• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Rank it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Banjo64

cumsessed
B+ from me.

Wasn’t expecting them to smash it after a lacklustre e3, but they did.

Banjo Kazooie on NSO.
N64 controller.
Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land.
Metroid Dread.
Bayonetta 3.
Splatoon 3.
Triangle Strategy.

Nintendo bringing the games.

YukiOnna

B+/A for me. Lot's of things I want to play and I wasn't spoiled on Kirby or Bayonetta so that was nice.

Reactions: Isa

anthony2690

C+

A lot better than their earlier showing imo.

3D Kirby game looks decent.(I'll grab this for the other half next year)
Castlevania advance collection, any news on price or anything? Want to buy it on Xbox.
Bayonetta 3 looked decent, I've already shifted my switch though, I couldn't ever go back to 30fps, wish bayonetta games were on other platforms though.
Splatoon 3 will be decent.
N64 games coming to switch, it's a massive shame that it's tied to a subscription though, just let people buy the titles they want.
Megadrive games coming to switch was unexpected, but isn't very exciting either due to the fact there is millions of megadrive collections already.

Javthusiast

Banned
Owns Cristiano Ronaldo GIF

Honestly, I loved it (for the most part).

Kirby: Seattle Day 1 looks fantastic, I can't complain about having more 3D platformers and Kirby in particular is one of my favourite Nintendo IPs. It has tons of potential to be much more than a 2D platformer series. Actraiser was an unexpected surprise for me, although I'll be getting that one on PS. The board selection for the "new" Mario Party ended up being quite good, I can't wait to try that one out with my mates as well.
Both of the first looks (Bayo 3 and Splatoon 3) look quite interesting as well, I can't wait to see more of them.

I think it's quite cuntish of them to lock N64 games behind another NSO paywall, although I'll end up paying whatever extra they ask for just to have access to Paper Mario 64, Banjo, S&P, and Crystal Shards. It was also disappointing to not see the new Smash character today, and the fact that we'll have to wait even more to see whatever update they have planned for New Horizons is mind-blowing to me. Too little, too late for that.

EDIT: Oh, and Yoko Taro's new RPG is a day one purchase from me as well!

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Plenty of fun stuff available on the Switch. I just wish they had a few more big hitters for long time Nintendo fans like myself. But I gave up on that a long time ago anyway.

I gave it a B.

Herr Edgy

C. Some decent new games but a lot seemed just kinda meh. Also still no new Monolith Soft game.
It took them only around 2.5 years after the initial Xenoblade X launch to launch Xenoblade 2. Around one more year, September 2018, for a large expansion with a lot of new content including story cut scenes.
It's been 3 years since then and we haven't even seen a trailer.

What is Monolith doing?

Splatoon was the highlight for me.

Apart from that, Metroid Dread/Bayonetta/Kirby all look really good. The Mario announcement was hilarious as well seeing just how star-studded the cast is.

I really enjoyed.

Sensei

C.
I didn't like the time wasted for promoting the Mario movie and the various announcements of announcements (Smash, Animal Crossing).
Glad to finally have some news on Bayonetta 3, but sadly no Silksong...

Jadsey

Upgraded it to a D for the subscription ‘expansion pack’….I haven’t laughed so much in ages.

Got to admire their balls. Show a whole bunch of ports, a PS3 looking Bayonetta and then tell you they are going to charge you more to play a bunch of really old games.

I’m staggered.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Gonna give it a C because they failed to excite me, with anything. But this doesn’t mean the games shown were bad.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I thought it was pretty great, but gave it a B. The only reason was they withheld the animal crossing and smash info. Why have an announcement for an announcement in there at all??? Otherwise great show.
The Mario movie stuff had me laughing 🤣

C.
It was passable. On one hand we finally got some Bayonetta 3, and on the other we got multiple "hey we will have more info on this stuff in the future" bullshit.

Without Splatoon and Bayonetta it would be an F for me honestly.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I'm kinda done with Directs, 40 minutes of mostly filler is just boring. Just release trailers on their own so I don't have to watch all the anime and indie crap.

Perrott

SSS

This was not only the best digital event/showcase of this year so far, but one of the greatest and strongest showings of the last couple of years.

What a banger show, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't even own a Switch.

Honestly, I loved it (for the most part).

