• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

midnightAI

Tough to pinpoint exact costs when you are ordering 50 million units, seriously doubt they would lose more than $200 US per console.
Not with these specs you're not...
heavily subsidize the hardware at $399 and make it a complete monster 40-50tf with 4gb storage

And as far as the more you sell, the more you "lose" this has been the way consoles have sold for many generations, as loss leaders. They lose money on hardware to make money on software.
And how do you do that with only GamePass and no PC day one?

Don't forget dual issue (that has being improved on RDNA3.5 BTW). I have read Kepler saying consoles should benefit from it much better than PC.
Sony have two options on that front - the first parties can either write their own assembly code to take advantage of it - or they can use AMD's default compiler - we should see some performance gains but it'll be no good if the GPU starts to choke on memory bandwidth (likely scenario given the alleged bandwidth of 576 GB/s)

Gudji

Where's the cleaning lady when needed.

disappointed disbelief GIF

killatopak

Gold Member
still don't understand why the gpu clock is only 2 Ghz which is slower than ps5 in the leak?
Might be thermals due to more CUs like the XSX or maybe it’s just like base PS5 which was rumored and leaked to initially clock lower and surprised everyone when official specs came out.

I don’t think leaks even if legit can be 1:1 on release since the PS4. Sony seems to surprise everyone one way or another.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
Not with these specs you're not...

And how do you do that with only GamePass and no PC day one?

Ok fine, a 1tb hard drive. This is 2026 we are talking about, 40tf isn't that expensive. Sony is going to be selling a 30tf machine next year likely for $599.

Why do you think all software sales stop with gamepass around? It doesn't now. Yes lack of pc game sales for 2 years might hurt a bit, but how much is that really?

midnightAI

Ok fine, a 1tb hard drive. This is 2026 we are talking about, 40tf isn't that expensive. Sony is going to be selling a 30tf machine next year likely for $599.
They are? is there confirmation of that? so its three times more powerful than the PS5 and they are selling it at $599? (I'd be shocked if its 30tf, closer to 18-20tf maybe if we are lucky)
To get 40tf its still relatively expensive, its roughly $500 for a graphics card alone that will do that.

Why do you think all software sales stop with gamepass around? It doesn't now. Yes lack of pc game sales for 2 years might hurt a bit, but how much is that really?
They pretty much do, GamePass seriousy impacts game sales, thats a known fact is it not? Many people keep harping on about 'potentially 300 million users when talking about PC, so it will hurt a lot if they have XBox GamePass only for the first two years of a games life.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Here is what MS needs to do to win the next gen.

- wait until 2026
- launch one skew only (This will help, but not enough to win anything)
- heavily subsidize the hardware at $399 and make it a complete monster 40-50tf with 4gb storage, include elite controller, 1yr gamepass free (This is throwing money away on a cale that would not make any sense)
- Stop releasing games on pc day and date, 2 year delay (They'll never stop releasing games on PC day/date)
- make all Activision, Bethesda, minecraft and all other ip's xbox console exclusive (Can't make CoD exclusive until at least 2033)
(Some Activision titles might be hard for few more years than that depending on contracts / what they ageed to, but eventually)

The combination of the above would sell 100 million units.
My takes.

Most of that would never come to pass, and even if they did, they would tank the Xbox more than hurt PlayStation, particularly if you think removing PlayStation from the CoD/Minecraft equation would help those franchises. That's hopes and dreams without careful considerations of the outcomes.

Last edited:
After being only moderately impressed with the PS4 Pro, Sony is going to need to give me a real good reason to buy this upgrade. Going from 1440p 60fps to 4k 60fps or adding in ray tracing is not good enough.

Bloodborne Remastered at 4k 120fps might tempt me. Not sure what else could do it so far.
The hope is actually it will extra m.2 slots

Sony is in a good position now, because their current gen market share is very good. They could even release an expensive thing without repercussions.
I’d honestly like the ps5 pro to be expensive to ensure they go for the best tech possible give us a $700 pro with Rdna 4, zen 5 on 3nm it’s not like it can’t drop in price overtime

In a way, they're competing with themselves. They need to persuade their base PS5 costumers that the upgrade is worthwile. How many of them they expect to convince? Only Sony knows.
They know what base ps5 users want so they have to make the pro hit that goal

As a recent starting pc player (console owner as well) I'm failing to see the pc flaws as opposed to consoles. I wish I would have got a pc sooner. I play from desk and couch the same way as on console. A wireless keyboard and mouse and a controller are all I need.

Now on topic, I will probably get a PS5 Pro because I can but I'm not really excited for it.

You are not getting zen 5, it's zen 2 +
The spec leaks haven’t been confirmed they have been getting debunked

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It’s Zen 2 and the next Xbox will be Zen 5 and while the PS5 Pro will be a modest upgrade the next Xbox is supposed to be really packing a punch
It can't be packing

Zen 5 and RDNA 4 Would be too expensive if they play to release it 2025,
if they want really a big jump it's not going to be possible even at 599
if they release it later it will be outdated and outperformed by the PS6

Depends on the user. Some people may not want to build a PC (prebuilt is obviously an option), deal with drivers/instability issues, any sort of troubleshooting and/or simply boot up another PC that reminds you of your work PC.

I have a high end PC and a PS5 and see the pros and cons of both.
Or you just may like physical media. Maybe you got a collection of ps4 and ps5 games that would seamlessly transfer to the pro

Gambit2483

Unified modes, possibly path tracing, maybe offer higher than 120hz support like 144hz if not 240hz etc
Nah, to the average Joe none of that means anything. Companies always use condensed, easy to understand "buzz words"....e.g.

16bits
Blast Processing
32bits
64bits
HD
60FPS
Ray-traycing

The industry will always need bs Buzz words to sell to the layman.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What happens if the PS6 overtakes Next Box at launch?
PS6 will overtake it without a doubt just get that feeling the powers that be at Xbox want about 2 years of being able to have the clear cut top dog in power and not go head to head in sales vs PS

It can't be packing

Zen 5 and RDNA 4 Would be too expensive if they play to release it 2025,
if they want really a big jump it's not going to be possible even at 599
if they release it later it will be outdated and outperformed by the PS6
No clue on what they plan on pricing it at, could very well be a two pronged approach again and have a lower priced mass consumer spec and this other one thats being floated around

My take: XBox in 2025, PS6 in 2027
I think you could be right or at least very close

Nah, to the average Joe none of that means anything. Companies always use condensed, easy to understand "buzz words"....e.g.

16bits
Blast Processing
32bits
64bits
HD
60FPS
Ray-traycing

The industry will always need bs Buzz words to sell to the layman.
They could offer 8k support in simple to run games like indies, platformers, certain fighting games, and rpgs I know for example persona 5 could do 8k on the pro (already supports on pc) same with games like dragonballfighterz, crash games, the 2d sonic games etc. i think also mentioning you support up to 240hz double what the ps5 does would also be something

I don't see Sony waiting a full 2 years to launch their next gen console, really.

There's already rumors swirling about Sony getting a little more invested with Square-Enix(or at least Final Fantasy), I would assume in response to the Microsoft ABK buyout.

They'd respond in turn, most likely within a year.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 Why does Microsoft want to kickstart next-gen THAT early?

Feels like they're writing this generation off as a failure, which is weird because the system seems to sell fine in most areas(excluding UK).

PS6 will overtake it without a doubt just get that feeling the powers that be at Xbox want about 2 years of being able to have the clear cut top dog in power and not go head to head in sales vs PS

They better not hope its a repeat of the Series or worse. Those 2 years could mean nothing in the end.

hinch7

Sounds about right. Microsoft and Xbox skip refresh and try gain momentum with a significantly more powerful system in time for GTA VI's first year. PS4 Pro was on the market for 3 years before PS5 launch. I'd imagine they'll try do the same here with PS5 Pro > PS6.
I don't see Sony waiting a full 2 years to launch their next gen console, really.

There's already rumors swirling about Sony getting a little more invested with Square-Enix(or at least Final Fantasy), I would assume in response to the Microsoft ABK buyout.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 Why does Microsoft want to kickstart next-gen THAT early?

Feels like they're writing this generation off as a failure, which is weird because the system seems to sell fine in most areas(excluding UK).
Its not like they have to compete on specs. Globally PlayStation is a way bigger brand than Xbox and they'll have no problems selling PS5's. Even with the next gen Xbox on the market. Difference being Microsoft HAS to do more to gain momentum. Whether its to offer more, and faster hardware upgrades and/or more games on their subscription services and games in general.

Last edited:

damidu

they will not release next xbox in 2025, geez. get out of forum warrior mentality. even phil isnt that big of a moron.
it would be the biggest FU to their already collapsing userbase, good luck convincing people to invest in your 4 year gen cycles, where most of your first party studios would be skipping generations.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I don't know its set in stone by any means just seems to have been a very popular idea at the round table, I do not know at this time the direction they are 100% taking

All that said I am still placing a lot of $$$ on Xbox jumpstarting next gen 2+ years before PS6 bingo number

they will not release next xbox in 2025, geez. get out of forum warrior mentality. even phil isnt that big of a moron.
it would be the biggest FU to their already collapsing userbase, good luck convincing people to invest in your 4 year gen cycles, where most of your first party studios would be skipping generations.
I am ONE of the least forum warriors you will find here

But its comments like these why I hate relaying stuff I hear here

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Here is what MS needs to do to win the next gen.

- wait until 2026
- launch one skew only
- heavily subsidize the hardware at $399 and make it a complete monster 40-50tf with 4gb storage, include elite controller, 1yr gamepass free
- Stop releasing games on pc day and date, 2 year delay
- make all Activision, Bethesda, minecraft and all other ip's xbox console exclusive
(Some Activision titles might be hard for few more years than that depending on contracts / what they ageed to, but eventually)

The combination of the above would sell 100 million units.
50TF and 4tb of storage and you think they could subsidize it for $400

rick james cocaine GIF

-Zelda-

Banned
Fool me once, shame on me. You aren't roping me in again, Sony. The PS4 Pro was not worth it, Imo, so I will not be getting a PS5 Pro.

Reactions: Isa

Xtib81

I'd be very surprised to see MS start a new generation in 2025, that's very early and I'm not sure the gains over current gen would be substantial.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

They could offer 8k support in simple to run games like indies, platformers, certain fighting games, and rpgs I know for example persona 5 could do 8k on the pro (already supports on pc) same with games like dragonballfighterz, crash games, the 2d sonic games etc. i think also mentioning you support up to 240hz double what the ps5 does would also be something
8k, if TVs actually support it, sure...but the average layman has no idea what a "hz" is...you're giving them way too much credit 😅

Bernoulli

M2 slut

No clue on what they plan on pricing it at, could very well be a two pronged approach again and have a lower priced mass consumer spec and this other one thats being floated around
lower priced one needs to be at least more powerful than the X, but then again they can't just sell everything at a big loss

ABnormal

I wouldn't see Sony waiting so much after nextbox launch: no more than a year, imho. And I think that even developers wouldn't want mixed gens where they are forced to stay cross-gen just because one of the manufacturers screved the timing. Everybody but MS would want parallel gens.

That will never happen. A refresh every 3ish years? That's a possibility. But every year? Nope.

The console business is just wired that way. Eg... as it stands, you could take the current 6nm PS5 APU, clock both the CPU and GPU higher, and maybe end up with an 11/12TF GPU. And maintain the same chassis size as the OG console and cooling hardware. But they don't do that, they would sooner shrink the console, keep specs the same, and reduce its price.

And that's the difference between phones/GPUs/CPUs and consoles. Those other products are trying to take the same or more money from you each year. So the only way they can justify doing that is by giving you some sort of upgrade.

This kinda talk is becoming very very very annoying now....

I am going to stop myself from saying anything anymore or addressing such commenters, or else I get banned.

So indulge me, pls.... why is a PS5pro, that could cost $100/$200 more than the OG, while having 2x the GPu power, 30-50% more CPU power, 30-40% faster memory bandwidth, that is COMPLETELY an optional purchase. Be outta touch?'

Why do the rules that don't apply to every GPU/CPU ever made every single year, or every single new smartphone released every single year somehow... apply to Sony and the PS5?

How does a PS5pro existing, affect you or anyone in any way whatsoever?

This just baffles me.

I am not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but at this point, the only way this kinda nonsense makes sense is to believe that MS is paying people to spread this kinda FUD. As senseless as that may sound, that's the only thing that makes sense right now.
Now here’s where me and you agree a lot all the comments condemning a pro are very strange. It’s optional and also with the pro when the ps6 comes along all it’s backwards compatibility will be automatically a lot better because of the improvements on pro

I mean...can we even call that next gen in 2025? 5 year gens make no sense nowadays. By 2025 most of their announced games for Xbox Series S and X will start releasing. Starting a new gen by 2025 means all those games will have to work on a crappy Series S...sounds like a mess. But i'm here for whatever happens.
It will be a mess. They won't be able to move on from Series S, as that's the majority of their sales for this gen. It also means Sony has two years to adjust things to be much more powerful than them. Or even staying with their current plan could lead to that.

NeXbox will be Zen 5, PS6 will be Zen 6. NeXbox will be RDNA 4, PS6 will be RDNA5. NeXbox may use GDDR7, but may stick with GDDR6 for cost reduction, PS6 will use GDDR7 or 8. There will also be advancements in SSDs in the 2 years between the two.

MS is about to Dreamcast the Xbox brand if this is true, because most people will just wait for the vastly superior PS6, getting a PS5 Pro over a NeXbox to tide them over.

What's also funny is the new 10 year COD deal won't even be up in 2025, so they can't even brag about that as an exclusive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom