• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Nintendo Direct

Rank it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcjmetroid

C... Very high highs but some baffling lows.

Are you not embarrassed to be showing off games like Chocobo racing?
Can you imagine if Sony or Microsoft showed off a game like that?

It's one thing to be showing off a cute indie game but Jesus what was this.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
B thanks to Actraiser and Kirby alone.

A new Actraiser has been a pie in the sky dream for me for a long time so any kind of major new game was gonna get me good. The visuals are definitely disappointing but everything else is good.

A 3D Kirby has also been something I've always wanted since 2D Kirby has never really seemed to do it for me.

Splatoon 3 with mammals is definitely interesting.

Castlevania Collection will be mine soon enough.

The Dread showing felt pretty redundant, I expected more of a Final Trailer thing for it. Instead it was just a mini overview trailer.

No BOTW was a bit disappointing but no big deal.

Genesis and N64 is pretty cool, and I actually want that N64 controller since I always enjoyed it. Not sure why people hated that controller.

IDGAF about Bayonetta.

Mario Party looks great.

The Mario Movie cast could turn out well but man Chris Pratt as Mario is some super weird shit. I don't even like the guy but I'm willing to give him a chance. He/they better not fuck this up. I want that Mario movie to be really damn good and not just over the top silliness n shit.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
C. Some decent new games but a lot seemed just kinda meh. Also still no new Monolith Soft game.
It took them only around 2.5 years after the initial Xenoblade X launch to launch Xenoblade 2. Around one more year, September 2018, for a large expansion with a lot of new content including story cut scenes.
It's been 3 years since then and we haven't even seen a trailer.

What is Monolith doing?
Helping with BOTW2?

Herr Edgy

Helping with BOTW2?
They were helping with BOTW while Xenoblade 2 was made. BotW released March 2017, Xenoblade 2 released end of 2017.
EDIT: To expand on that, they also have, what is it, 3 studios by now? Monolith isn't a small company, they work on multiple things at once. Not hearing anything from them for 3 years is weird.
It indicates one of the following:
a) Technical difficulties like with Xenoblade X. Took forever, tons of bad design, scrapped story for a lacklustre multiplayer mode in which you waited longer for people to play with than actually playing together. The result was an engine they could reuse, resulting in the much faster dev cycle for Xenoblade 2.
b) Marketing purposes, holding back any information so they have less hype droughts.

Last edited:
Was literally a 10/10 for me. Imo

Things i liked:

Finally reason to buy Animal Crossing as a late comer
MH dlc
3D kirby
Splatoon freeroam world
Metroid dread looking good
Bayonetta 3
NSO improving (hope its not too expensive)
Jack Black as Bowser GET SOME lol

Aldric

C. Some decent new games but a lot seemed just kinda meh. Also still no new Monolith Soft game.
It took them only around 2.5 years after the initial Xenoblade X launch to launch Xenoblade 2. Around one more year, September 2018, for a large expansion with a lot of new content including story cut scenes.
It's been 3 years since then and we haven't even seen a trailer.

What is Monolith doing?
Quite a lot, they have three main projects including a brand new IP (look at the bottom pages):

sublimit

Banned
They were helping with BOTW while Xenoblade 2 was made. BotW released March 2017, Xenoblade 2 released end of 2017.
EDIT: To expand on that, they also have, what is it, 3 studios by now? Monolith isn't a small company, they work on multiple things at once. Not hearing anything from them for 3 years is weird.
a) Technical difficulties like with Xenoblade X. Took forever, tons of bad design, scrapped story for a lacklustre multiplayer mode in which you waited longer for people to play with than actually playing together. The result was an engine they could reuse, resulting in the much faster dev cycle for Xenoblade 2.
b) Marketing purposes, holding back any information so they have less hype droughts.
I know they helped on BOTW that's why i thought they could be helping on BOTW2 as well. That and the fact that their games are huge in scope as well as the problems that came from covid i could easily see why it takes them so long even if they are a very big studio.
And there's also the possibility they may be working on a new IP (like that fantasy project that was leaked a long time ago) on a new setting which means a lot more work than if they were working on Xenoblade 3.

Herr Edgy

I know they helped on BOTW that's why i thought they could be helping on BOTW2 as well. That and the fact that their games are huge in scope as well as the problems that came from covid i could easily see why it takes them so long even if they are a very big studio.
And there's also the possibility they may be working on a new IP (like that fantasy project that was leaked a long time ago) on a new setting which means a lot more work than if they were working on Xenoblade 3.
My point was that they were helping while also producing another game that was huge in scope. So them helping with BotW2 shouldn't imply they are being slow otherwise. Also Xenoblade 2 has virtually nothing in common with Xenoblade 1 outside of the overarching narrative structure. I do think they are producing a new IP but I don't think the scope is going to change much.

Nautilus

Banned
What kind of horrible grading system is that on the poll?Use numbers for gods sake, much more intuitive.

Regarding the topic, I would give it a 7/10. Hyped for Kirby and Bayonetta.The rest was good, but nothing mindblowing.

Woopah

Nate was spot on about the N64 stuff and he said Xenoblade 3 was supposed to come out this year but got delayed. It could be a Games Award announcement or Feb Direct announcement.

Fbh

C.

+ Kirby looks surprisingly good
+ Voice of cards looks cool
+ Castlevania Advance collection, out now is cool too
+ Bayonetta 3, finally!

- Bayonetta 3 looked a bit underwhelming after the long wait
- Everything else was a bit meh

Hoppa

B. Not much for me apart from Monster Hunter but it was a good presentation. They just got in, smashed out all the announcements and got out. No 4 minute trailer of cyber hippies playing chess and doing parkour for no reason

ZoukGalaxy

F
Over It Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO

It was a borefest for me.

Metroid DREAD does not count since it's not a new announced game.

Last edited:
Solid B to B+. Nothing earth-shattering a la Twilight Princess reveal level of hype, but had good pacing, lots of cool announcements (honestly 2022 is gonna be tough on the purse....), and a very nice climax at the end ;)

C. Kirby was nice, glad bayo isn’t vaporware but it wasn’t too impressive of a demonstration. But the final game i’m sure will be good.

C... Very high highs but some baffling lows.

Are you not embarrassed to be showing off games like Chocobo racing?
Can you imagine if Sony or Microsoft showed off a game like that?

It's one thing to be showing off a cute indie game but Jesus what was this.
It’s true, I was thinking this is some ryan’s world tier mario kart rip shovel ware lol.

Top Bottom