• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Imtjnotu

Dunno what more u need, bro, 60-70% stronger gpu, same cpu but with mild overclock, much more raytracing performance(likely over 2x), we already know everything except actual physical look and price(but price wise it will likely be 500 to 600usd so really low margin of error here either).
We are about 2,5-3months before reveal event, we are patient enough xD
I need pictures of the unit. I need pictures of games running and pictures of you

nial

Gold Member
A value-add that would actually get me to get a PS5 Pro would be to offer more backwards compatibility, at least PS1-PS2 with increased pixel resolution or some other upscaling method. I know they offer cloud streaming versions of older games, but the latency sucks.
? You can download them (also PSP).

vivftp

Maybe but if they don’t announce anything which they haven’t people won’t wait a few months. Price drop for holidays to sell out inventory and announce it in Jan. Hope I’m wrong but it’s possible

Nah, there's absolutely zero reason to suspect anything is amiss. Announcement in September for a November release is fully expected and normal based on historical precedent.

PeteBull

Nah, there's absolutely zero reason to suspect anything is amiss. Announcement in September for a November release is fully expected and normal based on historical precedent.
Exactly, sony will definitely bank on holidays period to push massive numbers of pr0s so devs feel preasure for pr0 modes again, in 2025 when gta launches and we got 10 maybe 15m pr0 consoles in the wild even rockstar will bend the knee and release gta6 with proper pr0 enhancements, not to mention other devs.

Jesb

60-70% in rasterisation, much more in ray tracing coz base ps5 has pretty terrible rt capabilities, thats all according to leaks/common sense.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-7800-xt.c3839 gpu will be this one just downclocked so ps5pr0 can stay total under 220W(whole console powerdraw, not just gpu), hence u can take away 10-15% perfromance from this gpu and u get very close to actual ps5pr0 performance.
That DF direct about PS5 pro made it seem like it’s a small upgrade.

PeteBull

Small/big isnt quantitative, we can talk proper %ages, for some1 60% stronger gpu is small, for other guy that additional 60% more oomph and cpu overclock means 60fps mode with drs(dinamic resolution scaling) finally doesnt drop res to switch like numbers and holds stable 60 like it should have in the first place even when shit hits the fan- aka many enemies on screen, our character/party doing special attacks/combos etc :)

TrebleShot

Gold Member
Makes sense it looks the same.as the launch unit.

Phones etc usually look holistically the same with improvements over performanc under the hood with minor changes.

Imagine it keeps costs down. Means they don't need to resdisgn new packaging etc.

Skifi28

DF have been constantly complaining about bad image quality (and rightfully so) and when that gets addressed with the pro, it's suddenly all about the CPU which hasn't really been an issue so far. For supposed tech enthusiasts, sometimes they seem to not care about new tech unless it's an overpriced GPU.

Last edited:

vivftp

Exactly, sony will definitely bank on holidays period to push massive numbers of pr0s so devs feel preasure for pr0 modes again, in 2025 when gta launches and we got 10 maybe 15m pr0 consoles in the wild even rockstar will bend the knee and release gta6 with proper pr0 enhancements, not to mention other devs.

No one will have to "bend the knee". Sony will have a mandate for Pro compatibility past a certain cutoff date, but it'll be entirely up to the studios how far they wanna push things. Many third party games already have PC settings that can punch above what the base PS5 can do so one would think a lot of those games might utilize some of those higher settings on the Pro version. Or games that have performance and quality modes might combine them into one definitive mode for the Pro.

It's entirely possible that Sony has locked down the marketing for GTA6 as they've been a long time partner of Rockstar. In that case, it'd make sense for both companies to mutually work towards a Pro version of the game to be able to show it off in the best possible light, since that will be the best version of the game available at launch to use for marketing.

Radical_3d

Will PS5 owners upgrade to Pro? I don't think console owners like constantly upgrading their system like a PC. Majority will just wait for PS6 which is the logical thing to do.
Only psychos like gaffers.
I need pictures of the unit. I need pictures of games running and pictures of you
I’ve got something better…
I visited PS packaging HQ where this everything gets boxed in Terre Haute IN but not allowed to talk about what we saw :)

f94fa56e-093a-44ff-8e60-cf489466b1ca_text.gif

PeteBull

DF have been constantly complaining about bad image quality (and rightfully so) and when that gets addressed with the pro, it's suddenly all about the CPU which hasn't really been an issue so far. For supposed tech enthusiasts, sometimes they seem to not care about new tech unless it's an overpriced GPU.
They are biased towards xbox consoles hard those last few years, so u as a consumer need to think for urself in the end.

Being techsavy guys they produced that terrible series S review

when they are praising that midget of a console and trying to upsell it to less techsavy console crew, we here on gaf tried to warn ppl to not go with it but many ppl bough it nonetheless.
Reality is and was- series S was only 200$ cheaper but had 3x weaker gpu from series X(4 vs 12 tflops), lower vram(10 vs 16) and less ssd space, tldr, it was costing 60% of series X but was offering u around 30-40% of series X value.
Edit:
Especially for a person that buys games regurally series S vs X price difference of 200$ is literally 3 games, over lifespan of whole console gen thats peanuts so again terrible deal.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Dunno what more u need, bro, 60-70% stronger gpu, same cpu but with mild overclock, much more raytracing performance(likely over 2x), we already know everything except actual physical look and price(but price wise it will likely be 500 to 600usd so really low margin of error here either).
We are about 2,5-3months before reveal event, we are patient enough xD
Can we expect games like horizont run at 4k 60fps ? Really don't care about Ray tracing...

Mobilemofo

Yeah when Sony revealed Astrobot I was really hoping we would be playing that on the Pro but not happening so it seems.

We have had a lot of confirmation from different places that are considered pretty trustworthy or at least those places got the Dev documents
Even after the astro announcement, still a bit early. I bet we're at the finalisation stage, with software being enhanced for launch. End.of august we start getting Twitter ads etc.

onQ123

I’m starting to think we may not get a 20 and let's go ahead and add on 24 launch. Could be wrong but if they don’t announce soon it’s basically July now they might slip to early 2025 with the switch 2
It's a pro console they don't need a big lead up to its release so they will keep it quiet & not kill off PS5 sells by running their mouths too soon. They could announce the PS5 Pro like 1 month before release.

Will play perfectly fine on a base ps5. Ps5 pro is not needed unless you want better upscaling for 4k. Then again I use 1080p and was fine with my launch ps4 until it started heating the room better than our house furnace and sounded like a jet.

Regardless gta6 isn't going to be as demanding as you all think it has to sell multimillions and Rockstar is not going to make people get 4000+ series cards just to run the game.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Sorry for the bump people hoping for more spec leaks but seems launch window “is really close” to Black Ops 6 launch.
PS5 Slim was released on a Friday (November 10, 2023), so I'm guessing November 15, 2024 for PS5 Pro. I would have said on a Thursday before, as SIE used to release their refresh consoles on those days, but not anymore after PS5 Slim. Oh, and it's 100% for November.

PeteBull

Can we expect games like horizont run at 4k 60fps ? Really don't care about Ray tracing...
On base ps5 HFW and its xpack was running 1800p checkerboarding in 60fps mode or 4k30fps in fidelity, obviously with no cuts u would need 2x stronger cpu/gpu for 4k60 , so we definitely wont get that(remember gpu is 60-70%, not 100% stronger, not to mention only mild overclock on the cpu).

We might get 1800p non checkerboard 60fps mode(that mode obviously has visible cuts so cpu can keep up with 60fps, so more pop up etc) or 4k40fps maybe but with 0 cuts, like 4k30 was on base ps5.

If u wanna play HFW at 4k60fps stable and even above ps5 graphics, there is a way tho:

4090 is 3x stronger from ps5, not 60-70% stronger, and obviously costs pretty pennty too, not 500-600$ like whole ps5pr0 gonna cost :)

PeteBull

No one will have to "bend the knee". Sony will have a mandate for Pro compatibility past a certain cutoff date, but it'll be entirely up to the studios how far they wanna push things. Many third party games already have PC settings that can punch above what the base PS5 can do so one would think a lot of those games might utilize some of those higher settings on the Pro version. Or games that have performance and quality modes might combine them into one definitive mode for the Pro.

It's entirely possible that Sony has locked down the marketing for GTA6 as they've been a long time partner of Rockstar. In that case, it'd make sense for both companies to mutually work towards a Pro version of the game to be able to show it off in the best possible light, since that will be the best version of the game available at launch to use for marketing.
U are right on one thing, but remember how series S versions are treated, we experienced it so many times, lack of 60fps mode, huge res/texture cuts(4k vs 1080p in some cases), shadows or/and rt cuts, some other cuts too.

My point is- the faster and more ps5pr0 has big instalbase, especially among most hardcore players- the guys who buy 70$ games at launch- the more devs will prioritise pr0 mode, aka put more work in balancing/optimising for it.

Last gen Xbox one X had that problem- it was massively stronger from base consoles and noticably stronger from ps4pr0 but it had tiny instal base, so many dev studios didnt put much work into those versions at all, especially among 3rd party.

Alebrije

On base ps5 HFW and its xpack was running 1800p checkerboarding in 60fps mode or 4k30fps in fidelity, obviously with no cuts u would need 2x stronger cpu/gpu for 4k60 , so we definitely wont get that(remember gpu is 60-70%, not 100% stronger, not to mention only mild overclock on the cpu).

We might get 1800p non checkerboard 60fps mode(that mode obviously has visible cuts so cpu can keep up with 60fps, so more pop up etc) or 4k40fps maybe but with 0 cuts, like 4k30 was on base ps5.

If u wanna play HFW at 4k60fps stable and even above ps5 graphics, there is a way tho:

4090 is 3x stronger from ps5, not 60-70% stronger, and obviously costs pretty pennty too, not 500-600$ like whole ps5pr0 gonna cost :)

Thanks , still PS5 PRO looks nice with those spects, price will be an important factor. Hope PS6 can deliver 4k 60fps when released.

PeteBull

Thanks , still PS5 PRO looks nice with those spects, price will be an important factor. Hope PS6 can deliver 4k 60fps when released.
About those mythical 4k60, it all depends on graphic fidelity, base ps5 has enough gpu and cpu oomph to run og tetris in 16k 240fps, yet it doesnt matter coz by today's standard such game would be ugly af.
Yet if we take current pinacle what is avaiable on consoles- so matrix demo- it dips below 20fps while not even running it at 1440p(there is some smart upscaling method implemented there ofc so it doesnt look super pixelated).

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do! I'm a geek, sue me. Maybe if they have been giving VIP tours? to people like yourself, maybe Sony will do a How It's Made-Like video tour!
It really just comes down to all in who you know and the US especially is not fair to those who don't have those "contacts" honestly.

I am just lucky enough to have played Baseball and came from the same small town as Mike Braun who is likely Indiana's next Governor and who I know very well

One evening at a fund raiser talking with other "big shots" from Southern IN we somehow got on the subject of Playstation being in Terre Haute and I asked whats the chances I could see inside this place and voila a few days later I am watching them package games and consoles

Will PS5 owners upgrade to Pro? I don't think console owners like constantly upgrading their system like a PC. Majority will just wait for PS6 which is the logical thing to do.
I probably would if the PS6 wasn't going to be backward compatible, but since it most likely will, I'll wait. It will give me more to play at launch anyway since those times are bare for a few months.

vivftp

It really just comes down to all in who you know and the US especially is not fair to those who don't have those "contacts" honestly.

I am just lucky enough to have played Baseball and came from the same small town as Mike Braun who is likely Indiana's next Governor and who I know very well

One evening at a fund raiser talking with other "big shots" from Southern IN we somehow got on the subject of Playstation being in Terre Haute and I asked whats the chances I could see inside this place and voila a few days later I am watching them package games and consoles

What a coincidence! Same thing happened to me but in my story a few days later I was watching them package Jim Ryans gold plated underwear (they were boxers, not briefs)

:pie_gsquint:

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have any thoughts regarding this supposed PlayStation handheld that's been rumored?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
What a coincidence! Same thing happened to me but in my story a few days later I was watching them package Jim Ryans gold plated underwear (they were boxers, not briefs)

:pie_gsquint:

Out of curiosity, do you happen to have any thoughts regarding this supposed PlayStation handheld that's been rumored?
Have not heard anything about the PS handheld :(

Top Bottom