• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

tenor.gif
Pretty sure one of them once say, they wish Xbox never existed

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This is not "next gen" but its better than "current gen" , so that makes it what? mid gen?

Is "mid gen" generally held back by "current gen" or that's ok?
I swear some of yall are making this waaaaay too complicated.

Why pretend to be obtuse like we didn't have this last gen?

But now it's only rumored to be Sony and not MS and all the goofy gamer's amnesia and weird takes come out?
Sometimes I wonder is it real ppl or bots.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The "ps5 pro doesn't exist" crowd are in shambles.

I kind of want to buy one, but... I dunno.. I own a bunch of their PS5 offerings on PC, so, there is that. But... being able to play PS4 games on it with some extra/positive results is enticing.

Fuck, I typed PS6 by mistake.. hopefully no one saw that...

Last edited:

midnightAI

This is not "next gen" but its better than "current gen" , so that makes it what? mid gen?

Is "mid gen" generally held back by "current gen" or that's ok?
Totally ok, it's mid gen, people know what to expect and the base console would still be the target (and where most sales would be as the release of a mid gen console could also mean a cheaper base console) with enhancements for the mid gen console.

What would be totally fucked up would be if someone decided to do that at the beginning of the generation...

twilo99

Totally ok, it's mid gen, people know what to expect and the base console would still be the target (and where most sales would be as the release of a mid gen console could also mean a cheaper base console) with enhancements for the mid gen console.

What would be totally fucked up would be if someone decided to do that at the beginning of the generation...

So is the base console holding back the mid gen if that is still the target?

omegasc

Some patents about DLSS like by cerny

Sony is generally good with AI Machine learning in their Alpha Cameras and TVs
PS4 Pro's checkerboarding capability was ok as well, back then. This is why I am looking forward to the PS5 Pro - to see what new tricks come out of it.

tommib

Gold Member
PS4 Pro's checkerboarding capability was ok as well, back then. This is why I am looking forward to the PS5 Pro - to see what new tricks come out of it.
PS4’s Pro checkerboarding and whatever they implemented in Returnal was a thousand times better than what’s going on in Alan Wake 2 or Star Wars: Jedi Survivor. Image quality has been degraded heavily.

twilo99

I think people will be "surprised" when they hear the actual specs but will need to wait and see its real world performance before passing judgement

But people wont wait and that thread of the actual specs will be, fun

Well but real world performance is always highly dependent on skilled developers and optimization, so really, since we don’t have any standardized bench/testing for these consoles, it’s impossible to really know what’s going on and what “secret sausage” really means.

Zen2 CPU is a Zen2 CPU tho?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well but real world performance is always highly dependent on skilled developers and optimization, so really, since we don’t have any standardized bench/testing for these consoles, it’s impossible to really know what’s going on and what “secret sausage” really means.

Zen2 CPU is a Zen2 CPU tho?
Yeah the CPU being the rumored Zen2 will disappoint some but the trusted whispers saying 4070 level real world performance which I will take in a console for now

If it can play gta6 60fps then I’m buying day1
Might be a big ask

midnightAI

So is the base console holding back the mid gen if that is still the target?
If, do you mean, it will hold it back because games will not be made to target the Pro fully (in such a way that the game could be made for the base console), then yes, the base console does hold it back to a degree, but that's not the point of 'mid gen' consoles. Most people buying mid gen consoles already have the base console and want extra performance, whether thats 60fps over 30fps, or higher resolutions. This is because they are ready for that extra power after having owned the base console for a few years. Its understood (mostly) that the Pro version of these console will never fully be utilised (at least have features that could never run on the base console, well, unless those can be cut without affecting the base game, you could not have a physics based game when the physics don't run on the base console for example)

This is mid gen, not a new gen.

Last edited:

omegasc

At best it will run at native 4K/30 fps. Keep your dreams in check.
which hopefully will allow for 1440p(ish?)/60
also, I am looking forward to getting improvements for PS VR2 games. GT7, mainly. Get it closer to 90/120 fps and increased IQ, that would be sweet.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
PS4’s Pro checkerboarding and whatever they implemented in Returnal was a thousand times better than what’s going on in Alan Wake 2 or Star Wars: Jedi Survivor. Image quality has been degraded heavily.
It wasn't. PS4 Pro was just operating with a much higher internal resolution. It was typically 1920x2160 checkerboarded to 4K. That will tend to be quite a bit better than 800p or 1200p upscaled to 1440p or 4K.

I just find it odd that the internal resolution has taken such a massive hit, frequently dropping lower than 1080p which was the most typical resolution for the regular PS4. Sure, games are visually much more complex than before but the PS5 is also 10x more powerful than the PS4, so you'd think they would be able to maintain the resolution all the while significantly increasing the visual fidelity.

I think it might be the first generation where image quality has actually taken a step back in certain cases. Although I guess it's not really fair to compare the PS4 Pro to the PS5 and we should compare the PS4 to the PS5 instead. The PS5 Pro will probably never fall to sub-HD resolutions.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I expect a 100% repeat of "lul 9 TFs". It's going to be fun for a few months here after the reveal.
And the same style turfing campaign they tried pulling from the gen prior. MS will announce their "next gen" system, but totally not a "mid-gen refresh," even though "the truth is, they abandoned generations at the beginning of this gen" over a year out and do "highest quality AI™ pixels" montages.

Last edited:

Calverz

And the same style turfing campaign they tried pulling from the gen prior. MS will announce their "next gen" system, but totally not a "mid-gen refresh," even though "the truth is, they abandoned generations at the beginning of this gen" over a year out and do "highest quality AI™ pixels" montages.
Talk about concern…..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't forget the tagline "Best place to play GTA6" on non official channels

I believe that will be huge "marching orders" and honestly a big reason for their 2025/26 push for a rather strong console

MikeM

I think people will be "surprised" when they hear the actual specs but will need to wait and see its real world performance before passing judgement

I’m day 1 so long as the leap is decent. I’m actually thinking about holding off on Elden Ring until I get a Pro in my hands. Game does not hold 60fps in the PS5 version.

tommib

Gold Member
My TV has VRR and I can see the readouts. Its no where near a locked 60fps and I can feel it while gaming.
Strange. I remember testing Elden Ring when I got my A90J and it was/is very smooth. Super different from non-VRR. You’re using performance mode right? The game is supposed to not drop below 50 fps.

shamoomoo

You mean that in a good way? Spill the beans good Sir.🤔🤔🤔

Top Bottom