• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Lol Jesus Christ get up to speed! It's no wonder you've been talking this way. So where are you getting your PS5 Pro performance prediction from if you don't believe Kepler or Tom Henderson reports? Or do you just automatically assume it will be less performant since it's a console and "PC always da best"? Lol.
Precedents and currently available hardware. We simply extrapolate from there. Not going to listen to a bunch of leakers talk out of their asses. We've been down this road before. None of them has real and reliable inside info. Those specs at least seem believable so we can use them as a baseline.
60CU 7800xt saw it's IC halved vs 6800 (60CU) prior gen counterpart. The architectural benefits AMD assumed would achieve with RDNA 3 by going chiplet didn't pan out and PS5 Pro will expose this. PS5 Pro monolithic so it will be more power efficient.
It had better be more power efficient since it's a more mature technology.

As for the bolded, this has been AMD's story for over a decade so eh. I recall all the hype before AMD moved to chiplet designs. NVIDIA is doomed! The NVIDIA killer is coming! Turns out they're still as mediocre as ever.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Both of which are terrible indicators of future tech capabilities. But I'm done for tonight. We'll get our answers soon enough.
No, they're actually excellent indicators if you follow trends and how technology scales and evolves.

We'll get our answers like a month before release when the real specs are out and those "leakers" will scramble trying to justify the bollocks they've been feeding us for years.

Cheers.

And for the record, I do plan to get the PS5 Pro day 1. It's the only reason I didn't buy a regular PS5 but I won't be swept up by the hype wave only to end up disappointed. I do hope we get something much more substantial than the 50-60% performance uplift in rasterization that this rumor suggests. That's simply not that great.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

100 dollars they announce this capable of 8k
It’s a selling point

Having said that, I think they should’ve just marketed this entire generation as 1440 P ultra but I get why they don’t

Really interested in their upscaling solution and if it is the true secret sauce or this is just a test bed for NexGen.

I also wonder why they’re going with their own in-house solution instead of using AMD’s, which is probably far more advanced currently than Sony. It also concerns me, that you would need special tools to adopt the games to support their solution, which might hammer some developers.

I just wish they had a hardware of scaler built-in, and not just a software solution
They already market the standard PS5 as being capable of 8K, it's right on the box. They just haven't enabled it for anything AFAIK (and the only thing it reasonably could do at 8K is video streaming).
That's because of the HDMI 2.1 port.

Baki

Assuming those specs are remotely true but between you and I, what are the odds that they are? Who has the final specs sheets a year before the thing is even out? If Sony comes out and say AMD has found a way to cram 96 CUs clocked at 5.5GHz with HBM3 and 1.5TB/s of bandwidth at 120W, then obviously my prediction will be completely wrong.

PS: Those specs are 99% likely to be bullshit anyway.

Consoles don't need to match paper specs of PC due to inherent efficiencies of being a closed box and being the lead development machine. For PC, there are 100s of specs, so raw performance relies on brute force.

Why everonye here keeps saying things are not possible is beyond me. We are all guessing. WE HAVE ZERO idea what Sony's Special DLSS alternative is . We Have no idea how it's going to benefit the GPU from a Desktop GPU. We're all playing the PC vs console spec game but we already know the PS5 GPU can punch way above its weight when tools and coding are designed for it. They can get way more leverage from their GPU's than a desktop PC can.

I'll wait and see what they announce. Why is everyone doubting what Sony can do? They have proven time and time again they are capable of wizardry!

And even if Sony DLSS is inferior to Nvidia, unlike Nvidia, they can actually get devs to support it, due to their position of being the biggest market for 3P developers. Market position, 2-specs, lower level access, means the PS5 Pro will punch way above its weight. Remains to be seen what that is. Don't let paper specs fool you. Gaming benchmarks will be everything and ultimately the only thing that matters. You don't play specs, you play games.

Its more about marketing and perception than anything else. I mean, MS obviously has no issue with PC versions of its games looking and performing better, but that's because its not running on a box with their branding on it.

You will never hear Phil Spencer or any other MS' exec saying that streaming is inferior to playing on actual hardware. They can't or their whole business plan is shot. By supplying an Xbox branded console that performs better than GP/XCloud that's what they would be demonstrating implicitly.

A high-end console is not going to reverse their fortunes versus Sony and Nintendo. However continued growth of streaming makes the "console war" irrelevant, so at this point they'll need to commit ever harder to that side of their business.

People opting for a cloud version of a game are not likely to be enthusiasts obsessed with IQ, otherwise they would just buy a console. You're opting for streaming because you're cost conscious or don't have access to the console at that immediate time. Streaming is for the people that wait till the end of the gen to pay $99 for the PS2.

ABnormal

They already market the standard PS5 as being capable of 8K, it's right on the box. They just haven't enabled it for anything AFAIK (and the only thing it reasonably could do at 8K is video streaming).
There is that simple game which is even 8k native on ps5, The Tourist.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
I appreciate the kind words, have always enjoyed chatting with you as well my friend

Andrea Pessino had told a couple of people here who he knew the PS5 devkit was minimum 13TF and up to 15TF

A couple shared the chat with me they had with him since he claimed they had a devkit "under lock and key"

Got the wrong name perhaps? I have not worked on Sony hardware in a long time and I am no authority on their current offerings, I never made any claims about the PS5's TFs, and certainly never had "chats" with anyone here about such things. You must be thinking of someone else...

ChiefDada

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Got the wrong name perhaps? I have not worked on Sony hardware in a long time and I am no authority on their current offerings, I never made any claims about the PS5's TFs, and certainly never had "chats" with anyone here about such things. You must be thinking of someone else...
I won’t publicly say his name since things were said in private but It doesn’t surprise me he lied since he lost all credibility here anyhow when he claimed he was given special access to some game for PS5 about monsters and he was going to do a write up here on it and never did (clue to who it was for the NextGen Thread vets)

Plus has since been banned

I appreciate your clarification

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I won’t publicly say his name since things were said in private but It doesn’t surprise me he lied since he lost all credibility here anyhow when he claimed he was given special access to some game for PS5 about monsters and he was going to do a write up here on it and never did (clue to who it was for the NextGen Thread vets)

His name was Robert Paulson.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Last time tagge you on this but scrolling back through our chats he said you had a pretty early dev kit that was crashing often and you requested a newer one and that one was 13+ TFs. I didn’t remember this but he said you received a final kit that was running up to 15 TFs, according to you.

Wild times that next gen thread was and the talks that followed

He clearly states on two different occasions you guys were good friends

Andrea Pessino

Just went back to those chats to confirm and yes he used your na

Last time tagge you on this but scrolling back through our chats he said you had a pretty early dev kit that was crashing often and you requested a newer one and that one was 13+ TFs. I didn’t remember this but he said you received a final kit that was running up to 15 TFs, according to you.

I agree that public names are not necessary. I will also confirm that all of the above is complete fiction. None of this ever happened, none of the statements attributed to me are actually mine.

With that said, I appreciate you clarifying this, and I apologize for the thread derail. :)

I agree that public names are not necessary. I will also confirm that all of the above is complete fiction. None of this ever happened, none of the statements attributed to me are actually mine.

With that said, I appreciate you clarifying this, and I apologize for the thread derail. :)

Sounds like it was part of the pre launch PS5 FUD campaign. Lots of lies were made from ever since the Github leak happened. Just a shame that individual tried to drag you into it.

rnlval

Precedents and currently available hardware. We simply extrapolate from there. Not going to listen to a bunch of leakers talk out of their asses. We've been down this road before. None of them has real and reliable inside info. Those specs at least seem believable so we can use them as a baseline.

It had better be more power efficient since it's a more mature technology.

As for the bolded, this has been AMD's story for over a decade so eh. I recall all the hype before AMD moved to chiplet designs. NVIDIA is doomed! The NVIDIA killer is coming! Turns out they're still as mediocre as ever.

NVIDIA is not Intel.

onQ123

Osiris Black or that VFX guy?

FireFly

Secondly, you should know RDNA 3 GPU subsystem regressed vs RDNA 2 with gimped infinity cache.
The Infinity Cache was actually upgraded in RDNA 3, which allowed AMD to reduce the amount of it.

"Compared to RDNA 2, RDNA 3’s Infinity Cache is a bit slower to ramp up, and is at a disadvantage with less than half of its WGPs loaded. But when workloads scale to fill all the WGPs, RDNA 3’s Infinity Cache shows a substantial bandwidth advantage over RDNA 2’s."

RDNA 3 also has double the L1 cache and 50% more L2 cache.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
People opting for a cloud version of a game are not likely to be enthusiasts obsessed with IQ, otherwise they would just buy a console. You're opting for streaming because you're cost conscious or don't have access to the console at that immediate time. Streaming is for the people that wait till the end of the gen to pay $99 for the PS2.

The bigger issue is why would MS commit to the expense and disruption of a new hardware SKU (and development profile to service) to meet the demands of a small percentage of their audience/user-base? Because that's essentially the position they are in, and the bigger their streaming market becomes, the smaller and less significant the console segment becomes.

The split of sales favouring the S over X does not indicate that what they need is a high-end box, if anything it supports the argument for an even lower-cost hardware solution.

The Infinity Cache was actually upgraded in RDNA 3, which allowed AMD to reduce the amount of it.

"Compared to RDNA 2, RDNA 3’s Infinity Cache is a bit slower to ramp up, and is at a disadvantage with less than half of its WGPs loaded. But when workloads scale to fill all the WGPs, RDNA 3’s Infinity Cache shows a substantial bandwidth advantage over RDNA 2’s."

RDNA 3 also has double the L1 cache and 50% more L2 cache.

RDNA 3 doesn't have consistent doubling of size and more importantly bandwidth across its entire memory hierarchy, for example the L0 and L1 cache double in size but the bandwidth improvements are only around 50%. It's enough for wave32 workloads but in wave32 dual issue, and wave64 workloads RDNA 3 starts choking heavily because of the memory subsystems.

Unfortunately there were plenty of liars (some to look important, others to create FUD). Retrospectively the one good leak was the github one, it's just that we didn't know the clocks and the 9tf FUD was confusing.

I actually know one guy (on Internet) who knew the exact GPU clock of PS5 before everyone else. He obviously didn't disclose them and just made an inconspicuous post to prove he knew the clock. The guys who actually know the specs have few reasons to talk!

PeteBull

To not look far, look what BS digital foundry shitted out, not long ago, in late march this year lol
All the stupid takes were there, and those were supposed to be tech savy ppl, dunno if its coz of their bias but i seriously doubt same line of stupidity will be held when they inevitably discuss future xbox console ;)

To not look far, look what BS digital foundry shitted out, not long ago, in late march this year lol
All the stupid takes were there, and those were supposed to be tech savy ppl, dunno if its coz of their bias but i seriously doubt same line of stupidity will be held when they inevitably discuss future xbox console ;)

Yes don't worry next Xbox will be the second coming of Jesus for them like XSS and XSX were.
based on the current node that we are on...
Tech savy much? Sony are going to release a console end of next year based on current node and tech? Hello. Learn a bit of console history next time before spouting nonsense.
AMD has nothing in their portfolio...
They can't know that. Only their customers can know that.

Rudius

100 dollars they announce this capable of 8k
It’s a selling point
8K support would be the most irrelevant spec in recent console history.

Where it would make a difference, and a significant one, would be in VR. PSVR2 is equivalent to 4K in total number of pixels, 8 million, and I can still see them; 32 million pixels would be beautiful in VR. However an "8K" PSVR3, if it hopefully exists, should be saved for the PS6.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
8K support would be the most irrelevant spec in recent console history.

Where it would make a difference, and a significant one, would be in VR. PSVR2 is equivalent to 4K in total number of pixels, 8 million, and I can still see them; 32 million pixels would be beautiful in VR. However an "8K" PSVR3, if it hopefully exists, should be saved for the PS6.
Yet the PS5 box says 8K already! What I meant was they will showcase some games in 8K casuals and most don't understand TF and MHZ speeds or ram speeds or care what that means. They Do understand 4K and 8K is bigger and better and that's what sells. If I put a tv that says 8k and one that says 4k side by side and sell at same price your buying the 8k because your brain instantly thinks better. When that means nothing.

I agree with you it's irrelevant, but marketing 101 is to talk Bullshot and make it colorful.

1. It doesn't. In Fidelity Mode, the 3080 averages 60fps and the PS5 48fps, that's a 25% performance advantage to the 3080. In Performance Mode, the 3080 is 17% faster.

2. NxGamer argues that these differences aren't due to the GPU but to the PS5's better IO which prevents the massive temporary drops of the 3080. It has much higher highs but also much lower lows. Furthermore, Nixxes also issued several patches to address the streaming issues.

3. The DRS in this game doesn't work the same on PC vs console. That's coming straight from Nixxes:

DRS on PS5 functions differently than it does on PC. DRS on PS5 works from a list of pre configured resolutions to choose from with limits on the top and bottom res with course adjustments (aka 1440p down to 1296p). PC DRS is freefloating and fine-grain. If you turn on IGTI with DRS set to 60, it will max your GPU essentially at the highest and most fine grain res possible.

And we can actually see that in NxGamer's own footage. Not only is the image obviously blurrier on PS5, but the plants are a dead giveaway that PC operates at a higher resolution.

M8JlGT4.png

Here?

The 3080 is something like 5% faster than the 4070. There isn't a single game where the PS5 performs like the 4070 and you haven't shown one. The best it can do is be in the league of a 2080 Ti/3070. 3080/4070 are way out of reach.

I'm talking about PS5 exclusives that run particularly well on PS5. Generally, the 2080 Ti is quite a bit faster than the PS5. And yeah, agreed with the 4070/4070S-ish tier of performance.

It has FSR which usually performs within 5% of DLSS. Their performance is typically identical. Same for XeSS on Intel hardware. No upscaling solution is much more performant than the others if they're using the same internal resolution.

Without knowing what Sony has in store, it's impossible to tell. Based on how DLSS, FSR, and XeSS perform though, I would expect the same performance as those 3 given the same resolution but with IQ closer to DLSS and XeSS than FSR. Better image stability, better resolve of fine details, more temporal stability, etc.
No he didn’t just say that he also said the 3080 is very likely running into vram limitations which is also affecting the performance basically the cpu heaviness, the io, subsystem, and vram limitations is why the 3080 has lower lows despite higher highs. Also keep in mind in this benchmark the cpu here is a decent bit better than the one in the ps5 instead of a ps5 match so it may be benefitting the 3080 slightly. I didn’t say the ps5 was out gpuing the 3080 you didn’t need to get insecure about that

I just spent the last few pages debunking his shit. The 4070 is hilariously stronger than the PS5's GPU from a hardware perspective so I don't even know why he entertained this idea. The PS5 generally performs in line with a 2070S to 2080. It gets wiped by a 3070 in Alan Wake II and in general really. Comparing it to a 4070 doesn't even make sense. The guy tried to take the worst performing game, took a benchmark with a huge CPU bottleneck and at a resolution that favors weaker cards but still came up massively short.

ChiefDada ChiefDada Classic laughing emoji when you got no rebuttal. You always end up looking like a clown whenever you get into PC discussions. As I said, stick to consoles. You don't even follow the hardware market on PC, which shows with your utterly ignorant takes.

You meant 2 games and even in these two games, it doesn't.
Assuming those specs are remotely true but between you and I, what are the odds that they are? Who has the final specs sheets a year before the thing is even out? If Sony comes out and say AMD has found a way to cram 96 CUs clocked at 5.5GHz with HBM3 and 1.5TB/s of bandwidth at 120W, then obviously my prediction will be completely wrong.

PS: Those specs are 99% likely to be bullshit anyway.
I just realized we are having this argument because your going by the leaked specs when comparing if so I agree there is no chance the ps5 even equals a 4080 let alone outperforms it my contention was I don’t believe in those specs I think they will be quite a bit better than it. Though not as extreme as what you joked about

Cute, but unless Kepler is Mark Cerny's twitter handle, why should I believe anything he says? No one has the final specs sheet of the PS5 Pro so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. And a 10% uptick in clock frequency from its already huge TDP? Sure.

The L3 cache saw a small decrease but the link between the L2 and L3 cache was widened considerably, resulting in a much higher throughput for N31. Hardly gimped.

The 4070 Ti is faster than the 7800 XT. The 7800 XT is barely an improvement over its predecessor and often times comes within 5% of it depending on the workload. In other cases, it can be a tad faster, like 10-15% but you won't see it improve its performance by 30%. It also has a massive TDP of 285W (the biggest limiting factor). The 7800 XT is just a poorly named 7700 XT.

The PS5 Pro's GPU needs to roughly halve the thermal output of the 7800 XT to fit in a console environment. It needs to be on a smaller node with enormous power efficiency improvements and unlike high-end AD102-104, the power efficiency hasn't been cranked far past its maximum.

Those specs aren't looking particularly great unless you believe there are some enormous as-of-yet-to-be-revealed improvements.
I dont believe in the specs at all I know Sony could do better than that. Those might be the old specs that haven’t been updated yet

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I appreciate the kind words, have always enjoyed chatting with you as well my friend

Andrea Pessino had told a couple of people here who he knew the PS5 devkit was minimum 13TF and up to 15TF

A couple shared the chat with me they had with him since he claimed they had a devkit "under lock and key"
Technically the TF equivalency was right on the old RDNA node before the efficiency of RDNA 2. People just couldn't wrap their heads around what Cerny explained plain as day and/or were being intellectually dishonest on purpose.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I still weep inside that we will never see the continuation of the 1886 story, and what could have been with PS5 hardware in your team's hands.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Technically the TF equivalency was right on the old RDNA node before the efficiency of RDNA 2. People just couldn't wrap their heads around what Cerny explained plain as day and/or were being intellectually dishonest on purpose.
I appreciate Andrea chatting with me and clearing this up

Its sad people felt the need to reach out to me directly and straight lie about stuff like this leading up to the launch of this gen

Maybe they picked Andrea thinking there was no way any proof would ever come of it

Osiris Black or that VFX guy?
Could have been one of those two but I wont confirm it ;)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So what are the specs?

Is the PS5 Pro worth getting then?

Sorry I've not been up to speed on happenings with the new upcoming hardware.
Nothing has been confirmed yet and worth getting will be very subjective as you know

If someone wants the best place to play until the PS6 the answer will be yes

If someone is totally happy with the current PS5 than I wouldn't upgrade

Personally I want the very best place to play GTA6 and that might be the Pro at time GTA launches, MAYBE

Edit - Oh did I answer your question?

Christian Bale Idk GIF

Last edited:

Oh shit I do have this PM as well! I don't know his real name but I do know who the user is!

Andrea Pessino Andrea Pessino he did tell me he was friends with you and some other folks at Sony at the time and you/your pals showed him a behind the doors demo which he went into in detail, which made it sound credible tbh.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Oh shit I do have this PM as well! I don't know his real name but I do know who the user is!

Andrea Pessino Andrea Pessino he did tell me he was friends with you and some other folks at Sony at the time and you/your pals showed him a behind the doors demo which he went into in detail, which made it sound credible tbh.
Yeah I reread all of his PMs to me and he told me more than once he was a close personal friend of Andrea and too he said the same thing Andrea gave him personal access to that demo

Nothing has been confirmed yet and worth getting will be very subjective as you know

If someone wants the best place to play until the PS6 the answer will be yes

If someone is totally happy with the current PS5 than I wouldn't upgrade

Personally I want the very best place to play GTA6 and that might be the Pro at time GTA launches, MAYBE

Edit - Oh did I answer your question?

Christian Bale Idk GIF

After I killed my PS4 Pro trying to clean it i might just get the next pro console instead. I've been away from PS for a few years now and I'm keen to get back to console gaming.

So yeah I'm going to likely be in the same boat to play GTA6 at the best possible settings on the new pro console.

I just can't see myself waiting it out for the PC version of the game and my GFX card might just not be enough to play it anyways.

I guess I can't expect native 4K current gen games but I would like some sort of noticable visual upgrade just like PS4 Pro over PS4.

Did you answer my question? - Maybe....I Don't Know....Not Really

😂

Geruda065

How on earth do you market the device like this. If its only ray tracing push this time. I still have friends who passed on PS4 Pro. Like it only does 4k? Nah i'm fine.

twilo99

This is not "next gen" but its better than "current gen" , so that makes it what? mid gen?

Is "mid gen" generally held back by "current gen" or that's ok?

Andrea Pessino

Yeah I reread all of his PMs to me and he told me more than once he was a close personal friend of Andrea and too he said the same thing Andrea gave him personal access to that demo

OK you guys are making me curious as to what this supposed demo was... or who "my pals" were. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Just to be clear: I only replied to this thread because sharing trade secret information with *anyone* not disclosed is a big problem, all the more so for those in a position of leadership. We are talking about closed platforms here. As someone who has worked on a number of unreleased platforms, sometimes from very early on, I cannot stress enough how seriously these issues are taken. This applies to all owners (even tho' some are more paranoid than others :messenger_winking: ), with good (or at least understandable) reasons.

Under no circumstances I would vent about devkit issues or hardware performance with (real) close friends, I would never do so even with family members. Such discussions are strictly limited to disclosed collaborators. There are often restrictions as to who can be disclosed (or when) even within a team working on an unreleased platform! Hell, you don't talk about dev things even *after* a system is publicly available. Ever notice how little is openly debated about dev kits, tools, APIs, etc. even for existing platforms? Again, valid and rather obvious reasons.

So, to sum up: assume that any unofficial/speculative/hearsay info about proprietary environments, *especially* of the hotly anticipated unreleased kind, is bullshit. Most of the time you will be right.

Top Bottom