• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

StereoVsn

R.24c135d252706b7ec17623d19cfdcbc9
rSWQszx.gif

Rudius

In a way, they're competing with themselves. They need to persuade their base PS5 costumers that the upgrade is worthwile. How many of them they expect to convince? Only Sony knows.
They don't care if you don't upgrade to a Pro and keep spending on PS5 software. They don't make (much) money selling consoles, but selling games, DLCs and subscriptions, the console is just a means to that end.

The Pro will exist as a way to keep the people that care about performance buying games on the PS5 ecosystem, instead of migrating to PC.

No way.
I would like to be wrong but GL if it reaches even 4070 levels of rasterization. It is more likely to end up in between a 4060 and a 4070 so a 4060ti in rasterization.
You’re massively exaggerating how good the 4060 and 4070 are in pure rasterazatioj especially with its vram limitations. The 4080 isn’t that special in pure rasterization it’s its feature set like dlss and of course raytracing is where it really shines and where it will still beat the pro. You really don’t expect exclusives to like last of us or horizon to not run better than that card on here?

They don't care if you don't upgrade to a Pro and keep spending on PS5 software. They don't make (much) money selling consoles, but selling games, DLCs and subscriptions, the console is just a means to that end.

The Pro will exist as a way to keep the people that care about performance buying games on the PS5 ecosystem, instead of migrating to PC.
Well that is as long as they make the pro good enough so hopefully they do

S0ULZB0URNE

You’re massively exaggerating how good the 4060 and 4070 are in pure rasterazatioj especially with its vram limitations. The 4080 isn’t that special in pure rasterization it’s its feature set like dlss and of course raytracing is where it really shines and where it will still beat the pro. You really don’t expect exclusives to like last of us or horizon to not run better than that card on here?
"Rasterization"
4070 is 29TF's
Best case scenario as I stated already is 4070ish.
As in slightly below it.
Again I hope I'm wrong and it's better.

As far as ram... the latest is saying Pro is only 16.

(3 years ago I was told 20)

Last edited:
"Rasterization"
4070 is 29TF's
Best case scenario as I stated already is 4070ish.
As in slightly below it.
Again I hope I'm wrong and it's better.

As far as ram... the latest is saying Pro is only 16.

(3 years ago I was told 20)
So you are aware I wasn’t talking about raw hardware specs but performance in actual games right? The pro isn’t going to have the exact hardware grunt of the 4080 yes that doesn’t mean it won’t outperform it in this category on a large amount of games because of you know pc versions being heavier and running os etc, optimization, low level apis etc also the pro is going to have a somewhat newer feature set that may alleviate some of its tasks the 4080 won’t have access to. Based on how last of us for example runs worse on a 4080 than a ps5 is it really that unrealistic for the pro to outperform the 4080 there same with ratchet in pure raster

S0ULZB0URNE

So you are aware I wasn’t talking about raw hardware specs but performance in actual games right? The pro isn’t going to have the exact hardware grunt of the 4080 yes that doesn’t mean it won’t outperform it in this category on a large amount of games because of you know pc versions being heavier and running os etc, optimization, low level apis etc also the pro is going to have a somewhat newer feature set that may alleviate some of its tasks the 4080 won’t have access to. Based on how last of us for example runs worse on a 4080 than a ps5 is it really that unrealistic for the pro to outperform the 4080 there same with ratchet in pure raster
You said Rasterization.
Get back to me when you understand what this means.

THE DUCK

Banned
Doesn't the series x already cost them 200 bucks more to make than they sell it for, or at least it did on release?

So they've already tried this but don't have the technical nouse to pull it off. They need someone like cerny that not only knows how to throw together some parts but is also a pretty good game dev so also knows what's needed for games

Maybe first batches, but "up to" is a vague term. If Sony is break even now ps5, series x can't be far behind.

Ms can hire some of the best engineers in the world, it's a bit weird to say somehow Sony has the market cornered on hardware efficiency. Ps5 was a clever design, but let's not forget prior machines where no miracle.

That was an epic thread

I enjoyed talking to so many people in PMs almost as much as the thread itself

The dude with the fucking pigeon morse code, I still shake my head

Coo-coo-coo-coo = 13 teraflops confirmed!

Tommy Fisher = TF = PS5 is 13 teraflops CONFIRMED

Then Tommy went on to get banned for leaking the PS5 controller which was actually just the DS4.

Man those were the days! 😂

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
That was really fun and that's how we started chatting right?
That was the place, when I really first starting chatting here :)

Coo-coo-coo-coo = 13 teraflops confirmed!

Tommy Fisher = TF = PS5 is 13 teraflops CONFIRMED

Then Tommy went on to get banned for leaking the PS5 controller which was actually just the DS4.

