me! No one is forcing you to buy the PS5 Pro. It's not for everyone. If it's not for you, then move on.
I mean, that's pretty much what I just posted, so thanks for reconfirming it for me...?

Gambit2483

jennifer-lawrence-the-mocking-jay.gif

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I've heard somewhere that 2-3nm is getting quite small and next step is quantum computing which is an obvious marketing bullshit name as of yet as nothing about quantum physics is more than a theory so far... except maybe dual slit experiment but that's kinda explained.
Even that, 7nm to 3nm is splitting hair here. WE went from 65nm on first core2duo to 7-5 being common now
The big issue wit
The problem isn’t the consoles, it is the devs and publishers rushing games out before they are ready.

If you look at most of the “next gen” games you will notice performance is very inconsistent. Some games run at a rock solid 60 fps at close to 4K even and some run at like 720p 60 fps. IMO it comes down to the ability by the dev team because in most cases even games that launched at only 30 fps, end up getting patched with 60 fps.

My main point is the base consoles can do more but they are just not being utilized correctly because publishers have a “rush the game out and patch it up later mindset”.

A pro console isn’t going to solve all those issues over night, just look at the crap ports being released on PC. Jedi Survivors was a mess at launch even on a 4090.

The idea that a pro console will solve all performance issues is a pipe dream imo, we only had maybe a solid 1 year of “next gen” games and now they are going to release another console probably for like $599 so we can get performance that was promised with the current consoles, idk how people can’t see the scam in that.

Now I could be wrong, maybe the pro releases and all games will run at a rock solid 60-120 fps at 4K but I have a really hard time believing that will be the case.

If the pro does happen I am very curious to see how they market it, what features it will have, etc.

It’s suppose to be a “premium” edition so it should be made for a niche market but I can’t help but think anyone that cares that much about specs/setting options, why wouldn’t they just be on a PC, but apparently “PC is too complicated to use” lol… we will see.
because we already have a library of ps games and like physical media

bender

What time is it?
Surly this is just semantics? Releasing a more powerful Xbox that has backwards compatibility with the old Xbox is the same as the pro no? Call it pro or New Xbox it amounts to the same thing really.

A new generation resets the baseline and could have games developed specifically for it. A pro model of the current Series consoles would mean developers would need to develop for three different models.

magnumpy

I'm thinking 60 fps is the "excuse" that will be used for this to exist.

aren't happy with the PS5 performance? well we just so happen to have a new upgrade with somewhat better FPS... D:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If the Series S/X was launched in 2019, how would that be any better? If they launched in 2021, this would have helped them react better to the PS5 digital edition, the dualsense, and give them the time to overclock their Series X more. But then they would have let Sony alone for one year, and they didn't wanted that. 1 year can mean a lot. But yes, it could work, if they invest in good hardware. 2 or more, and it will be a disaster.
Honestly, you are right. 1 year early, 1 year late, 2 years early. Nothing wouldve worked after how they ended last gen essentially sending the x1 out to die going several years without any exclusives.

i now see that the series s is going for $138 at walmart. If a hundred dollar console cant save Microsoft, nothing will. They simply need to earn back the trust from gamers by releasing goty caliber exclusives, and i fear this year with redfall, starfield and forza's botched launches, they have done the complete opposite. this was the year they finally had the exclusives and they blew it. Releasing a console in 2025 will work with their hardcore fanbase but i think they will sell even fewer units after selling to their 20 million strong fanbase.

I think Sony has the right idea with the Pro even if they themselves had a rough start to the gen with very few exclusives and top of the line games people look at and say ok, i need a pro for this. Thankfully, third parties have made it easier for sony to justify it with a lot of 720p 60 fps games, and if its anything like the Pro sales last gen, it will give the ps5 sales a boost rather than piss off the average gamer. they just need to pair that console up with actual exclusives from premiere first party studios. right now they have nothing set for next year, and releasing a new console when your fanbase is starved for big name exclusives is a lesson they need to learn from Microsoft.

Last edited:

onQ123

Fool me once, shame on me. You aren't roping me in again, Sony. The PS4 Pro was not worth it, Imo, so I will not be getting a PS5 Pro.
But the PS4 Pro was the same price as the PS4 before the price drop . Please explain how it wasn't worth the same price as the PS4 when it was 2x the GPU processing power.

So you're telling me that PS5 is worth $499 today but somehow PS5 Pro isn't going to be worth $499 - $599 next year?

Baki

it's almost like MS is trying every trick in the book to get relevant again

Paper spec wars? Tried, failed.

now they will try and release 2 years earlier? Ok, that's going to backfire big time when there's nothing to show off and no devs support it meaningfully. PS5 Pro will look almost just as good and PS6 will be significantly better 2 years after that

They had a huge advantage on both price, power, and 1 year headstart on 360 but that was mainly due to Sony's incompetence at that time. No such advantages exist for that trifecta anymore. MS is just gonna fuck up the next gen again like the Series S with a gimped console they will claim as next-gen
They have 30 studios and now own the biggest 3rd party publisher. They will get their devs to add extra visual bells and whistles to their NextBox games while still releasing on current gen. So COD will perform best on NextBox and will be available on GP vs $70 on PS5 and not looking as good. I don’t think that’s enough to reverse their fortunes but it’s a better strategy than competing head to head with Sony.

PeteBull

I think the Series X refresh has been scrapped and they are shooting for a 2025 next gen jump start

I would ALMOST bet all in on this
Dunno if 2025 or 2026 but i bet once they got 3nm process node they will go all in coz xbox series got artrocious sales, and they are cockblocked by their own xss compatilibty atm, so clean slate for them cant come soon enough, unlike for sony, they will only release their mashine holidays 2028 coz ps5/pr0 instal base will be humongous so for sony its super benefitial for current gen to last as long as possible- easier to aquire exclusives, even if timed, good sales for their first/2nd party titles coz lets not kid ourselfs- huge instal base means huge sale numbers even for not top of the top rated games, and ofc icing on the cake- big difficulties from xbox to aquire any exclusives coz it means 3rd party devs/pubs will wanna compensation for not being on ps5/having no access to those(by then in 2025-2026 80m+ players ;p).
Jimbo making phil feel the pain even from beyond his retirement rofl =D

Honestly, you are right. 1 year early, 1 year late, 2 years early. Nothing wouldve worked after how they ended last gen essentially sending the x1 out to die going several years without any exclusives.

i now see that the series s is going for $138 at walmart. If a hundred dollar console cant save Microsoft, nothing will. They simply need to earn back the trust from gamers by releasing goty caliber exclusives, and i fear this year with redfall, starfield and forza's botched launches, they have done the complete opposite. this was the year they finally had the exclusives and they blew it. Releasing a console in 2025 will work with their hardcore fanbase but i think they will sell even fewer units after selling to their 20 million strong fanbase.

I think Sony has the right idea with the Pro even if they themselves had a rough start to the gen with very few exclusives and top of the line games people look at and say ok, i need a pro for this. Thankfully, third parties have made it easier for sony to justify it with a lot of 720p 60 fps games, and if its anything like the Pro sales last gen, it will give the ps5 sales a boost rather than piss off the average gamer. they just need to pair that console up with actual exclusives from premiere first party studios. right now they have nothing set for next year, and releasing a new console when your fanbase is starved for big name exclusives is a lesson they need to learn from Microsoft.

The Series S at that price is crazy. This is the kind of price that will make me buy one if it happen in France too. They have the PS4 Pro to see what worked and what did not work, so I trust them and Cerny to give us something that will please us and the devs.

As for Xbox position. Unlike us who are just looking at tweets with fragmentary info, Xbox have all the data they need. They know exacly how much they are in trouble, and knew that for months. Games take time. Good games even more, as you have to make sure that it work, and that need to iterate and not just ship and fix later. Hardware is fixed and we know that the Series S will be there for a long time. All the solutions that we can propose will have their own drawbacks. This is why I am curious of what will happen when/if there is a PS5 Pro but no equivalent from Xbox. It will hurt them a lot, and a next gen early will need a lot of work to take off for Xbox.

sigrad

Here is what MS needs to do to win the next gen.

- wait until 2026
- launch one skew only
- heavily subsidize the hardware at $399 and make it a complete monster 40-50tf with 4gb storage, include elite controller, 1yr gamepass free
- Stop releasing games on pc day and date, 2 year delay
- make all Activision, Bethesda, minecraft and all other ip's xbox console exclusive
(Some Activision titles might be hard for few more years than that depending on contracts / what they ageed to, but eventually)

The combination of the above would sell 100 million units.
I'm an xbox fan and you are fucking crazy.

Everything you said about Xbox is spot on. I think they should have focused mainly on regaining the trust of there hardcore fans first by releasing only the series X and focusing on releasing high quality games. The series s could have happened after once they built up that trust and a decent library of games to win more causals with that plus a lower price point. A mediocre console for less money still doesn’t make it a good deal and that’s pretty much the situation they are in.

The issue with them is they wanted to grow quickly thinking the cheap series s would do that without building a good foundation first.

A lot of people might not agree but I think they are done with the console business and will go third party next gen if things don’t turn around next year with the Xbox series, makes no sense to launch another console after 2 straight failed console gen’s.

As for the PS5 pro, I still think it’s a big question mark but looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm an xbox fan and you are fucking crazy.

Yes, yes I am. But don't you agree, it's time for ms to do something radically different to recapture market? I mean if they release 4 or 5 great games the rest of this gen that would help, but it won't be enough to recapture lost customers.

FingerBang

It will be a mess. They won't be able to move on from Series S, as that's the majority of their sales for this gen. It also means Sony has two years to adjust things to be much more powerful than them. Or even staying with their current plan could lead to that.

NeXbox will be Zen 5, PS6 will be Zen 6. NeXbox will be RDNA 4, PS6 will be RDNA5. NeXbox may use GDDR7, but may stick with GDDR6 for cost reduction, PS6 will use GDDR7 or 8. There will also be advancements in SSDs in the 2 years between the two.

MS is about to Dreamcast the Xbox brand if this is true, because most people will just wait for the vastly superior PS6, getting a PS5 Pro over a NeXbox to tide them over.

What's also funny is the new 10 year COD deal won't even be up in 2025, so they can't even brag about that as an exclusive.
Man, this is exactly what I've been thinking about for days.

They will release a more powerful console that will be still tied to the baseline of a much more popular one: PS5

It will play the same games at higher res/framerate, which we know doesn't sell consoles.

When the PS6 comes, it will be more powerful and devs will start fully migrating to the next gen. That's when people will think owning one makes sense and make the jump.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
A new generation resets the baseline and could have games developed specifically for it. A pro model of the current Series consoles would mean developers would need to develop for three different models.
Its a nice way to say "fuck you" to the series S ... I think is the right move for MS, honestly..
They are the ONE company who has F.U. money to try something different.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes, yes I am. But don't you agree, it's time for ms to do something radically different to recapture market? I mean if they release 4 or 5 great games the rest of this gen that would help, but it won't be enough to recapture lost customers.
They have tried something radically differnet. Practically giving away the Series S and undercutting the PS5 with it. Putting big games day 1 on gamepass. Spending close to $100BIL on acquiring Zenimax and Activision. Yet it hasn't worked and sales are down further because the games they make lack the pull of Sony's 1st party and the 3rd party exclusives on the PS5.

Mr.Phoenix

They have 30 studios and now own the biggest 3rd party publisher. They will get their devs to add extra visual bells and whistles to their NextBox games while still releasing on current gen. So COD will perform best on NextBox and will be available on GP vs $70 on PS5 and not looking as good. I don’t think that’s enough to reverse their fortunes but it’s a better strategy than competing head to head with Sony.
You are in for one hell of a surprise...

And why is this thread now leaning towards Xbox staggered launch, isn't there a thread for that?

I don't see Sony waiting a full 2 years to launch their next gen console, really.

There's already rumors swirling about Sony getting a little more invested with Square-Enix(or at least Final Fantasy), I would assume in response to the Microsoft ABK buyout.

They'd respond in turn, most likely within a year.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 Why does Microsoft want to kickstart next-gen THAT early?

Feels like they're writing this generation off as a failure, which is weird because the system seems to sell fine in most areas(excluding UK).
Sony has seen and learned that they don’t need to counter anything from Microsoft.Even if the next Xbox has 3 years headstart PS 6 will outsell them the first year on the market.

-Zelda-

Banned
But the PS4 Pro was the same price as the PS4 before the price drop . Please explain how it wasn't worth the same price as the PS4 when it was 2x the GPU processing power.

So you're telling me that PS5 is worth $499 today but somehow PS5 Pro isn't going to be worth $499 - $599 next year?
I am under no obligation to explain anything for any reason to anyone. if I am not interested, then i am not interested. End of.

They will release a more powerful console that will be still tied to the baseline of a much more popular one: PS5

It will play the same games at higher res/framerate, which we know doesn't sell consoles.

When the PS6 comes, it will be more powerful and devs will start fully migrating to the next gen. That's when people will think owning one makes sense and make the jump.

It also completely disregards the timing of WHY next gen occurs. It's due to a proper node shrink.

A 2026 date for XBox is just going to be a beefier version of an older node the PS5 Pro is on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes, yes I am. But don't you agree, it's time for ms to do something radically different to recapture market?
They have been. By buying up storied third party IPs/Publishers.

Whether than changes anything, remains to be seen. The brand is too tarnished in the eyes of the global gamer at the moment.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
They have been. By buying up storied third party IPs/Publishers.

Whether than changes anything, remains to be seen. The brand is too tarnished in the eyes of the global gamer at the moment.

That's why I think it's not enough at this point, they need to get into more people's hands and minds. This is 3 years from now, so who knows.
A portable wouldn't hurt at some point, maybe in 2 or 3 years if it can run series S games.......

DJ12

Doesn't the series x already cost them 200 bucks more to make than they sell it for, or at least it did on release?

So they've already tried this but don't have the technical nouse to pull it off. They need someone like cerny that not only knows how to throw together some parts but is also a pretty good game dev so also knows what's needed for games

S0ULZB0URNE

I actually expect the pro to outperform the 4080 in pure rasterization on a decent amount of games (especially exclusives)
No way.
I would like to be wrong but GL if it reaches even 4070 levels of rasterization. It is more likely to end up in between a 4060 and a 4070 so a 4060ti in rasterization.

Doesn't the series x already cost them 200 bucks more to make than they sell it for, or at least it did on release?

So they've already tried this but don't have the technical nouse to pull it off. They need someone like cerny that not only knows how to throw together some parts but is also a pretty good game dev so also knows what's needed for games
Not to defend Xbox engineers, but making a console is hard. And it get's harder if for any reasons your superiors have others plans than just that. For me they got a really hard work in front of them. Xbox leadership wanted a console superior to Sony PS5. They wanted a console cheap like the Switch. They wanted that for 2020. They wanted no red ring of death, so no risk was possible at all on that front. On top of that, they wanted that console to be used for gamepass servers. Ask that to Cerny and he would say fuck off and leave IMHO. And worse of all they had to do that after the One X, so they probably had less time to work than Sony. For me, this is on Xbox leadership, not their team.

100% this. If the next Xbox does come out say late 2025, PS5/PS5 Pro will be sitting at a 90-100k install base and still be 100% the focus for 3rd party devs.
It'll truly be a case of next-gen starting when Sony says it does. Not to mention they still have the issue of choosing whether or not to continue supporting Series S, or
stop and piss people off.

NinjaBoiX

This "ps5 pro" could easily have been made 3 years ago, and everyone who bought a ps5 is effectively left with an inferior product that has barely been utilised to the fullest.
What?

Yes, I’m sure they could’ve specced the OG PS5 to the same level the Pro will end up being, but cost of materials is a thing?

They’re already making very little money on their hardware (or at least they were at launch), affordable consumer tech improves in line with a realistic build cost…

Rudius

See Kil, I'll never understand this, I mean, I played many games at 60fps on the Pro compared to the base 30fps versions that it was worth the price of admission for that alone.

GOW, Shadow of the colossus, Infamous second son and its DLC, TLOU, Nier automata, Nioh performance mode etc etc...
Another factor to consider is that now we have the option of 40fps and VRR modes, unlike in the PS4 gen. If a game can only run at 30fps on PS5 base it doesn't need to go all the way to 60 on PS5 Pro: a solid 40 or unlocked VRR around 50 will be a sufficient upgrade for the heavier late generation games.

Besides that, the 60fps modes, much more frequent this gen, can run more stable and look better on the PS5 Pro, just like happened to the 30fps games in the PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom