• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Digital Foundry has new and VERY INTERESTING info about PS5 Pro GPU specs via DF Direct early access . I will not post their video or slide as I acknowledge they have to make a living but confirmed specs below:

1. 30 WGPs = 60 Active CUs
2. Configuration: 2 SEs/ 4 SAs (8-7 8-7)
2. 2.35 Ghz Max Boost Clock
3. GL2 Cache =4MB (Same as PS5)
4. GL1 Cache =256kb (PS5 =128kb)
5. GL0V Cache = 32kb (PS5 = 16kb) "Sony Specifically says this increase is to allow for better RT performance"

I'm still watching and will update you guys asap.

Edit:

- 2.35ghz is Absolute Max and will only occur in limited scenarios.
- PS5 Pro devkit looks identical to PS5 devkit
- Extra VRS features above DX12 = Subpixel rasterization offset MSAA. Should handle issues where VRS shows degradation (think Doom Eternal, Dead Space, Cyberpunk VRS artifacts on Xbox)

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Digital Foundry has new and VERY INTERESTING info about PS5 Pro GPU specs via DF Direct early access . I will not post their video or slide as I acknowledge they have to make a living but confirmed specs below:

5. GL0V Cache = 32kb (PS5 = 16kb) "Sony Specifically says this increase is to allow for better RT performance"

2.35ghz? Do they clarify if that's when running PS5 Pro optimized code (60CUs) without enabling the High CPU Frequency Mode or is it actually the clock speed of the Ultra Boost Mode (36CUs) for unpatched games?
- 2.35ghz is Absolute Max and will only occur in limited scenarios.
Ah, alright.

Still unclear what the Ultra Boost Mode would entail if this 2.35ghz figure is not its standard frequency.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Max boost clock? Was the clock in the PS5’s GPU referred to as such?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
60 CUs at 2.35 Ghz is higher than 33.5 TF

It's 36.1 TF

Yep, DF commented on this and chalked the discrepancy as Sony wanting to provide realistic figures. Per DF, Sony described the unit as very power conscious.

Yes but the difference is Sony said base PS5 should hit max 2.23ghz 99% of time. With PS5 Pro they expect to hit 2.35ghz only in select games. I wonder if it will be for the more intense or less demanding games?

Perrott

Gold Member
Kinda. The 2.23ghz figure was always refered to as the peak of a variable frequency, just like the CPU's 3.5ghz, due to the utilization of AMD SmartShift.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

That should put the Pro at 36 TFLOPs.

OverHeat

« generous god »
That should put the Pro at 36 TFLOPs.
HxzsKiY.jpeg

Gaiff

Yep, DF commented on this and chalked the discrepancy as Sony wanting to provide realistic figures. Per DF, Sony described the unit as very power conscious.

Yes but the difference is Sony said base PS5 should hit max 2.23ghz 99% of time. With PS5 Pro they expect to hit 2.35ghz only in select games. I wonder if it will be for the more intense or less demanding games?
If we're lucky, it'll be like the regular PS5 and actually hit those frequencies 99% of the time. If it's the case, we're looking at a slightly more powerful console than expected. That would be very nice.

winjer

Gold Member
Is it 3,840 x 4 x 2.35?

3840 CUs X 2 ops per clock cycle x 2 VODP X 2350

The question is how well will VODP work with RDNA4 and how well Sony's compiler will deal with this.

On another note, 2.35 Ghz is nothing special for an RDNA3 GPU on N5. So it could be that the Pro can handle those clocks very well.
If the Pro uses the same node and RDNA4, it should do even better. And if it uses N4, even better.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
L1 and L0 cache sizes seem to be i line with RDNA3. But L2 is smaller, at only 4MB.
Strange, because the L2 is hit hard during RT loads, with RDNA3. Maybe the new RT units don't need the L2 as much.
I have no idea of how RDNA4 has it's cache configured. But I would suppose it would be different.

uhUbqSa.jpeg

Loxus

Kepler is not always accurate with his info, you can go and check for yourself, the tweets are still there.

With that being said, so far these are the SE count of RDNA4.
Navi44 - 16WGP (2SE, 32CU, 64ROPs)
Navi48 - 32WGP (4SE, 64CU, 128ROPs)

So the WGP per SE is still the same as RDNA3.
8WGP or 16CU per SE.
PS5 having 4SE is more probable than 2SE.
2SE with that many CU seems to be inefficient as well.

With higher end RDNA4 going by Navi44/48, it appears to be still 8WGP or 16CU per SE.
And it seems each SED houses 2 Shader Engines.
RDwiOHU.png

Navi41
1SED = 2SE/16WGP(32CU)
6SED = 12SE/96WGP(192CU)
1AID = 2×64bit or (4×32bit GDDR PHY)
2AID = 4×64bit GDDR PHY = 256bit

Navi40
1SED = 2SE/16WGP(32CU)
9SED = 18SE/144WGP(288CU)
3AID = 6×64bit GDDR PHY = 384bit

The concept of 1SED having 2SE is the same as Zen4C CCD having 2CCX.
Y1RKfYs.png

Here we can see the size of 2SE.
eE3QN4H.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Kepler is not always accurate with his info, you can go and check for yourself, the tweets are still there.

With that being said, so far these are the SE count of RDNA4.
Navi44 - 16WGP (2SE, 32CU, 64ROPs)
Navi48 - 32WGP (4SE, 64CU, 128ROPs)

So the WGP per SE is still the same as RDNA3.
8WGP or 16CU per SE.
PS5 having 4SE is more probable than 2SE.
2SE with that many CU seems to be inefficient as well.

With higher end RDNA4 going by Navi44/48, it appears to be still 8WGP or 16CU per SE.
And it seems each SED houses 2 Shader Engines.
RDwiOHU.png

Navi41
1SED = 2SE/16WGP(32CU)
6SED = 12SE/96WGP(192CU)
2AID = 4×64bit GDDR PHY = 256bit

Navi40
1SED = 2SE/16WGP(32CU)
9SED = 18SE/144WGP(288CU)
3AID = 6×64bit GDDR PHY = 384bit

The concept of 1SED having 2SE is the same as Zen4C CCD having 2CCX.
Y1RKfYs.png

Here we can see the size of 2SE.
eE3QN4H.jpeg

THE:MILKMAN

Interesting. This confirms Kepler_L2's cryptic "[8 7] [8 7] tweet from last August was the config of PS5 Pro.

I also suspect the max clock of 2.35GHz will be an edge case mode for less GPU demanding games much more so than PS5 was/is. Especially if the rumour is true the Pro is still on N6. I'm curious to see how well they've managed to control power/heat if so.....

Gaiff

SE=Shader Engine
CU=Compute Unit
WGP=Work Group Processors

You have 64 shader units (not engines) per CUs and 2 CUs per WGP with RDNA 2/3. So 16 WGPs give you 32 CUs and 2048 SUs.

These are just the basic units of what makes up the GPU die. After that, there were talks about RDNA 3.5/4 modifying the number of WGP per SE compared to 2/3 but this leak seems to suggest it’s still 8 WGP (16 CUs) per SE.

Then you have things like where the caches are located relative to the SEs for more efficiency among other things. L0 cache per WGP, etc. He posted die shots for reference. It’s not nearly as complex as it looks. Just gotta know the acronyms for the different parts and their functions.

Last edited:
DF are saying that PS5 Pro supports Mesh Shaders as well, although a lot of context is missing here and it raises a lot of questions. What do they mean support? on a hardware level or a software level?

We already know PS5 has the hardware for Mesh Shaders, but there's a potential lack of API support. Maybe there's an updated API for the Pro?

We also know that Mesh Shaders aren't natively supported on AMD hardware (RDNA whitepapers don't make mention of Mesh Shaders either), they are compiled down to Primitive Shaders on all Radeon GPU's including the Series X/S. Maybe RDNA 3.5 and 4 introduce a new hardware feature which allows for native mesh shader support and the Pro will benefit from this.

sachos

2.35 Ghz Max Boost Clock
So its actually better than PS5 clock. Nice.

EDIT: Ok i read the rest of your comments. Seems only able to achieve that clock in special cases. I wonder what the clock will be 99% of the time. I also wonder if it can reach sustained Max Boost Clock when playing base PS5 games.
If it actually is able to reach 4070 raster performance for 600, wow, that GPU alone is like what? 550 usd?

Last edited:

5. GL0V Cache = 32kb (PS5 = 16kb
) "Sony Specifically says this increase is to allow for better RT performance"

2x more L0 and L1 caches. Not surprising (I was 100% expecting this) with the new CU structure (X1X is heavily L1 cache starved and has likely only 128kb L1 cache like PS5) and is likely where the better bandwith efficiency comes from. I was totally expecting some high max boost clock like this.

Last edited:

Gaiff

DF are saying that PS5 Pro supports Mesh Shaders as well, although a lot of context is missing here and it raises a lot of questions. What do they mean support? on a hardware level or a software level?

We already know PS5 has the hardware for Mesh Shaders, but there's a potential lack of API support. Maybe there's an updated API for the Pro?

We also know that Mesh Shaders aren't natively supported on AMD hardware (RDNA whitepapers don't make mention of Mesh Shaders either), they are compiled down to Primitive Shaders on all Radeon GPU's including the Series X/S. Maybe RDNA 3.5 and 4 introduce a new hardware feature which allows for native mesh shader support and the Pro will benefit from this.
I wouldn't read too much into this. As of now at least, the applications of Mesh Shaders and Primitive Shaders seem to be identical. Remedy and Ubisoft Massive didn't even mention Primitive Shaders, they said Mesh Shaders, full stop, and this included the PS5.

To this day, they use them interchangeably (actually, they never mention primitives) so I think the differences in applications are irrelevant since devs don't even make the distinction between them.

In regards to the clocks: it seems like the 33.5 Tflops could be a guaranteed minimum performance spec

As the console is power limited it seems plausible to me that 2.18 Ghz could be the worst case scenario, and 2.35 Ghz could be the best case scenario until the power limit is reached

This way, we could easily get the standard PS5 clock of 2.23 Ghz for the vast majority of games and that would help developers a lot as they target the base model first and THEN make improvements for the Pro

Last edited:

Tqaulity

It was always just a question of clock speeds which I'll remind folks isn't 100% confirmed until Sony releases the official specs themselves. I've said many times that the clocks weren't going to be lower than the base system. Absolutely min was going to be 60 CUs with dual issue (RDNA3+) with no clock increase (2.23 Ghz) = 34.3 TFLOPS. I was hoping we'd get at least a 10% clock bump which would put it at 2.45 Ghz (~38TFLOPS). I'm still really curious why there isn't a fixed clock increase for either the CPU or GPU assuming it's using RDNA 4 as rumored :pie_thinking: .

I'd just remind folks that 34-36 TFLOPs with 60CUs is ~6800XT level. That is in the 80-90% range for a real world FPS increase in games (assuming GPU bound). Nearly the 2x raster target that had been rumored for a while now:

qh4NqcH.png

Now if someone could explain the +45% "rendering performance" metric....?

Tqaulity

It was always just a question of clock speeds which I'll remind folks isn't 100% confirmed until Sony releases the official specs themselves. I've said many times that the clocks weren't going to be lower than the base system. Absolutely min was going to be 60 CUs with dual issue (RDNA3+) with no clock increase (2.23 Ghz) = 34.3 TFLOPS. I was hoping we'd get at least a 10% clock bump which would put it at 2.45 Ghz (~38TFLOPS). I'm still really curious why there isn't a fixed clock increase for either the CPU or GPU assuming it's using RDNA 4 as rumored :pie_thinking: .

I'd just remind folks that 34-36 TFLOPs with 60CUs is ~6800XT level. That is in the 80-90% range for a real world FPS increase in games (assuming GPU bound). Nearly the 2x raster target that had been rumored for a while now:

qh4NqcH.png

Another point to setup realistic expectations. Note that the average FPS at native 4K for even the lower end of these estimated cards (4070/6800XT) is comfortably above 60. That's native with no super resolution bumps and ultra settings which console games typically do not run at. So it's absolutely within the realm of possibility that most games will be able to run at native 4K/60fps on the Pro with these reported specs.

Now add in PSSR super resolution to handle the heavy cases and the RT intensive cases, and 1440p-4K/60fps w/RT would not be out of the realm of possibility either.

Think of it this way: how many games would be able to hit an average of 60fps on an RTX 4070 at 4K med-high settings with the help of DLSS or FSR? We're talking well over 75% across the board (less so for RT only games).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Maybe there's an updated API for the Pro?
Sony APIs for past 3 gens are basically just mirroring GPU native instruction-set, it's as thin and as close to the hw as you can get (the only way to go closer is the PS2 way where they just dumped instruction set to developers and make them write machine code directly - yes, GPU programming on PS2 was literal machine code - there were no higher abstractions or even assembler for it).
But I digress - basically, unless there's a literal 'MeshShader' construct in the RDNA4(or whatever ISA revision PS5Pro is based on) hardware - I wouldn't expect API to reflect anything different.

I'd just remind folks that 34-36 TFLOPs with 60CUs is ~6800XT level. That is in the 80-90% range for a real world FPS increase in games (assuming GPU bound).
I wouldn't use another-platform benchmarks to infer relative positioning of two console GPUs, no matter how 'comparable' they seem on paper. There's tons of counter examples showing it makes for a poor methodology for comparison basis.
Also the 45% number may be a bit of a red-herring - Sony's own tests from same leaks show examples of games on Pro doubling resolution and/or framerate, suggesting that at least 'some' parts of the pipeline indeed double in speed. The question is what that averages out to (which is what that first number was presumably for).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
SE=Shader Engine
CU=Compute Unit
WGP=Work Group Processors

You have 64 shader units (not engines) per CUs and 2 CUs per WGP with RDNA 2/3. So 16 WGPs give you 32 CUs and 2048 SUs.

These are just the basic units of what makes up the GPU die. After that, there were talks about RDNA 3.5/4 modifying the number of WGP per SE compared to 2/3 but this leak seems to suggest it’s still 8 WGP (16 CUs) per SE.

Then you have things like where the caches are located relative to the SEs for more efficiency among other things. L0 cache per WGP, etc. He posted die shots for reference. It’s not nearly as complex as it looks. Just gotta know the acronyms for the different parts and their functions.

QRS = ???
TUV = ???
WX = ??
YZ = ??

shamoomoo

Interesting,the RX 7700 only has 2MB of L2 cache though it has like 8x infinite cache.

Gaiff

I've been ignoring this since I saw it. Not sure what it refers to but in terms of raw performance, I expect the Pro to perform 70-80% better than the regular PS5, which would put it in the ballpark of a 3080.

45% would only put it on the level of a 6800, even a bit slower, so this never made sense to me. 4 years and 2 generations won't lead to that small of a performance increase.

Synless

initially I was pretty psyched for PS5 pro but this gen has been like warm for me at best.

I am fucking hyped for the new switch though, I will be getting one of those and my next main gaming system will likely be whatever the new steam deck is when they launch as I have been tinkering with my sons and it’s pretty damn good.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I wonder if the previously mentioned 2.18GHz might clue us in as to where the base PS5's Continuous Boost scheme bottoms out when under heavy utilisation. I recall it being mentioned it only drops something like ~2% on the rare occasion it does drop. Perhaps it's the same here but the top end has just been pushed up; and it adheres a little more loosely.

Even having a patched title with lower clocks might complicate things.

I understand it's deterministic, so For eg. (under heavy utilisation/using complex instruction)

PS5: 2.23GHz with rare drops from the peak to 2.18GHz
PS5 Pro: 2.35GHz with more common drops from the peak as far as 2.23GHz, then drops occurring at the same rate as PS5 from there down to 2.18GHz

..?

Last edited:

Elios83

Interesting news, really looking forward to see this thing getting announced with another Cerny ASMR presentation "pie_tears_joy:

Top Bottom