Man those were the days! 😂
That "fat" controller was so funny and laying on that Sony Vaio laptop then Cerny gave the road to PS5 talk and what was he using?

OshAVKS.jpg

Rudius

Hoping this haas some way of auto upscaling / improving frame rate without developer help. This is what would sell me on the system instead of asking developers to go back to older titles and spend time and resources which most won't do or are no longer around.

We need a way to future proof these games similar to emulation with upscaling and frame boosting.
Many games employ dynamic resolutions and give the option of unlocked framerates. They will automatically benefit from more power.

Rudius

You have this situation where a lot of people who bought the OG PS5 go in for the upgrade and put their older console on the used market. That used console sale is still a new consumer that is now in Sony's ecosystem. Oh, and there is the PR bonus too.
This is an interesting point. Unlike with used games, it is to Sony's benefit if people sell their used PS5s to get new Pros. The money for them is in software, not hardware.

Some of those will even be given for free to brothers, cousins etc. that would never have bought a PS5, but after being handed one will end up spending on games and subscriptions. I gave my PS4 Pro to a cousin when I bought a PS5; he acquired some games since then and still uses it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You're one of the kindest, nicest users here. Along with my pal CrustyBritches CrustyBritches :messenger_fistbump:
I appreciate the kind words, have always enjoyed chatting with you as well my friend

I think the 13 Tf comes from the fact that some leaker saw PS5 performing better than XSX in one UE5 game (or demo?) and so thought PS5 was above 12tf. But maybe I am missing and or mixing things here.
Andrea Pessino had told a couple of people here who he knew the PS5 devkit was minimum 13TF and up to 15TF

A couple shared the chat with me they had with him since he claimed they had a devkit "under lock and key"

Rudius

Btw a couple of Tweets from Kepler who also got on the "plans changed" train along with my "predictions" in Aug
3xIGlnD.png
If they release a next gen Xbox two years before the PS6 it will bring them almost no benefit. The first 2 years of the current generation were almost all cross gen games, the biggest exceptions being a few PS5 exclusives. This is not 2005 when games took 1 or 2 years to make, it's tripple that now.

An early Xbox would probably get zero third party next gen exclusives and it might even help the PS6 to have a better start, since by it's release developers will be closer to abandoning the previous gen.

And my other idea is just put full windows 11 on the series x !!!!! A full on productivity and small form factor gaming PC would fly off the shelves. You could even increase the price for the windows 11 version to offset the loss.
Now this would be very interesting and it might work. A console that is also a powerful PC would sell a ton, especially outside of places where PCs like that are cheaper. But it should not be just windows 11, but a new windows 12 with the next gen console for extra impact.

S0ULZB0URNE

Those nvidia TF numbers though are not comparable to the AMD ones from the consoles.
The nvidia numbers are not 64 I made a error but 76.

The actual TF's are 48 and change. Pro isn't matching or exceeding it in rasterization performance regardless.

ChiefDada

No way.
I would like to be wrong but GL if it reaches even 4070 levels of rasterization. It is more likely to end up in between a 4060 and a 4070 so a 4060ti in rasterization.

PS5 already competes with 4070 in many games, particularly Sony 1st party. Per DF, TLOU Pt. 1 runs locked native 1440p 70-80fps/High Settings. It's a good game to test because there is no DRS and PS5 can run uncapped. I found 4070 playthrough at 4K DLSS balanced (~1296p internal resolution) with High settings running in the 70s typically.

S0ULZB0URNE

PS5 already competes with 4070 in many games, particularly Sony 1st party. Per DF, TLOU Pt. 1 runs locked native 1440p 70-80fps/High Settings. It's a good game to test because there is no DRS and PS5 can run uncapped. I found 4070 playthrough at 4K DLSS balanced (~1296p internal resolution) with High settings running in the 70s typically.

If you are joining in this convo.
I suggest you read all the posts from the beginning.
From your post It's obvious you haven't.

ChiefDada

If you are joining in this convo.
I suggest you read all the posts from the beginning.
From your post It's obvious you haven't.

Lol why would I need to waste time doing this when there's no problem rebutting your comment as is? TLOU Pt. 1 is a pure raster based game. You said PS5 Pro would "likely" fall between 4060 and 4070 in raster performance. This example suggests otherwise.

S0ULZB0URNE

Lol why would I need to waste time doing this when there's no problem rebutting your comment as is? TLOU Pt. 1 is a pure raster based game. You said PS5 Pro would "likely" fall between 4060 and 4070 in raster performance. This example suggests otherwise.
RASTERIZATION PERFORMANCE

angrod14

Well, I hope you're right regarding performance, because people here are speculating the CPU will be barely improved and thus no chance of getting 60 fps in games that will be 30 on the base system (GTA VI for example). PS4 Pro was like that and it sucked ass.

I wonder how significant the DLSS gains will be if it's competitive or better to what nvidia has?

Are we talking about a 30% efficiency gain with minimal tradeoffs?

These people heavily exaggerate the raw Easter performance of these cards it’s they really think the ps5 pro won’t beat a 4060 in exclusive titles when it comes to raster?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

It doesn't. For one, you're not even doing a side-by-side so it's utterly pointless. The PS5 could be running at 61fps in this area for all we know. For two, this video is from 7 months ago when the game was still severely unoptimized on PC. Notice something in this screengrab I made?

h3u2QLk.png

Look at the GPU usage, a paltry 83% while the CPU, a 5600X, is at 90%. The game is CPU-limited and had severe threading issues that weren't fixed until months after.

Yn6HA8w.png

A whopping 35% improvement in a CPU-bound scene. The usage went from 96% all the way down to 60% on a 5600X. The best data point we got where shots are lined up is the DF video where Alex compared the PS5 to a 2070S running High settings.

iqSKhW5.png

Here, the PS5 is outperforming the 2070S by 35% once it settles down. During the explosion, there is a massive fps spike on PC that causes the performance to tank and at that moment, the difference is 47% in favor of the PS5 but it only briefly happens. This would put the PS5's performance in line with a 2080 Ti/3070, nowhere near a 3080, let alone a 4080. Even using the 47% figure, you'd end up on the level of an RX 6800, again, short of a 3080.

So no, there aren't many games where the PS5 matches a 3080, in fact, there isn't a single one, which is expected since the 3080 is something like 60-80% faster in rasterization.

And I say 3080 because the 4070 and it are very close, similarly to the 3070 and 2080 Ti.
Based on how last of us for example runs worse on a 4080 than a ps5 is it really that unrealistic for the pro to outperform the 4080 there same with ratchet in pure raster
No, the 4080 isn't on par with the PS5 on TLOU. This is moronic to even suggest.

Last thing, I wouldn't even use TLOU as an example because even among Sony ports, it's an outlier for how abysmal it was (and still is lacking, even today). None of their other games exhibit anything close to that.

Also, the 4060 at times barely performs better than the 3060 which is a tad slower than the regular PS5 in general, so of course, the PS5 Pro will mop the floor with a 4060. I'm expecting it to land somewhere around a 7800 XT in rasterization. Jury is still out with RT because I haven't got the faintest idea of how these improvements will translate to the real world.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

It doesn't. For one, you're not even doing a side-by-side so it's utterly pointless. The PS5 could be running at 61fps in this area for all we know. For two, this video is from 7 months ago when the game was still severely unoptimized on PC. Notice something in this screengrab I made?

h3u2QLk.png

Look at the GPU usage, a paltry 83% while the CPU, a 5600X, is at 90%. The game is CPU-limited and had severe threading issues that weren't fixed until months after.

Yn6HA8w.png

A whopping 35% improvement in a CPU-bound scene. The usage went from 96% all the way down to 60% on a 5600X. The best data point we got where shots are lined up is the DF video where Alex compared the PS5 to a 2070S running High settings.

iqSKhW5.png

Here, the PS5 is outperforming the 2070S by 35% once it settles down. During the explosion, there is a massive fps spike on PC that causes the performance to tank and at that moment, the difference is 47% in favor of the PS5 but it only briefly happens. This would put the PS5's performance in line with a 2080 Ti/3070, nowhere near a 3080, let alone a 4080. Even using the 47% figure, you'd end up on the level of an RX 6800, again, short of a 3080.

So no, there aren't many games where the PS5 matches a 3080, in fact, there isn't a single one, which is expected since the 3080 is something like 60-80% faster in rasterization.

And I say 3080 because the 4070 and it are very close, similarly to the 3070 and 2080 Ti.

No, the 4080 isn't on par with the PS5 on TLOU. This is moronic to even suggest.

Whenever we get in these comparisons, you always point to comparison imperfections that is outside of anyone's control. By the time these PC patches get released, everyone has moved on from the game. I pull from wherever I can. You act as if I'm cherry-picking when in reality I'm not. This is one of the very few current gen/raster only title with uncapped performance mode so I chose. And per DF last video on this, PC port improved but there are still significant CPU bottlenecks due to how ND engine is crafted. That is a plus for the PS5 hardware decompression; it doesn't make the comparison unfair any more than DLSS allows for better image quality for cheaper cost on Nvidia cards.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Whenever we get in these comparisons, you always point to comparison imperfections that is outside of anyone's control. By the time these PC patches get released, everyone has moved on from the game. I pull from wherever I can. You act as if I'm cherry-picking when in reality I'm not. This is one of the very few current gen/raster only title with uncapped performance mode so I chose. And per DF last video on this, PC port improved but there are still significant CPU bottlenecks due to how ND engine is crafted. That is a plus for the PS5 hardware decompression; it doesn't make the comparison unfair any more than DLSS allows for better image quality for cheaper cost on Nvidia cards.
I'm not acting as if you're cherry-picking, I'm simply showing that you're using outdated data and I'm not blaming you since you might not have been aware of this.

The comparison you used wasn't "unfair", it was just outdated. You want to compare GPU performance, therefore you have to remove the CPU bottleneck as much as possible and when we see a 4070 hitting 80% usage on a CPU that hits 90% usage, we know the GPU is being held back. Per more recent metrics, the PS5 is ahead of the 2070S by 30-48%, which puts it somewhere around a 2080 Ti/6750 XT to a 6800 but typically closer to the former.

Not sure the CPU issues have anything to do with the way the engine is crafted or that ND were unfamiliar with PC development, perhaps both. Bottom line is, I don't think using a CPU-limited scenario of TLOU Part I as an indication of what the PS5 Pro will be capable of, even in optimized games. Unless of course, you expect more messes like TLOU Part I day 1 on PC.

I'd be really surprised if the PS5 Pro matches the 4080 in any game. 4070? Sure. 4070 Ti? Perhaps in select cases. 4080 is very likely out of reach unless we get a big surprise.

h3u2QLk.png

Yn6HA8w.png

iqSKhW5.png

Last thing, I wouldn't even use TLOU as an example because even among Sony ports, it's an outlier for how abysmal it was (and still is lacking, even today). None of their other games exhibit anything close to that.

Also, the 4060 at times barely performs better than the 3060 which is a tad slower than the regular PS5 in general, so of course, the PS5 Pro will mop the floor with a 4060. I'm expecting it to land somewhere around a 7800 XT in rasterization. Jury is still out with RT because I haven't got the faintest idea of how these improvements will translate to the real world.
The ps5 matches the 3080 in rift apart though tbf it’s the only game I’ve seen usually 3070 is best case. I also never said the ps5 performed like a 4080 literally where did I say that I said there are several games like last of us, rift apart some Ubisoft games where it already clearly outperforms the 4060 and matches a 4070 so why would a pro matching or dare I say edging the 4080 be some crazy idea. This isn’t for every game for reference

I'm not acting as if you're cherry-picking, I'm simply showing that you're using outdated data and I'm not blaming you since you might not have been aware of this.

The comparison you used wasn't "unfair", it was just outdated. You want to compare GPU performance, therefore you have to remove the CPU bottleneck as much as possible and when we see a 4070 hitting 80% usage on a CPU that hits 90% usage, we know the GPU is being held back. Per more recent metrics, the PS5 is ahead of the 2070S by 30-48%, which puts it somewhere around a 2080 Ti/6750 XT to a 6800 but typically closer to the former.

Not sure the CPU issues have anything to do with the way the engine is crafted or that ND were unfamiliar with PC development, perhaps both. Bottom line is, I don't think using a CPU-limited scenario of TLOU Part I as an indication of what the PS5 Pro will be capable of, even in optimized games. Unless of course, you expect more messes like TLOU Part I day 1 on PC.

I'd be really surprised if the PS5 Pro matches the 4080 in any game. 4070? Sure. 4070 Ti? Perhaps in select cases. 4080 is very likely out of reach unless we get a big surprise.
They constructed the cpu cost that way to help it run smoother on pc it’s not the cpu in that benchmark isn’t far better than the one in the ps5 anyway when doing this benchmark. So no if anything the results would be worse here if they used a ps5 equivalent cpu. Tbf I don’t like using last of us cause of the pc port was straight up bad so I use rift apart which is decent on pc the ps5 is only %10 slower there.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
This would put the PS5's performance in line with a 2080 Ti/3070, nowhere near a 3080, let alone a 4080.

I think the relative GPU power comparable of the PS5 is even less than a 2080TI at is gives very similar native 4k performance to the 2070S benchmarks when you look around the web. The 2080TI benchmarks always had it most of the time over 60 fps at 4k , at least in 2020 . Since we know the PS5 can do at least 40 fps (mode) at 4K but can't do 60 at this resolution it probably hovers in the 45 fps range tops . PS5 Pro if increase a 2x fold , it will be comparable to a 4070 Super (tbd) I suppose

Top Bottom