• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro devkits arrive at third-party studios, Sony expects Pro specs to leak

It does but with VRR.

My TV has VRR and I can see the readouts. Its no where near a locked 60fps and I can feel it while gaming.

I can confirm MikeM's statement. My TV also has VRR with frame rate readouts and while VRR does not magically lock the frame rate to 60fps. Elden Ring runs, from my recollection, mostly between 52 and 57 FPS, with occasional spikes to 60 and occasional drops into the 40s.

That being said, mid 50s with VRR works fine for me as VRR matches the TV's frame rate to the game's frame rate to minimize screen tearing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You mean that in a good way?

Season 3 No GIF by The Office

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think the reveal will be big on raytracing performance and not brute strength
Not sure how much I'd want this. Ray tracing is so prohibitively expensive that the compute needed to achieve great results is simply too high and seldom worth it. It sounds like something that should be a focus fir the next-generation, unless they made a major breakthrough.

Current games still operate at resolutions that are simply too low and increasing the quality of shadows, resolution, draw distances, LOD, and everything else that needs to be addressed would be a smarter and more rewarding way of using the extra power of the Pro.

Ray tracing can make a big difference when path traced but come on, we know path tracing isn't happening this generation of consoles. I think it's a nice bonus but considering the number of things that still need to be better in rasterization, a big focus on ray tracing doesn't sound all that exciting to me.

Last edited:
I think the reveal will be big on raytracing performance and not brute strength
PS5 Pro will do for this gen what PS4 Pro did for the PS4 gen. Whatever bells and whistles that are added during that gen will get better. PS4 Pro was better at higher resolutions, framerates, etc.... This time it's all that and ray tracing capabilities will be upgraded. It's not a new gen. It will expand what the PS5 started and do it better. Anyone expecting something major is only setting themselves up to be disappointed tbh.

Not at 699. Path-tracing would be a 1699 console.

I’ll be happy to run the current PS5 Elden Ring build with quality/ray-tracing mode at 60 fps. My life would be complete.
Actually can they combine the quality and rt mode aka make it native 4k with the rt and run it at 60 on pro I think that would be nice as well as offer an ai upscale 8k resolution mode

At best it will run at native 4K/30 fps. Keep your dreams in check.
you are aware if they still use zen 2 there is literally 0 chance the console will be 699 right? I thought you saying 699 meant you expected a cpu upgrade that would actually make it 60

It wasn't. PS4 Pro was just operating with a much higher internal resolution. It was typically 1920x2160 checkerboarded to 4K. That will tend to be quite a bit better than 800p or 1200p upscaled to 1440p or 4K.

I just find it odd that the internal resolution has taken such a massive hit, frequently dropping lower than 1080p which was the most typical resolution for the regular PS4. Sure, games are visually much more complex than before but the PS5 is also 10x more powerful than the PS4, so you'd think they would be able to maintain the resolution all the while significantly increasing the visual fidelity.

I think it might be the first generation where image quality has actually taken a step back in certain cases. Although I guess it's not really fair to compare the PS4 Pro to the PS5 and we should compare the PS4 to the PS5 instead. The PS5 Pro will probably never fall to sub-HD resolutions.
The pro could fall sub hd when talking 120fps modes but that’s fine

Thirty7ven

Banned
Pro will be 699. You can bookmark this.

Absolutely not, it will replace the slim at 549.99$.

People forget PS4 pro launched at 399.99$.

It will continue the trend. You have to understand the Pro will cost Sony the same to manufacture as a PS5 did at launch, but you have to adjust for inflation this time around as we have seen a price increase.

The whole point is to reach a certain price point, this isn’t MS doing an Xbox One X as a marketing backflip attempt on narrative.

And you have to account for sales slowing down next year, we are going to see a lot of discounts until they become the permanent new price for the slim.

Last edited:

PeteBull

I’d honestly be dissapointed if it’s just a 4070 in pure raster hoping it gets updated to be more a 4070ti if not 4080 in raster. This is a $599-699 console afterall
Bro, u know current prices of gpu's? Amd's current strongest card is roughly on pair with 4080 in raster, and that card costs over 900usd in its cheapest variant https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RR...eon-rx-7900-xtx-24-gb-video-card-11322-02-20g

And to reach such performance it has tdp of 355W, aka at least +60% vs whole ps5pr0 can have, maybe xbox in 2026 can have specs of similar grade, made on 3nm or 2nm or some node inbetween.
We can dream of amazing ps5pr0 specs but we still gotta be somewhat realistic here.

Lets look at specs of ps4pr0, launched in nov 2016, had 4,2tflop so very decent, but compare it to amd gpu's at that time
launched june 2016 so was already avaiable, 5,8tflop, even tho tdp was 150W so midrange card (232mm die, 230$ msrp launch price) it still was stronger in raw specs from gpu in the console(mostly coz of console form factor, aka lower clocks/lower heat/power limit in ps4pr0).

Now look at supposedly gpu that will be base/template for ps5pr0 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839
263W tdp, 346mm die size, and its about 70% stronger from gpu in base ps5).
Thats upper limit of what we gonna get, if that 4nm process proves to be so good that tdp of the gpu gets lowered enough to be contained in console form factor.

Same ol G

Soooo, do we have confirmation that this thing actually exists or is it another nothing burger.
I remember every leaker claiming Switch pro existed even some more reputable sources started the crap that they got information.
Then after the Oled was launched those idiots were all like "Covid changed the plans" yeah fucking right, admit you're wrong and move on.
My question is do we have some sort of confirmation or is this another case of "my uncle works at Sony" bullshit.

omegasc

My take:
Current industry fever is ray tracing, so I guess custom hardware to help with that to save CPU load, making higher clocked Zen 2 OK, with compatibility untouched.
Add some extra GPU power for higher res + DLSS-like upscaling and it would already be in a good path.

Speaking of custom, was the Tempest chip used for anything else other than audio? I remember Cerny saying it was similar to the SPUs on the PS3 and could be used for other processing.

Calverz

If you didn't have a warrior history- this would normally be overlooked. Move along troll.
If the slim is £480, despite being cheaper to manafacture and console being on market for over 3 years now. The pro will be £599. Sony love to fleece their fan base. And they take it like good little boys. 😂

Last edited:

Del_X

I thought for a while it would be $599 but I'm having a hard time seeing it given the modest bump in memory. My guess is no disc drive and $499. The existing disc drive will be compatible with the new model. Technically only a modest price bump.

Bro, u know current prices of gpu's? Amd's current strongest card is roughly on pair with 4080 in raster, and that card costs over 900usd in its cheapest variant https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RR...eon-rx-7900-xtx-24-gb-video-card-11322-02-20g

And to reach such performance it has tdp of 355W, aka at least +60% vs whole ps5pr0 can have, maybe xbox in 2026 can have specs of similar grade, made on 3nm or 2nm or some node inbetween.
We can dream of amazing ps5pr0 specs but we still gotta be somewhat realistic here.

Lets look at specs of ps4pr0, launched in nov 2016, had 4,2tflop so very decent, but compare it to amd gpu's at that time
launched june 2016 so was already avaiable, 5,8tflop, even tho tdp was 150W so midrange card (232mm die, 230$ msrp launch price) it still was stronger in raw specs from gpu in the console(mostly coz of console form factor, aka lower clocks/lower heat/power limit in ps4pr0).

Now look at supposedly gpu that will be base/template for ps5pr0 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839
263W tdp, 346mm die size, and its about 70% stronger from gpu in base ps5).
Thats upper limit of what we gonna get, if that 4nm process proves to be so good that tdp of the gpu gets lowered enough to be contained in console form factor.
The 7900xtx is not equal to a 4080 in raster it’s usually %20 faster unless the game blatantly favors nvidia cards. 2nd I’m focused on Rdna 4 tech with the comparison

Tn
Absolutely not, it will replace the slim at 549.99$.

People forget PS4 pro launched at 399.99$.

It will continue the trend. You have to understand the Pro will cost Sony the same to manufacture as a PS5 did at launch, but you have to adjust for inflation this time around as we have seen a price increase.

The whole point is to reach a certain price point, this isn’t MS doing an Xbox One X as a marketing backflip attempt on narrative.

And you have to account for sales slowing down next year, we are going to see a lot of discounts until they become the permanent new price for the slim
Tbf a $699 pro is possible… but definitely not with the specs we are discussing here.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I’d honestly be dissapointed if it’s just a 4070 in pure raster hoping it gets updated to be more a 4070ti if not 4080 in raster. This is a $599-699 console afterall
Yeah so you want a $600-700 console to match a $1200 GPU? Even if NVIDIA massively jacked up the prices and that the 4080 should really be $800, it won’t happen.

The 4080 is something around 3x the rasterization performance of the base PS5 and you expect the Pro to triple its performance all while maintaining a similar TDB after just 4 years?

It also won’t be $700. Be reasonable.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
Tn

Tbf a $699 pro is possible… but definitely not with the specs we are discussing here.
I’m not sure specs matter that much when people were paying 1200 USD for a PS5 during scalper season. Just my opinion, of course. Don’t forget that all hardware went up in price meanwhile as well.

Going from the performance of a 2070-2080 on a PS5 to a 4070 on a PS5 pro would be an incredible midgen update, I wouldn't understand the complaints (except for someone who was expecting a PS6 in 2024...).
I think it would be incredible if the console is $500-600 dollars not if it’s $699 especially when supposedly the gpu is the only thing upgraded and nothing else. And none of the specs discussed here even the most extreme ones would be anywhere near good enough for a ps6

Yeah so you want a $600-700 console to match a $1200 GPU? Even if NVIDIA massively jacked up the prices and that the 4080 should really be $800, it won’t happen.

The 4080 is something around 3x the rasterization performance of the base PS5 and you expect the Pro to triple its performance all while maintaining a similar TDB after just 4 years?

You are aware even in my example it would still have nowhere near the rt capabilities of a 4080 right or have dlss built in its solely the raster I’m discussing where consoles excel. And yes for more than $600 I don’t really expect anything less

And the 4080 is not 3x the raster power of a ps5 not even the 4090 is (that being 2.5-2.7x the raster power)

I’m not sure specs matter that much when people were paying 1200 USD for a PS5 during scalper season. Just my opinion, of course. Don’t forget that all hardware went up in price meanwhile as well.
Well yeah Sony could just completely rip everyone off I wouldn’t put it past them but I also think they want the pro to not be doa so I don’t think they would release these leaked specs for more than $600

Metro Exodus had one of the best ray-tracing implementations on consoles we've seen to date, and on PC.

Rumor was that the next Metro game has been fully playable for almost a year now, strange they haven't announced or released anything yet. There was a statement from 4A Games that they were fully revamping their engine to take advantage of the next-gen feature set.

Mark Cerny even name dropped them during his Wired video, my hunch is Sony would or should be looking at using the next Metro game as a showcase for the PS5 Pro's RT capabilities, I doubt the Pro will achieve path tracing but I could care less about that, but something like multi-bounce RTGI with reflections running around 1440P/60FPS would be enough of a showcase.

PeteBull

The 7900xtx is not equal to a 4080 in raster it’s usually %20 faster unless the game blatantly favors nvidia cards. 2nd I’m focused on Rdna 4 tech with the comparison
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7900-xtx.c3941 bruh, again, dont blame me, facts are facts, there will be some yt channels or sites with doctored results or agenda to make one or other card performance much better vs avg, but we dont have horse in this race.
Here u got HU that skews red both vs intel and vs nvidia, and even in their vid, recent one from oct 2023, there is only 7% difference between cards, not 20%
4k raster avg, so where it counts.

Top Bottom