Kirby: Seattle Day 1 looks fantastic, I can't complain about having more 3D platformers and Kirby in particular is one of my favourite Nintendo IPs. It has tons of potential to be much more than a 2D platformer series. Actraiser was an unexpected surprise for me, although I'll be getting that one on PS. The board selection for the "new" Mario Party ended up being quite good, I can't wait to try that one out with my mates as well.
Both of the first looks (Bayo 3 and Splatoon 3) look quite interesting as well, I can't wait to see more of them.

I think it's quite cuntish of them to lock N64 games behind another NSO paywall, although I'll end up paying whatever extra they ask for just to have access to Paper Mario 64, Banjo, S&P, and Crystal Shards. It was also disappointing to not see the new Smash character today, and the fact that we'll have to wait even more to see whatever update they have planned for New Horizons is mind-blowing to me. Too little, too late for that.

EDIT: Oh, and Yoko Taro's new RPG is a day one purchase from me as well!

LMAO

The Last Kirby Of Us

This was a great Direct, B+ only misses an A/A+ because I was hoping for a Metroid Prime trilogy remaster or Twilight Princess and Wind waker HD

Vagswarm

I'd go with a low C just to be fair. They showed a decent amount of stuff but not much that I'm particularly interested in. A lot of their kind of games don't appeal to me, and I already played the likes of Disco Elysium on the PC. The new online tier was trash, but the Mario movie balanced it out.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
An "A" for me... shit just kept me going from cheer to cheer, I have lots of other stuff to play so I don't care about a million new things coming... Hell, I've been wanting to play SF64 soooo bad these months! ♥

F -.

No remastered Metroid Prime trilogy.

Fuck you Nintendo.
Did they promise it to you? Cause I don't remember, so I'll just go with "they have nothing to do with your arbitrary expectations"

Codes 208

-kirby game looks cute and im intrigued by it being fully 3d.
-NINTENDO 64!!
-splatoon 3 looks fun.
-metroid dread continues to look great.

Solid B for me.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Pros,
Dread looks sick, I’m really excited for it now.
Triangle Strategy looks good.
Disco Elysium will be bought unless it runs like shit.
New Kirby and Bayo 3 next year.

Cons:
Making me believe there would be Astral Chain 2
Tons of ports
Everything is 2022 now
50 bucks for an N64 controller, no thx I’ll keep my Xbox emulators

Overall: solid B

Last edited:
Gave it a D. I liked the Monster Hunter expansion, Splatoon 3, maybe the card game from Square. Otherwise there just wasn't much I was personally interested in. The paid N64 upgrade is a travesty. I'm happy they moved Smash and Animal Crossing to their own streams since I don't give a damn about them. I hate the Mario movie. Nintendo's 2021 has just been disappointing for me and this Direct didn't do much to change that.

93xfan

Banned
D. I was okay “renting” classic games as it came with the online. At an increased price that they are too scared to mention, I’m not thrilled. Add in that it’s missing WaveRace, the emulator likely still doesn’t do textures correctly, and we don’t have GBA games coming with it, and I’m disappointed.

All the Sega rentals probably means no more sega ages.

No Zelda or Metroid remasters.

No new Mario, Donkey Kong, or Mario Kart

Most exciting thing was castlevania collection, which I’ll buy on another platform.

Woopah

Solid C+ (or 3* using my previously established system). It did what it needed to do.

Still don't care about Nintendo online and am surprised Splatoon 3 didn't get a date, but I'm happy for a 3D platformer and Triangle Strategy coming early next year, plus some good Japanese third party support. Happy for Bayo fans as well. Also this doesn't add to the score but that Mario casting is weird.

I'm surprised people are complaining about the way they handled Smash and Animal Crossing. To me the best approach is to have them as separate events.

EruditeHobo

As far as I could tell it's better than most Nintendo shows, in terms of overall represented value. If I were a much different person and wanted much different things from my gaming console, I would probably be pretty happy with that. But in terms of a presentation which sheds new light & info on what to expect coming up from Switch, ie in terms of me looking for something (a release slate) that I might actually be interested in playing, it was, as usual for Nintendo, quite poor.

Actraiser remaster or whatever, handheld Castlevania collection, N64/Genesis extra sub tier, nostalgic controllers for 50 apiece, Kirby, another Splatoon, a Bayonetta that looks like it would be a really terrific-looking PS3 mid-gen title, Animal Crossing & Golf Game updates... this kind of stuff all ranks very, very low for me personally. I'm excited to play Dread & Triangle; nothing else is something I would ever consider paying for.

Hence, in my personal opinion it's a D. But ordinarily Nintendo is an F, so this is technically progress as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom